Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 08:29:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Funding boost for walking and cycling in Portsmouth
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 19 May 2023 15:29 UTC

Safer walking and cycling routes are coming to Portsmouth, as new funding has been awarded to improve cycle lanes and crossings in the city.

Portsmouth City Council has secured a total of £650,000 from the Department for Transport as part of the Active Travel Fund. The money will go towards creating schemes that are designed to help encourage people to make short trips by bicycle or by foot, making it easier for everyone to make greener and healthier travel choices around the city.

Cllr Gerald Vernon-Jackson, Cabinet Member for Transport said:

“I am pleased we have secured £650,000 from the Department for Transport’s Active Travel Fund, as this will help us make walking and cycling in the city safer and easier for everyone and will help local residents feel like its OK to walk and cycle instead of using their car as much.”

This funding will create schemes that align with the council’s objectives as set out in the Local Transport Plan. They’ll focus on creating a cleaner, greener, and more joined-up transport network that enables residents, visitors, and businesses to access every area of the city, however they choose to get around.

The council will now move forward with developing detailed plans based on the ideas presented in the funding bid. These plans will be carefully crafted to maximize the benefits and meet the needs of the community. Final proposals will be presented at a decision meeting later this year, where the council will determine the best way to implement these enhancements for the benefit of everyone in Portsmouth.

https://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/2023/05/19/funding-boost-for-walking-and-cycling-in-portsmouth/