He walks as if balancing the family tree on his nose.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Escape

SubjectAuthor
* EscapeTone
+* Re: EscapeTim+
|`* Re: Escapechrisnd@privacy.net
| `- Re: EscapeRustyHinge
+- Re: EscapeBrian Gaff
+* Re: EscapeSn!pe
|+- Re: EscapeNicholas D. Richards
|`- Re: EscapeTone
+- Re: Escapehubops
+* Re: EscapeAhem A Rivet's Shot
|`* Re: EscapeSam Plusnet
| `- Re: EscapeTone
`- Re: Escapesoup

1
Escape

<ufiiqr$3vf7n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27543&group=uk.rec.sheds#27543

From: tone@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Escape
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 03:31:55 +0100
 by: Tone - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 02:31 UTC

A retired lorry driver friend of mine from Knaresborough, Bob Frendt,
has driven to the town of Volodymyr in Ukraine seven times in his own
lorry since Putin’s attacks, with medical supplies for their local
hospital. The last time he went there, earlier this year, the mayor
asked him if he could get hold of a second-hand fire engine. “Oh yes!”
he replied, “We’ve all got one of them in the back garden! Why do you
need it?” The mayor explained that Kyiv had taken theirs away.

When you see those newsreel shots of high rise blocks that have been hit
by missiles or drones, it is probable that anyone above the hit zone
would have perished in the ensuing fire if the staircase was taken out.
There are no lifts or fire escapes in those buildings. Their only choice
from upper stories is to jump or burn.

We have been holding benefit concerts to raise money for this, but it is
a very slow process. So, I made a substantial (anonymous to most)
donation towards the fund. I felt that this is how Mum would want her
money spent. Consequently a fire engine with a six storey escape ladder
has been purchased, and another one donated! The first will leave for
Ukraine in mid October.

The cab is sign-written, ‘Joyce’ in her memory.

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAXgVu

Tone

Re: Escape

<1558896163.718093543.933366.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27544&group=uk.rec.sheds#27544

From: tim.downie@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Escape
Date: 4 Oct 2023 06:26:40 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 06:26 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
> A retired lorry driver friend of mine from Knaresborough, Bob Frendt,
> has driven to the town of Volodymyr in Ukraine seven times in his own
> lorry since Putin’s attacks, with medical supplies for their local
> hospital. The last time he went there, earlier this year, the mayor
> asked him if he could get hold of a second-hand fire engine. “Oh yes!”
> he replied, “We’ve all got one of them in the back garden! Why do you
> need it?” The mayor explained that Kyiv had taken theirs away.
>
> When you see those newsreel shots of high rise blocks that have been hit
> by missiles or drones, it is probable that anyone above the hit zone
> would have perished in the ensuing fire if the staircase was taken out.
> There are no lifts or fire escapes in those buildings. Their only choice
> from upper stories is to jump or burn.
>
> We have been holding benefit concerts to raise money for this, but it is
> a very slow process. So, I made a substantial (anonymous to most)
> donation towards the fund. I felt that this is how Mum would want her
> money spent. Consequently a fire engine with a six storey escape ladder
> has been purchased, and another one donated! The first will leave for
> Ukraine in mid October.
>
> The cab is sign-written, ‘Joyce’ in her memory.
>

> https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAXgVu
>
> Tone

What a marvellous thing to do!

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Escape

<ko4mobFtg6cU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27547&group=uk.rec.sheds#27547

From: chrisnd@privacy.net (chrisnd@privacy.net)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 09:40:43 +0100
 by: chrisnd@privacy.net - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 08:40 UTC

On 04/10/2023 07:26, Tim+ wrote:
> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>> A retired lorry driver friend of mine from Knaresborough, Bob Frendt,
>> has driven to the town of Volodymyr in Ukraine seven times in his own
>> lorry since Putin’s attacks, with medical supplies for their local
>> hospital. The last time he went there, earlier this year, the mayor
>> asked him if he could get hold of a second-hand fire engine. “Oh yes!”
>> he replied, “We’ve all got one of them in the back garden! Why do you
>> need it?” The mayor explained that Kyiv had taken theirs away.
>>
>> When you see those newsreel shots of high rise blocks that have been hit
>> by missiles or drones, it is probable that anyone above the hit zone
>> would have perished in the ensuing fire if the staircase was taken out.
>> There are no lifts or fire escapes in those buildings. Their only choice
>> from upper stories is to jump or burn.
>>
>> We have been holding benefit concerts to raise money for this, but it is
>> a very slow process. So, I made a substantial (anonymous to most)
>> donation towards the fund. I felt that this is how Mum would want her
>> money spent. Consequently a fire engine with a six storey escape ladder
>> has been purchased, and another one donated! The first will leave for
>> Ukraine in mid October.
>>
>> The cab is sign-written, ‘Joyce’ in her memory.
>>

>> https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAXgVu
>>
>> Tone
>>

> What a marvellous thing to do!

Absolutely!
A 'Good Thing' to do with spare cash - or in a will?

Chris

Re: Escape

<ufjcij$3kca$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27554&group=uk.rec.sheds#27554

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 10:51:14 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 09:51 UTC

On 04/10/2023 09:40, chrisnd@privacy.net wrote:
> On 04/10/2023 07:26, Tim+ wrote:
>> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>>> A retired lorry driver friend of mine from Knaresborough, Bob Frendt,
>>> has driven to the town of Volodymyr in Ukraine seven times in his own
>>> lorry since Putin’s attacks, with medical supplies for their local
>>> hospital. The last time he went there, earlier this year, the mayor
>>> asked him if he could get hold of a second-hand fire engine. “Oh yes!”
>>> he replied, “We’ve all got one of them in the back garden! Why do you
>>> need it?” The mayor explained that Kyiv had taken theirs away.
>>>
>>> When you see those newsreel shots of high rise blocks that have been hit
>>> by missiles or drones, it is probable that anyone above the hit zone
>>> would have perished in the ensuing fire if the staircase was taken out.
>>> There are no lifts or fire escapes in those buildings. Their only choice
>>> from upper stories is to jump or burn.
>>>
>>> We have been holding benefit concerts to raise money for this, but it is
>>> a very slow process. So, I made a substantial (anonymous to most)
>>> donation towards the fund. I felt that this is how Mum would want her
>>> money spent. Consequently a fire engine with a six storey escape ladder
>>> has been purchased, and another one donated! The first will leave for
>>> Ukraine in mid October.
>>>
>>> The cab is sign-written, ‘Joyce’ in her memory.
>>>

>>> https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAXgVu
>>>
>>> Tone
>>>

>> What a marvellous thing to do!
>
> Absolutely!
> A 'Good Thing' to do with spare cash - or in a will?

Ideally spare cash - 'all's will that ends will' maybe too late.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Escape

<ufjhrk$4tqe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27565&group=uk.rec.sheds#27565

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 12:21:21 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 11:21 UTC

I'm not sure that the main government of Ukraine are as well intentioned as
some portray them, so I'm all for giving the people the things they want.
Leaders often get bitter and twisted, which is unfortunately the case on
both sides of that war. Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tone" <tone@email.com> wrote in message
>A retired lorry driver friend of mine from Knaresborough, Bob Frendt, has
>driven to the town of Volodymyr in Ukraine seven times in his own lorry
>since Putin's attacks, with medical supplies for their local hospital. The
>last time he went there, earlier this year, the mayor asked him if he could
>get hold of a second-hand fire engine. "Oh yes!" he replied, "We've all got
>one of them in the back garden! Why do you need it?" The mayor explained
>that Kyiv had taken theirs away.
>
> When you see those newsreel shots of high rise blocks that have been hit
> by missiles or drones, it is probable that anyone above the hit zone would
> have perished in the ensuing fire if the staircase was taken out. There
> are no lifts or fire escapes in those buildings. Their only choice from
> upper stories is to jump or burn.
>
> We have been holding benefit concerts to raise money for this, but it is a
> very slow process. So, I made a substantial (anonymous to most) donation
> towards the fund. I felt that this is how Mum would want her money spent.
> Consequently a fire engine with a six storey escape ladder has been
> purchased, and another one donated! The first will leave for Ukraine in
> mid October.
>
> The cab is sign-written, 'Joyce' in her memory.
>

> https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAXgVu
>
> Tone

Re: Escape

<1qi2x1i.1lvuok1i87iqeN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27570&group=uk.rec.sheds#27570

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 13:49:24 +0100
This article may be reproduced for the purposes of propagation and
personal use only, no commercial use without express permission.
 by: Sn!pe - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 12:49 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

> A retired lorry driver friend of mine from Knaresborough, Bob Frendt,
> has driven to the town of Volodymyr in Ukraine seven times in his own
> lorry since Putin's attacks, with medical supplies for their local
> hospital. The last time he went there, earlier this year, the mayor
> asked him if he could get hold of a second-hand fire engine. "Oh yes!"
> he replied, "We've all got one of them in the back garden! Why do you
> need it?" The mayor explained that Kyiv had taken theirs away.
>
> When you see those newsreel shots of high rise blocks that have been hit
> by missiles or drones, it is probable that anyone above the hit zone
> would have perished in the ensuing fire if the staircase was taken out.
> There are no lifts or fire escapes in those buildings. Their only choice
> from upper stories is to jump or burn.
>
> We have been holding benefit concerts to raise money for this, but it is
> a very slow process. So, I made a substantial (anonymous to most)
> donation towards the fund. I felt that this is how Mum would want her
> money spent. Consequently a fire engine with a six storey escape ladder
> has been purchased, and another one donated! The first will leave for
> Ukraine in mid October.
>
> The cab is sign-written, 'Joyce' in her memory.
>

> https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAXgVu
>
> Tone

[applause]

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: Escape

<bfM5PjAIWXHlFAUg@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27576&group=uk.rec.sheds#27576

From: nicholas@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 15:24:08 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 14:24 UTC

In article <1qi2x1i.1lvuok1i87iqeN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>, Sn!pe
<snipeco.2@gmail.com> on Wed, 4 Oct 2023 at 13:49:24 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>
>> A retired lorry driver friend of mine from Knaresborough, Bob Frendt,
>> has driven to the town of Volodymyr in Ukraine seven times in his own
>> lorry since Putin's attacks, with medical supplies for their local
>> hospital. The last time he went there, earlier this year, the mayor
>> asked him if he could get hold of a second-hand fire engine. "Oh yes!"
>> he replied, "We've all got one of them in the back garden! Why do you
>> need it?" The mayor explained that Kyiv had taken theirs away.
>>
>> When you see those newsreel shots of high rise blocks that have been hit
>> by missiles or drones, it is probable that anyone above the hit zone
>> would have perished in the ensuing fire if the staircase was taken out.
>> There are no lifts or fire escapes in those buildings. Their only choice
>> from upper stories is to jump or burn.
>>
>> We have been holding benefit concerts to raise money for this, but it is
>> a very slow process. So, I made a substantial (anonymous to most)
>> donation towards the fund. I felt that this is how Mum would want her
>> money spent. Consequently a fire engine with a six storey escape ladder
>> has been purchased, and another one donated! The first will leave for
>> Ukraine in mid October.
>>
>> The cab is sign-written, 'Joyce' in her memory.
>>

>> https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAXgVu
>>
>> Tone
>
>[applause]

It is a proper job. Painted bright red and yellow so Putin's Cronies (as
SWMBO calls them) can't miss it. I hope they (the Cronies) miss and
clobber their own infrastructure, again.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Escape

<ufk7bv$dp5u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27584&group=uk.rec.sheds#27584

From: tone@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 18:28:30 +0100
 by: Tone - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:28 UTC

On 04/10/2023 13:49, Sn!pe wrote:
> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>
>> A retired lorry driver friend of mine from Knaresborough, Bob Frendt,
>> has driven to the town of Volodymyr in Ukraine seven times in his own
>> lorry since Putin's attacks, with medical supplies for their local
>> hospital. The last time he went there, earlier this year, the mayor
>> asked him if he could get hold of a second-hand fire engine. "Oh yes!"
>> he replied, "We've all got one of them in the back garden! Why do you
>> need it?" The mayor explained that Kyiv had taken theirs away.
>>
>> When you see those newsreel shots of high rise blocks that have been hit
>> by missiles or drones, it is probable that anyone above the hit zone
>> would have perished in the ensuing fire if the staircase was taken out.
>> There are no lifts or fire escapes in those buildings. Their only choice
>> from upper stories is to jump or burn.
>>
>> We have been holding benefit concerts to raise money for this, but it is
>> a very slow process. So, I made a substantial (anonymous to most)
>> donation towards the fund. I felt that this is how Mum would want her
>> money spent. Consequently a fire engine with a six storey escape ladder
>> has been purchased, and another one donated! The first will leave for
>> Ukraine in mid October.
>>
>> The cab is sign-written, 'Joyce' in her memory.
>>

>> https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAXgVu
>>
>> Tone
>
> [applause]

Midday Mayhem on Thursday & Friday this week includes live sets from
Iona Lane, Maddy Morris and Plumhall, all in aid of the fire engine for
Ukraine that sat outside during their performances!
Midday on tempofm.co.uk

Tone

Re: Escape

<0lcrhi5402hd4hjt8mbtsdfl5rgf5a4grl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27586&group=uk.rec.sheds#27586

From: hubops@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 15:32:39 -0400
 by: hubops@ccanoemail.com - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 19:32 UTC

On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 03:31:55 +0100, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

>A retired lorry driver friend of mine from Knaresborough, Bob Frendt,
>has driven to the town of Volodymyr in Ukraine seven times in his own
>lorry since Putin’s attacks, with medical supplies for their local
>hospital. The last time he went there, earlier this year, the mayor
>asked him if he could get hold of a second-hand fire engine. “Oh yes!”
>he replied, “We’ve all got one of them in the back garden! Why do you
>need it?” The mayor explained that Kyiv had taken theirs away.
>
>When you see those newsreel shots of high rise blocks that have been hit
>by missiles or drones, it is probable that anyone above the hit zone
>would have perished in the ensuing fire if the staircase was taken out.
>There are no lifts or fire escapes in those buildings. Their only choice
>from upper stories is to jump or burn.
>
>We have been holding benefit concerts to raise money for this, but it is
>a very slow process. So, I made a substantial (anonymous to most)
>donation towards the fund. I felt that this is how Mum would want her
>money spent. Consequently a fire engine with a six storey escape ladder
>has been purchased, and another one donated! The first will leave for
>Ukraine in mid October.
>
>The cab is sign-written, ‘Joyce’ in her memory.
>
>https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAXgVu
>
>Tone

Good on ya, Tony ! Very good !

And kudos to all the folks & community groups involved.
Well done.
John T.

Re: Escape

<20231004212146.a44a08084398c69841906260@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27587&group=uk.rec.sheds#27587

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:21:46 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 20:21 UTC

On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 03:31:55 +0100
Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

> We have been holding benefit concerts to raise money for this, but it is
> a very slow process. So, I made a substantial (anonymous to most)
> donation towards the fund. I felt that this is how Mum would want her
> money spent. Consequently a fire engine with a six storey escape ladder
> has been purchased, and another one donated! The first will leave for
> Ukraine in mid October.
>
> The cab is sign-written, ‘Joyce’ in her memory.

Just wow - amazing.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Escape

<2umTM.6704$MJ59.4009@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27593&group=uk.rec.sheds#27593

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 00:23:41 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 23:23 UTC

On 04-Oct-23 21:21, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 03:31:55 +0100
> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>
>> We have been holding benefit concerts to raise money for this, but it is
>> a very slow process. So, I made a substantial (anonymous to most)
>> donation towards the fund. I felt that this is how Mum would want her
>> money spent. Consequently a fire engine with a six storey escape ladder
>> has been purchased, and another one donated! The first will leave for
>> Ukraine in mid October.
>>
>> The cab is sign-written, ‘Joyce’ in her memory.
>
> Just wow - amazing.

Joyce's lad dun extra good, & I bet she's laughing her head off.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Escape

<ufl1m0$jfql$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27596&group=uk.rec.sheds#27596

From: tone@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 01:57:35 +0100
 by: Tone - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 00:57 UTC

On 05/10/2023 00:23, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 04-Oct-23 21:21, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 03:31:55 +0100
>> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We have been holding benefit concerts to raise money for this, but it is
>>> a very slow process. So, I made a substantial (anonymous to most)
>>> donation towards the fund. I felt that this is how Mum would want her
>>> money spent. Consequently a fire engine with a six storey escape ladder
>>> has been purchased, and another one donated! The first will leave for
>>> Ukraine in mid October.
>>>
>>> The cab is sign-written, ‘Joyce’ in her memory.
>>
>>     Just wow - amazing.
>>
> Joyce's lad dun extra good, & I bet she's laughing her head off.

For the last three or four years of her life she spent nearly all day,
bedridden, watching the BBC News Channel. Although her short term memory
was buggered, her mind was still sharp. If you visited you had to bone
up on the news first, because she would interrogate you.

RE Johnson. "Is telling lies to Parliament an arrestable offence?"

"What do you think of this terrible man, Putin?"

"How will that war end?"

But, she would ask the same questions over and over again, having
forgotten that she had already asked them.

She abhorred what was happening in Ukraine, so I think she would be
very chuffed with 'Joyce' the fire escape.

Some of the family scattered her ashes at her favourite picnic spot on
Dunstable Downs last Sunday. I couldn't get there, but I know where her
spirit is, and it ain't on Dunstable Downs.

Tone

Re: Escape

<ufu9e0$33ir1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27723&group=uk.rec.sheds#27723

From: invalid@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 14:05:05 +0100
 by: soup - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 13:05 UTC

On 04/10/2023 03:31, Tone wrote:
> A retired lorry driver friend of mine from Knaresborough, Bob Frendt,
> has driven to the town of Volodymyr in Ukraine seven times in his own
> lorry since Putin’s attacks, with medical supplies for their local
> hospital. The last time he went there, earlier this year, the mayor
> asked him if he could get hold of a second-hand fire engine. “Oh yes!”
> he replied, “We’ve all got one of them in the back garden! Why do you
> need it?” The mayor explained that Kyiv had taken theirs away.
>
> When you see those newsreel shots of high rise blocks that have been hit
> by missiles or drones, it is probable that anyone above the hit zone
> would have perished in the ensuing fire if the staircase was taken out.
> There are no lifts or fire escapes in those buildings. Their only choice
> from upper stories is to jump or burn.
>
> We have been holding benefit concerts to raise money for this, but it is
> a very slow process. So, I made a substantial (anonymous to most)
> donation towards the fund. I felt that this is how Mum would want her
> money spent. Consequently a fire engine with a six storey escape ladder
> has been purchased, and another one donated! The first will leave for
> Ukraine in mid October.
>
> The cab is sign-written, ‘Joyce’ in her memory.
>

> https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAXgVu
>
> Tone

Weel done Cutty-sark !

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Escape