Mother is far too clever to understand anything she does not like. -- Arnold Bennett

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Welcome to the IPL, England-style

SubjectAuthor
* Welcome to the IPL, England-styleFBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
`* Welcome to the IPL, England-styleRobert Henderson
 `* Welcome to the IPL, England-styleNajeeb ybo
  `* Welcome to the IPL, England-styleRobert Henderson
   `* Welcome to the IPL, England-styleNajeeb ybo
    `* Welcome to the IPL, England-styleRobert Henderson
     `* Welcome to the IPL, England-styleNajeeb ybo
      `* Welcome to the IPL, England-styleRobert Henderson
       `* Welcome to the IPL, England-styleNajeeb ybo
        +- Welcome to the IPL, England-styleRobert Henderson
        `* Welcome to the IPL, England-styleMike Holmans
         `* Welcome to the IPL, England-styleJohn Hall
          `- Welcome to the IPL, England-styleMike Holmans

1
Welcome to the IPL, England-style

<u3ptjb$2i3q4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26536&group=uk.sport.cricket#26536

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Welcome to the IPL, England-style
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 23:03:23 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Sun, 14 May 2023 06:03 UTC

ECB had NO CHOICE but to accept IPL and let England players play in IPL.

With time, more and more England cricket fans will also WATCH IPL.

Welcome to the IPL, England-style

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/welcome-to-ipl-2023-england-style-1374988

The ECB's resistance for the IPL has vanished in the last few years,
with Englishmen now playing key roles at almost every franchise

It's 6.15pm at Bengaluru's M Chinnaswamy Stadium, the evening before
Royal Challengers Bangalore play Kolkata Knight Riders. The teams are
training on either side of the square and in between them, two men are
chatting - one in KKR's training kit, the other in an RCB polo.

James Foster, KKR's assistant coach, is catching up with Mo Bobat, who
has come to India for a week in his role as a performance consultant for
RCB. Foster has regularly worked with England as an assistant coach in
the last three years, while Bobat is the ECB's performance director.

David Willey walks past them and towards the changing rooms, having
finished his pre-match net. When he re-emerges, ball in hand, he wanders
over to RCB and England white-ball analyst Freddie Wilde and the pair
discuss plans for the following evening: how should Willey attack Jason Roy?

On the other side of the square, Roy is waiting to bat in the KKR nets,
having started his session slightly later than his team-mates because of
media duties. "To play here, in front of these crowds… it's incredibly
special," he said, the night before hitting a 22-ball half-century. "The
passion over here is second to none."

Back home in the UK, KKR are being supported remotely by Nathan Leamon,
Wilde's predecessor with England. James Bell, a psychologist who works
regularly with England teams, is available to RCB's players remotely,
before joining them during their stretch of five consecutive away games.

Welcome to the IPL, England-style. Eight years ago, after England failed
to reach the quarter-finals in an abject ODI World Cup, only two of
their players - Ravi Bopara and Eoin Morgan - made an appearance in the
IPL, and contributed 332 runs and six wickets between them.

Now, there are Englishmen playing key roles at almost every franchise -
both on and off the pitch. "It's been a big shift," says Moeen Ali, who
has played in each of the last six IPL seasons. "Before, you had some
English guys playing but definitely not as many as you would do now."

On Monday, Chris Jordan became the 17th England player to have been
under contract at some stage in IPL 2023, a record for a single season.
Nine of the league's ten teams have fielded at least one Englishman over
the last six weeks; the only exception, Gujarat Titans, have one as
their director of cricket.

"You expect it," says Joe Root, who finally made his IPL debut on Sunday
for Rajasthan Royals. "When you look at that [England] T20 team at the
minute, you're looking at some of the world's best players. The fact
that the guys have got the exposure to it, I think's excellent. It will
only better the game in our country."

Morgan, Paul Collingwood and Kevin Pietersen - three of the IPL's early
advocates in England - have been involved in commentary on various
platforms during this season, and all three may look back with some
bemusement at the resistance that they encountered from the ECB when
trying to make themselves available to play in the IPL's early seasons.

Pietersen memorably compared talking to Andrew Strauss, his England
captain, about the IPL to "speaking to the vicar about gangsta rap" in
his 2014 autobiography. On Friday night, Strauss' face briefly flashed
up on the big screen at Jaipur's Sawai Mansingh Stadium; he was wearing
a pink Rajasthan Royals polo shirt, and was there in his capacity as a
consultant to the franchise.

In truth, Strauss' approach towards the IPL was never quite as Pietersen
described. "Going to India, surrounding yourself with the best players
in the world and learning how to innovate and adapt in vastly different
conditions must surely be of huge benefit to players," Strauss wrote in
his own autobiography, Driving Ambition - which was published a year
before Pietersen's.

"If England are serious about being a force in the shorter forms of the
game, one thing the administrators have to look at is creating a window
to allow our players to participate," Strauss continued. When he became
England's managing director of men's cricket in 2015, Strauss set about
doing just that.

After the 2015 World Cup, in which England were eliminated before the
quarter-finals, Strauss noticed a huge contrast in IPL experience
between England's squad and the four semi-finalists (Australia, India,
New Zealand and South Africa). It confirmed his belief that the benefits
of spending two months alongside the world's best white-ball players
were competitive, as well as commercial.

Players were actively encouraged to enter the IPL auction, even though
it meant missing two months of County Championship cricket in the
build-up to the first Test series of the summer. Where going to India
had once counted against players in the selection, IPL form was now
actively considered: Jos Buttler won a Test recall in 2018 after five
consecutive half-centuries for Rajasthan Royals.

And gradually, the ECB's desire for players to experience the IPL has
been reflected financially, too. Since inception, centrally-contracted
players were deducted a percentage of their annual retainer for every
day they spent at the IPL; in the last few years, that arrangement has
quietly been dropped.

Now, England's status as double world champions - the first men's team
to hold the 50-over and 20-over World Cups simultaneously - means that
franchises are desperate to tap into their white-ball culture. "It just
shows that we've been quality for a number of years in international
cricket so, most of the time, teams are going to want to pick your
players in the IPL," Moeen says.

Three of the top five buys at December's auction were English (Harry
Brook, Sam Curran and Ben Stokes) and while none of them have had the
tournaments they envisaged, Brook scored this season's first century and
Curran was entrusted with the Punjab Kings captaincy when Shikhar Dhawan
was unavailable.

But now, even players who are not guaranteed selection in a
full-strength England team find themselves in demand. "It is great to
see even guys like Phil Salt step up, take his opportunity, start making
some scores - guys that aren't always regulars on the international
scene start making their way in this tournament," says Root, who himself
has not played a T20 international for four years.

And now, the transition extends beyond the pitch. Take Bobat, for
example. "I've worked with Mo for three years now," says Mike Hesson,
RCB's director of cricket. "In white-ball cricket, England have without
a doubt made a good transition. Obviously in 2015 - which I was part of
[as New Zealand coach] - England were not at their best.

"And we certainly saw from a New Zealand perspective, how England
changed. I saw it first-hand, with Brendon [McCullum] and Eoin being
great mates and sharing a lot of similarities. That flowed into
white-ball cricket, and now it's a big part of their red-ball stuff. Mo
has been a part of that journey, in terms of how that transition has
happened. We're lucky to have him."

Where once Australians dominated among IPL backroom staff, Englishmen
are gradually replacing them. After working closely with the franchise
while Jofra Archer was returning to fitness, Ben Langley left the ECB to
become Mumbai Indians' global head of sports science and medicine
earlier this year.

The fear, in the medium term, is that others could follow him. The
expansion of IPL franchises overseas means that staff are signing
year-round contracts; it is only a matter of time until players follow
suit, with informal discussions already underway in some cases.

In the ECB's financial statements for 2022-23, the "emergence and growth
of global franchise leagues and pressure on player wage inflation in a
highly competitive market" is identified as a "major risk". The board is
in the process of overhauling its central-contract system, recognising
that the T20 leagues' pulling power is not going anywhere.

But if IPL franchises trust Englishmen much more, so too do England
trust franchises. Both Archer and Stokes were cleared to travel to India
for the 2023 season, and the ECB has managed their injuries with their
respective franchises throughout this campaign; Rob Key, the managing
director of men's cricket, believes the competition is "only good" for
players to be involved in.

Perhaps the most influential Englishman in the IPL is among the least
heralded. Vikram Solanki left his role as Surrey's head coach 16 months
ago to become Titans' director of cricket: in their first season, Titans
won the IPL; in their second, they are the league's pace-setters.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Welcome to the IPL, England-style

<5c4bad17-6a32-4161-930d-7a72d7fda710n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26537&group=uk.sport.cricket#26537

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 05:39:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Welcome to the IPL, England-style
From: anywhere156@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Sun, 14 May 2023 12:39 UTC

<b2e9f788-cacf-4274-bd6f-9df76e393248n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26539&group=uk.sport.cricket#26539

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 06:11:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: najeebybo@gmail.com (Najeeb ybo)
 by: Najeeb ybo - Sun, 14 May 2023 13:11 UTC

On Sunday, 14 May 2023 at 13:39:44 UTC+1, Robert Henderson wrote:
> [...]
> > for the 2023 season, and the ECB has managed their injuries with their
> > respective franchises throughout this campaign; Rob Key, the managing
> > director of men's cricket, believes the competition is "only good" for
> > players to be involved in.
> >
> > Perhaps the most influential Englishman in the IPL is among the least
> > heralded. Vikram Solanki left his role as Surrey's head coach 16 months
> > ago to become Titans' director of cricket: in their first season, Titans
> > won the IPL; in their second, they are the league's pace-setters.
> >
> > Solanki personifies the shift in English cricket's relationship with the
> > IPL. Once, England were laggards in T20 cricket; now, they have ever
> > more influence at the format's cutting edge.
> Translation: gross bad behaviour and selfishness by the Indian Board. The MCC has spent the years since the nineteenth century promoting cricket worldwide.

and now the IPL is promoting the players.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Welcome to the IPL, England-style

<8d2fade5-9828-4e1b-95be-57efeb098dfan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26543&group=uk.sport.cricket#26543

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 00:38:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere156@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Mon, 15 May 2023 07:38 UTC

<a7d6099d-8289-4e4d-b0b6-c278ec738d5bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26544&group=uk.sport.cricket#26544

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 01:55:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: najeebybo@gmail.com (Najeeb ybo)
 by: Najeeb ybo - Mon, 15 May 2023 08:55 UTC

On Monday, 15 May 2023 at 08:38:12 UTC+1, Robert Henderson wrote:
> On Sunday, May 14, 2023 at 2:11:03 PM UTC+1, Najeeb ybo wrote:

> > > Translation: gross bad behaviour and selfishness by the Indian Board. The MCC has spent the years since the nineteenth century promoting cricket worldwide.
> > >
> > > RH
> > >

> > and now the IPL is promoting the players.
> To play in the subcontinent ...NEXT! RH

Yes we all knew that. The clue is in the name and it's promoting cricket where the greatest number of cricket fans are.
England T20 has been the worst managed event in cricket. ECB couldn't manage a market stall.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Welcome to the IPL, England-style

<a11d2660-e494-49fb-8fd3-f805ba000385n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26545&group=uk.sport.cricket#26545

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 02:15:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere156@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Mon, 15 May 2023 09:15 UTC

<f1b4a3cd-44d9-4764-b56f-59ee9e2d3e43n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26546&group=uk.sport.cricket#26546

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 08:06:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: najeebybo@gmail.com (Najeeb ybo)
 by: Najeeb ybo - Mon, 15 May 2023 15:06 UTC

On Monday, 15 May 2023 at 10:15:52 UTC+1, Robert Henderson wrote:
> On Monday, May 15, 2023 at 9:55:26 AM UTC+1, Najeeb ybo wrote:

> > > To play in the subcontinent ...NEXT! RH
> > >

> > Yes we all knew that. The clue is in the name and it's promoting cricket where the greatest number of cricket fans are.
> > England T20 has been the worst managed event in cricket. ECB couldn't manage a market stall.
>

> Translation: the Indian board of control has be behaving disgracefully .....RH

Oh dear Karen Henderson what has outraged you now?
What behaviour exactly is disgraceful?
What is selfish about the IPL?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Welcome to the IPL, England-style

<2d78c1fa-cf2b-4656-bbf6-a6695b67feedn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26547&group=uk.sport.cricket#26547

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 10:03:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere156@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Mon, 15 May 2023 17:03 UTC

<b0fa3337-1bf4-4961-aac2-90c37aa29baan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26549&group=uk.sport.cricket#26549

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 10:15:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: najeebybo@gmail.com (Najeeb ybo)
 by: Najeeb ybo - Mon, 15 May 2023 17:15 UTC

On Monday, 15 May 2023 at 18:03:17 UTC+1, Robert Henderson wrote:
> On Monday, May 15, 2023 at 4:07:02 PM UTC+1, Najeeb ybo wrote:

> > > Translation: the Indian board of control has be behaving disgracefully ....RH
> > >

> > Oh dear Karen Henderson what has outraged you now?
> "The patient is making itself look hideously stupid, doctor..." RH
> > What behaviour exactly is disgraceful?
> > What is selfish about the IPL?
> SIGH. India is doing what it wants without regard for any other cricket playing country. England has done the exact opposite for at least 120 years .... RH ..

What exactly is India doing that outrages you so much Karen?
If we knew what India was doing then we might be able to know what the exact opposite is.
Have another go at explaining your hissy fit Karen.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Welcome to the IPL, England-style

<3eb8c2c8-202d-4657-b6ac-565af4082d5fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26552&group=uk.sport.cricket#26552

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 00:08:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere156@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Tue, 16 May 2023 07:08 UTC

<0jd66i934fdrkcgs77ftuvu5uktfj4cenl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26554&group=uk.sport.cricket#26554

From: spam@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 10:28:36 +0100
References: <5c4bad17-6a32-4161-930d-7a72d7fda710n@googlegroups.com> <b2e9f788-cacf-4274-bd6f-9df76e393248n@googlegroups.com> <8d2fade5-9828-4e1b-95be-57efeb098dfan@googlegroups.com> <a7d6099d-8289-4e4d-b0b6-c278ec738d5bn@googlegroups.com> <a11d2660-e494-49fb-8fd3-f805ba000385n@googlegroups.com> <f1b4a3cd-44d9-4764-b56f-59ee9e2d3e43n@googlegroups.com> <2d78c1fa-cf2b-4656-bbf6-a6695b67feedn@googlegroups.com> <b0fa3337-1bf4-4961-aac2-90c37aa29baan@googlegroups.com>
 by: Mike Holmans - Tue, 16 May 2023 09:28 UTC

On Mon, 15 May 2023 10:15:35 -0700 (PDT), Najeeb ybo
<najeebybo@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Oh dear Karen Henderson what has outraged you now?
>> "The patient is making itself look hideously stupid, doctor..." RH
>> > What behaviour exactly is disgraceful?
>> > What is selfish about the IPL?
>> SIGH. India is doing what it wants without regard for any other cricket playing country. England has done the exact opposite for at least 120 years ... RH ..
>>

>What exactly is India doing that outrages you so much Karen?
>If we knew what India was doing then we might be able to know what the exact opposite is.
>Have another go at explaining your hissy fit Karen.

I don't quite understand why what the IPL does means that the BCCI
have behaved disgracefully. Indian law prevents the BCCI from
declaring anyone who does play in the IPL to be ineligible for
selection matches arranged under the auspices of the BCCI. So if a
bunch of rich people get together and decide to set up a T20
competition using lots of Indian players and about a third as many
foreigners and have the working capital to pay the salaries before the
TV money and gate money start coming in and politely ask the BCCI when
would it cause them least inconvenience for them to run it given the
need for Indian players to play international matches, all the BCCI
are really able to do is look at the calendar and say when the
domestic season is effectively over.

As to his nonsensical complaint that the horribly woke MCC has been
promoting the worldwide development of the game since well before the
160 years he pretends to remember and the IPL is somehow going to
supplant them as the something something blah, the IPL is parasitic
and isn't going to do what MCC does, which is detect places which want
to play cricket, give them equipment and some coaching and send a team
of Playing Members who are good enough to win the matches but probably
not strong enough to humiliate the hosts. Their help in getting
Afghanistan from a pool of 40 enthusiasts who could only play against
each other to being a seriously dangerous white ball team and a
non-embarrassing Test team (if not all that good) in about 30 years
was a magnificent success. Because MCC did its bit, the IPL parasite
acquired another hunting ground.

This year's IPL consists of 94 matches, up from about 75. I think
they've made a mistake there, because it's got boring. My American
friends whom I've turned into cricket addicts have been wondering how
much longer this bloody thing will last. They preferred last year's
format, as do I. The matches are usually pretty good, but they begin
to resemble alexadrines, which Pope memorably described as "That, like
a wounded snake, drags its slow length along".

Village idiot Karen certainly does need to explain what he means by
"India" and then show why they are responsible for whatever he's
decided to add to his lists of things to complain about because
cricket is no longer as it was before 1963.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Welcome to the IPL, England-style

<pD2y+oAKG1YkFw+1@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26555&group=uk.sport.cricket#26555

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 10:48:58 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 16 May 2023 09:48 UTC

In message <0jd66i934fdrkcgs77ftuvu5uktfj4cenl@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
<spam@jackalope.uk> writes
<snip>
>This year's IPL consists of 94 matches, up from about 75. I think
>they've made a mistake there, because it's got boring. My American
>friends whom I've turned into cricket addicts have been wondering how
>much longer this bloody thing will last. They preferred last year's
>format, as do I. The matches are usually pretty good, but they begin to
>resemble alexadrines, which Pope memorably described as "That, like a
>wounded snake, drags its slow length along".

Alexander rather than Ollie, presumably?
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed

Re: Welcome to the IPL, England-style

<npt66i9ub6kfjf4754e5qa7e14ac6teku8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26556&group=uk.sport.cricket#26556

From: spam@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 13:31:31 +0100
References: <8d2fade5-9828-4e1b-95be-57efeb098dfan@googlegroups.com> <a7d6099d-8289-4e4d-b0b6-c278ec738d5bn@googlegroups.com> <a11d2660-e494-49fb-8fd3-f805ba000385n@googlegroups.com> <f1b4a3cd-44d9-4764-b56f-59ee9e2d3e43n@googlegroups.com> <2d78c1fa-cf2b-4656-bbf6-a6695b67feedn@googlegroups.com> <b0fa3337-1bf4-4961-aac2-90c37aa29baan@googlegroups.com> <0jd66i934fdrkcgs77ftuvu5uktfj4cenl@4ax.com> <pD2y+oAKG1YkFw+1@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
 by: Mike Holmans - Tue, 16 May 2023 12:31 UTC

On Tue, 16 May 2023 10:48:58 +0100, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <0jd66i934fdrkcgs77ftuvu5uktfj4cenl@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
><spam@jackalope.uk> writes
><snip>
>>This year's IPL consists of 94 matches, up from about 75. I think
>>they've made a mistake there, because it's got boring. My American
>>friends whom I've turned into cricket addicts have been wondering how
>>much longer this bloody thing will last. They preferred last year's
>>format, as do I. The matches are usually pretty good, but they begin to
>>resemble alexadrines, which Pope memorably described as "That, like a
>>wounded snake, drags its slow length along".
>
>Alexander rather than Ollie, presumably?

Indeed. I doubt Ollie even knows what an iambic hexameter is, let
alone the techincal term for it.

Cheers,

Mike