From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Yellowing runner and french bean leaves
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 15:27:24 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Wed, 24 May 2023 14:27 UTC

Our beans which have been planted out (after raising in greenhouse)
for four or five days are going yellow. I looked on the internet and
just about everything causes yellow leaves so I'm a bit stuck!

We live in south Suffolk, it has been reasonably warm recently but not
hot by any means. We've grown beans very successfully before, this
year we have planted them in a new row a few metres from the old rows.

I've been watering them daily but not heavily. Should I change to
lots of water less frequently (as some places seem to suggest) or do
they want feeding, or what?

The adjacent peas don't look all that happy either.

--
Chris Green
ยท

Re: Yellowing runner and french bean leaves

<MPG.3ed88318c12e50de98993b@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2502&group=uk.rec.gardening#2502

From: nobody@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Yellowing runner and french bean leaves
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 21:25:33 +0100
 by: Janet - Wed, 24 May 2023 20:25 UTC

In article <cfj1kj-jo5r.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>, cl@isbd.net
says...

> Our beans which have been planted out (after raising in greenhouse)
> for four or five days are going yellow. I looked on the internet and
> just about everything causes yellow leaves so I'm a bit stuck!
>
> We live in south Suffolk, it has been reasonably warm recently but not
> hot by any means. We've grown beans very successfully before, this
> year we have planted them in a new row a few metres from the old rows.
>
> I've been watering them daily but not heavily. Should I change to
> lots of water less frequently (as some places seem to suggest) or do
> they want feeding, or what?
>
> The adjacent peas don't look all that happy either.

Did you harden off the beans? Could they have got
chilled overnight?

Peas are usually much tougher.

I just planted out my beans today

Janet

Re: Yellowing runner and french bean leaves

<u4n8to$3dspg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2505&group=uk.rec.gardening#2505

From: nmm@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 09:14:32 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: nmm@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Thu, 25 May 2023 09:14 UTC

In article <cfj1kj-jo5r.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>Our beans which have been planted out (after raising in greenhouse)
>for four or five days are going yellow. I looked on the internet and
>just about everything causes yellow leaves so I'm a bit stuck!
>
>We live in south Suffolk, it has been reasonably warm recently but not
>hot by any means. We've grown beans very successfully before, this
>year we have planted them in a new row a few metres from the old rows.
>
>I've been watering them daily but not heavily. Should I change to
>lots of water less frequently (as some places seem to suggest) or do
>they want feeding, or what?
>
>The adjacent peas don't look all that happy either.

Something like 25% of my broad beans had their roots and shoots eaten
by something - I pre-germinate them to mitigate that, but this year
it wasn't entirely successful. And only about 25% of my peas have
emerged - I do the same. My guess is keeled slugs, but I have never
seen anything other than very small millipedes on them when I have
dug them up (and millipedes couldn't do the initial damage).

Bluntly, God alone knows. I water only when they need it, and they
aren't particularly fussy about feeding, but what your problem is,
I can't say. Sorry.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.