"When it comes to humility, I'm the greatest." -- Bullwinkle Moose

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Mealybug

SubjectAuthor
* MealybugChris Hogg
+* MealybugRustyHinge
|`- MealybugChris Hogg
`* MealybugCharlie Pridham
 `* MealybugChris Hogg
  `* MealybugCharlie Pridham
   `* MealybugChris Hogg
    `- MealybugJeff Layman

1
Mealybug

<6stf9idq9fp8hc7buasgn0nbfip8qdq6g5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2577&group=uk.rec.gardening#2577

From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Mealybug
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 09:33:18 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Sun, 25 Jun 2023 08:33 UTC

I have an indoor passionflower (P. vitifolia, red flowers) in my
conservatory. It is being attacked by mealybug. The vine is quite
extensive, so painting the bugs individually with meths is not an
option. I am spraying with Scott's 'Bug Clear Ultra'(acetamiprid)
which they claim has both contact and systemic actions.

Maybe, but given the way these sorts of bugs in general (mealybug,
woolly aphid, whitefly, red spider mite etc) rapidly develop
resistance to insecticides, maybe not.

But how do I tell if the Bug Clear is working? While many of the
little clumps of mealybugs look a bit sickly and gone from a bright
woolly white to a dirty grey, they haven't obviously died. They're
still there.

So how do I tell if they've actually expired?

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Mealybug

<u7919e$enlc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2578&group=uk.rec.gardening#2578

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Mealybug
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 10:27:09 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 25 Jun 2023 09:27 UTC

On 25/06/2023 09:33, Chris Hogg wrote:
> I have an indoor passionflower (P. vitifolia, red flowers) in my
> conservatory. It is being attacked by mealybug. The vine is quite
> extensive, so painting the bugs individually with meths is not an
> option. I am spraying with Scott's 'Bug Clear Ultra'(acetamiprid)
> which they claim has both contact and systemic actions.
>
> Maybe, but given the way these sorts of bugs in general (mealybug,
> woolly aphid, whitefly, red spider mite etc) rapidly develop
> resistance to insecticides, maybe not.
>
> But how do I tell if the Bug Clear is working? While many of the
> little clumps of mealybugs look a bit sickly and gone from a bright
> woolly white to a dirty grey, they haven't obviously died. They're
> still there.
>
> So how do I tell if they've actually expired?

A remedy which isn't licensed for use (because it hasn't been tested by
the official gang (because it has no profit for anyone) is to boil
rhubarb laves and add a little washing-up liquid to the juice and use
the resulting liquid as a spray.

I can't see them building-up resistance to *that*.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Mealybug

<q63g9i1jea4sgr8ts1qtv8nerht3pscmk5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2579&group=uk.rec.gardening#2579

From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 10:51:03 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Sun, 25 Jun 2023 09:51 UTC

On Sun, 25 Jun 2023 10:27:09 +0100, RustyHinge
<rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

>On 25/06/2023 09:33, Chris Hogg wrote:
>> I have an indoor passionflower (P. vitifolia, red flowers) in my
>> conservatory. It is being attacked by mealybug. The vine is quite
>> extensive, so painting the bugs individually with meths is not an
>> option. I am spraying with Scott's 'Bug Clear Ultra'(acetamiprid)
>> which they claim has both contact and systemic actions.
>>
>> Maybe, but given the way these sorts of bugs in general (mealybug,
>> woolly aphid, whitefly, red spider mite etc) rapidly develop
>> resistance to insecticides, maybe not.
>>
>> But how do I tell if the Bug Clear is working? While many of the
>> little clumps of mealybugs look a bit sickly and gone from a bright
>> woolly white to a dirty grey, they haven't obviously died. They're
>> still there.
>>
>> So how do I tell if they've actually expired?
>
>A remedy which isn't licensed for use (because it hasn't been tested by
>the official gang (because it has no profit for anyone) is to boil
>rhubarb laves and add a little washing-up liquid to the juice and use
>the resulting liquid as a spray.
>
>I can't see them building-up resistance to *that*.

I can, but thanks anyway. All I need now is some rhubarb leaves...
(or perhaps a source of oxalic acid. Plenty of ads on the 'net).

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Mealybug

<u7mhik$2hne0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2586&group=uk.rec.gardening#2586

From: charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 13:24:53 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 12:24 UTC

On 25/06/2023 09:33, Chris Hogg wrote:
> I have an indoor passionflower (P. vitifolia, red flowers) in my
> conservatory. It is being attacked by mealybug. The vine is quite
> extensive, so painting the bugs individually with meths is not an
> option. I am spraying with Scott's 'Bug Clear Ultra'(acetamiprid)
> which they claim has both contact and systemic actions.
>
> Maybe, but given the way these sorts of bugs in general (mealybug,
> woolly aphid, whitefly, red spider mite etc) rapidly develop
> resistance to insecticides, maybe not.
>
> But how do I tell if the Bug Clear is working? While many of the
> little clumps of mealybugs look a bit sickly and gone from a bright
> woolly white to a dirty grey, they haven't obviously died. They're
> still there.
>
> So how do I tell if they've actually expired?

Chris, its very important after spraying to do a thorough clean up, we
use old tooth brushes,you need to do the structure as well as the plant
and check the stems just below the soil level. it takes a while but
unless you get rid of all the egg masses they will be back in no time.
Sadly Passiflora are particular targets.
--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Re: Mealybug

<ratt9i9u47i45bia58vjs17312ioq6a3oc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2589&group=uk.rec.gardening#2589

From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 16:47:39 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 15:47 UTC

On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 13:24:53 +0100, Charlie Pridham
<charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk> wrote:

>On 25/06/2023 09:33, Chris Hogg wrote:
>> I have an indoor passionflower (P. vitifolia, red flowers) in my
>> conservatory. It is being attacked by mealybug. The vine is quite
>> extensive, so painting the bugs individually with meths is not an
>> option. I am spraying with Scott's 'Bug Clear Ultra'(acetamiprid)
>> which they claim has both contact and systemic actions.
>>
>> Maybe, but given the way these sorts of bugs in general (mealybug,
>> woolly aphid, whitefly, red spider mite etc) rapidly develop
>> resistance to insecticides, maybe not.
>>
>> But how do I tell if the Bug Clear is working? While many of the
>> little clumps of mealybugs look a bit sickly and gone from a bright
>> woolly white to a dirty grey, they haven't obviously died. They're
>> still there.
>>
>> So how do I tell if they've actually expired?
>>

>Chris, its very important after spraying to do a thorough clean up, we
>use old tooth brushes,you need to do the structure as well as the plant
>and check the stems just below the soil level. it takes a while but
>unless you get rid of all the egg masses they will be back in no time.
>Sadly Passiflora are particular targets.

Thanks Charlie. Cleaning up may be difficult. I'm planning on spraying
every week to ten days to try and catch the hatchlings before they are
mature enough to lay a new round of eggs.

If that fails, I see there are some biological controls I might try,
e.g. Cryptolaemus montrouzieri (the Australian Ladybird)
https://tinyurl.com/2xpfnt59 and https://tinyurl.com/466wdh37.

Have you any experience of it?

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Mealybug

<u7n0na$2jb12$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2590&group=uk.rec.gardening#2590

From: charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 17:43:21 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 16:43 UTC

On 30/06/2023 16:47, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 13:24:53 +0100, Charlie Pridham
> <charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 25/06/2023 09:33, Chris Hogg wrote:
>>> I have an indoor passionflower (P. vitifolia, red flowers) in my
>>> conservatory. It is being attacked by mealybug. The vine is quite
>>> extensive, so painting the bugs individually with meths is not an
>>> option. I am spraying with Scott's 'Bug Clear Ultra'(acetamiprid)
>>> which they claim has both contact and systemic actions.
>>>
>>> Maybe, but given the way these sorts of bugs in general (mealybug,
>>> woolly aphid, whitefly, red spider mite etc) rapidly develop
>>> resistance to insecticides, maybe not.
>>>
>>> But how do I tell if the Bug Clear is working? While many of the
>>> little clumps of mealybugs look a bit sickly and gone from a bright
>>> woolly white to a dirty grey, they haven't obviously died. They're
>>> still there.
>>>
>>> So how do I tell if they've actually expired?
>>>

>> Chris, its very important after spraying to do a thorough clean up, we
>> use old tooth brushes,you need to do the structure as well as the plant
>> and check the stems just below the soil level. it takes a while but
>> unless you get rid of all the egg masses they will be back in no time.
>> Sadly Passiflora are particular targets.
>
> Thanks Charlie. Cleaning up may be difficult. I'm planning on spraying
> every week to ten days to try and catch the hatchlings before they are
> mature enough to lay a new round of eggs.
>
> If that fails, I see there are some biological controls I might try,
> e.g. Cryptolaemus montrouzieri (the Australian Ladybird)
> https://tinyurl.com/2xpfnt59 and https://tinyurl.com/466wdh37.
>
> Have you any experience of it?

Yes , tried them once but you have to completely seal the conservatory
(I used net curtaining) because the adult lady birds fly straight out of
even tiny gaps, I think these days you can buy the larvae but you would
have to buy a lot to have much impact on a serious infestation, it
worked but so does leaving the outside door open and letting the Wrens
come in!
I think if you can get things a bit under control using the Amblyseius
andersoni mites in the spring can help stop a build up.

Although you probably dont want to you may find greatly reducing the
size of the Passion flower so you can get on top of things
--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Re: Mealybug

<4871ai1icm2o4h2voanbvc7plqpd1idgac@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2593&group=uk.rec.gardening#2593

From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 22:57:04 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 21:57 UTC

On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 17:43:21 +0100, Charlie Pridham
<charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk> wrote:

>On 30/06/2023 16:47, Chris Hogg wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 13:24:53 +0100, Charlie Pridham
>> <charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Chris, its very important after spraying to do a thorough clean up, we
>>> use old tooth brushes,you need to do the structure as well as the plant
>>> and check the stems just below the soil level. it takes a while but
>>> unless you get rid of all the egg masses they will be back in no time.
>>> Sadly Passiflora are particular targets.
>>
>> Thanks Charlie. Cleaning up may be difficult. I'm planning on spraying
>> every week to ten days to try and catch the hatchlings before they are
>> mature enough to lay a new round of eggs.
>>
>> If that fails, I see there are some biological controls I might try,
>> e.g. Cryptolaemus montrouzieri (the Australian Ladybird)
>> https://tinyurl.com/2xpfnt59 and https://tinyurl.com/466wdh37.
>>
>> Have you any experience of it?
>>

>Yes , tried them once but you have to completely seal the conservatory
>(I used net curtaining) because the adult lady birds fly straight out of
>even tiny gaps, I think these days you can buy the larvae but you would
>have to buy a lot to have much impact on a serious infestation, it
>worked but so does leaving the outside door open and letting the Wrens
>come in!
>I think if you can get things a bit under control using the ?Amblyseius
>andersoni mites in the spring can help stop a build up.
>
>Although you probably dont want to you may find greatly reducing the
>size of the Passion flower so you can get on top of things

Thanks again Charlie I may have to resort to cutting it hard back -
the lower three feet are a bit naked anyway so would probably benefit.
But before I try that, which is a bit drastic, I'll probably go down
the biological control route. I see that Cryptolaemus montrouzieri
Larvae can also be used against mealybug, which now gives me three
options to try in that direction .

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Mealybug

<u7ra3k$38pdl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2594&group=uk.rec.gardening#2594

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 08:48:04 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 07:48 UTC

On 01/07/2023 22:57, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 17:43:21 +0100, Charlie Pridham
> <charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 30/06/2023 16:47, Chris Hogg wrote:

>>> Thanks Charlie. Cleaning up may be difficult. I'm planning on spraying
>>> every week to ten days to try and catch the hatchlings before they are
>>> mature enough to lay a new round of eggs.
>>>
>>> If that fails, I see there are some biological controls I might try,
>>> e.g. Cryptolaemus montrouzieri (the Australian Ladybird)
>>> https://tinyurl.com/2xpfnt59 and https://tinyurl.com/466wdh37.
>>>
>>> Have you any experience of it?
>>>

>> Yes , tried them once but you have to completely seal the conservatory
>> (I used net curtaining) because the adult lady birds fly straight out of
>> even tiny gaps, I think these days you can buy the larvae but you would
>> have to buy a lot to have much impact on a serious infestation, it
>> worked but so does leaving the outside door open and letting the Wrens
>> come in!
>> I think if you can get things a bit under control using the ?Amblyseius
>> andersoni mites in the spring can help stop a build up.
>>
>> Although you probably dont want to you may find greatly reducing the
>> size of the Passion flower so you can get on top of things
>
> Thanks again Charlie I may have to resort to cutting it hard back -
> the lower three feet are a bit naked anyway so would probably benefit.
> But before I try that, which is a bit drastic, I'll probably go down
> the biological control route. I see that Cryptolaemus montrouzieri
> Larvae can also be used against mealybug, which now gives me three
> options to try in that direction .

Maybe invite a few addicted vapers for an afternoon in your
conservatory? You might get a result similar to this. ;-)
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/273160379_Effect_of_Tobacco_Smoke_on_Controlling_Aphids_in_Greenhouse>

I've never seen mealy bug on passion flowers, but then they're outside
or in the greenhouse. In the conservatory, my cacti are martyrs to the
little pests, unfortunately. I also have some cacti in the greenhouse,
and they also never get mealy bug.

--

Jeff