By perseverance the snail reached the Ark. -- Charles Spurgeon

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?

SubjectAuthor
* Am I old-fashioned, or what?RustyHinge
+* Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?Peter
|`* Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?James Heaton
| +- Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?RustyHinge
| +* Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?Nicholas D. Richards
| |`* Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?John Williamson
| | `- Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?Don Stockbauer
| `- Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?Mike Fleming
+* Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?Richard Robinson
|`- Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?John Williamson
+* Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
|`- Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?Peter
`- Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?Brian Gaff

1
Am I old-fashioned, or what?

<ude97n$3bbuu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26574&group=uk.rec.sheds#26574

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Am I old-fashioned, or what?
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 05:51:01 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 04:51 UTC

Staying with rellies yearsandyearsago I discovered Wilkinson's (Wilco)
and liked it. Chuffed when a branch opened in that Naaardge and used it
a lot, usually having a late bearkfest in their caff before doing owt
else. They moved into the vacant ex-Co-Op building, where I'd often
bearkfested in the past, and was happy with the continuity.

Their model of business has been panned by commentators for following an
old-fashioned business plan. I liked the aethos, and I always found the
prices reasonable if not spectacular, and the choice of products
satisfactory.

So why is no-one interested in taking it over?

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?

<XnsB0796AE1CFAA9Factura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26581&group=uk.rec.sheds#26581

From: myshed@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 09:30:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 09:30 UTC

RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in news:ude97n$3bbuu$1
@dont-email.me:

> Staying with rellies yearsandyearsago I discovered Wilkinson's (Wilco)
> and liked it. Chuffed when a branch opened in that Naaardge and used it
> a lot, usually having a late bearkfest in their caff before doing owt
> else. They moved into the vacant ex-Co-Op building, where I'd often
> bearkfested in the past, and was happy with the continuity.
>
> Their model of business has been panned by commentators for following an
> old-fashioned business plan. I liked the aethos, and I always found the
> prices reasonable if not spectacular, and the choice of products
> satisfactory.
>
> So why is no-one interested in taking it over?

It doesn't molish enough zbarl for the rich kids in the city.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?

<km0jhrFpsucU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26586&group=uk.rec.sheds#26586

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 13:48:58 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 12:48 UTC

On 08/09/2023 11:59, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> Yet again we hear about the rates causing major financial problems. On a
> city centre property how do rates compare to real world rents?
>
> Rates essentially buy you the infrastructure and services that allow
> you to do business. Business rents essentially just pay dividends to
> the owners.

Or, in many cases, the owners of the landlords' banks.

In cases where I've been involved, the business rates and the rent are
not too far apart, and business rates get assessed regularly, unlike the
council tax.

If you want to do business on the High Street, you need either very good
margins or the tax basis of a charity. You know the area's really on its
way down when the charity shops and the coffee shops start moving out.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?

<7620d856-6f05-4546-871a-b1b6c65d7186n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26587&group=uk.rec.sheds#26587

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 06:42:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstockbauer@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 13:42 UTC

On Friday, September 8, 2023 at 7:49:02 AM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
> On 08/09/2023 11:59, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:
> > Yet again we hear about the rates causing major financial problems. On a
> > city centre property how do rates compare to real world rents?
> >
> > Rates essentially buy you the infrastructure and services that allow
> > you to do business. Business rents essentially just pay dividends to
> > the owners.
> >
> Or, in many cases, the owners of the landlords' banks.
>
> In cases where I've been involved, the business rates and the rent are
> not too far apart, and business rates get assessed regularly, unlike the
> council tax.
>
> If you want to do business on the High Street, you need either very good
> margins or the tax basis of a charity. You know the area's really on its
> way down when the charity shops and the coffee shops start moving out.
> --
> Tciao for Now!
>
> John.

Man, that unhinged guy complains about Google groups, which, as far as I can see y'all understand perfectly because y'all give me cognizant feedback concerning my Google groups input into your system, but what I am notice is the guy I can't spell worth a crap. What is this? I mean pot calling kettle black y'all have a nice day.

Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?

<udf8rn$3fpis$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26589&group=uk.rec.sheds#26589

From: richard@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 13:50:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 13:50 UTC

RustyHinge said:
> Staying with rellies yearsandyearsago I discovered Wilkinson's (Wilco)
> and liked it. Chuffed when a branch opened in that Naaardge and used it
> a lot, usually having a late bearkfest in their caff before doing owt
> else. They moved into the vacant ex-Co-Op building, where I'd often
> bearkfested in the past, and was happy with the continuity.
>
> Their model of business has been panned by commentators for following an
> old-fashioned business plan. I liked the aethos, and I always found the
> prices reasonable if not spectacular, and the choice of products
> satisfactory.
>
> So why is no-one interested in taking it over?

The news I heard made it sound like theybuggrem are convinced nobody
wants to walk to the shops, everybody wants to have to drive to an
out-of-town "retail outlet".

It's very sad. When I moved here ('97) this town had 2 independent
high-street ironmongers + B&Q + Wilko. B&W outpriced the independents,
then closed itself, and now Wilkos is all empty shelves and Everything
Must Go, and there's nowhere that doesn't need wheels except a screwfix,
where I have to ask what they've got.

inSanesbury's will probably do well out of the kitchen & cleaning sides
of it, but Wilkos were better at that too.

More little bitd of everyday ohfvarff that have just become more
inconvenient without a car.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?

<udf8se$3fpnq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26590&group=uk.rec.sheds#26590

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 14:51:08 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 13:51 UTC

On 08/09/2023 11:47, James Heaton wrote:
> On 08/09/2023 10:30, Peter wrote:
>> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in
>> @dont-email.me:
>>
>>> Staying with rellies yearsandyearsago I discovered Wilkinson's (Wilco)
>>> and liked it. Chuffed when  a branch opened in that Naaardge and used it
>>> a lot, usually having a late bearkfest in their caff before doing owt
>>> else. They moved into the vacant ex-Co-Op building, where I'd often
>>> bearkfested in the past, and was happy with the continuity.
>>>
>>> Their model of business has been panned by commentators for following an
>>> old-fashioned business plan. I liked the aethos, and I always found the
>>> prices reasonable if not spectacular, and the choice of products
>>> satisfactory.
>>>
>>> So why is no-one interested in taking it over?
>>
>> It doesn't molish enough zbarl for the rich kids in the city.
>
> Too many low profit margin items, in town centre sites with high rent
> and rates.  Too much competition from B&M and the like.
>
> It's woolies all over again.
>
> Inceidentally Rusty, where were they in Nch before the old co-op site? I
> always preferred BHS breakfasts!

They weren't in that Naaardge at all AFAIK. Another bearkfestsite I used
to frequent was the caff in Wrights court at the Tombland end of Elm
Hill, It was run by a couple of blokes and later by Nikki. After Nikki
sold-up I moved to another caff at the junction of Elm Hill and
Tombland,Olive's I goove, who would produce a Full English Vastly
Augmented Bearkfest With All The Trimmings.

Sometimes used Tea Junction in Castle Mall and several of others - one
at the top of Elm Hill, and occasionally the Britons Arms on the crook
where Elm hill takes a sharp left - or sharp right - depending whether
you're going up or down.

Often used to get something in Greggs, St Stephens St and Anglia Square.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?

<20230908155413.3d0bd5bf26bf230e3027c037@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26593&group=uk.rec.sheds#26593

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 15:54:13 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 14:54 UTC

On Fri, 8 Sep 2023 05:51:01 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> Staying with rellies yearsandyearsago I discovered Wilkinson's (Wilco)
> and liked it. Chuffed when a branch opened in that Naaardge and used it
> a lot, usually having a late bearkfest in their caff before doing owt
> else. They moved into the vacant ex-Co-Op building, where I'd often
> bearkfested in the past, and was happy with the continuity.

Hmm if Wilco is old fashioned then what about the fambly owned
hardware siop in Ballyduff who have only let me down by not having what I
was looking for a couple of times in the last fifteen years! I've even been
sent there from trade siops in Tralee when they didn't have what I was
looking for in stock (a J hook) - she did! A wonderful place where you can
go in with a problem (I need to connect this to that) and walk out with a
solution.

There are nearly always contractors vans parked outside while she's
open.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?

<km0rg2Fr4j3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26594&group=uk.rec.sheds#26594

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 16:04:33 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 15:04 UTC

On 08/09/2023 14:50, Richard Robinson wrote:
> RustyHinge said:
<Wilkinsons>
>> So why is no-one interested in taking it over?
>
> The news I heard made it sound like theybuggrem are convinced nobody
> wants to walk to the shops, everybody wants to have to drive to an
> out-of-town "retail outlet".

Unfortunately, recent history shows them to be correct. If I just need a
loaf, I walk the few hundred yards to my local inconvenience store. If I
need more, I have the choice of driving into the nearest town centre,
paying an exorbitant amount for parking and walking a mile ir more to
reach all the shops I want, or driving the same distance in a different
direction, parking for free and having everything within a few hundred
yards.

This and Wilkos moving in was a main reason that Woolies are no lomger
trading in the UK.

When I worked there, Woolies was the only source for a lot of stuff, and
the cheapest for even more stuff, but when they opened the first
superstore in the town (Well after I left), their trade fell off
drastically.

The only reason I visit my nearest town centre now is for the market,
which is the best in the area, and even then, the fact it's the only
town centre within range that has free parking helps.

> inSanesbury's will probably do well out of the kitchen & cleaning sides
> of it, but Wilkos were better at that too.
>
> More little bitd of everyday ohfvarff that have just become more
> inconvenient without a car.

If Wilkos had taken space on the retail parks a few years ago, they
would probably still be in business, but their main competition now is
places like B&M and Poundland, who are beginning to expand their ranges
into the Wilko area, but at lower prices. Poundland can no longer
justify their original claim "You don't need to ask the price"

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?

<XnsB079BCB4A1B5DFactura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26600&group=uk.rec.sheds#26600

From: myshed@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 17:33:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 17:33 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote in

> On Fri, 8 Sep 2023 05:51:01 +0100
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Staying with rellies yearsandyearsago I discovered Wilkinson's
>> (Wilco) and liked it. Chuffed when a branch opened in that Naaardge
>> and used it a lot, usually having a late bearkfest in their caff
>> before doing owt else. They moved into the vacant ex-Co-Op building,
>> where I'd often bearkfested in the past, and was happy with the
>> continuity.
>
> Hmm if Wilco is old fashioned then what about the fambly owned
> hardware siop in Ballyduff who have only let me down by not having
> what I was looking for a couple of times in the last fifteen years!
> I've even been sent there from trade siops in Tralee when they didn't
> have what I was looking for in stock (a J hook) - she did! A wonderful
> place where you can go in with a problem (I need to connect this to
> that) and walk out with a solution.

Until recently we had simlar. A wonderful old-fashioned hardware store that
sold everything. It was fambly owned and in the 40 years I've lived here it
was passed down through a several of generations. But the owner
(granddaughter of the chap who owned it when we arrived) wanted to do other
theings and it closed down a couple of years ago. Tragedy.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?

<udhmva$2b3a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26612&group=uk.rec.sheds#26612

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 13:03:51 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 12:03 UTC

I think internet shopping is the reason.
They have got far too many stores and the rates bills have gone through the
roof since government cut funds to local authorities and told them they
could keep all the business rates instead, so of course they have gone up
unless you are a short lease charity shop.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"RustyHinge" <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in message
> Staying with rellies yearsandyearsago I discovered Wilkinson's (Wilco) and
> liked it. Chuffed when a branch opened in that Naaardge and used it a
> lot, usually having a late bearkfest in their caff before doing owt else.
> They moved into the vacant ex-Co-Op building, where I'd often bearkfested
> in the past, and was happy with the continuity.
>
> Their model of business has been panned by commentators for following an
> old-fashioned business plan. I liked the aethos, and I always found the
> prices reasonable if not spectacular, and the choice of products
> satisfactory.
>
> So why is no-one interested in taking it over?
>
> --
> Rusty Hinge
> To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer and the
> BOFH.

Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?

<udeu4s$3e5bj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26622&group=uk.rec.sheds#26622

From: heatonandmoore@gmail.com (James Heaton)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 11:47:56 +0100
 by: James Heaton - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 10:47 UTC

On 08/09/2023 10:30, Peter wrote:
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in news:ude97n$3bbuu$1
> @dont-email.me:
>
>> Staying with rellies yearsandyearsago I discovered Wilkinson's (Wilco)
>> and liked it. Chuffed when a branch opened in that Naaardge and used it
>> a lot, usually having a late bearkfest in their caff before doing owt
>> else. They moved into the vacant ex-Co-Op building, where I'd often
>> bearkfested in the past, and was happy with the continuity.
>>
>> Their model of business has been panned by commentators for following an
>> old-fashioned business plan. I liked the aethos, and I always found the
>> prices reasonable if not spectacular, and the choice of products
>> satisfactory.
>>
>> So why is no-one interested in taking it over?
>
> It doesn't molish enough zbarl for the rich kids in the city.

Too many low profit margin items, in town centre sites with high rent
and rates. Too much competition from B&M and the like.

It's woolies all over again.

Inceidentally Rusty, where were they in Nch before the old co-op site?
I always preferred BHS breakfasts!

James

Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?

<6XQxNUAf6v+kFAck@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26624&group=uk.rec.sheds#26624

From: nicholas@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 11:59:43 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 10:59 UTC

In article <udeu4s$3e5bj$1@dont-email.me>, James Heaton
<heatonandmoore@gmail.com> on Fri, 8 Sep 2023 at 11:47:56 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On 08/09/2023 10:30, Peter wrote:
>> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in news:ude97n$3bbuu$1
>> @dont-email.me:
>>
>>> Staying with rellies yearsandyearsago I discovered Wilkinson's (Wilco)
>>> and liked it. Chuffed when a branch opened in that Naaardge and used it
>>> a lot, usually having a late bearkfest in their caff before doing owt
>>> else. They moved into the vacant ex-Co-Op building, where I'd often
>>> bearkfested in the past, and was happy with the continuity.
>>>
>>> Their model of business has been panned by commentators for following an
>>> old-fashioned business plan. I liked the aethos, and I always found the
>>> prices reasonable if not spectacular, and the choice of products
>>> satisfactory.
>>>
>>> So why is no-one interested in taking it over?
>>
>> It doesn't molish enough zbarl for the rich kids in the city.
>
>Too many low profit margin items, in town centre sites with high rent
>and rates. Too much competition from B&M and the like.

Yet again we hear about the rates causing major financial problems. On a
city centre property how do rates compare to real world rents?

Rates essentially buy you the infrastructure and services that allow
you to do business. Business rents essentially just pay dividends to
the owners.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?

<kmkeqjF1kc2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26869&group=uk.rec.sheds#26869

From: mike@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 02:30:56 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 01:30 UTC

On 08/09/2023 11:47, James Heaton wrote:
> On 08/09/2023 10:30, Peter wrote:
>> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in
>> @dont-email.me:
>>
>>> Staying with rellies yearsandyearsago I discovered Wilkinson's (Wilco)
>>> and liked it. Chuffed when  a branch opened in that Naaardge and used it
>>> a lot, usually having a late bearkfest in their caff before doing owt
>>> else. They moved into the vacant ex-Co-Op building, where I'd often
>>> bearkfested in the past, and was happy with the continuity.
>>>
>>> Their model of business has been panned by commentators for following an
>>> old-fashioned business plan. I liked the aethos, and I always found the
>>> prices reasonable if not spectacular, and the choice of products
>>> satisfactory.
>>>
>>> So why is no-one interested in taking it over?
>>
>> It doesn't molish enough zbarl for the rich kids in the city.
>
> Too many low profit margin items, in town centre sites with high rent
> and rates.  Too much competition from B&M and the like.

Too much debt to suppliers, too much money taken out as divvies by the
owners.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Am I old-fashioned, or what?