It's documented in The Book, somewhere... -- Larry Wall in <10502@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: German server

SubjectAuthor
* German servermaus
+* Re: German serverJohn Williamson
|+* Re: German servermaus
||+* Re: German serverJohn Williamson
|||`* Re: German servermaus
||| `* Re: German serverAhem A Rivet's Shot
|||  `- Re: German servermaus
||`* Re: German serverRustyHinge
|| +* Re: German serverJohn Williamson
|| |+* Re: German serverRustyHinge
|| |`- Re: German servermaus
|| +- Re: German servermaus
|| `- Re: German serverTone
|`* Re: German serverSam Plusnet
| `* Re: German serverRichard Robinson
|  `- Re: German serverNicholas D. Richards
`* Re: German serverJulian Macassey
 `- Re: German servermaus

1
German server

<slrnua502u.3tt.maus@darkstar.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23728&group=uk.rec.sheds#23728

From: maus@darkstar.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: German server
Date: 3 Jul 2023 08:01:34 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 08:01 UTC

I use news.individual.net, pay a small sum every year, and get a
satisfactory service.
BUT.

Recently, slrn does not find that server. By trying lots of things,
after all thta is what hackers do, I discover that if I ping
www.google.com for a moment, immediatelly after slrn will connect to
individual net.

Any ideas?. I know that if you have a mobile phone that wont find a
server in remote areas, if you make an emergency call, for a few moments
later, your mobile will get a server out.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Boris, The Once and Future P.M.

Re: German server

<kgfe6fF2qflU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23729&group=uk.rec.sheds#23729

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: German server
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 09:11:58 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 08:11 UTC

On 03/07/2023 09:01, maus wrote:
> I use news.individual.net, pay a small sum every year, and get a
> satisfactory service.
> BUT.
>
> Recently, slrn does not find that server. By trying lots of things,
> after all thta is what hackers do, I discover that if I ping
> www.google.com for a moment, immediatelly after slrn will connect to
> individual net.
>
> Any ideas?. I know that if you have a mobile phone that wont find a
> server in remote areas, if you make an emergency call, for a few moments
> later, your mobile will get a server out.

Using Thunderguts, I occasionally find NIN drops off the scene, (Headers
which I can't download the article for) but comes back after I restart
the browser or my wifi connection. It's been like that for ages.

I just accept it, after all, I doubt the news server is a major priority
for the university that runs the main swerver.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: German server

<slrnua52n5.4dn.maus@darkstar.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23730&group=uk.rec.sheds#23730

From: maus@darkstar.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 3 Jul 2023 08:46:29 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 08:46 UTC

On 2023-07-03, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 03/07/2023 09:01, maus wrote:
>> I use news.individual.net, pay a small sum every year, and get a
>> satisfactory service.
>> BUT.
>>
>> Recently, slrn does not find that server. By trying lots of things,
>> after all thta is what hackers do, I discover that if I ping
>> www.google.com for a moment, immediatelly after slrn will connect to
>> individual net.
>>
>> Any ideas?. I know that if you have a mobile phone that wont find a
>> server in remote areas, if you make an emergency call, for a few moments
>> later, your mobile will get a server out.
>>
> Using Thunderguts, I occasionally find NIN drops off the scene, (Headers
> which I can't download the article for) but comes back after I restart
> the browser or my wifi connection. It's been like that for ages.
>
> I just accept it, after all, I doubt the news server is a major priority
> for the university that runs the main swerver.

I must try thunder*. There was an notice at renewal time this years that
the service was only for the use of German taxpayers. US newsservers are
very expensive.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Boris, The Once and Future P.M.
Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the stench of Influencers

Re: German server

<kgfhauF39omU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23731&group=uk.rec.sheds#23731

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 10:05:33 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 09:05 UTC

On 03/07/2023 09:46, maus wrote:

> I must try thunder*. There was an notice at renewal time this years that
> the service was only for the use of German taxpayers. US newsservers are
> very expensive.

The rule changed a while ago as part of the money laundering rules, and
you can't open a new account from an IP address outside Germany. They
did, though, recently take my money from the UK with no problems.

Eternal September is widely respected and is donationware, but is text
only. A *lot* in here use it.

https://www.eternal-september.org/

I also have a dormant account at news.tornevall.net Again, if you use
it, the guy is happy to accept donations and add text groups if you
can't find the one you want on the server.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: German server

<slrnua57tq.4c3.maus@darkstar.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23733&group=uk.rec.sheds#23733

From: maus@darkstar.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 3 Jul 2023 10:15:22 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 10:15 UTC

On 2023-07-03, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 03/07/2023 09:46, maus wrote:
>
>> I must try thunder*. There was an notice at renewal time this years that
>> the service was only for the use of German taxpayers. US newsservers are
>> very expensive.
>>

> The rule changed a while ago as part of the money laundering rules, and
> you can't open a new account from an IP address outside Germany. They
> did, though, recently take my money from the UK with no problems.
>
> Eternal September is widely respected and is donationware, but is text
> only. A *lot* in here use it.
>
> https://www.eternal-september.org/
>
> I also have a dormant account at news.tornevall.net Again, if you use
> it, the guy is happy to accept donations and add text groups if you
> can't find the one you want on the server.

I do not need non-text groups, after all, after cleaning three daughters
bums, I know what girls look like under the covers. :)

I will try eternal.

Thanks for your reply.

ireland North and South are in a odd situation after Brexit. A lot of
European mainlanders do not realize that ireland is still in the EU

Again, Thanks

--
greymausg@mail.com
Boris, The Once and Future P.M.
Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the stench of Influencers

Re: German server

<20230703134410.6e9031ee3e878de3a99aa0b6@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23743&group=uk.rec.sheds#23743

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 13:44:10 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 12:44 UTC

On 3 Jul 2023 10:15:22 GMT
maus <maus@darkstar.org> wrote:

> ireland North and South are in a odd situation after Brexit. A lot of
> European mainlanders do not realize that ireland is still in the EU

It might help if we didn't drive on the left[NS] and use BS 1363
plugs and sockets instead of Schuko.

[NS} Changing that would make the border interesting.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: German server

<u7uj75$3n8ac$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23747&group=uk.rec.sheds#23747

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 14:41:57 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 13:41 UTC

On 03/07/2023 09:46, maus wrote:
> On 2023-07-03, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On 03/07/2023 09:01, maus wrote:
>>> I use news.individual.net, pay a small sum every year, and get a
>>> satisfactory service.
>>> BUT.
>>>
>>> Recently, slrn does not find that server. By trying lots of things,
>>> after all thta is what hackers do, I discover that if I ping
>>> www.google.com for a moment, immediatelly after slrn will connect to
>>> individual net.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?. I know that if you have a mobile phone that wont find a
>>> server in remote areas, if you make an emergency call, for a few moments
>>> later, your mobile will get a server out.
>>>
>> Using Thunderguts, I occasionally find NIN drops off the scene, (Headers
>> which I can't download the article for) but comes back after I restart
>> the browser or my wifi connection. It's been like that for ages.
>>
>> I just accept it, after all, I doubt the news server is a major priority
>> for the university that runs the main swerver.
>>

> I must try thunder*. There was an notice at renewal time this years that
> the service was only for the use of German taxpayers. US newsservers are
> very expensive.

Thunderbum is a newsreader not a server.

Eternal September is a free (but you can donate) server, and pretty
reliable.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: German server

<kgg40hF63cbU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23753&group=uk.rec.sheds#23753

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 15:24:16 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 14:24 UTC

On 03/07/2023 14:41, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 03/07/2023 09:46, maus wrote:

> Thunderbum is a newsreader not a server.
>
> Eternal September is a free (but you can donate) server, and pretty
> reliable.

Maus is using NIN, which is why he/she/it is moaning about paying ten
EUzu per year for the service.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: German server

<slrnua5nlo.1ph.maus@debian.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23759&group=uk.rec.sheds#23759

From: maus@debian.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 3 Jul 2023 14:44:08 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 14:44 UTC

On 2023-07-03, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On 3 Jul 2023 10:15:22 GMT
> maus <maus@darkstar.org> wrote:
>
>> ireland North and South are in a odd situation after Brexit. A lot of
>> European mainlanders do not realize that ireland is still in the EU
>
> It might help if we didn't drive on the left[NS] and use BS 1363
> plugs and sockets instead of Schuko.
>
> [NS} Changing that would make the border interesting.

Its kinda shock to cross and notice that distances are miles and not
mmetres. 30mph is possible, 30kph is miserable, and seems to becoming
ore common. Cheers.

maus

Re: German server

<slrnua5npl.1ph.maus@debian.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23761&group=uk.rec.sheds#23761

From: maus@debian.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 3 Jul 2023 14:46:13 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 14:46 UTC

On 2023-07-03, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> On 03/07/2023 09:46, maus wrote:

>>> Using Thunderguts, I occasionally find NIN drops off the scene, (Headers
>>> which I can't download the article for) but comes back after I restart
>>> the browser or my wifi connection. It's been like that for ages.
>>>
>>> I just accept it, after all, I doubt the news server is a major priority
>>> for the university that runs the main swerver.
>>>

>> I must try thunder*. There was an notice at renewal time this years that
>> the service was only for the use of German taxpayers. US newsservers are
>> very expensive.
>
> Thunderbum is a newsreader not a server.
>
> Eternal September is a free (but you can donate) server, and pretty
> reliable.

I am finding it hard to reconfigure .slrnrc for eternal. I like slrn.
Make a mstake and correct it with C-g

Re: German server

<u7un41$3nlje$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23762&group=uk.rec.sheds#23762

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 15:48:32 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 14:48 UTC

On 03/07/2023 15:24, John Williamson wrote:
> On 03/07/2023 14:41, RustyHinge wrote:
>> On 03/07/2023 09:46, maus wrote:
>
>> Thunderbum is a newsreader not a server.
>>
>> Eternal September is a free (but you can donate) server, and pretty
>> reliable.
>>
> Maus is using NIN, which is why he/she/it is moaning about paying ten
> EUzu per year for the service.

But he seems misinformed, or has grasped the wrong end of the stick
concerning Thunderpants.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: German server

<slrnua5nuc.1ph.maus@debian.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23763&group=uk.rec.sheds#23763

From: maus@debian.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 3 Jul 2023 14:48:44 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 14:48 UTC

On 2023-07-03, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 03/07/2023 14:41, RustyHinge wrote:
>> On 03/07/2023 09:46, maus wrote:
>
>> Thunderbum is a newsreader not a server.
>>
>> Eternal September is a free (but you can donate) server, and pretty
>> reliable.
>>
> Maus is using NIN, which is why he/she/it is moaning about paying ten
> EUzu per year for the service.

I am definately not moaning about the Euro 10 charge. Perhaps if it was
more, they could afford a constant watchman.

Re: German server

<slrnua5o3i.1t4.maus@debian.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23764&group=uk.rec.sheds#23764

From: maus@debian.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 3 Jul 2023 14:51:30 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 14:51 UTC

On 2023-07-03, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> On 03/07/2023 15:24, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 03/07/2023 14:41, RustyHinge wrote:
>>> On 03/07/2023 09:46, maus wrote:
>>
>>> Thunderbum is a newsreader not a server.
>>>
>>> Eternal September is a free (but you can donate) server, and pretty
>>> reliable.
>>>
>> Maus is using NIN, which is why he/she/it is moaning about paying ten
>> EUzu per year for the service.
>
> But he seems misinformed, or has grasped the wrong end of the stick
> concerning Thunderpants.

My I-Ching reading is "difficulty at the beginning".

Re: German server

<u7unth$3nlje$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23765&group=uk.rec.sheds#23765

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 16:02:09 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 15:02 UTC

On 03/07/2023 15:51, maus wrote:
> On 2023-07-03, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Maus is using NIN, which is why he/she/it is moaning about paying ten
>>> EUzu per year for the service.
>>
>> But he seems misinformed, or has grasped the wrong end of the stick
>> concerning Thunderpants.
>>
> My I-Ching reading is "difficulty at the beginning".

My I-Ching iscured by a thoroughly good scratching. (not pork)

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: German server

<u7ur87$3n2ed$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23768&group=uk.rec.sheds#23768

From: tone@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 16:59:02 +0100
 by: Tone - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 15:59 UTC

On 03/07/2023 14:41, RustyHinge wrote:
> Thunderbum is a newsreader not a server.
>
> Eternal September is a free (but you can donate) server, and pretty
> reliable.
>
> --

Wot 'e said

Tone

Re: German server

<arGoM.63386$GIe2.62678@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23776&group=uk.rec.sheds#23776

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 21:44:54 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 20:44 UTC

On 03/07/2023 09:11, John Williamson wrote:

> Using Thunderguts, I occasionally find NIN drops off the scene,

IRTA "drops off the scone" and was well impressed with this new (to me)
phrase.

As you were.

Re: German server

<u7veqr$3q7g8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23778&group=uk.rec.sheds#23778

From: richard@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 21:33:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 21:33 UTC

Sam Plusnet said:
> On 03/07/2023 09:11, John Williamson wrote:
>
>> Using Thunderguts, I occasionally find NIN drops off the scene,
>
> IRTA "drops off the scone" and was well impressed with this new (to me)
> phrase.
>
> As you were.

Got sconed ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: German server

<hdsXPjB281okFAOk@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23779&group=uk.rec.sheds#23779

From: nicholas@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 00:52:22 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 23:52 UTC

In article <u7veqr$3q7g8$1@dont-email.me>, Richard Robinson
<richard@qualmograph.org.uk> on Mon, 3 Jul 2023 at 21:33:15 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Sam Plusnet said:
>> On 03/07/2023 09:11, John Williamson wrote:
>>
>>> Using Thunderguts, I occasionally find NIN drops off the scene,
>>
>> IRTA "drops off the scone" and was well impressed with this new (to me)
>> phrase.
>>
>> As you were.
>
>Got sconed ?

Did someone burn the scones?
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: German server

<slrnuagovk.1n2q6.julian@n6are.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23947&group=uk.rec.sheds#23947

From: julian@n6are.com (Julian Macassey)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 19:13:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Julian Macassey - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 19:13 UTC

On 3 Jul 2023 08:01:34 GMT, maus <maus@darkstar.org> wrote:
> I use news.individual.net, pay a small sum every year, and get a
> satisfactory service.
> BUT.
>
> Recently, slrn does not find that server. By trying lots of things,
> after all thta is what hackers do, I discover that if I ping
> www.google.com for a moment, immediatelly after slrn will connect to
> individual net.
>
> Any ideas?.

Your dns is buggered.

Try setting up your newsreader to connect to:
130.133.4.11 rather than news.individual.net. So bypassing your
dns.

--
"I'm more interested in a world that works than what sells" —
Paul MacCready, Founder AeroVironment

Re: German server

<slrnuah1ht.ko6.maus@darkstar.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=23954&group=uk.rec.sheds#23954

From: maus@darkstar.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 7 Jul 2023 21:40:13 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 21:40 UTC

On 2023-07-07, Julian Macassey <julian@n6are.com> wrote:
> On 3 Jul 2023 08:01:34 GMT, maus <maus@darkstar.org> wrote:
>> I use news.individual.net, pay a small sum every year, and get a
>> satisfactory service.
>> BUT.
>>
>> Recently, slrn does not find that server. By trying lots of things,
>> after all thta is what hackers do, I discover that if I ping
>> www.google.com for a moment, immediatelly after slrn will connect to
>> individual net.
>>
>> Any ideas?.
>
> Your dns is buggered.
>
> Try setting up your newsreader to connect to:
> 130.133.4.11 rather than news.individual.net. So bypassing your
> dns.

Back working normally now, so panik over