From: pwllgloyw@gmail.com (Polly@golly)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Recycling soil
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 16:03:43 +0100
 by: Polly@golly - Sat, 13 May 2023 15:03 UTC

The wife is madly emptying all the troughs that she grew her bulbs and
winter pansies in, ready for the summer bedding plants.

What can I do with all the old soil? I've no room in my dalek, no empty
areas in the garden and her suggestion is take it to the council tip.
However our local tip has large skips for recycling garden waste, with
about 10 steep stairs to climb to get there and then lift over about 4
foot into the skip. I do not fancy this, so am looking for a better
solution.

Ta!

Re: Recycling soil

<u3o9et$24nhd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2472&group=uk.rec.gardening#2472

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Recycling soil
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 16:13:33 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sat, 13 May 2023 15:13 UTC

On 13/05/2023 16:03, Polly@golly wrote:
> The wife is madly emptying all the troughs that she grew her bulbs and
> winter pansies in, ready for the summer bedding plants.
>
> What can I do with all the old soil? I've no room in my dalek, no empty
> areas in the garden and her suggestion is take it to the council tip.
> However our local tip has large skips for recycling garden waste, with
> about 10 steep stairs to climb to get there and then lift over about 4
> foot into the skip. I do not fancy this, so am looking for a better
> solution.
>
> Ta!

Why are you getting rid of the soil? Is it diseased in some way? If not
empty it out, break it up, add some Growmore (or some other balanced
fertiliser), mix, and put it back. Your garden soil doesn't get changed
or dumped, and plants grow in it for years. Repeat for winter bulbs if
the summer stuff has exhausted the NPK content.

--

Jeff

Re: Recycling soil

<4gcv5ilt6rilp95l0b91p91h6ijkpa3hhb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2473&group=uk.rec.gardening#2473

From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 16:55:54 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Sat, 13 May 2023 15:55 UTC

On Sat, 13 May 2023 16:03:43 +0100, "Polly@golly"
<pwllgloyw@gmail.com> wrote:

>The wife is madly emptying all the troughs that she grew her bulbs and
>winter pansies in, ready for the summer bedding plants.
>
>What can I do with all the old soil? I've no room in my dalek, no empty
>areas in the garden and her suggestion is take it to the council tip.
>However our local tip has large skips for recycling garden waste, with
>about 10 steep stairs to climb to get there and then lift over about 4
>foot into the skip. I do not fancy this, so am looking for a better
>solution.
>
>Ta!

Like Jeff, I seldom throw any 'used' soil away. Loosen it up, remove
any obvious clumps of old roots etc, add a bit of Growmore or other
general purpose granular fertiliser and perhaps a little grit for
drainage and re-use it. Saves money buying fresh, as well, which these
days can't be bad.

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Recycling soil

<u3oes7$26vm1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2474&group=uk.rec.gardening#2474

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 17:45:59 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 13 May 2023 16:45 UTC

On 13/05/2023 16:03, Polly@golly wrote:
> The wife is madly emptying all the troughs that she grew her bulbs and
> winter pansies in, ready for the summer bedding plants.
>
> What can I do with all the old soil? I've no room in my dalek, no empty
> areas in the garden and her suggestion is take it to the council tip.
> However our local tip has large skips for recycling garden waste, with
> about 10 steep stairs to climb to get there and then lift over about 4
> foot into the skip. I do not fancy this, so am looking for a better
> solution.
>
> Ta!
Build a 'mound'. Or fill in a dry ditch.

--
"An intellectual is a person knowledgeable in one field who speaks out
only in others...”

Tom Wolfe

Re: Recycling soil

<u3pden$2ghnr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2475&group=uk.rec.gardening#2475

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 02:27:55 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 14 May 2023 01:27 UTC

On 13/05/2023 16:03, Polly@golly wrote:
> The wife is madly emptying all the troughs that she grew her bulbs and
> winter pansies in, ready for the summer bedding plants.
>
> What can I do with all the old soil? I've no room in my dalek, no empty
> areas in the garden and her suggestion is take it to the council tip.
> However our local tip has large skips for recycling garden waste, with
> about 10 steep stairs to climb to get there and then lift over about 4
> foot into the skip. I do not fancy this, so am looking for a better
> solution.
>
> Ta!

Take a tip from POWs disposing of tunnelling spoil - drop/spread small
quantities at a time randomly over an area - no need to conceal the
action, which makes things easier.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Recycling soil

<u3qehd$2jt18$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2476&group=uk.rec.gardening#2476

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 11:52:29 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 14 May 2023 10:52 UTC

On 14/05/2023 02:27, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 13/05/2023 16:03, Polly@golly wrote:
>> The wife is madly emptying all the troughs that she grew her bulbs and
>> winter pansies in, ready for the summer bedding plants.
>>
>> What can I do with all the old soil? I've no room in my dalek, no
>> empty areas in the garden and her suggestion is take it to the council
>> tip. However our local tip has large skips for recycling garden waste,
>> with about 10 steep stairs to climb to get there and then lift over
>> about 4 foot into the skip. I do not fancy this, so am looking for a
>> better solution.
>>
>> Ta!
>
> Take a tip from POWs disposing of tunnelling spoil - drop/spread small
> quantities at a time randomly over an area - no need to conceal the
> action, which makes things easier.

Its amazing how much scrap I have got rid of piecemeal in ordinary waste
bins by using an angle grinder

However I have a soil shortage, so all my compost gets used in various
places.

Josef Stalin