The cost of living has just gone up another dollar a quart. -- W. C. Fields

aus+uk / uk.telecom / Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

SubjectAuthor
* Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneNY
+* Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneAndy Burns
|`* Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneNY
| `* Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneAndy Burns
|  `* Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneDavid Woolley
|   `* Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneNY
|    `- Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneAndy Burns
+* Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneRoger
|`* Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneAndy Burns
| `* Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneRoger
|  `* Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneAndy Burns
|   `- Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneRoger
+* Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneThe Natural Philosopher
|+- Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneNY
|`- Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneBrightsideS9
+- Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneRichmond
`* Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneTheo
 +* Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneRichmond
 |`- Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneThe Natural Philosopher
 `* Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneNY
  `* Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneAndy Burns
   `* Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneNY
    +- Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneAndy Burns
    `- Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phoneThe Natural Philosopher

1
Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<uqkski$39ma4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2424&group=uk.telecom#2424

From: me@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 11:30:25 -0000
 by: NY - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 11:30 UTC

What are the various things that have to be enabled in order for
wifi-calling to work on an Android mobile phone? My mum gets very poor
mobile signal in parts of the house and so is missing incoming calls.

My mum has a fairly recent Samsung phone (not sure of model or Android
version). The Phone app has a switch three-dots | Settings | Wifi Calling
which is turned on.

On my phone, doing this causes an additional icon of a telephone handset to
appear on the status bar at the top of the screen, but this does not happen
on my mum's phone, even though the on/off slider in the Phone app changes
colour depending on whether it is in the off or on position.

She has a wifi connection which is good enough for her to be able to browse
web pages.

Vodafone do not believe that anything needs to enabled on her account to
allow wifi calling, but they wonder whether the ISP or router needs to be
checked. Do mobile operators offer wifi calling by default or does it
typically need to be turned on for a user's account / phone number?

Does an ISP need to enable anything to allow wifi calling to work over their
connection? Do all routers support it? Both my mother and I are with
Plusnet, using FTTC/VDSL connections: I'm using my own TPLink router, she's
using the standard one which Plusnet supply, while looks like a rebadged BT
Homehub. I didn't have to do anything to either my router or involving
Plusnet to make it work for me when out local mast failed a few weeks ago. I
just turned on the slider in the Phone app and it sprang into life.

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<l36c3sF1vdhU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2425&group=uk.telecom#2425

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 11:50:19 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 11:50 UTC

NY wrote:

> What are the various things that have to be enabled in order for
> wifi-calling to work on an Android mobile phone? My mum gets very poor
> mobile signal in parts of the house and so is missing incoming calls.
>
> My mum has a fairly recent Samsung phone (not sure of model or Android
> version). The Phone app has a switch three-dots | Settings | Wifi
> Calling which is turned on.
>
> On my phone, doing this causes an additional icon of a telephone handset
> to appear on the status bar at the top of the screen, but this does not
> happen on my mum's phone, even though the on/off slider in the Phone app
> changes colour depending on whether it is in the off or on position.
>
> She has a wifi connection which is good enough for her to be able to
> browse web pages.
>
> Vodafone do not believe that anything needs to enabled on her account to
> allow wifi calling, but they wonder whether the ISP or router needs to
> be checked. Do mobile operators offer wifi calling by default

it varies, depends on the combination of provider and phone, but sounds
hopeful for your mum ... if you/she go into the phone dialler and enter

*#*#4636#*#*
then choose phone info from the menu
be careful not to change anything on that screen.
you should see a slider for "wifi calling provisioned"
you won't be able to change it, but is it "on"?

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<4qtrsihncltr0obdtvkveckt0mhmkdktuf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2426&group=uk.telecom#2426

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Roger)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 12:09:22 +0000
 by: Roger - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 12:09 UTC

On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 11:30:25 -0000, "NY" <me@privacy.invalid>
wrote:

>What are the various things that have to be enabled in order for
>wifi-calling to work on an Android mobile phone? My mum gets very poor
>mobile signal in parts of the house and so is missing incoming calls.
>
>My mum has a fairly recent Samsung phone (not sure of model or Android
>version). The Phone app has a switch three-dots | Settings | Wifi Calling
>which is turned on.

I have a Pixel 6a and am using ASDA Mobile. Vodafone's signal is
strong in my home for the phone to switch to Wi-Fi calling
automatically. However, if I turn aeroplane mode on and Wi-Fi on
then, obviously, all calls and SMSs go over Wi-Fi. I leave the
"Use Wi-Fi Calling" slider in the phone app on. Works fine and
the battery usage is much reduced.

Using the Phone app if I look at the history of any caller there
may be icons by each call. There may be an HD icon and/or a
Wi-Fi symbol. May be different on a Samsung.

Ask her to try doing the same thing. If it works then she has
Wi-Fi calling. The fact that the phone won't do it automatically
when she would like it to is another matter.

>On my phone, doing this causes an additional icon of a telephone handset to
>appear on the status bar at the top of the screen, but this does not happen
>on my mum's phone, even though the on/off slider in the Phone app changes
>colour depending on whether it is in the off or on position.

Do you mean that there is an additional icon when not making a
call or just when on a call? If my phone is idle and forced onto
Wi-Fi calling then I see the words "Wi-Fi call" on the left of
the status line when I wake up the screen.

>Vodafone do not believe that anything needs to enabled on her account to
>allow wifi calling, but they wonder whether the ISP or router needs to be
>checked. Do mobile operators offer wifi calling by default or does it
>typically need to be turned on for a user's account / phone number?

May be different for different mobile providers. Nothing to do
with the ISP or router.

>Does an ISP need to enable anything to allow wifi calling to work over their
>connection? Do all routers support it? Both my mother and I are with
>Plusnet, using FTTC/VDSL connections: I'm using my own TPLink router, she's
>using the standard one which Plusnet supply, while looks like a rebadged BT
>Homehub. I didn't have to do anything to either my router or involving
>Plusnet to make it work for me when out local mast failed a few weeks ago. I
>just turned on the slider in the Phone app and it sprang into life.

Plusnet VDSL here also. I am using a DrayTek modem/router but as
far as I know there is nothing in the Plusnet box to stop Wi-Fi
calling from working.

If your mother does try the trick of aeroplane mode on with
Wi-Fi on get her to be near the router to start with to ensure
there is good signal. If it works then she can experiment by
being further away.
--
Roger

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<l36f8fF1vdhU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2427&group=uk.telecom#2427

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 12:43:58 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 12:43 UTC

Roger wrote:
> I have a Pixel 6a and am using ASDA Mobile.
Pixel 5a on O₂ here
> Vodafone's signal is
> strong in my home for the phone to switch to Wi-Fi calling
> automatically. However, if I turn aeroplane mode on and Wi-Fi on
> then, obviously, all calls and SMSs go over Wi-Fi.

On mine, from the home screen, if I pull the notification screen down to
the second level, then the top right shows a scrolling text of
"O2 - UK WiFi Calling"
> I leave the
> "Use Wi-Fi Calling" slider in the phone app on. Works fine and
> the battery usage is much reduced.
I have an extra setting
<http://andyburns.uk/misc/wifi-calling-pref.png>
But I think the reason I see that (and nobody else says they have it) is
that I've opted to run the beta version of the phone/dialler app.

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<uql4f6$3au4v$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2428&group=uk.telecom#2428

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 13:44:06 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 13:44 UTC

On 15/02/2024 11:30, NY wrote:
> What are the various things that have to be enabled in order for
> wifi-calling to work on an Android mobile phone? My mum gets very poor
> mobile signal in parts of the house and so is missing incoming calls.
>
> My mum has a fairly recent Samsung phone (not sure of model or Android
> version). The Phone app has a switch three-dots | Settings | Wifi
> Calling which is turned on.
>
> On my phone, doing this causes an additional icon of a telephone handset
> to appear on the status bar at the top of the screen, but this does not
> happen on my mum's phone, even though the on/off slider in the Phone app
> changes colour depending on whether it is in the off or on position.

She may have 'good enough' mobile coverage. The little telephone icon
only pops up for me in the worst areas of the house..

> She has a wifi connection which is good enough for her to be able to
> browse web pages.

WiFi callinng is not bandwith hungry at all.

> Vodafone do not believe that anything needs to enabled on her account to
> allow wifi calling, but they wonder whether the ISP or router needs to
> be checked. Do mobile operators offer wifi calling by default or does it
> typically need to be turned on for a user's account / phone number?

Usually either the mobile operators doesn't offer it or the phone doesnt
support it, but if you can see it and turn it on, you should have it.

> Does an ISP need to enable anything to allow wifi calling to work over
> their connection?

No.

> Do all routers support it?

Yes.

> Both my mother and I are
> with Plusnet, using FTTC/VDSL connections: I'm using my own TPLink
> router, she's using the standard one which Plusnet supply, while looks
> like a rebadged BT Homehub. I didn't have to do anything to either my
> router or involving Plusnet to make it work for me when out local mast
> failed a few weeks ago. I just turned on the slider in the Phone app and
> it sprang into life.

That is in general how it works.

Check whether the phone actually should have a little icon at all...

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<hBedneG1vNG8gFP4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2429&group=uk.telecom#2429

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:18:08 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
 by: NY - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:18 UTC

> On 15/02/2024 11:30, NY wrote:
>> Both my mother and I are with Plusnet, using FTTC/VDSL connections:
>> I'm using my own TPLink router, she's using the standard one which
>> Plusnet supply, while looks like a rebadged BT Homehub. I didn't have
>> to do anything to either my router or involving Plusnet to make it
>> work for me when out local mast failed a few weeks ago. I just turned
>> on the slider in the Phone app and it sprang into life.
>>
> That is in general how it works.
>
> Check whether the phone actually should have a  little icon at all...

Good point. I was *assuming* that all Samsungs would behave in the same
way, but there are so many different implementations of Android that I
suppose this is not a true assumption ;-)

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<gqGdnVtNjddmg1P4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2430&group=uk.telecom#2430

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:26:02 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
 by: NY - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:26 UTC

On 15/02/2024 11:50, Andy Burns wrote:
> it varies, depends on the combination of provider and phone, but sounds
> hopeful for your mum ... if you/she go into the phone dialler and enter
>
> *#*#4636#*#*
> then choose phone info from the menu
> be careful not to change anything on that screen.
> you should see a slider for "wifi calling provisioned"
> you won't be able to change it, but is it "on"?

Both with and without wifi calling turned on, I get no response if I
dial that number. Just an immediate "call ended" as if the mobile phone
network has rejected the call.

I don't get any slider displayed on the screen or a "phone info from the
menu".

Am I doing something wrong?

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<86wmr5zpyv.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2431&group=uk.telecom#2431

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 15:50:32 +0000
 by: Richmond - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 15:50 UTC

"NY" <me@privacy.invalid> writes:

> My mum gets very poor mobile signal in parts of the house and so is
> missing incoming calls.

I had the same problem but only with O2. With vodafone it worked
fine. Mine is a Samsung A14. But after a lot of going around in circles
I found a better solution, which is to switch to G2 only, then I always
have a signal.

Other things to consider: Is it spam blocking? turn that off just to
make sure.

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<l36t06F53k8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2432&group=uk.telecom#2432

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 16:38:28 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 16:38 UTC

NY wrote:

> Both with and without wifi calling turned on, I get no response if I
> dial that number. Just an immediate "call ended" as if the mobile phone
> network has rejected the call.

It shouldn't actually dial, the phone "intercepts" various *# codes as
special functions ... definitely the right number the 4636 spells info?

*# *# INFO #* #*

Also *#06# should be intercepted in a similar way, does that display
IMEI etc details?

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<uqllu3$3e6qe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2434&group=uk.telecom#2434

From: david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid (David Woolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 18:42:11 +0000
 by: David Woolley - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 18:42 UTC

On 15/02/2024 16:38, Andy Burns wrote:
> It shouldn't actually dial, the phone "intercepts" various *# codes as
> special functions ... definitely the right number the 4636 spells info?
>
> *# *# INFO #* #*

This worked on a Galaxy Y but doesn't work on a Galaxy J5 (2017) or
Galaxy A22 5G, so I assume that Samsung have disabled it on newer phones.

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<7mGdnQ1pMbF84FP4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2437&group=uk.telecom#2437

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 21:10:56 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
 by: NY - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 21:10 UTC

*#06# works: it displays IMEI numbers and corresponding bar codes, but
*# *# INFO #* #* has no effect when the final key is pressed, so I then
pressed the dial button thinking that it was necessary.

Shame that Samsung have disabled something that used to work on earlier
phones. I'll have to try my previous Samsung phones, though one may be
too old (I got it in 2011) to support wifi calling, and the newer one
from a few years ago probably won't boot up for long enough to try it,
after it developed a fault last year - which I why I bought my present one.

There's always the chance that the code will work on my mum's phone to
give us the "wifi calling provisioned" status.

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<l38g9sFe8oaU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2439&group=uk.telecom#2439

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 07:14:04 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 07:14 UTC

NY wrote:

> *#06# works: it displays IMEI numbers and corresponding bar codes, but
> *# *# INFO #* #* has no effect when the final key is pressed, so I then
> pressed the dial button thinking that it was necessary.

It's a shame they're removing that screen, it's useful (with potential
downsides if you tinker).

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<89cusi9preeb0rn1dtr7hqad3krn0omi1b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2441&group=uk.telecom#2441

From: reply_to_address_is_not@invalid.invalid (BrightsideS9)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 10:00:21 +0000
 by: BrightsideS9 - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 10:00 UTC

On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 13:44:06 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 15/02/2024 11:30, NY wrote:

>> Vodafone do not believe that anything needs to enabled on her account to
>> allow wifi calling, but they wonder whether the ISP or router needs to
>> be checked. Do mobile operators offer wifi calling by default or does it
>> typically need to be turned on for a user's account / phone number?
>
>Usually either the mobile operators doesn't offer it or the phone doesnt
>support it, but if you can see it and turn it on, you should have it.

My dual sim phone can have wifi calling via Three tuned on/off, but
on Vodafone there is no option to even select wifi calling.

--
brightside S9

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<hofusip0ghnbg6b552svijmb83nr5hatp1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2443&group=uk.telecom#2443

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Roger)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 10:57:45 +0000
 by: Roger - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 10:57 UTC

On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 12:43:58 +0000, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>I have an extra setting
>
><http://andyburns.uk/misc/wifi-calling-pref.png>
>
>But I think the reason I see that (and nobody else says they have it) is
>that I've opted to run the beta version of the phone/dialler app.

Just checked Phone app. It was last updated 12th February; now
version 123.0.605723773 but that option hasn't been included.
The beta program is full so I can't get that.
--
Roger

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<l390rdFhbc3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2444&group=uk.telecom#2444

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 11:56:29 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 11:56 UTC

Roger wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> I have an extra setting
>>
>> <http://andyburns.uk/misc/wifi-calling-pref.png>
>>
>> But I think the reason I see that (and nobody else says they have it) is
>> that I've opted to run the beta version of the phone/dialler app.
>
> Just checked Phone app. It was last updated 12th February; now
> version 123.0.605723773 but that option hasn't been included.
> The beta program is full so I can't get that.

I think the last time you(?) checked, the beta was at a different
version number than the non-beta, this is the exact version I'm running
(but from play store not from apkmirror)

<https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-phone/google-phone-123-0-605723773-publicbeta-downloadable-release/>

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<ea7vsi1abd7pcp7luk81hmp4h2h6gqaj3u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2445&group=uk.telecom#2445

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Roger)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 17:44:14 +0000
 by: Roger - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 17:44 UTC

On Fri, 16 Feb 2024 11:56:29 +0000, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>Roger wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> I have an extra setting
>>>
>>> <http://andyburns.uk/misc/wifi-calling-pref.png>
>>>
>>> But I think the reason I see that (and nobody else says they have it) is
>>> that I've opted to run the beta version of the phone/dialler app.
>>
>> Just checked Phone app. It was last updated 12th February; now
>> version 123.0.605723773 but that option hasn't been included.
>> The beta program is full so I can't get that.
>
>I think the last time you(?) checked, the beta was at a different
>version number than the non-beta, this is the exact version I'm running
>(but from play store not from apkmirror)
>
><https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-phone/google-phone-123-0-605723773-publicbeta-downloadable-release/>

Interesting, thank you. Back in November the release version I
was running 118; the beta you were running was 119.
--
Roger

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<-Nn*fCdDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2446&group=uk.telecom#2446

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 17 Feb 2024 16:17:27 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 16:17 UTC

NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> Vodafone do not believe that anything needs to enabled on her account to
> allow wifi calling, but they wonder whether the ISP or router needs to be
> checked. Do mobile operators offer wifi calling by default or does it
> typically need to be turned on for a user's account / phone number?

Is Vodafone her mobile network? Is she on contract or PAYG? They don't
support wifi calling on PAYG.

Another thing from ~10 years ago (mostly on Samsungs) is that you needed to
be running the carrier's modem firmware on your phone - ie it wasn't enough
that you had an unlocked phone, it had to be a Vodafone branded phone
(because that included their modem firmware). It was possible to reflash
different carriers' firmware to turn a Tesco phone into a Vodafone phone or
whatever. I know iPhones have never needed this, but I'm not sure of the
current situation for Androids.

Is the phone listed as one they support wifi-calling on:
https://deviceguides.vodafone.co.uk/?topic=turn-wi-fi-calling-on-or-off
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/business/business-mobile-plans/add-ons/vodafone-wi-fi-calling

It seems like the list of supported phones is not huge.

Theo

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<86sf1rnjha.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2447&group=uk.telecom#2447

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 16:28:17 +0000
 by: Richmond - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 16:28 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>> Vodafone do not believe that anything needs to enabled on her account to
>> allow wifi calling, but they wonder whether the ISP or router needs to be
>> checked. Do mobile operators offer wifi calling by default or does it
>> typically need to be turned on for a user's account / phone number?
>
> Is Vodafone her mobile network? Is she on contract or PAYG? They don't
> support wifi calling on PAYG.

I have wifi calling on vodafone on PAYG.

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<r-SdnVY97LH7fU34nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2448&group=uk.telecom#2448

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 16:35:49 +0000
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
 by: NY - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 16:35 UTC

On 17/02/2024 16:17, Theo wrote:
> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>> Vodafone do not believe that anything needs to enabled on her account to
>> allow wifi calling, but they wonder whether the ISP or router needs to be
>> checked. Do mobile operators offer wifi calling by default or does it
>> typically need to be turned on for a user's account / phone number?
>
> Is Vodafone her mobile network? Is she on contract or PAYG? They don't
> support wifi calling on PAYG.

Both my mum and I are on contract Vodafone.

> Another thing from ~10 years ago (mostly on Samsungs) is that you needed to
> be running the carrier's modem firmware on your phone - ie it wasn't enough
> that you had an unlocked phone, it had to be a Vodafone branded phone
> (because that included their modem firmware). It was possible to reflash
> different carriers' firmware to turn a Tesco phone into a Vodafone phone or
> whatever. I know iPhones have never needed this, but I'm not sure of the
> current situation for Androids.

Now if that is true then I wonder how my unlocked phone (bought from
Amazon, not from a Vodafone shop) works. Maybe it's no longer true if
you say it was 10 years ago.

> Is the phone listed as one they support wifi-calling on:
> https://deviceguides.vodafone.co.uk/?topic=turn-wi-fi-calling-on-or-off
> https://www.vodafone.co.uk/business/business-mobile-plans/add-ons/vodafone-wi-fi-calling
>
> It seems like the list of supported phones is not huge.

Ah, now that's worth checking. I'll send the list to her and get her to
check her phone against it.

Failing that she might need to get a picocel - a mini mobile phone mast
which connects to your broadband. Same functionality as wifi calling,
but using mobile phone signals rather than wifi as the connection from
the phone to the internet. I wonder if Vodafone still do them for free
or whether they make a charge for them.

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<l3c7ifF4745U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2449&group=uk.telecom#2449

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 17:09:33 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 17:09 UTC

NY wrote:

> Failing that she might need to get a picocel - a mini mobile phone mast
> which connects to your broadband. Same functionality as wifi calling,
> but using mobile phone signals rather than wifi as the connection from
> the phone to the internet. I wonder if Vodafone still do them for free
> or whether they make a charge for them.

They no longer do them at all ... because they say WiFi calling is available

<https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/calling-features/sure-signal>

<https://www.vodafone.co.uk/business/voice-connectivity/sure-signal-shutting-down>

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<uqqtat$hhrr$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2450&group=uk.telecom#2450

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 18:19:09 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 18:19 UTC

On 17/02/2024 16:28, Richmond wrote:
> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>
>> NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>>> Vodafone do not believe that anything needs to enabled on her account to
>>> allow wifi calling, but they wonder whether the ISP or router needs to be
>>> checked. Do mobile operators offer wifi calling by default or does it
>>> typically need to be turned on for a user's account / phone number?
>>
>> Is Vodafone her mobile network? Is she on contract or PAYG? They don't
>> support wifi calling on PAYG.
>
> I have wifi calling on vodafone on PAYG.

It defintely was *not* available when I got my 3 phone and payg
contract. They were the only carrier who offered it

--
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and
wrong.

H.L.Mencken

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<m6mcnUESkuyVc0z4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2452&group=uk.telecom#2452

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 11:46:15 +0000
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
 by: NY - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 11:46 UTC

On 17/02/2024 17:09, Andy Burns wrote:
> NY wrote:
>
>> Failing that she might need to get a picocell - a mini mobile phone
>> mast which connects to your broadband. Same functionality as wifi
>> calling, but using mobile phone signals rather than wifi as the
>> connection from the phone to the internet. I wonder if Vodafone still
>> do them for free or whether they make a charge for them.
>
> They no longer do them at all ... because they say WiFi calling is
> available
>
> <https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/calling-features/sure-signal>
>
> <https://www.vodafone.co.uk/business/voice-connectivity/sure-signal-shutting-down>

Ah! So if you haven't got a compatible, supported phone you are stuffed,
whereas previously any phone that was capable of working with a normal
mobile phone mast would work with a picocell.

As it happens Mum's phone, a Samsung A13, *is* supported, though the
information about enabling wifi calling is incorrect: it refers people
to the phone's Settings app and the Connections menu within there,
whereas there is no "wifi calling" slider there, but there *is* one in
the Phone app's Settings. Same with my phone, a Samsung A54.

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<l3edkfFfvsvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2453&group=uk.telecom#2453

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:05:18 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:05 UTC

NY wrote:

> the information about enabling wifi calling is incorrect: it refers
> people to the phone's Settings app and the Connections menu within
> there, whereas there is no "wifi calling" slider there, but there is one
> in the Phone app's Settings.

The 'joys' of manufacturers customising Android.

Re: Enabling wifi-calling on an Android mobile phone

<uqt6iq$17kp4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2455&group=uk.telecom#2455

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:09:14 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:09 UTC

On 18/02/2024 11:46, NY wrote:

> As it happens Mum's phone, a Samsung A13, *is* supported, though the
> information about enabling wifi calling is incorrect: it refers people
> to the phone's Settings app and the Connections menu within there,
> whereas there is no "wifi calling" slider there, but there *is* one in
> the Phone app's Settings. Same with my phone, a Samsung A54.

Yes. Same on my J300 cheapo.

--
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
rule.