Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 01:02:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The absolute censoring of me after Is it in the blood
From: anywhere156@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 08:02 UTC

http://www.cricketweb.net/racial-slur-or-misunderstanding/

Henderson badly wanted to respond to the criticism to which he was being subjected, but the decision was made – not by Frith, although he had to communicate it to Henderson – that this was not going to happen. Frith had been the driving force behind the creation of Wisden Cricket Monthly in 1979 and took his journalistic responsibilities seriously. He was well aware of the laws of libel and the need to avoid coming into conflict with them and at the same time, as with all journalists, jealously guarded the right of his profession to freedom of expression. Some of the more outraged commentators at the time seemed to assume that Henderson’s views mirrored Frith’s own despite Frith repeatedly saying otherwise and drawing attention to the statement in each copy of the magazine that the views of individual contributors should not be taken as expressing the views of himself and/or the magazine’s editorial board. That said Frith did feel it was his duty to examine a subject that was being discussed almost everywhere he went in the cricket world.

RH