"I prefer to think that God is not dead, just drunk" -- John Huston

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: Pyracanthus

SubjectAuthor
* PyracanthusJim the Geordie
`* PyracanthusJeff Layman
 +* PyracanthusRustyHinge
 |`- PyracanthusNick Maclaren
 `* PyracanthusJim The Geordie
  +- PyracanthusJeff Layman
  `* PyracanthusNick Maclaren
   `* PyracanthusJim the Geordie
    +- PyracanthusJeff Layman
    `* PyracanthusStewart Robert Hinsley
     `- PyracanthusJim the Geordie

1
Pyracanthus

<MPG.3f17a0769d3266d9989692@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2602&group=uk.rec.gardening#2602

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Pyracanthus
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 18:23:40 +0100
 by: Jim the Geordie - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:23 UTC

I asked here in the spring about a Pyracanthus looking poorly.
I think it is terminal now (see photo)
Does anyone recognise the cause.
I guess I should probably not replant on the same spot, but what about
other plants to replace it?
I was thinking Mahonia perhaps.
https://www.jimscott.co.uk/Pyracanthus.jpg

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Pyracanthus

<u8k7kc$2voec$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2603&group=uk.rec.gardening#2603

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Pyracanthus
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:39:07 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 18:39 UTC

On 11/07/2023 18:23, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> I asked here in the spring about a Pyracanthus looking poorly.
> I think it is terminal now (see photo)
> Does anyone recognise the cause.
> I guess I should probably not replant on the same spot, but what about
> other plants to replace it?
> I was thinking Mahonia perhaps.
> https://www.jimscott.co.uk/Pyracanthus.jpg

As stated in the earlier thread, avoid anything from the Rosaceae when
replacing it. Mahonia should be suitable, also Berberis (julianae and X
lologensis are evergreen and have quite long spines if that's what
you're after). You might also have a look at Osmanthus, although they
aren't the fastest growers.

--

Jeff

Re: Pyracanthus

<u8kp3f$31mqr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2604&group=uk.rec.gardening#2604

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 00:37:17 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 23:37 UTC

On 11/07/2023 19:39, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 11/07/2023 18:23, Jim the Geordie wrote:
>> I asked here in the spring about a Pyracanthus looking poorly.
>> I think it is terminal now (see photo)
>> Does anyone recognise the cause.
>> I guess I should probably not replant on the same spot, but what about
>> other plants to replace it?
>> I was thinking Mahonia perhaps.
>> https://www.jimscott.co.uk/Pyracanthus.jpg
>
> As stated in the earlier thread, avoid anything from the Rosaceae when
> replacing it. Mahonia should be suitable, also Berberis (julianae and X
> lologensis are evergreen and have quite long spines if that's what
> you're after). You might also have a look at Osmanthus, although they
> aren't the fastest growers.

Personally, I'd go for the Mahonia/Berberis option as theflowers are
mostly well-scented, and the berries make excellent jelly. Oregon grape
can be quite productive and the berries make a fine tart jelly suitable
for serving with poultry and pork.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Pyracanthus

<u8lofg$382je$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2605&group=uk.rec.gardening#2605

From: nmm@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 08:32:48 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: nmm@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 08:32 UTC

In article <u8kp3f$31mqr$1@dont-email.me>,
RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

>Personally, I'd go for the Mahonia/Berberis option as theflowers are
>mostly well-scented, and the berries make excellent jelly. Oregon grape
>can be quite productive and the berries make a fine tart jelly suitable
>for serving with poultry and pork.

I have a Berberis vulgaris, possibly "asperma", and the problem with
it for jam or jelly is that it digests pectin. It tastes like a
fiercer redcurrent, is used in Persian recipes, and makes an excellent
(and highly traditional) alternative to cranberry sauce. The leaves
can be eaten or used to soften meat, too, but I have not done so
except to taste them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: Pyracanthus

<1gpiy3cwwy15p.1d36zm992koy.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2606&group=uk.rec.gardening#2606

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim The Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 11:50:35 +0100
 by: Jim The Geordie - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 10:50 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:39:07 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

> On 11/07/2023 18:23, Jim the Geordie wrote:
>> I asked here in the spring about a Pyracanthus looking poorly.
>> I think it is terminal now (see photo)
>> Does anyone recognise the cause.
>> I guess I should probably not replant on the same spot, but what about
>> other plants to replace it?
>> I was thinking Mahonia perhaps.
>> https://www.jimscott.co.uk/Pyracanthus.jpg
>
> As stated in the earlier thread, avoid anything from the Rosaceae when
> replacing it. Mahonia should be suitable, also Berberis (julianae and X
> lologensis are evergreen and have quite long spines if that's what
> you're after). You might also have a look at Osmanthus, although they
> aren't the fastest growers.

It was not the spines I was after, but the flowers/berries to look at, not
to eat.
To put you in the picture: its a small terraces house front garden .on
Tyneside Surrounded by a low clipped, privet hedge. It contains 10
different hardy fuchsias, two different pieris, three roses, couple of
geraniums for the bees, 1 stonecrop, a dwarf hydrangea, a small potentilla,
a viburnum, a euonimus and the dying pyracanthus. AND a damn ground
covering campanula (poscharskyana?) which I can only control by ripping it
out by the bucketful, but it not going to go away.
The privet, euonimus and pieris are clipped to get more colour and to keep
the height down.
I want to get a mahonia for the winter colour, but not too tall. Berberis
grows well round here, but would it flower if I kept it below ~ 3ft (same
applies to the Mahonia).
--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Pyracanthus

<u8opkn$3l5ki$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2607&group=uk.rec.gardening#2607

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 13:11:03 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 12:11 UTC

On 13/07/2023 11:50, Jim The Geordie wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:39:07 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:
>
>> On 11/07/2023 18:23, Jim the Geordie wrote:
>>> I asked here in the spring about a Pyracanthus looking poorly.
>>> I think it is terminal now (see photo)
>>> Does anyone recognise the cause.
>>> I guess I should probably not replant on the same spot, but what about
>>> other plants to replace it?
>>> I was thinking Mahonia perhaps.
>>> https://www.jimscott.co.uk/Pyracanthus.jpg
>>
>> As stated in the earlier thread, avoid anything from the Rosaceae when
>> replacing it. Mahonia should be suitable, also Berberis (julianae and X
>> lologensis are evergreen and have quite long spines if that's what
>> you're after). You might also have a look at Osmanthus, although they
>> aren't the fastest growers.
>
> It was not the spines I was after, but the flowers/berries to look at, not
> to eat.
> To put you in the picture: its a small terraces house front garden .on
> Tyneside Surrounded by a low clipped, privet hedge. It contains 10
> different hardy fuchsias, two different pieris, three roses, couple of
> geraniums for the bees, 1 stonecrop, a dwarf hydrangea, a small potentilla,
> a viburnum, a euonimus and the dying pyracanthus. AND a damn ground
> covering campanula (poscharskyana?) which I can only control by ripping it
> out by the bucketful, but it not going to go away.
> The privet, euonimus and pieris are clipped to get more colour and to keep
> the height down.
> I want to get a mahonia for the winter colour, but not too tall. Berberis
> grows well round here, but would it flower if I kept it below ~ 3ft (same
> applies to the Mahonia).

Berberis will flower below 3ft. There are quite a few dwarf varieties
available, some evergreen, some deciduous, and some with purple or
yellow leaves instead of green. So there's a good choice. For flowers
and berries, you could also look at callicarpa, skimmia, smaller
hypericum, and perhaps aucuba.

--

Jeff

Re: Pyracanthus

<u8r1fc$3vltc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2610&group=uk.rec.gardening#2610

From: nmm@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 08:37:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 08:37 UTC

In article <1gpiy3cwwy15p.1d36zm992koy.dlg@40tude.net>,
Jim The Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

>It was not the spines I was after, but the flowers/berries to look at, not
>to eat.

Despite its truly vicious spines (much worse than most garden berberis),
B. vulgaris is a show of yellow in spring, and one of red in autumn
(the berries), and as I said is edible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: Pyracanthus

<MPG.3f1b8cbd2d54cad4989693@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2614&group=uk.rec.gardening#2614

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 17:48:33 +0100
 by: Jim the Geordie - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 16:48 UTC

In article <u8r1fc$3vltc$1@dont-email.me>, nmm@wheeler.UUCP says...

> In article <1gpiy3cwwy15p.1d36zm992koy.dlg@40tude.net>,
> Jim The Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >It was not the spines I was after, but the flowers/berries to look at, not
> >to eat.
>
> Despite its truly vicious spines (much worse than most garden berberis),
> B. vulgaris is a show of yellow in spring, and one of red in autumn
> (the berries), and as I said is edible.
>

> Regards,
> Nick Maclaren.

Got my mind set on Mahonia so I need to find a compact one.
Looking at Nervosa, aquifolium &?, &?
Any experiences?

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Pyracanthus

<u8rvrd$2t9c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2615&group=uk.rec.gardening#2615

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 18:15:25 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 17:15 UTC

On 14/07/2023 17:48, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> In article <u8r1fc$3vltc$1@dont-email.me>, nmm@wheeler.UUCP says...
>>
>> In article <1gpiy3cwwy15p.1d36zm992koy.dlg@40tude.net>,
>> Jim The Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> It was not the spines I was after, but the flowers/berries to look at, not
>>> to eat.
>>
>> Despite its truly vicious spines (much worse than most garden berberis),
>> B. vulgaris is a show of yellow in spring, and one of red in autumn
>> (the berries), and as I said is edible.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Nick Maclaren.
>
> Got my mind set on Mahonia so I need to find a compact one.
> Looking at Nervosa, aquifolium &?, &?
> Any experiences?

Probably either of the above would suit your needs, and perhaps M.
nervosa. I've got M. japonica and it's a big plant; mine is about 2.5m
high and the same across. It does have the advantage of yellow flowers
with a lily-of-the-valley scent early in the year.

--

Jeff

Re: Pyracanthus

<u944gr$1av8f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2617&group=uk.rec.gardening#2617

From: {$news$}@meden.demon.co.uk (Stewart Robert Hinsley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 20:24:11 +0100
 by: Stewart Robert Hinsl - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 19:24 UTC

On 14/07/2023 17:48, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> Got my mind set on Mahonia so I need to find a compact one.
> Looking at Nervosa, aquifolium &?, &?
> Any experiences?

Round here Mahonia aquifolium is a bit of a weed - it invades
(bird-sown, I presume) people's hedges. I don't find it particularly
attractive, beyond the clusters of yellow flowers in spring.

My preferred Berberis/Mahonia would be Berberis darwinii.

--
SRH

Re: Pyracanthus

<MPG.3f20539b42bca9b989694@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2620&group=uk.rec.gardening#2620

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 08:46:12 +0100
 by: Jim the Geordie - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 07:46 UTC

In article <u944gr$1av8f$1@dont-email.me>, {$news$}@meden.demon.co.uk
says...

> On 14/07/2023 17:48, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> > Got my mind set on Mahonia so I need to find a compact one.
> > Looking at Nervosa, aquifolium &?, &?
> > Any experiences?
>
> Round here Mahonia aquifolium is a bit of a weed - it invades
> (bird-sown, I presume) people's hedges. I don't find it particularly
> attractive, beyond the clusters of yellow flowers in spring.
>
> My preferred Berberis/Mahonia would be Berberis darwinii.

Thanks. I've ordeed Mahonia Soft Caress. If you know why I shouldn't
have - keep it to yourself :o)

--
Jim the Geordie