From: pwllgloyw@gmail.com (Polly@golly)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Broad Beans
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 10:20:44 +0100
 by: Polly@golly - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 09:20 UTC

Having been away for a week or so, returned home to find my broad beans
covered in a redish brown powder(?), and black patches on the beans
pods. No idea what this is, never seen it before. Had an attack of black
fly early on, which I sprayed as usual, then a good crop and THIS!

Any ideas? Beans themselves seen OK, but as the plants die, I don't want
to compost them if they are going to carry something into the next crops.

Re: Broad Beans

<ubqam3$pn5k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2738&group=uk.rec.gardening#2738

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Broad Beans
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 12:56:50 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 11:56 UTC

On 19/08/2023 10:20, Polly@golly wrote:
> Having been away for a week or so, returned home to find my broad beans
> covered in a redish brown powder(?), and black patches on the beans
> pods. No idea what this is, never seen it before. Had an attack of black
> fly early on, which I sprayed as usual, then a good crop and THIS!
>
> Any ideas? Beans themselves seen OK, but as the plants die, I don't want
> to compost them if they are going to carry something into the next crops.

Rust.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Broad Beans

<ubqb3q$ppa1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2739&group=uk.rec.gardening#2739

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 13:04:10 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 12:04 UTC

On 19/08/2023 12:56, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 19/08/2023 10:20, Polly@golly wrote:
>> Having been away for a week or so, returned home to find my broad
>> beans covered in a redish brown powder(?), and black patches on the
>> beans pods. No idea what this is, never seen it before. Had an attack
>> of black fly early on, which I sprayed as usual, then a good crop and
>> THIS!
>>
>> Any ideas? Beans themselves seen OK, but as the plants die, I don't
>> want to compost them if they are going to carry something into the
>> next crops.
>
> Rust.

Rust never sleeps...

....IGMC!

Re: Broad Beans

<ubv84m$1r032$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2741&group=uk.rec.gardening#2741

From: nmm@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 08:44:06 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: nmm@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 08:44 UTC

In article <ubq1hb$oct2$1@dont-email.me>,
Polly@golly <pwllgloyw@gmail.com> wrote:
>Having been away for a week or so, returned home to find my broad beans
>covered in a redish brown powder(?), and black patches on the beans
>pods. No idea what this is, never seen it before. Had an attack of black
>fly early on, which I sprayed as usual, then a good crop and THIS!
>
>Any ideas? Beans themselves seen OK, but as the plants die, I don't want
>to compost them if they are going to carry something into the next crops.

Don't worry. As Rusty Hinge says, it's rust. If it hits early and
hard, it can destroy the crop, but that has happened to me only once
in 45 years. It's almost entirely weather-dependent, and the spores
are ubiquitous, so don't worry about composting.

On another matter, how on earth do you have broad beans so late, or
are you growing them for ripe beans?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: Broad Beans

<uc0huc$21tc4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2746&group=uk.rec.gardening#2746

From: pwllgloyw@gmail.com (Polly@golly)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 21:37:32 +0100
 by: Polly@golly - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 20:37 UTC

On 21/08/2023 09:44, Nick Maclaren wrote:
> In article <ubq1hb$oct2$1@dont-email.me>,
> Polly@golly <pwllgloyw@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Having been away for a week or so, returned home to find my broad beans
>> covered in a redish brown powder(?), and black patches on the beans
>> pods. No idea what this is, never seen it before. Had an attack of black
>> fly early on, which I sprayed as usual, then a good crop and THIS!
>>
>> Any ideas? Beans themselves seen OK, but as the plants die, I don't want
>> to compost them if they are going to carry something into the next crops.
>

> Don't worry. As Rusty Hinge says, it's rust. If it hits early and
> hard, it can destroy the crop, but that has happened to me only once
> in 45 years. It's almost entirely weather-dependent, and the spores
> are ubiquitous, so don't worry about composting.
>
> On another matter, how on earth do you have broad beans so late, or
> are you growing them for ripe beans?
>

> Regards,
> Nick Maclaren.

On the other matter!

The seeds are old and were found at the botom of the drawer, and were
planted quite late, not really expecting them the germinate very well.
However they have done quite well and there are still a few swelling up
nicely despite the rust.

Must admit, when I saw Rusty's reply I just thought he was being a bit
checky and was about to make a cheeky/stupid reply! Glad I decided to
look it up first, so thanks Rusty :)

Re: Broad Beans

<uc0n69$22pcn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2748&group=uk.rec.gardening#2748

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 23:07:04 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 22:07 UTC

On 21/08/2023 21:37, Polly@golly wrote:
> On 21/08/2023 09:44, Nick Maclaren wrote:
>> In article <ubq1hb$oct2$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Polly@golly <pwllgloyw@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Having been away for a week or so, returned home to find my broad beans
>>> covered in a redish brown powder(?), and black patches on the beans
>>> pods. No idea what this is, never seen it before. Had an attack of black
>>> fly early on, which I sprayed as usual, then a good crop and THIS!
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Beans themselves seen OK, but as the plants die, I don't want
>>> to compost them if they are going to carry something into the next
>>> crops.
>>

>> Don't worry.  As Rusty Hinge says, it's rust.  If it hits early and
>> hard, it can destroy the crop, but that has happened to me only once
>> in 45 years.  It's almost entirely weather-dependent, and the spores
>> are ubiquitous, so don't worry about composting.
>>
>> On another matter, how on earth do you have broad beans so late, or
>> are you growing them for ripe beans?
>>

>> Regards,
>> Nick Maclaren.
>
> On the other matter!
>
> The seeds are old and were found at the botom of the drawer, and were
> planted quite late, not really expecting them the germinate very well.
> However they have done quite well and there are still a few swelling up
> nicely despite the rust.
>
> Must admit, when I saw Rusty's reply I just thought he was being a bit
> checky and was about to make a cheeky/stupid reply! Glad I decided to
> look it up first, so thanks Rusty :)

You're welcome - the only rust problem I've had was cured with WD40, so
I couldn't offer you any advice on what to *do* about it.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Broad Beans

<udeju1$3cn30$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2767&group=uk.rec.gardening#2767

From: diverse@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 08:53:36 +0100
 by: N_Cook - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 07:53 UTC

I tried 30 or so of this years shaking and seed retrieval.
Only 2 germinated and instead of the bright lime green of the
germinations from last years seeds, dull green , slow growing and may be
turning grey, perhaps like last year (qv). Nothing to do with lack of
heat . I'll try putting some seeds in the nonfreezing section of the
fridge , to see if they need a rest/cool period , for proper germination.
A few more echium sites in 2023
12 River Rd, Littlehampton
Houseboats at Pettinger Gardens, Southampton
Corner Kent Rd/ Ashburton Rd, Southsea
Opposite S Parade Pier along Clarebdon Rd,Southsea
Southsea Green community garden

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>

Re: Broad Beans

<udek0j$3cn30$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2768&group=uk.rec.gardening#2768

From: diverse@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 08:55:00 +0100
 by: N_Cook - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 07:55 UTC

On 08/09/2023 08:53, N_Cook wrote:
> I tried 30 or so of this years shaking and seed retrieval.
> Only 2 germinated and instead of the bright lime green of the
> germinations from last years seeds, dull green , slow growing and may be
> turning grey, perhaps like last year (qv). Nothing to do with lack of
> heat . I'll try putting some seeds in the nonfreezing section of the
> fridge , to see if they need a rest/cool period , for proper germination.
> A few more echium sites in 2023
> 12 River Rd, Littlehampton
> Houseboats at Pettinger Gardens, Southampton
> Corner Kent Rd/ Ashburton Rd, Southsea
> Opposite S Parade Pier along Clarebdon Rd,Southsea
> Southsea Green community garden

ignore, TB farting about