From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Agave flowering at Uni of Leicester botanic garden glasshouse.
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 14:11:34 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 13:11 UTC

I fail to see what's so special. Agaves grow outdoors in Cornwall and
probably elsewhere along the south coast, and possibly along the west
coast as far north as Scotland, benefiting from the Gulf Stream. They
do occasionally flower. Having flowered, they die and produce lots of
little plantlet's (offsets) in the process, so the apparent claim that
this plant hasn't flowered for 25 years is misleading - it's not the
same plant.

Most of them are A. Americana. Is this something different and
special?

As yet, I'm unimpressed! I suspect journalistic ignorance and hype.

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Agave flowering at Uni of Leicester botanic garden glasshouse.

<9b1aa9ce-f39f-3b5f-b41f-6c54736e1b61@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2645&group=uk.rec.gardening#2645

From: hobdens@btinternet.com (Bob Hobden)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 07:52:31 +0100
 by: Bob Hobden - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 06:52 UTC

On 20/07/2023 14:11, Chris Hogg wrote:
> I fail to see what's so special. Agaves grow outdoors in Cornwall and
> probably elsewhere along the south coast, and possibly along the west
> coast as far north as Scotland, benefiting from the Gulf Stream. They
> do occasionally flower. Having flowered, they die and produce lots of
> little plantlet's (offsets) in the process, so the apparent claim that
> this plant hasn't flowered for 25 years is misleading - it's not the
> same plant.
>
> Most of them are A. Americana. Is this something different and
> special?
>
> As yet, I'm unimpressed! I suspect journalistic ignorance and hype.

Funny you should mention this, I noticed a very large plain green Agave
flowering in a front garden in Shepperton yesterday. Flower spike is
already taller than the telegraph pole next to it, very impressive.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden