Life sucks, but death doesn't put out at all. -- Thomas J. Kopp

aus+uk / uk.telecom / Re: Gurgle gurgle...

SubjectAuthor
* Gurgle gurgle...Brian Gaff
+* Re: Gurgle gurgle...Marco Moock
|`* Re: Gurgle gurgle...Brian Gaff
| `* Re: Gurgle gurgle...The Natural Philosopher
|  `* Re: Gurgle gurgle...Richmond
|   `* Re: Gurgle gurgle...The Natural Philosopher
|    `* Re: Gurgle gurgle...Richmond
|     `* Re: Gurgle gurgle...The Natural Philosopher
|      `* Re: Gurgle gurgle...Ottavio Caruso
|       `* Re: Gurgle gurgle...The Natural Philosopher
|        `* Re: Gurgle gurgle...Ottavio Caruso
|         `* Re: Gurgle gurgle...The Natural Philosopher
|          `* Re: Gurgle gurgle...Ottavio Caruso
|           `- Re: Gurgle gurgle...The Natural Philosopher
+* Re: Gurgle gurgle...The Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: Gurgle gurgle...Brian Gaff
+* Re: Gurgle gurgle...Richmond
|`- Re: Gurgle gurgle...Brian Gaff
`- Re: Gurgle gurgle...JMB99

1
Gurgle gurgle...

<uqsqai$117vf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2451&group=uk.telecom#2451

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Gurgle gurgle...
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 11:40:01 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 11:40 UTC

Been getting some odd sounding land line calls recently They are like the
voice is there but instead of the voice you get just a noise each time a
word is spoken, yet apparently my end sounds fine. The second is that the
incoming sound is gurgling, almost like a Dalek sound.
I blame the digital network.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<uqt4je$16dgj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2454&group=uk.telecom#2454

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Re: Gurgle gurgle...
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:35:26 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 14:35 UTC

On 18.02.2024 um 11:40 Uhr Brian Gaff wrote:

> Been getting some odd sounding land line calls recently They are like
> the voice is there but instead of the voice you get just a noise each
> time a word is spoken, yet apparently my end sounds fine. The second
> is that the incoming sound is gurgling, almost like a Dalek sound.
> I blame the digital network.
> Brian

How does that noise sound?
Does that happen with all remote sites or only with specific ones?

--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to muell456@cartoonies.org

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<uqt6k1$17kp4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2456&group=uk.telecom#2456

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:09:53 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:09 UTC

On 18/02/2024 11:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Been getting some odd sounding land line calls recently They are like the
> voice is there but instead of the voice you get just a noise each time a
> word is spoken, yet apparently my end sounds fine. The second is that the
> incoming sound is gurgling, almost like a Dalek sound.
> I blame the digital network.
> Brian

The person at the far end is not using a landline then.

--
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
rule.

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<uqvg0s$1rt4p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2457&group=uk.telecom#2457

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:02:35 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:02 UTC

It seems to be totally random. call again and it might well be OK. I have a
feeling that the modulated noise effect might well be analogue in nature,
but some kind of noise gate makes it sound like it does. The gurgling I have
no idea. I'm on an analogue Virgin line and calls can be to or from mobile
analogue or digital landline, so I'm suspicious of the interconnecting
hardware. It seems peculiar that it only affects one direction though, as
normally the old analogue lines tended to be noisy in both directions as it
was just two wires going both ways.
Brian

--

--:
"Marco Moock" <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote in message
> On 18.02.2024 um 11:40 Uhr Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> Been getting some odd sounding land line calls recently They are like
>> the voice is there but instead of the voice you get just a noise each
>> time a word is spoken, yet apparently my end sounds fine. The second
>> is that the incoming sound is gurgling, almost like a Dalek sound.
>> I blame the digital network.
>> Brian
>
> How does that noise sound?
> Does that happen with all remote sites or only with specific ones?
>

> --
> kind regards
> Marco
>
> Send spam to muell456@cartoonies.org

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<uqvg5u$1ru4g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2458&group=uk.telecom#2458

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:05:17 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:05 UTC

Difficult to tell as so many people have these walk about phones these days.
We have noticed a new weird effect in recent days. You can be happily
talking to each other and suddenly there is a short burst of digital rushing
sound and the line drops out and brings up the dial tone.
Brian

--

--:
"The Natural Philosopher" <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 18/02/2024 11:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> Been getting some odd sounding land line calls recently They are like the
>> voice is there but instead of the voice you get just a noise each time a
>> word is spoken, yet apparently my end sounds fine. The second is that the
>> incoming sound is gurgling, almost like a Dalek sound.
>> I blame the digital network.
>> Brian
>>
> The person at the far end is not using a landline then.
>

> --
> The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
> rule.
> - H. L. Mencken, American journalist, 1880-1956

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<uqvgs2$1rsq1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2459&group=uk.telecom#2459

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:17:06 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:17 UTC

On 19/02/2024 12:02, Brian Gaff wrote:
> It seems to be totally random. call again and it might well be OK.

Absolutely a mobile link with varying congestion.

I have a
> feeling that the modulated noise effect might well be analogue in nature,
> but some kind of noise gate makes it sound like it does. The gurgling I have
> no idea.

If you lose packets, or have delayed packets on mobile it totally throws
off the echo cancellation and the compression/decompression algorithms.
Whereas analogue degrades gracefully, digital holds up until it
essentially collapses completely. Into burbles and Dalek noises.

>I'm on an analogue Virgin line and calls can be to or from mobile
> analogue or digital landline, so I'm suspicious of the interconnecting
> hardware. It seems peculiar that it only affects one direction though, as
> normally the old analogue lines tended to be noisy in both directions as it
> was just two wires going both ways.

It's the far end that while it may *claim* to be a landline, is in fact
*redirecting* it via mobile to some lazy cunt with a mobile at home
somewhere in a poor signal area.

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<86zfvwab0v.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2460&group=uk.telecom#2460

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:33:52 +0000
 by: Richmond - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:33 UTC

I think random effects will be quite common with VOIP. No one knows
quite how calls will be routed over the internet. The only consistent
thing is that neither the caller's provider, nor the recipient, will
take responsibility for the problem, preferring to blame the other, or
perhaps some third party, like CISCO.

Some things which I have experienced phoning VMs VOIP with voipfone:
white noise, not being heard by recipient, european ringing tone instead
of UK. In the other direction, engaged signals when my phone is not in
use.

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<uqvja4$1sgk5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2461&group=uk.telecom#2461

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:58:44 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:58 UTC

On 19/02/2024 12:33, Richmond wrote:
> I think random effects will be quite common with VOIP. No one knows
> quite how calls will be routed over the internet. The only consistent
> thing is that neither the caller's provider, nor the recipient, will
> take responsibility for the problem, preferring to blame the other, or
> perhaps some third party, like CISCO.

Ignorant bollocks.

The 'random' effects are not random, they are absolutely the result of
bandwidth congestion and over processing.

Voip across the internet simply doesn't have a bandwidth limitation.
Only (Wireless) mobile voice does.

> Some things which I have experienced phoning VMs VOIP with voipfone:
> white noise, not being heard by recipient, european ringing tone instead
> of UK. In the other direction, engaged signals when my phone is not in
> use.

That is not random burbles.

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<86v86ka8zb.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2462&group=uk.telecom#2462

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 13:18:00 +0000
 by: Richmond - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 13:18 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes:

> Ignorant bollocks.

Fuck off twat face.

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<86o7cca8rv.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2463&group=uk.telecom#2463

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 13:22:28 +0000
 by: Richmond - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 13:22 UTC

"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes:

> Been getting some odd sounding land line calls recently They are like the
> voice is there but instead of the voice you get just a noise each time a
> word is spoken, yet apparently my end sounds fine. The second is that the
> incoming sound is gurgling, almost like a Dalek sound.

I spookily I just experienced this very same Dalek sound, and I recorded
it. But I don't think I will go through the psychological torture of
reporting it to anyone.

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<uqvt4a$1uduh$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2464&group=uk.telecom#2464

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 15:46:18 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 15:46 UTC

On 19/02/2024 13:18, Richmond wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes:
>

>> Ignorant bollocks.
>>

> Fuck off twat face.

Dont like the truth do you?

In practice, there is.
-- Yogi Berra

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<ur03bh$1vtqo$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2465&group=uk.telecom#2465

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 17:32:33 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 17:32 UTC

Am 19/02/2024 um 15:46 schrieb The Natural Philosopher:
> On 19/02/2024 13:18, Richmond wrote:
>> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes:
>>

>>> Ignorant bollocks.
>>>

>> Fuck off twat face.
>
> Dont like the truth do you?

The truth? Who are you? The Messiah? Or Dave from the pub?

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<ur24j2$2g5oa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2466&group=uk.telecom#2466

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 12:05:54 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 12:05 UTC

On 19/02/2024 17:32, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Am 19/02/2024 um 15:46 schrieb The Natural Philosopher:

>>> Fuck off twat face.
>>
>> Dont like the truth do you?
>>

> The truth? Who are you? The Messiah? Or Dave from the pub?

Just someone who knows more than you do, Dave

--
"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They
always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them"

Margaret Thatcher

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<ur2erd$2i5fq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2467&group=uk.telecom#2467

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 15:01:01 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 15:01 UTC

Am 20/02/2024 um 12:05 schrieb The Natural Philosopher:
> On 19/02/2024 17:32, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

>>> Dont like the truth do you?
>>>

>> The truth? Who are you? The Messiah? Or Dave from the pub?
>>
> Just someone who knows more than you do, Dave

I am pretty sure that this is what you think.

Team delulu?

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<ur2i8a$2ispl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2468&group=uk.telecom#2468

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 15:59:06 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 15:59 UTC

On 20/02/2024 15:01, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Am 20/02/2024 um 12:05 schrieb The Natural Philosopher:

>>> The truth? Who are you? The Messiah? Or Dave from the pub?
>>>
>> Just someone who knows more than you do, Dave
>>

> I am pretty sure that this is what you think.
>
> Team delulu?

Incomprehensible eurobabble

--
“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.”

Herbert Spencer

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<ur4fml$31mb5$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2469&group=uk.telecom#2469

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:27:49 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 09:27 UTC

Am 20/02/2024 um 15:59 schrieb The Natural Philosopher:
> On 20/02/2024 15:01, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

>>> Just someone who knows more than you do, Dave
>>>

>> I am pretty sure that this is what you think.
>>
>> Team delulu?
>>
> Incomprehensible eurobabble

It's called dementia.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<ur4ijb$32fbl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2470&group=uk.telecom#2470

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:17:15 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:17 UTC

On 21/02/2024 09:27, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Am 20/02/2024 um 15:59 schrieb The Natural Philosopher:
>> On 20/02/2024 15:01, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

>>> Team delulu?
>>>
>> Incomprehensible eurobabble
>>

> It's called dementia.

Oh, I am so sorry. I had no idea. That must be hard to bear.
Knowing you are destined to become (even more of ) a drooling idiot.

--
The biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<ur4jf9$32naj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2471&group=uk.telecom#2471

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:32:08 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:32 UTC

Ah yes, I think the problem is that our telecom systems are so deregulated
that not one company is the obvious culprit any more.
Brian

--

--:
"Richmond" <dnomhcir@gmx.com> wrote in message
> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Been getting some odd sounding land line calls recently They are like the
>> voice is there but instead of the voice you get just a noise each time a
>> word is spoken, yet apparently my end sounds fine. The second is that the
>> incoming sound is gurgling, almost like a Dalek sound.
>
> I spookily I just experienced this very same Dalek sound, and I recorded
> it. But I don't think I will go through the psychological torture of
> reporting it to anyone.

Re: Gurgle gurgle...

<usmgnm$3h60q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2510&group=uk.telecom#2510

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 08:52:07 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 08:52 UTC

On 18/02/2024 11:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Been getting some odd sounding land line calls recently They are like the
> voice is there but instead of the voice you get just a noise each time a
> word is spoken, yet apparently my end sounds fine. The second is that the
> incoming sound is gurgling, almost like a Dalek sound.

Junk callers seem to have some rubbish systems, I often pick up the
phone and hear crackles, ambient room noise and other odd noises. If I
wait then sometimes a voice will come on claiming to be Microsoft, BT
etc etc.

But I normally hang up when I hear that type of noise, they never call
back as would happen if it was a genuine call.