From: pwllgloyw@gmail.com (Polly@golly)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Strawberry Plants
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 20:22:57 +0100
 by: Polly@golly - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 19:22 UTC

As I do occasionally, I pinned some strawberry runers into pots and when
they had clearly set roots I removed the leading end of the runner. Then
I suddenly noticed that one of the rooter plans is producing flowers, at
least one of which is turning into a fruit. Never had this before, I
wonder if I've managed to create an autumn fruiting variety :)

Re: Strawberry Plants

<udij91$6qvb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2819&group=uk.rec.gardening#2819

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Strawberry Plants
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:06:55 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 20:06 UTC

On 09/09/2023 20:22, Polly@golly wrote:

> As I do occasionally, I pinned some strawberry runers into pots and when
> they had clearly set roots I removed the leading end of the runner. Then
> I suddenly noticed that one of the rooter plans is producing flowers, at
> least one of which is turning into a fruit. Never had this before, I
> wonder if I've managed to create an autumn fruiting variety :)

Don't bank on it: I expect you've grown a scion which is just pleased to
be here - FTTB.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Strawberry Plants

<udk3cj$hf8p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2820&group=uk.rec.gardening#2820

From: {$news$}@meden.demon.co.uk (Stewart Robert Hinsley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:48:07 +0100
 by: Stewart Robert Hinsl - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 09:48 UTC

On 09/09/2023 20:22, Polly@golly wrote:
> As I do occasionally, I pinned some strawberry runers into pots and when
> they had clearly set roots I removed the leading end of the runner. Then
> I suddenly noticed that one of the rooter plans is producing flowers, at
> least one of which is turning into a fruit. Never had this before, I
> wonder if I've managed to create an autumn fruiting variety :)

I've just seen strawberry plants in flower on the allotment next to
mine. It's been an odd summer, which would probably explain this.(With
the weather warming up, perhaps the plants think that it's June.)

--
SRH

Re: Strawberry Plants

<km5jd1Fjn72U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2822&group=uk.rec.gardening#2822

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 10 Sep 2023 10:17:05 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:17 UTC

Stewart Robert Hinsley <{$news$}@meden.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 09/09/2023 20:22, Polly@golly wrote:
>> As I do occasionally, I pinned some strawberry runers into pots and when
>> they had clearly set roots I removed the leading end of the runner. Then
>> I suddenly noticed that one of the rooter plans is producing flowers, at
>> least one of which is turning into a fruit. Never had this before, I
>> wonder if I've managed to create an autumn fruiting variety :)
>
> I've just seen strawberry plants in flower on the allotment next to
> mine. It's been an odd summer, which would probably explain this.(With
> the weather warming up, perhaps the plants think that it's June.)

Our Spring-flowering Azaleas currently have blooms.

--
Spike

Re: Strawberry Plants

<udmg5b$vgug$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2824&group=uk.rec.gardening#2824

From: nmm@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 07:38:19 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: nmm@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 07:38 UTC

In article <udigmi$6el4$1@dont-email.me>,
Polly@golly <pwllgloyw@gmail.com> wrote:
>As I do occasionally, I pinned some strawberry runers into pots and when
>they had clearly set roots I removed the leading end of the runner. Then
>I suddenly noticed that one of the rooter plans is producing flowers, at
>least one of which is turning into a fruit. Never had this before, I
>wonder if I've managed to create an autumn fruiting variety :)

Most varieties have a second, smaller flush in the autumn - the
autum-fruiting varieties are bred for that to be the main one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.