Good night to spend with family, but avoid arguments with your mate's new lover.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Talking

SubjectAuthor
* TalkingTone
+- Re: TalkingMark P. Nelson
+* Re: TalkingMike Spencer
|+- Re: TalkingTone
|`* Re: TalkingTease'n'Seize
| `- Re: TalkingPeter
+- Re: Talkingmaus
+- Re: TalkingRichard Robinson
`- Re: TalkingBrian Gaff

1
Talking

<ubc1fn$255ms$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25532&group=uk.rec.sheds#25532

From: tone@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Talking
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 02:53:59 +0100
 by: Tone - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 01:53 UTC

Compared with face-to-face conversation does IT media communication have
any real value?

Asking for a fiend.

Tone

Re: Talking

<XnsB05FE87355827mpndisorg@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25533&group=uk.rec.sheds#25533

From: markpnelson@sbcglobal.net (Mark P. Nelson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Talking
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 05:51:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark P. Nelson - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 05:51 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> wrote in news:ubc1fn$255ms$1@dont-email.me:

> Compared with face-to-face conversation does IT media communication have
> any real value?
>
> Asking for a fiend.
>
> Tone

Yes.

Since the start of the pandemic my wife and I have kept up weekly happy hour
(drink and snacks) video chats with several dear friends in distant parts.
This has contributed immensely to maintaining sanity and balance in what
would otherwise have been ghastly isolation.

I moved to California in 1981. I regularly chat with my sister in Bordeaux
and we have a good laugh about how awful our parents were and how we moved as
far away as possible as soon as we could. We've only actually seen each other
four times since 1977, but we always loved each other and it's lovely to be
able to keep in touch, even if only through video chat.

Mark.

--
Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos -- the only sysadmins that matter

Re: Talking

<87msyucdvx.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25534&group=uk.rec.sheds#25534

From: mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 14 Aug 2023 03:54:42 -0300
Sender: mds@enoch.nodomain.nowhere
 by: Mike Spencer - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 06:54 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> writes:

> Compared with face-to-face conversation does IT media communication have
> any real value?
>
> Asking for a fiend.

I'm the same age as you are and I find I have increasing difficulty
putting cogent, substantive thoughts together on the fly. Yew know,
being able to bring instantly to mind words like "cogent" and
"substantive" when needed.

So on-line chat, video chat, texting, TAFKAT [42] etc. not so much.
But with email and Usenet, it doesn't break the ongoing conversation
for me to backspace to insert a better word, pause to look up
something I only vaguely recall or perhaps verify something that I'm
tempted to say as a bald-faced assertion before I write it. I'm
mildly appalled, at 81, by how much less fluent I am in conversation
that rises above idle nattering, notwithstanding how much better I can
write than I could at 40.

Not that such correspondence replaces convivial f2f conversation but
makes it possible to include in an ongoing conversation stuff that I
can no longer rap off with all the best words, avoid the potholes of
ambiguity on the fly or, perhaps, deliver impromptu arcane witticisms
the supporting details of which I can't remember just at the moment.

[42] The Application Formerly Known As Twitter

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Talking

<slrnudjk4l.45t.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25535&group=uk.rec.sheds#25535

From: maus@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 14 Aug 2023 06:58:29 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 06:58 UTC

On 2023-08-14, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
> Compared with face-to-face conversation does IT media communication have
> any real value?
>
> Asking for a fiend.
>
> Tone

Fills in time for us that are housebound. A way for Influencers to
irritate people

--
greymausg@mail.com
Where is our money gone:?.

Re: Talking

<ubcl3d$27d1l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25537&group=uk.rec.sheds#25537

From: tone@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 08:28:45 +0100
 by: Tone - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 07:28 UTC

On 14/08/2023 07:54, Mike Spencer wrote:
> Tone <tone@email.com> writes:
>
>> Compared with face-to-face conversation does IT media communication have
>> any real value?
>>
>> Asking for a fiend.
>
> I'm the same age as you are and I find I have increasing difficulty
> putting cogent, substantive thoughts together on the fly. Yew know,
> being able to bring instantly to mind words like "cogent" and
> "substantive" when needed.
>
> So on-line chat, video chat, texting, TAFKAT [42] etc. not so much.
> But with email and Usenet, it doesn't break the ongoing conversation
> for me to backspace to insert a better word, pause to look up
> something I only vaguely recall or perhaps verify something that I'm
> tempted to say as a bald-faced assertion before I write it. I'm
> mildly appalled, at 81, by how much less fluent I am in conversation
> that rises above idle nattering, notwithstanding how much better I can
> write than I could at 40.
>
> Not that such correspondence replaces convivial f2f conversation but
> makes it possible to include in an ongoing conversation stuff that I
> can no longer rap off with all the best words, avoid the potholes of
> ambiguity on the fly or, perhaps, deliver impromptu arcane witticisms
> the supporting details of which I can't remember just at the moment.
>

> [42] The Application Formerly Known As Twitter

I know what you mean Mike.

As you know I do radio presentation, but I am finding that my ability to
ad lib is decreasing rapidly. Luckily I pre-record mostly now because I
get out of breath so easily. Long Covid to blame, probably.

I still don't read from a script, though I do from notes.

If I found that I needed a script I would give it up immediately. I have
no wish to sound like a news reader.

My problem with the written word is that my dyslexia is getting worse as
i get oldererer. If I didn't use speel chucker I would sound like the
policeman in 'Allo 'Allo.

But an additional benefit of IT media communication is the sense of
community that I get from certain sites, this one particularly. It's why
I'm still here. But others are the radio programme Facebook groups,
particularly the folk ones.

I know from experience that if I was in real trouble I would only need
to shout and help would be forthcoming immediately from the folkies.

I was amazed at how many turned up for my 80th & 81st birthday bashes.

Tone

Re: Talking

<ubctrp$28l00$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25546&group=uk.rec.sheds#25546

From: richard@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 09:58:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 09:58 UTC

Tone said:
> Compared with face-to-face conversation does IT media communication have
> any real value?

You must think so, or you wouldn't be asking it questions ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Talking

<KQedne8Qe5femkf5nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25548&group=uk.rec.sheds#25548

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 11:51:48 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-and-seize@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 10:51 UTC

Mike Spencer wrote:

> I find I have increasing difficulty putting cogent, substantive thoughts
> together on the fly. Yew know, being able to bring instantly to mind
> words like "cogent" and "substantive" when needed.

I'm a bit youngerer, but I still find myself having to make a decision
whether to embark on a sentence, hoping that my brain can drag-out the
required word by the time my tongue gets that far into the sentence ...

Re: Talking

<XnsB060811A5ED91Factura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25550&group=uk.rec.sheds#25550

From: myshed@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 11:41:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 11:41 UTC

Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote in

> Mike Spencer wrote:
>
>> I find I have increasing difficulty putting cogent, substantive
>> thoughts together on the fly. Yew know, being able to bring instantly
>> to mind words like "cogent" and "substantive" when needed.
>
> I'm a bit youngerer, but I still find myself having to make a decision
> whether to embark on a sentence, hoping that my brain can drag-out the
> required word by the time my tongue gets that far into the sentence

I uster lecture to learned societies and I had that problem - I'd be half
way through a sentnce and I'd forget where I was going with it. Supressed
panic, extemporising while the cogs whirled round, then (usually) the idea
would pop back into my head. Having a hundred or so faces staring at me
expectantly while this was going on did not help.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Talking

<ubfptq$2qj0p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=25592&group=uk.rec.sheds#25592

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 13:09:28 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 12:09 UTC

Well, it can have, but in the end one has to meet the person. There is a
reality show going on at the moment where people who have only ever met on
line go to meet their siance' and marry them, and I like you would expect
that the persona on line is totally different to real life, I guess it would
be quite humorous except that those involved seem to think it will always
work.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tone" <tone@email.com> wrote in message
> Compared with face-to-face conversation does IT media communication have
> any real value?
>
> Asking for a fiend.
>
> Tone

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Talking