I'm successful because I'm lucky. The harder I work, the luckier I get.

aus+uk / uk.telecom / PSOT: Problems with using Vivaldi mail

SubjectAuthor
* PSOT: Problems with using Vivaldi mailWoody
+* Re: PSOT: Problems with using Vivaldi mailThe Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: PSOT: Problems with using Vivaldi mailWoody
`* Re: PSOT: Problems with using Vivaldi mailTheo
 `* Re: PSOT: Problems with using Vivaldi mailWoody
  `- Re: PSOT: Problems with using Vivaldi mailTheo

1
PSOT: Problems with using Vivaldi mail

<urikni$2m41t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2494&group=uk.telecom#2494

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: PSOT: Problems with using Vivaldi mail
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:19:29 +0000
 by: Woody - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:19 UTC

For personal reasons I am using Vivaldi for three mail accounts in POP3,
two Gmail and one hotmail.co.uk

Gmail works perfectly, in and out. The hotmail account receives incoming
mail no problem but if I try to send through it I get a failure message:-

net::err_ssl_protocol_error

I also have the hotmail account loaded in Opera Mail and both Opera and
Vivaldi have identical settings, but Opera works and Vivaldi doesn't.

Any ideas anyone?

Re: PSOT: Problems with using Vivaldi mail

<urimh7$2mheq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2495&group=uk.telecom#2495

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Re: PSOT: Problems with using Vivaldi mail
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:50:15 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:50 UTC

On 26/02/2024 18:19, Woody wrote:
> For personal reasons I am using Vivaldi for three mail accounts in POP3,
> two Gmail and one hotmail.co.uk
>
> Gmail works perfectly, in and out. The hotmail account receives incoming
> mail no problem but if I try to send through it I get a failure message:-
>
> net::err_ssl_protocol_error
>
> I also have the hotmail account loaded in Opera Mail and both Opera and
> Vivaldi have identical settings, but Opera works and Vivaldi doesn't.
>
> Any ideas anyone?

No answers, because the question is meaningless as it stands.
WHAT are you trying to send mail WITH?

Opera mail is out of support AFAIK

Anyway it all sounds Mac ish and with a Mac the solution is always to
throw the computer away and buy a shiny new one and get the shop to get
it all working

--
There’s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)

Re: PSOT: Problems with using Vivaldi mail

<urirkr$2npna$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2496&group=uk.telecom#2496

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 20:17:30 +0000
 by: Woody - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 20:17 UTC

On Mon 26/02/2024 18:50, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 26/02/2024 18:19, Woody wrote:
>> For personal reasons I am using Vivaldi for three mail accounts in
>> POP3, two Gmail and one hotmail.co.uk
>>
>> Gmail works perfectly, in and out. The hotmail account receives
>> incoming mail no problem but if I try to send through it I get a
>> failure message:-
>>
>> net::err_ssl_protocol_error
>>
>> I also have the hotmail account loaded in Opera Mail and both Opera
>> and Vivaldi have identical settings, but Opera works and Vivaldi doesn't.
>>
>> Any ideas anyone?
>
> No answers, because the question is meaningless as it stands.
> WHAT are you trying to send mail WITH?
>
> Opera mail is out of support AFAIK
>
> Anyway it all sounds Mac ish and with a Mac the solution is always to
> throw the computer away and buy a shiny new one and get the shop to get
> it all working

My question is meaningless?

I started by saying that I can send and receive gmail through Vivaldi,
but whilst I can receive hotmail through Vivaldi I cannot send through
it and get the quoted error message. Is that not clear?

I then go on to say that I have the three accounts also set up in Opera
and both gmail and hotmail will send and receive and specifically Opera
and Vivaldi have IDENTICAL setups. So why does everything work through
Opera but hotmail will NOT send through Vivaldi?

Clear now?

Re: PSOT: Problems with using Vivaldi mail

<dGn*V8ZDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2497&group=uk.telecom#2497

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 26 Feb 2024 21:03:59 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 21:03 UTC

Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> For personal reasons I am using Vivaldi for three mail accounts in POP3,
> two Gmail and one hotmail.co.uk
>
> Gmail works perfectly, in and out. The hotmail account receives incoming
> mail no problem but if I try to send through it I get a failure message:-
>
> net::err_ssl_protocol_error
>
> I also have the hotmail account loaded in Opera Mail and both Opera and
> Vivaldi have identical settings, but Opera works and Vivaldi doesn't.
>
> Any ideas anyone?

How old is your Vivaldi? Various TLS checkers says that smtp.live.com
supports TLS 1.2 - maybe your Vivaldi is too old to support that?

If I test hotmail.com here:
https://luxsci.com/smtp-tls-checker#results
I get:

DNS MX Record Analysis for hotmail.com
hotmail-com.olc.protection.outlook.com
MX Priority: 2
SMTP TLS Enabled? Yes
TLS Certificate for: mail.protection.outlook.com
TLS Certificate Verifiable? Yes
SSL v3 Off? Yes
TLS v1.0 Supported? No
TLS v1.2 Supported? Yes
TLS v1.2 + Good Ciphers? Yes
TLS v1.3 Supported? No
Weak Ciphers Off? Yes
NIST 800-52r2 Cipher Support? Yes
LuxSci SecureLine Compatability? Yes
SMTP MTA STS Yes

If Vivaldi was using SSL 3 or TLS 1.0 then it would fail to connect to the
Hotmail SMTP server.

Meanwhile for gmail.com:

gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
MX Priority: 5
SMTP TLS Enabled? Yes
TLS Certificate for: mx.google.com
TLS Certificate Verifiable? Yes
SSL v3 Off? Yes
TLS v1.0 Supported? Yes
TLS v1.2 Supported? Yes
TLS v1.2 + Good Ciphers? Yes
TLS v1.3 Supported? Yes
Weak Ciphers Off? Yes
NIST 800-52r2 Cipher Support? Yes
LuxSci SecureLine Compatability? Yes
SMTP MTA STS Yes

So a TLS 1.0 or SSL 3 client would work with Gmail but not Hotmail.

Theo

Re: PSOT: Problems with using Vivaldi mail

<urj4qi$2pmcr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2498&group=uk.telecom#2498

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:54:10 +0000
 by: Woody - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:54 UTC

On Mon 26/02/2024 21:03, Theo wrote:
> Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> For personal reasons I am using Vivaldi for three mail accounts in POP3,
>> two Gmail and one hotmail.co.uk
>>
>> Gmail works perfectly, in and out. The hotmail account receives incoming
>> mail no problem but if I try to send through it I get a failure message:-
>>
>> net::err_ssl_protocol_error
>>
>> I also have the hotmail account loaded in Opera Mail and both Opera and
>> Vivaldi have identical settings, but Opera works and Vivaldi doesn't.
>>
>> Any ideas anyone?
>
> How old is your Vivaldi? Various TLS checkers says that smtp.live.com
> supports TLS 1.2 - maybe your Vivaldi is too old to support that?
>

> If I test hotmail.com here:
> https://luxsci.com/smtp-tls-checker#results
> I get:
>
> DNS MX Record Analysis for hotmail.com
> hotmail-com.olc.protection.outlook.com
> MX Priority: 2
> SMTP TLS Enabled? Yes
> TLS Certificate for: mail.protection.outlook.com
> TLS Certificate Verifiable? Yes
> SSL v3 Off? Yes
> TLS v1.0 Supported? No
> TLS v1.2 Supported? Yes
> TLS v1.2 + Good Ciphers? Yes
> TLS v1.3 Supported? No
> Weak Ciphers Off? Yes
> NIST 800-52r2 Cipher Support? Yes
> LuxSci SecureLine Compatability? Yes
> SMTP MTA STS Yes
>

> If Vivaldi was using SSL 3 or TLS 1.0 then it would fail to connect to the
> Hotmail SMTP server.
>
> Meanwhile for gmail.com:
>
> gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
> MX Priority: 5
> SMTP TLS Enabled? Yes
> TLS Certificate for: mx.google.com
> TLS Certificate Verifiable? Yes
> SSL v3 Off? Yes
> TLS v1.0 Supported? Yes
> TLS v1.2 Supported? Yes
> TLS v1.2 + Good Ciphers? Yes
> TLS v1.3 Supported? Yes
> Weak Ciphers Off? Yes
> NIST 800-52r2 Cipher Support? Yes
> LuxSci SecureLine Compatability? Yes
> SMTP MTA STS Yes
>
> So a TLS 1.0 or SSL 3 client would work with Gmail but not Hotmail.

I am using 6.5.3206.61 and I think the latest version is .64 at the end.

Interestingly I have installed hotmail into Outlook and it works fully,
so it suggests it is something to do with the Vivaldi smtp interface
methinks.

Re: PSOT: Problems with using Vivaldi mail

<bGn*9B3Dz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2499&group=uk.telecom#2499

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 27 Feb 2024 12:56:21 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 12:56 UTC

Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Mon 26/02/2024 21:03, Theo wrote:
> >
> > So a TLS 1.0 or SSL 3 client would work with Gmail but not Hotmail.
>
> I am using 6.5.3206.61 and I think the latest version is .64 at the end.

Hmm, I don't know their version numbering but they say the client supports
TLS 1.2 and 1.3 so don't see why it won't connect:

https://forum.vivaldi.net/post/733404

> Interestingly I have installed hotmail into Outlook and it works fully,
> so it suggests it is something to do with the Vivaldi smtp interface
> methinks.

Maybe ask on the above forum?

Theo