Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself. -- Friedrich Nietzsche

aus+uk / uk.telecom / Re: Fibre optic questions

SubjectAuthor
* Fibre optic questionsScott
+* Re: Fibre optic questionsAndy Burns

Pages:123
Re: Fibre optic questions

<084+BZHV9TzlFwiJ@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2419&group=uk.telecom#2419

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Re: Fibre optic questions
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 22:31:49 +0000
 by: tony sayer - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 22:31 UTC

In article <uqggu9$27o5a$1@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> scribeth thus
>On 13/02/2024 14:29, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
>> The speech intelligibility of a POTS line with good equipment at both
>> ends was already near 100%, this is with a 300c/s - 3.3Kc/s frequency
>> response. I would only regard it as a worthwhile improvement if the
>> frequency response could be widened to (for instance) 80c/s - 9Kc/s
>> without detriment to the other parameters. A 'slight' improvement in
>> intelligibilty under the best conditions and measured by some obscure
>> subjective formula is hardly a worthwhile gain for the expense and
>> complication involved.
>
>I think that the phones themselves wont do much more than 300Hz-3kHz.
>Its more than adequate for speech. You only are losing a couple of
>octaves at the top end - who above the age of 40 actually can hear above
>12kHz? And the lower two octaves below 300Hz just make for boominess on
>speech.
>
>What is far more relevant is that the massive downshift in quality of
>*mobile* signals the compression, distortion and dropouts - is absent
>from VOIP over a decent broadband link.

You must be ion a poorly serviced area maybe;?..

>If landlines are a 4.4 I'd say my experience of VOIP was about 4.8. The
>most noyutceable improvement bing the lack of 'hiss'

And that "hiss" was a sort of confidence tone too quiet and you'd think
the call has fallen through!..

--
Tony Sayer

Re: Fibre optic questions

<uqkidq$37adt$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2422&group=uk.telecom#2422

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 08:36:10 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 08:36 UTC

On 14/02/2024 22:31, tony sayer wrote:
> In article <uqggu9$27o5a$1@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> scribeth thus
>> On 13/02/2024 14:29, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
>>> The speech intelligibility of a POTS line with good equipment at both
>>> ends was already near 100%, this is with a 300c/s - 3.3Kc/s frequency
>>> response. I would only regard it as a worthwhile improvement if the
>>> frequency response could be widened to (for instance) 80c/s - 9Kc/s
>>> without detriment to the other parameters. A 'slight' improvement in
>>> intelligibilty under the best conditions and measured by some obscure
>>> subjective formula is hardly a worthwhile gain for the expense and
>>> complication involved.
>>
>> I think that the phones themselves wont do much more than 300Hz-3kHz.
>> Its more than adequate for speech. You only are losing a couple of
>> octaves at the top end - who above the age of 40 actually can hear above
>> 12kHz? And the lower two octaves below 300Hz just make for boominess on
>> speech.
>>
>> What is far more relevant is that the massive downshift in quality of
>> *mobile* signals the compression, distortion and dropouts - is absent
>>from VOIP over a decent broadband link.
>
> You must be ion a poorly serviced area maybe;?..

Or one with too many mobile users?

>> If landlines are a 4.4 I'd say my experience of VOIP was about 4.8. The
>> most noyutceable improvement bing the lack of 'hiss'
>>

> And that "hiss" was a sort of confidence tone too quiet and you'd think
> the call has fallen through!..

It also disappeared when you switched the ADSL router off :-)

Intermodulation between the DSL carriers folding down into the baseband :-)

"Saki"

Re: Fibre optic questions

<oufssilc283fprtu9rku2r48pkj707o5ic@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2433&group=uk.telecom#2433

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 16:51:36 +0000
 by: Scott - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 16:51 UTC

On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 00:41:22 +0000, David Woolley
<david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:

>On 09/02/2024 17:43, Scott wrote:
>> My phone has just been upgraded to FTTP/VOIP. Am I correct in thinking
>> there is nothing to prevent me moving the router to a better position
>> and connecting it with an ethernet cable? Also, can multiple phones be
>> connected to the router?
>

>It's not clear whether it is just the phone line or both the line and
>the phone have been upgraded, and, if only the line, whether router
>means just router or combined router and ATA.

'Upgraded' was probably the wrong term to use. I should have said
'converted' as there is some difference of opinion whether this is an
upgrade.

>Most answers seem to assume just the phone line and that the router
>includes a single channel ATA.

The fibre was already in place. The engineer (Circet) said he had to
so something outside.

>If the phones have been upgraded, the ability to register more than one
>on the same number, or to have multiple ones on different numbers, will
>depend on the VoIP service, not the local hardware.

I thought it was the local hardware in that I could install a splitter
and attach two or more phones.

>The ability to move the router depends on whether or not it is combined
>with the optical termination equipment. You'll be able to separate it
>from the optical termination up to the full limits of the Ethernet in use.

It's not, and the Circet engineer says I can put the router anywhere
and connect it to the optical termination box using an ethernet cable.

Re: Fibre optic questions

<uqlmef$3e6qe$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2435&group=uk.telecom#2435

From: david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid (David Woolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 18:50:55 +0000
 by: David Woolley - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 18:50 UTC

On 15/02/2024 16:51, Scott wrote:
>> If the phones have been upgraded, the ability to register more than one
>> on the same number, or to have multiple ones on different numbers, will
>> depend on the VoIP service, not the local hardware.

> I thought it was the local hardware in that I could install a splitter
> and attach two or more phones.

You can only do that with analogue phones. By upgraded phones, I mean
VoIP ones.

Re: Fibre optic questions

<q4tssild9c4jdkdubobdlf3f2vitds4h3n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2436&group=uk.telecom#2436

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 20:34:05 +0000
 by: Scott - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 20:34 UTC

On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 18:50:55 +0000, David Woolley
<david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:

>On 15/02/2024 16:51, Scott wrote:
>>> If the phones have been upgraded, the ability to register more than one
>>> on the same number, or to have multiple ones on different numbers, will
>>> depend on the VoIP service, not the local hardware.
>
>> I thought it was the local hardware in that I could install a splitter
>> and attach two or more phones.
>
>You can only do that with analogue phones. By upgraded phones, I mean
>VoIP ones.

Okay, thanks. I should not have used the word 'upgrade' as it is
misleading in this context. I think I get it now. I can move the
router and main phone to my desk and add a second phone if I can find
a way to run the cable. I may end up just using cordless.

Re: Fibre optic questions

<uqn03u$3oaoe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2438&group=uk.telecom#2438

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 06:42:06 +0000
 by: David Wade - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 06:42 UTC

On 15/02/2024 20:34, Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 18:50:55 +0000, David Woolley
> <david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:

Not true. The ZEN FritzBox! acts as a SIP relay or PABX. So it can
register with multiple VOIP providers, and you can register multiple
handsets with the FritzBox! via SIP or DECT or analogue socket.

It assigns a ** extension number to each device (Obviously only one to
the analogue socket) and if you have multiple VOIP numbers you can also
route these independently.

So this functionality is local, in the local hardware

>>> I thought it was the local hardware in that I could install a splitter
>>> and attach two or more phones.
>>
>> You can only do that with analogue phones. By upgraded phones, I mean
>> VoIP ones.
>
> Okay, thanks. I should not have used the word 'upgrade' as it is
> misleading in this context. I think I get it now. I can move the
> router and main phone to my desk and add a second phone if I can find
> a way to run the cable. I may end up just using cordless.

If your router is close to an existing socket analogue socket you can
usually patch its analogue port into the system.

Dave