From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Papaver Bracteatum
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 14:31:33 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 13:31 UTC

Sometimes know as Papaver Orientale var. Bracteatum, or the great
scarlet poppy, or the Iranian poppy.

At another time and in another place, I had a clump of these bright
red Oriental-type poppies, but when I moved house some five years ago
I was unable to bring any with me. Since then I have tried to buy them
on-line, either as seeds or plants.

But all my efforts have come to naught - everything I acquire has
orange flowers, not red. P. Orientale 'Beauty of Livermere' is
supposed to be similar, or at least red, but mine have just started to
flower for the first time, and guess what, they're orange!

Does anyone know of a reliable source of RED papaver bracteatum, seeds
or plants? Plenty of adverts on-line (BTDT), but are they actually
RED?

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Papaver Bracteatum

<u64o0a$2ntjd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2543&group=uk.rec.gardening#2543

From: diverse@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Papaver Bracteatum
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 16:07:52 +0100
 by: N_Cook - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 15:07 UTC

On 11/06/2023 14:31, Chris Hogg wrote:
> Sometimes know as Papaver Orientale var. Bracteatum, or the great
> scarlet poppy, or the Iranian poppy.
>
> At another time and in another place, I had a clump of these bright
> red Oriental-type poppies, but when I moved house some five years ago
> I was unable to bring any with me. Since then I have tried to buy them
> on-line, either as seeds or plants.
>
> But all my efforts have come to naught - everything I acquire has
> orange flowers, not red. P. Orientale 'Beauty of Livermere' is
> supposed to be similar, or at least red, but mine have just started to
> flower for the first time, and guess what, they're orange!
>
> Does anyone know of a reliable source of RED papaver bracteatum, seeds
> or plants? Plenty of adverts on-line (BTDT), but are they actually
> RED?

Change of soil type?

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>

Re: Papaver Bracteatum

<t5qb8i5qqvkv080ukmvkql9r46g3cmacnq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2545&group=uk.rec.gardening#2545

From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 16:36:03 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 15:36 UTC

On Sun, 11 Jun 2023 16:07:52 +0100, N_Cook <diverse@tcp.co.uk> wrote:

>On 11/06/2023 14:31, Chris Hogg wrote:
>> Sometimes know as Papaver Orientale var. Bracteatum, or the great
>> scarlet poppy, or the Iranian poppy.
>>
>> At another time and in another place, I had a clump of these bright
>> red Oriental-type poppies, but when I moved house some five years ago
>> I was unable to bring any with me. Since then I have tried to buy them
>> on-line, either as seeds or plants.
>>
>> But all my efforts have come to naught - everything I acquire has
>> orange flowers, not red. P. Orientale 'Beauty of Livermere' is
>> supposed to be similar, or at least red, but mine have just started to
>> flower for the first time, and guess what, they're orange!
>>
>> Does anyone know of a reliable source of RED papaver bracteatum, seeds
>> or plants? Plenty of adverts on-line (BTDT), but are they actually
>> RED?
>>

>Change of soil type?

Hmm...possible, I suppose. Previous soil was light and slightly
acidic. Soil here is probably less acidic, although still on the acid
side, but it's a much heavier loam. I might try growing some in pots
with different soils : acid-neutral-alkaline, light-heavy, six in all.
Not beyond possible.

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Papaver Bracteatum

<g07j8i5e1mc7ihmv8k00s5nohbfm7oejdv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2565&group=uk.rec.gardening#2565

From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 11:55:27 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 10:55 UTC

On Sun, 11 Jun 2023 14:31:33 +0100, Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Sometimes know as Papaver Orientale var. Bracteatum, or the great
>scarlet poppy, or the Iranian poppy.
>
>At another time and in another place, I had a clump of these bright
>red Oriental-type poppies, but when I moved house some five years ago
>I was unable to bring any with me. Since then I have tried to buy them
>on-line, either as seeds or plants.
>
>But all my efforts have come to naught - everything I acquire has
>orange flowers, not red. P. Orientale 'Beauty of Livermere' is
>supposed to be similar, or at least red, but mine have just started to
>flower for the first time, and guess what, they're orange!
>
>Does anyone know of a reliable source of RED papaver bracteatum, seeds
>or plants? Plenty of adverts on-line (BTDT), but are they actually
>RED?

Good news! At least one of my 'Beauty of Livermere' poppies has a red
flower. I will nurture it, collect seed, divide it, whatever, to
generate more and ditch the rest.