There never was a good war or a bad peace. -- B. Franklin

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavements

SubjectAuthor
* Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavementsswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavementsSpike
+* Re: Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavementsswldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavementsswldx...@gmail.com
| +- Re: Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavementsSpike
| `* Re: Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavementsswldx...@gmail.com
|  +- Re: Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavementsSpike
|  `* Re: Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavementsswldx...@gmail.com
|   +- Re: Green light to move controversial chav-cycle lanes on to theJNugent
|   `- Re: Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavementsswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: Green light to move controversial chav-cycle lanes on to theJNugent

1
Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavements

<4b99bfa1-7f97-4647-8feb-0ee8cc718601n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28224&group=uk.rec.cycling#28224

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 05:21:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavements
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 19 May 2023 12:21 UTC

Freetown Way will return to two lanes of traffic, but not until next year.

Hull City Council today announced it had secured government funding to scrap controversial on-road cycle lanes, which were installed in July 2020. They will be replaced with "off-road" cycle lanes on the pavements.

However, the reconfigured road will not be completed until well into the new year. Work is set to start early in 2024, following further design work later this year.

The segregated cycle lanes, which reduced Freetown Way to a single lane for motorists in each direction, were funded by the Government as part of a roll-out of an Active Travel scheme during the early part of the pandemic. The idea was to encourage more cycling and walking, as well as bus use.

The funding was conditional on schemes being implemented immediately, allowing little or no time for consultation. However, since the changes were made on Freetown Way, lengthy traffic queues have become a regular sight along the route, particularly on the approach to the junction with Ferensway, Beverley Road and Spring Bank.

Under the new plans, the footpaths on both sides of Freetown Way are set to be widened between Witham and Blundell’s Corner to accommodate a safe, off-road cycle path. Two lanes of traffic will be reinstated in both directions by removing the bollards and the current cycle lanes.

Cllr Mike Ross, Leader of Hull City Council, said: “We have been working for the last year to secure funding for new cycle infrastructure that will allow us to also restore two lanes of traffic on Freetown Way and it’s great news that we have been successful.

“This is a win-win for everyone – two lanes of traffic to keep the city’s roads moving and safe, off-road cycle paths to encourage cycling. When we asked residents’ views last summer in our major Traffic and Transport Survey, we promised to listen to what residents told us. Now we’re taking action to do what residents have asked."

This scheme is one of several in Hull benefitting from an £8.8m grant from the Government's Active Travel England fund. Bids were submitted by Hull City Council in January this year.

Money will also be spent on improvements to Preston Road, a new crossing on Anlaby Park Road, improvements to the Foredyke Stream and Trans Pennine Trail cycle routes, and designs for a new off-road cycle route in Clough Road..

Hull City Council said drop-in sessions and online opportunities for residents to find out more about the schemes would be confirmed in the coming months. The works are likely to start on site early in 2024 subject to relevant approvals being in place.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/freetown-way-return-two-lanes-8453223

Re: Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavements

<kcpbguFpftsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28226&group=uk.rec.cycling#28226

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 19 May 2023 13:22:38 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 19 May 2023 13:22 UTC

On-road cycle lanes are to be replaced with "off-road" cycle lanes on the
pavements.

God help the pedestrians. We all know how well that idea works out in terms
of their safety.

--
Spike

Re: Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavements

<0bd91b8e-fdca-4a3a-a148-ce1bfe2cf103n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28228&group=uk.rec.cycling#28228

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 06:29:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 19 May 2023 13:29 UTC

I prefer these original cycle lanes - more stationary traffic to sail by.

https://i2-prod.hulldailymail.co.uk/incoming/article8453402.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/2_PHP_HMB_150820_cycle_011jp.jpg

Re: Green light to move controversial chav-cycle lanes on to the pavements

<kcpc7oFpj2fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28229&group=uk.rec.cycling#28229

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Green light to move controversial chav-cycle lanes on to the
pavements
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 14:34:47 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 19 May 2023 13:34 UTC

> Freetown Way will return to two lanes of traffic, but not until next year.
>
> Hull City Council today announced it had secured government funding to scrap controversial on-road chav-cycle lanes, which were installed in July 2020. They will be replaced with "off-road" chav-cycle lanes on the pavements.

Watch out, Hull pedestrians. Chav-cyclists could not care less about you.

> However, the reconfigured road will not be completed until well into the new year. Work is set to start early in 2024, following further design work later this year.
> The segregated chav-cycle lanes, which reduced Freetown Way to a single lane for motorists in each direction, were funded by the Government as part of a roll-out of an Active Travel scheme during the early part of the pandemic. The idea was to encourage more chav-cycling and walking, as well as bus use.

Encouraging use of buses during a *pandemic*?

> The funding was conditional on schemes being implemented immediately, allowing little or no time for consultation. However, since the changes were made on Freetown Way, lengthy traffic queues have become a regular sight along the route, particularly on the approach to the junction with Ferensway, Beverley Road and Spring Bank.
> Under the new plans, the footpaths on both sides of Freetown Way are set to be widened between Witham and Blundell’s Corner to accommodate a "safe", off-road chav-cycle path. Two lanes of traffic will be reinstated in both directions by removing the bollards and the current chav-cycle lanes.
> Cllr Mike Ross, Leader of Hull City Council, said: “We have been working for the last year to secure funding for new chav-cycle infrastructure that will allow us to also restore two lanes of traffic on Freetown Way and it’s great news that we have been successful.
> “This is a win-win for everyone – two lanes of traffic to keep the city’s roads moving and safe, off-road chav-paths to encourage chav-cycling. When we asked residents’ views last summer in our major Traffic and Transport Survey, we promised to listen to what residents told us. Now we’re taking action to do what residents have asked."

Did "residents" really ask for chavs on bikes to be allowed to use the
footways as a speedway? It sounds most unlikely.

> This scheme is one of several in Hull benefitting from an £8.8m grant from the Government's Active Travel England fund. Bids were submitted by Hull City Council in January this year.
> Money will also be spent on improvements to Preston Road, a new crossing on Anlaby Park Road, improvements to the Foredyke Stream and Trans Pennine Trail chav-cycle routes, and designs for a new off-road chav route in Clough Road.
> Hull City Council said drop-in sessions and online opportunities for residents to find out more about the schemes would be confirmed in the coming months. The works are likely to start on site early in 2024 subject to relevant approvals being in place.
>
> https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/freetown-way-return-two-lanes-8453223

Re: Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavements

<da3556af-1305-4662-b0be-8ffea1ad6cfbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28232&group=uk.rec.cycling#28232

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 07:04:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 19 May 2023 14:04 UTC

On Friday, May 19, 2023 at 2:29:04 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> I prefer these original cycle lanes - more stationary traffic to sail by.
>
> https://i2-prod.hulldailymail.co.uk/incoming/article8453402.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/2_PHP_HMB_150820_cycle_011jp.jpg

Note lack of destroyed wands that are commonly seen in more angry chavvy driver areas.

Re: Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavements

<kcq9jbFtukvU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28267&group=uk.rec.cycling#28267

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 19 May 2023 21:55:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 19 May 2023 21:55 UTC

> On Friday, May 19, 2023 at 2:29:04 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> I prefer these original cycle lanes - more stationary traffic to sail by.
>>
>> https://i2-prod.hulldailymail.co.uk/incoming/article8453402.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/2_PHP_HMB_150820_cycle_011jp.jpg
>
> Note lack of destroyed wands that are commonly seen in more angry chavvy driver areas.

But the traffic lights are at red…a colour unfamiliar to cyclists.

--
Spike

Re: Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavements

<e03c41dc-e018-494e-8bbb-a8358722e1c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28270&group=uk.rec.cycling#28270

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 21:58:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 20 May 2023 04:58 UTC

4 hrs ago

No need for cycle lanes.

What is required is better driving and actual enforcement of traffic regs.

SPOT ON.

Re: Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavements

<kcrcvrF4hpsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28276&group=uk.rec.cycling#28276

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 20 May 2023 07:59:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 20 May 2023 07:59 UTC

> 4 hrs ago
>
> No need for cycle lanes.
>
> What is required is better driving and actual enforcement of traffic regs.
>
> SPOT ON.

And the part that seemed to have been missed:

…plus better cycling and actual enforcement of traffic regulations.

SPOT ON

--
Spike

Re: Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavements

<08654398-7b00-4eb0-9e22-9c56cbaba179n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28283&group=uk.rec.cycling#28283

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 01:57:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 20 May 2023 08:57 UTC

On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 5:58:46 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> 4 hrs ago
>
> No need for cycle lanes.
>
> What is required is better driving and actual enforcement of traffic regs..
>
> SPOT ON.

There are red light cameras ther now - excellent news.

Re: Green light to move controversial chav-cycle lanes on to the pavements

<kcrkpiF6ug6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28295&group=uk.rec.cycling#28295

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
pavements
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 11:13:07 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 20 May 2023 10:13 UTC

On 20/05/2023 09:57 am, swldx...@gmail.com...

....dishonestly pretending not to be responding to Spike (with whom Mad
Mason cannot comoete intellectually) said...

> On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 5:58:46 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> 4 hrs ago
>> No need for cycle lanes.
>> What is required is better driving and actual enforcement of traffic regs.
>
>> SPOT ON.
>
> There are red light cameras ther now - excellent news.

Will they cover chavs riding their chav-bikes along the footway "ther"
[sic]?

Re: Green light to move controversial cycle lanes on to the pavements

<9113654e-7eae-4163-a392-d8440c280240n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28301&group=uk.rec.cycling#28301

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 03:29:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 20 May 2023 10:29 UTC

On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 9:57:21 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 5:58:46 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > 4 hrs ago
> >
> > No need for cycle lanes.
> >
> > What is required is better driving and actual enforcement of traffic regs.
> >
> > SPOT ON.
> There are red light cameras ther now - excellent news.

"THERE" - SORRY.