Be both a speaker of words and a doer of deeds. -- Homer

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / OT problems replying to gmail.com email addresses

SubjectAuthor
* OT problems replying to gmail.com email addressesCharlie Pridham
+- OT problems replying to gmail.com email addressesMike Rogers
+* OT problems replying to gmail.com email addressesBill Davy
|`* OT problems replying to gmail.com email addressesAndy Burns
| `- OT problems replying to gmail.com email addressesCharlie Pridham
+- OT problems replying to gmail.com email addressesDavid Rance
+* OT problems replying to gmail.com email addressesAndy Burns
|`* OT problems replying to gmail.com email addressesRustyHinge
| `* OT problems replying to gmail.com email addressesEllisMorgan
|  +- OT problems replying to gmail.com email addressesThe Natural Philosopher
|  +* OT problems replying to gmail.com email addressesAndy Burns
|  |`- OT problems replying to gmail.com email addressesEllisMorgan
|  `- OT problems replying to gmail.com email addressesCharlie Pridham
`- OT problems replying to gmail.com email addressesChris Green

1
Re: OT problems replying to gmail.com email addresses

<9_ednUmjspfka_n5nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2483&group=uk.rec.gardening#2483

Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 16:44:57 +0100
Subject: Re: OT problems replying to gmail.com email addresses
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
From: mike@mattishall.org.uk (Mike Rogers)
 by: Mike Rogers - Wed, 17 May 2023 15:44 UTC

On 24/04/2023 21:00, Charlie Pridham wrote:
> Anyone else have their replies to contacts with these sort of email
> addresses bounce back as undeliverable?

I have this problem. Changing @gmail to @googlemail fixes it.

Mike

OT problems replying to gmail.com email addresses

<u26n52$fkjg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2771&group=uk.rec.gardening#2771

From: charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 21:00:34 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 20:00 UTC

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Re: OT problems replying to gmail.com email addresses

<kapcnfFm66hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2773&group=uk.rec.gardening#2773

From: Bill@XchelSys.co.uk (Bill Davy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 08:10:39 +0100
 by: Bill Davy - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 07:10 UTC

On 24/04/2023 21:00, Charlie Pridham wrote:
> Anyone else have their replies to contacts with these sort of email
> addresses bounce back as undeliverable?

I think it may be that Google likes to be told about domains that send
email to it! I had that problem, but as the fix worked did not make a
record of it. I probably put some of the error message into a search
engine.

Bill

Re: OT problems replying to gmail.com email addresses

<cnGHfUw2+3RkFwTc@david.rance.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2774&group=uk.rec.gardening#2774

From: david.rance@SPAMOFF.invalid (David Rance)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 08:22:30 +0100
 by: David Rance - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 07:22 UTC

On Mon, 24 Apr 2023 21:00:34 Charlie Pridham wrote:

>Anyone else have their replies to contacts with these sort of email
>addresses bounce back as undeliverable?

I've found that gmail has become extremely picky about what it considers
to be SPAM.

David

Re: OT problems replying to gmail.com email addresses

<kape6gFmeutU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2775&group=uk.rec.gardening#2775

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 08:35:44 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 07:35 UTC

Bill Davy wrote:

> Charlie Pridham wrote:
>
>> Anyone else have their replies to contacts with these sort of email
>> addresses bounce back as undeliverable?
>
> I think it may be that Google likes to be told about domains that send
> email to it!  I had that problem, but as the fix worked did not make a
> record of it.  I probably put some of the error message into a search
> engine.

Charlie probably needs to ensure his SPF, DKIM and DMARC records are
updated so google trust his emails, his email provider
(netintelligence?) and/or DNS provider (namecity?) may be able to help ...

Re: OT problems replying to gmail.com email addresses

<kapfd7FmhhoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2776&group=uk.rec.gardening#2776

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 08:56:23 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 07:56 UTC

Charlie Pridham wrote:

> Anyone else have their replies to contacts with these sort of email
> addresses bounce back as undeliverable?

Whose SMTP server do you use to send emails?

Your SPF records says that will be iomart, if you use someone else's
server gmail won't trust you ...

Re: OT problems replying to gmail.com email addresses

<5efkhj-n4v1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2777&group=uk.rec.gardening#2777

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 09:26:13 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 08:26 UTC

Charlie Pridham <charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk> wrote:
> Anyone else have their replies to contacts with these sort of email
> addresses bounce back as undeliverable?

It's the extra spam filtering that Google are applying. You need to
configure SPF and/or DKIM on the system from which you are sending
your E-Mails. This is probably something you can configure on you
hosting/E-Mail provider.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: OT problems replying to gmail.com email addresses

<u283ov$q2fs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2778&group=uk.rec.gardening#2778

From: charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 09:42:08 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 08:42 UTC

On 25/04/2023 08:35, Andy Burns wrote:
> Bill Davy wrote:
>
>> Charlie Pridham wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone else have their replies to contacts with these sort of email
>>> addresses bounce back as undeliverable?
>>
>> I think it may be that Google likes to be told about domains that send
>> email to it!  I had that problem, but as the fix worked did not make a
>> record of it.  I probably put some of the error message into a search
>> engine.
>
> Charlie probably needs to ensure his SPF, DKIM and DMARC records are
> updated so google trust his emails, his email provider
> (netintelligence?) and/or DNS provider (namecity?) may be able to help ...

Yes thanks everyone, if I had bothered reading the whole bounced email
text I would have seen that it does say what to do about it!! I have now
made the changes. - it had been driving me nuts these last few weeks but
I get many "bounced email" emails that where nothing to do with me so I
had got in the habit of ignoring them.

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Re: OT problems replying to gmail.com email addresses

<u28h3d$scru$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2779&group=uk.rec.gardening#2779

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 13:29:33 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 12:29 UTC

On 25/04/2023 08:56, Andy Burns wrote:
> Charlie Pridham wrote:
>
>> Anyone else have their replies to contacts with these sort of email
>> addresses bounce back as undeliverable?
>
> Whose SMTP server do you use to send emails?
>
> Your SPF records says that will be iomart, if you use someone else's
> server gmail won't trust you ...

Coo! Fancy that! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: OT problems replying to gmail.com email addresses

<u2dbfg$1r7hk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2790&group=uk.rec.gardening#2790

From: ellis@ellis.invalid (EllisMorgan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 09:24:14 +0100
 by: EllisMorgan - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 08:24 UTC

On 25/04/2023 13:29, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 25/04/2023 08:56, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Charlie Pridham wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone else have their replies to contacts with these sort of email
>>> addresses bounce back as undeliverable?
>>
>> Whose SMTP server do you use to send emails?
>>
>> Your SPF records says that will be iomart, if you use someone else's
>> server gmail won't trust you ...
>
> Coo! Fancy that! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

I have the problem as Charlie, does anyone know the right newsgroup to
pursue this?

Re: OT problems replying to gmail.com email addresses

<u2ddhi$1r7v6$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2791&group=uk.rec.gardening#2791

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 09:59:30 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 08:59 UTC

On 27/04/2023 09:24, EllisMorgan wrote:
> On 25/04/2023 13:29, RustyHinge wrote:

>>> Whose SMTP server do you use to send emails?
>>>
>>> Your SPF records says that will be iomart, if you use someone else's
>>> server gmail won't trust you ...
>>
>> Coo! Fancy that! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!
>>
> I have the problem as Charlie, does anyone know the right newsgroup to
> pursue this?

No. One of the general computing fora might help. but there are three
basic solutions if you are not an email guru (I used to be)
1/. Create a gmail address for the specific purpose of communicating
with other morons on gmail.
2/. Report it to your email service provider and bitch and moan till
they fix it.
3/. If you are running under a single ISP and have an email client, that
uses a relay rather than a web interface to email, try using your ISP's
SMTP relay instead of whatever it is you are using.
The theory is it all reduces spam. Except like renewable energy and
CO2, it patently doesn't work to reduce anything at all.
But it covers peoples arses legally. The Blair defence 'We really tried
to do the right thing' (while trousering millions in insider trading)...
But I digress.

--
“It is not the truth of Marxism that explains the willingness of
intellectuals to believe it, but the power that it confers on

Re: OT problems replying to gmail.com email addresses

<kauvodFi3ouU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2794&group=uk.rec.gardening#2794

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 11:06:05 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 10:06 UTC

EllisMorgan wrote:

> I have the problem as Charlie, does anyone know the right newsgroup to
> pursue this?

Your email provider appears to be hosts.co.uk aka names.co.uk

your domain does have a valid SPF record nominating their servers as
where you will be sending from, are you using their recommended email
settings?

You don't have DKIM or DMARC records, they're not *as* necessary as SPF
records, but I suggest you contact NamesCo to add those if they can,
google and the other big players are getting fussy ...

Re: OT problems replying to gmail.com email addresses

<u2imd1$2srnf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2800&group=uk.rec.gardening#2800

From: ellis@ellis.invalid (EllisMorgan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 10:01:21 +0100
 by: EllisMorgan - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 09:01 UTC

On 27/04/2023 11:06, Andy Burns wrote:
> EllisMorgan wrote:
>
>> I have the problem as Charlie, does anyone know the right newsgroup to
>> pursue this?
>
> Your email provider appears to be hosts.co.uk  aka  names.co.uk
>
> your domain does have a valid SPF record nominating their servers as
> where you will be sending from, are you using their recommended email
> settings?
>
> You don't have DKIM or DMARC records, they're not *as* necessary as SPF
> records, but I suggest you contact NamesCo to add those if they can,
> google and the other big players are getting fussy ...

names.co register my domain name and redirect incoming emails to
Plusnet, my email provider. I did not know they got involved in outgoing
messages too.
Another problem is it seems intermittent (or may be message content
dependant) because it is less than 1 in 10 messages to a particular
address that bounce back.
Anyway thanks for the advice, that's as far as I want to take it in this
newsgroup.

Re: OT problems replying to gmail.com email addresses

<u2nps9$2e09$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2804&group=uk.rec.gardening#2804

From: charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 08:31:22 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Mon, 1 May 2023 07:31 UTC

On 27/04/2023 09:24, EllisMorgan wrote:
> On 25/04/2023 13:29, RustyHinge wrote:

>>> Whose SMTP server do you use to send emails?
>>>
>>> Your SPF records says that will be iomart, if you use someone else's
>>> server gmail won't trust you ...
>>
>> Coo! Fancy that! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!
>>
> I have the problem as Charlie, does anyone know the right newsgroup to
> pursue this?

Mine is now sorted, the instructions are in the bounced email! Contact
your email provider and get them to set the required security (Quite why
they didnt all do so I dont know?)
--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall