From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: As we have but two ears...
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 10:59:37 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 10:59 UTC

How is it when out in the world, we can know a sound is from above us? I
was musing this last night in bed, and came to the conclusion that it was
because you do not do so consciously, you do move your head, and hence your
ears and the brain then knows by the phase changes. That I think is why
binaural sound is so hit and miss, as when you move your head, there is
nochange.
However what it does not explain is how the surround sound in cinemas works.
Surely even given multiple speakers, some on the ceiling, the actual
positioning is going to be inaccurate, yet, listening to a helicopter on a
film coming from behind you, over the top and then in front of you was very
realistic.
Brian

--

--: