Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards. -- Benjamin Franklin

aus+uk / uk.telecom / Last ever printed phone book

SubjectAuthor
* Last ever printed phone bookTweed
+* Re: Last ever printed phone bookThe Natural Philosopher
|+* Re: Last ever printed phone bookCodger
||`- Re: Last ever printed phone bookTweed
|`* Re: Last ever printed phone bookBrian Gaff
| `- Re: Last ever printed phone bookLiz Tuddenham
+- Re: Last ever printed phone bookMark Carver
`* Re: Last ever printed phone bookNY
 +- Re: Last ever printed phone bookChris J Dixon
 `* Re: Last ever printed phone bookJMB99
  `* Re: Last ever printed phone bookCodger
   `* Re: Last ever printed phone bookJulian Macassey
    `* Re: Last ever printed phone bookCodger
     `* Re: Last ever printed phone bookCodger
      `* Re: Last ever printed phone bookJulian Macassey
       `- Re: Last ever printed phone bookCodger

1
Last ever printed phone book

<uqd668$1h6ep$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2359&group=uk.telecom#2359

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Last ever printed phone book
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 13:24:24 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:dpip0d3qkJemP+MoJPpHfm/bVbA=
 by: Tweed - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 13:24 UTC

A printed BT phone book has just been delivered. It’s a very slim volume,
nothing like the volumes of years past. It also claims to be the last ever.

Re: Last ever printed phone book

<uqd7je$1hlk7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2362&group=uk.telecom#2362

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Re: Last ever printed phone book
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 13:48:30 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 13:48 UTC

On 12/02/2024 13:24, Tweed wrote:
> A printed BT phone book has just been delivered. It’s a very slim volume,
> nothing like the volumes of years past. It also claims to be the last ever.

I had one of those, too. Not sure what happened to it.

--
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and
wrong.

H.L.Mencken

Re: Last ever printed phone book

<l2uo1qFhpf6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2366&group=uk.telecom#2366

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 14:24:55 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 14:24 UTC

On 12/02/2024 13:24, Tweed wrote:
> A printed BT phone book has just been delivered. It’s a very slim volume,
> nothing like the volumes of years past. It also claims to be the last ever.

I'll keep my one when it arrives for the grandchildren (along with a
selection of newspapers I purchased for them on Sept 9th 2022)

Re: Last ever printed phone book

<jfqksil6gis3a2s290kh94j95u1c5gp5s6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2377&group=uk.telecom#2377

From: codger524@gmail.com (Codger)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 18:58:47 +0000
 by: Codger - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 18:58 UTC

On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 13:48:30 +0000, The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 12/02/2024 13:24, Tweed wrote:
>> A printed BT phone book has just been delivered. It’s a very slim volume,
>> nothing like the volumes of years past. It also claims to be the last ever.
>>

>I had one of those, too. Not sure what happened to it.

Of very little use. Even the area code / decode listings have been omitted.

Re: Last ever printed phone book

<uqdquc$1lv70$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2378&group=uk.telecom#2378

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 19:18:36 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:on9kpeeShK5qm020IUQXIsTiEqc=
 by: Tweed - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 19:18 UTC

Codger <codger524@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 13:48:30 +0000, The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 12/02/2024 13:24, Tweed wrote:
>>> A printed BT phone book has just been delivered. It’s a very slim volume,
>>> nothing like the volumes of years past. It also claims to be the last ever.
>>>

>> I had one of those, too. Not sure what happened to it.
>
> Of very little use. Even the area code / decode listings have been omitted.

Not in the one just delivered

Re: Last ever printed phone book

<uqgb6g$26obr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2392&group=uk.telecom#2392

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 18:08:15 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 18:08 UTC

So no more strong men tearing them in half then? I'd imagine a baby could
tear one of the little ones. So what now then? I remember the days when
every phone box had a directory. I have no problems as I get free directory
enquiries being blind, but what about everyone else?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"The Natural Philosopher" <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 12/02/2024 13:24, Tweed wrote:
>> A printed BT phone book has just been delivered. It's a very slim volume,
>> nothing like the volumes of years past. It also claims to be the last
>> ever.
>>

> I had one of those, too. Not sure what happened to it.
>
> --
> For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and
> wrong.
>
> H.L.Mencken

Re: Last ever printed phone book

<1qovrln.lnlzakkwg934N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2396&group=uk.telecom#2396

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 19:10:33 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 19:10 UTC

Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> So no more strong men tearing them in half then?

No need to be strong, I've done it and I am pretty feeble.

The technique is to grip the spine strongly so that the pages can't
slide over each other, then you have a rigid beam. When you bend it,
one side of the spine will be under compression and the other side under
tension, but the length-to-thickness ratio acts like a lever (or unequal
bell-crank) and multiplies the force. One side of the beam fails in
tension and a crack propagates across the spine, then you just pull one
half towards you and push the other half away and it shears into two
separate pieces.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Last ever printed phone book

<SnqdnQw9P-I3JX34nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2502&group=uk.telecom#2502

Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:02:33 +0000
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
 by: NY - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:02 UTC

On 12/02/2024 13:24, Tweed wrote:
> A printed BT phone book has just been delivered. It’s a very slim volume,
> nothing like the volumes of years past. It also claims to be the last ever.

Just had ours. 112 pages, and that's a combination of domestic/business
entries and classified "Yellow Pages" type entries.

I wonder how big it would been at its thickest, when almost everyone
wanted to be in it, before the days of nuisance calls and most people
choosing to be ex-directory.

I wonder what proportional of landline phone customers choose to be
included in the searchable web-site "phone book" nowadays.

I have "fond" memories of trying to get round the ex-directory status of
someone, to pass on an urgent message, back in the days before mobile
phones. My parents were at their holiday cottage in a tiny village of
about ten houses and two farms. I knew that everyone in the village was
going to a party at the house of a couple who were social workers and so
who chose to be ex-directory to avoid abusive calls from their "clients".

My grandma phoned and from her slurring speech and her confusion, I
diagnosed a slight stroke - she didn't drink so it wouldn't have been
alcohol that was causing it.

I needed to let my parents know (after I'd phoned her GP and my sister
who lived closer that I did) but how should I do it? All of the other
people in the village (who *were* in the directory) weren't answering
their phones because they were at the party. Directory enquiries
wouldn't put my call through, even without revealing the number to me,
or even pass on a message asking my parents to ring me. I eventually had
to phone the local police station (at least it was still staffed in
those days) and they sent out a car to pass on the message.

The good news is that although my grandma started to decline from that
time and was non longer able to live in her own home, she survived for
another five years in various care homes.

Re: Last ever printed phone book

<i4d3uitsaajanvbi6aj01e87g7ka8qjgdr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2503&group=uk.telecom#2503

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 11:03:07 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 11:03 UTC

NY wrote:

>I wonder how big it would been at its thickest, when almost everyone
>wanted to be in it, before the days of nuisance calls and most people
>choosing to be ex-directory.

Our removals van was late on the day, BT had already changed the
number and wouldn't tell me what it was (ex-directory), so nobody
could ring back to explain what was (not) happening. Eventually
it arrived, accompanied by a breakdown truck.

This was way before mobiles. After a couple of calls, during
which my incredulity that BT would not tell me the number of the
instrument I had in my hand got me nowhere, they eventually
compromised by contacting the new owners, to get them to call us
and tell us the number.

Also way before usenet, so I didn't know about the ringback
number.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Last ever printed phone book

<usmh62$3h60q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2511&group=uk.telecom#2511

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 08:59:47 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 08:59 UTC

On 29/02/2024 17:02, NY wrote:
> I needed to let my parents know (after I'd phoned her GP and my sister
> who lived closer that I did) but how should I do it? All of the other
> people in the village (who *were* in the directory) weren't answering
> their phones because they were at the party. Directory enquiries
> wouldn't put my call through, even without revealing the number to me,
> or even pass on a message asking my parents to ring me. I eventually had
> to phone the local police station (at least it was still staffed in
> those days) and they sent out a car to pass on the message.

Didn't there used to be several levels of ex-directory.

The usual one used would put the call through after asking the person if
they would take the call.

The highest level (NQR?) would not even admit that there was a person of
that name with a phone.

It is funny looking through WWII telephone directories, many military
sites are not listed but other quite secret sites, are listed!

Re: Last ever printed phone book

<4tbuuidmbpgr8jb8r1ats0i74mq04o9a36@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2512&group=uk.telecom#2512

From: codger524@gmail.com (Codger)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:30:41 +0000
 by: Codger - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:30 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 08:59:47 +0000, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

>It is funny looking through WWII telephone directories, many military
>sites are not listed but other quite secret sites, are listed!

Wasn't there at one time a London Director exchange DEF (333) solely for the Security Services and
Ministry of Defence - all ex-directory, naturally!

Re: Last ever printed phone book

<slrnuv0dni.174ji.julian@n6are.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2513&group=uk.telecom#2513

From: julian@n6are.com (Julian Macassey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 11:05:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Julian Macassey - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 11:05 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:30:41 +0000, Codger <codger524@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 08:59:47 +0000, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>

>>It is funny looking through WWII telephone directories, many military
>>sites are not listed but other quite secret sites, are listed!
>>

> Wasn't there at one time a London Director exchange DEF (333)
> solely for the Security Services and Ministry of Defence - all
> ex-directory, naturally!

My understanding was that DEF when dialed was answered by
an operator saying "Federal". You could ask for a gov dept,
including "Number 10" and "Number 11". I believe the exchange was
in the Foreign Office.

--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan

Re: Last ever printed phone book

<9j81vi97cc24a762lra3hbd8b0r4j1ulod@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2514&group=uk.telecom#2514

From: codger524@gmail.com (Codger)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:45:20 +0000
 by: Codger - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:45 UTC

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 11:05:22 -0000 (UTC), Julian Macassey <julian@n6are.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:30:41 +0000, Codger <codger524@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 08:59:47 +0000, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>>

>>>It is funny looking through WWII telephone directories, many military
>>>sites are not listed but other quite secret sites, are listed!
>>>

>> Wasn't there at one time a London Director exchange DEF (333)
>> solely for the Security Services and Ministry of Defence - all
>> ex-directory, naturally!
>
> My understanding was that DEF when dialed was answered by
>an operator saying "Federal". You could ask for a gov dept,
>including "Number 10" and "Number 11". I believe the exchange was
>in the Foreign Office.

Interesting, thanks!

Re: Last ever printed phone book

<jd91vi9jo7314ncm9lrq7c2c0h653e4mf0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2515&group=uk.telecom#2515

From: codger524@gmail.com (Codger)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:58:47 +0000
 by: Codger - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:58 UTC

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:45:20 +0000, Codger <codger524@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 11:05:22 -0000 (UTC), Julian Macassey <julian@n6are.com> wrote:

>>> Wasn't there at one time a London Director exchange DEF (333)
>>> solely for the Security Services and Ministry of Defence - all
>>> ex-directory, naturally!
>>
>> My understanding was that DEF when dialed was answered by
>>an operator saying "Federal". You could ask for a gov dept,
>>including "Number 10" and "Number 11". I believe the exchange was
>>in the Foreign Office.
>>
>Interesting, thanks!

Just found this on the web!
https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1960/mar/16/federal-telephone-exchange-westminster

Re: Last ever printed phone book

<slrnuv1m0g.17brb.julian@n6are.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2516&group=uk.telecom#2516

From: julian@n6are.com (Julian Macassey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 22:32:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Julian Macassey - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 22:32 UTC

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:58:47 +0000, Codger <codger524@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:45:20 +0000, Codger <codger524@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> My understanding was that DEF when dialed was answered by
>>>an operator saying "Federal". You could ask for a gov dept,
>>>including "Number 10" and "Number 11". I believe the exchange was
>>>in the Foreign Office.
>>>
>>Interesting, thanks!
>
> Just found this on the web!
> https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1960/mar/16/federal-telephone-exchange-westminster

Meanwhile as Murrica prepared for "The Big One" there was
the Autovon system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autovon

--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan

Re: Last ever printed phone book

<8uk2vit371vp906d5dd2if1fu5sdurg71o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2517&group=uk.telecom#2517

From: codger524@gmail.com (Codger)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 07:22:57 +0000
 by: Codger - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 07:22 UTC

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 22:32:48 -0000 (UTC), Julian Macassey <julian@n6are.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:58:47 +0000, Codger <codger524@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Interesting, thanks!
>>
>> Just found this on the web!
>> https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1960/mar/16/federal-telephone-exchange-westminster
>
> Meanwhile as Murrica prepared for "The Big One" there was
>the Autovon system.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autovon

"We cannot connect your call at this moment. Lines to and from Armageddon are busy. Please try
later."