From: muzhmuzh@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: For those intending to Cycle in Holland
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 21:16:11 +1200
 by: Peter Keller - Fri, 19 May 2023 09:16 UTC

On 19/05/23 00:46, Spike wrote:

> [...]
>
> The Netherlands has the 12th highest rate of cancer in the world, in part
> due to increased awareness and diagnosis. Thirty-three percent of deaths in
> the country are due to cancer. Lung cancer is the most prevalent, followed
> by breast cancer and intestinal cancer. Skin cancer and pancreatic cancer
> cases also are increasing, and, between 2005 and 2015, the mortality rate
> of pancreatic cancer increased by 12 percent.
>
> During that same period, the mortality rate of lung cancer, which is
> especially common because of smoking, increased by six percent. The
> premature death rates and prevalence of lung cancer, pancreatic cancer and
> breast cancer are significantly higher in the Netherlands than in similar
> countries.
>

> 2. Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
>
> CVD causes 29 percent of deaths in the Netherlands. Although the mortality
> rate of CVD has declined since the second half of the 20th century, the
> burden remains. Ischemic heart disease is especially crippling to the
> country. In 2007, it was estimated that about 730,400 people were living
> with ischemic heart disease.
>

> 3. Chronic Respiratory Diseases
>
> Chronic respiratory diseases cause six percent of deaths. Lung diseases in
> the Netherlands are especially prevalent because of the high percentage of
> smokers. About 28 percent of people in the country smoke. Because of this,
> there are roughly 23,000 lung related deaths per year and over one million
> lung patients.
>
> In addition to lung cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is
> also prevalent in the county. Between 2005 and 2015, the mortality rate of
> COPD increased by 9.5 percent. The premature death rate is significantly
> higher in the Netherlands compared to similar countries. COPD can lead to
> emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
>

> 4. Mental and Behavioral Disorders
>
> Mental health is important to recognize in the Netherlands. Depressive
> disorders are a leading cause of death and disability in the country. In
> 2014, about eight percent of the population claimed to be suffering from
> depression, accounting for more than one million people.
>

> 5. Alzheimer’s Disease
>
> Dementia affects 1.47 percent of the Dutch population. In 2012, about
> 245,568 people lived with dementia. Alzheimer’s disease is especially
> common as the mortality rate increased by 18.6 percent between 2005 and
> 2015. Risk factors of Alzheimer’s include age, genetics, traumatic brain
> injury and mild cognitive impairment. Research also suggests that
> cardiovascular disease and education level may be linked to the disease.
>
> Poor lifestyle choices are commonly associated to many of these diseases.
> Smoking, for example, is a major risk factor and something that should be
> recognized when addressing rates of diseases such as lung cancer and COPD.
> Improving health education is one step in helping decrease the rates of
> these common diseases in the Netherlands.

I like to think positively and happily, doing things I love doing, like
bicycling - the feel of fresh air grand vistas, smells etc --
Your suggestions above can happen at random to anybody. I just accept
that life is a bitch and do and see beautiful things while I am still alive.

Re: For those intending to Cycle in Holland

<kcq9jbFtukvU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28266&group=uk.rec.cycling#28266

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 19 May 2023 21:55:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 19 May 2023 21:55 UTC

Peter Keller <muzhmuzh@centrum.sk> wrote:
> [...]
>> injury and mild cognitive impairment. Research also suggests that
>> cardiovascular disease and education level may be linked to the disease.
>>
>> Poor lifestyle choices are commonly associated to many of these diseases.
>> Smoking, for example, is a major risk factor and something that should be
>> recognized when addressing rates of diseases such as lung cancer and COPD.
>> Improving health education is one step in helping decrease the rates of
>> these common diseases in the Netherlands.
>>
>> <https://borgenproject.org/common-diseases-in-the-netherlands/>
>>
> I like to think positively and happily, doing things I love doing, like
> bicycling - the feel of fresh air grand vistas, smells etc --
> Your suggestions above can happen at random to anybody. I just accept
> that life is a bitch and do and see beautiful things while I am still alive.

That’s a good philosophy.

The real point is that for all that cycling, cycle-oriented cities, bike
garages and the rest, the Dutch die of the same diseases in very much the
same proportions as people in the UK. So where are the health benefits of
cycling?

--
Spike

Re: For those intending to Cycle in Holland

<u4a2cj$11beb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28287&group=uk.rec.cycling#28287

From: muzhmuzh@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 21:03:15 +1200
 by: Peter Keller - Sat, 20 May 2023 09:03 UTC

On 20/05/23 09:55, Spike wrote:
> [...]
>>> Smoking, for example, is a major risk factor and something that should be
>>> recognized when addressing rates of diseases such as lung cancer and COPD.
>>> Improving health education is one step in helping decrease the rates of
>>> these common diseases in the Netherlands.
>>>
>>> <https://borgenproject.org/common-diseases-in-the-netherlands/>
>>>
>> I like to think positively and happily, doing things I love doing, like
>> bicycling - the feel of fresh air grand vistas, smells etc --
>> Your suggestions above can happen at random to anybody. I just accept
>> that life is a bitch and do and see beautiful things while I am still alive.
>
> That’s a good philosophy.
>
> The real point is that for all that cycling, cycle-oriented cities, bike
> garages and the rest, the Dutch die of the same diseases in very much the
> same proportions as people in the UK. So where are the health benefits of

I love bicycling.
That is enough for me.

Re: For those intending to Cycle in Holland

<kcrlqnF75lkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28302&group=uk.rec.cycling#28302

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 20 May 2023 10:30:47 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 20 May 2023 10:30 UTC

Peter Keller <muzhmuzh@centrum.sk> wrote:
> On 20/05/23 09:55, Spike wrote:
>> Peter Keller <muzhmuzh@centrum.sk> wrote:

>>> I like to think positively and happily, doing things I love doing, like
>>> bicycling - the feel of fresh air grand vistas, smells etc --
>>> Your suggestions above can happen at random to anybody. I just accept
>>> that life is a bitch and do and see beautiful things while I am still alive.
>>
>> That’s a good philosophy.
>>
>> The real point is that for all that cycling, cycle-oriented cities, bike
>> garages and the rest, the Dutch die of the same diseases in very much the
>> same proportions as people in the UK. So where are the health benefits of
>> cycling?

> I love bicycling.
> That is enough for me.

That’s good. I hope you enjoy it for a long time.

Sto lat!

--
Spike