Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it depends on what you put into it. -- Tom Lehrer

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bikeMike Collins
+- Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’Spike
+* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bikeswldx...@gmail.com
|+* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bikeMike Collins
||+* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bikeswldx...@gmail.com
|||+* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bikeswldx...@gmail.com
|||`- Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’Spike
||+- Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansionJNugent
||`* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bikeswldx...@gmail.com
|| +- Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’Spike
|| `* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bikeswldx...@gmail.com
||  `- Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’Spike
|`- Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’Spike
`* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansionJNugent
 `* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with chavMike Collins
  +* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with chavswldx...@gmail.com
  |`* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with chavswldx...@gmail.com
  | `* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with chavswldx...@gmail.com
  |  `- Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’Spike
  `* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansionJNugent
   +- Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’Spike
   `- Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with chavMike Collins

1
Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<802e2abe-83a6-49fb-9224-ef35fdded5c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28408&group=uk.rec.cycling#28408

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 02:47:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Doctors_‘celebrate’_Ulez_expansion_with_bike
_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sun, 21 May 2023 09:47 UTC

On Friday, 12 May 2023 at 16:57:36 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> They say Sadiq Khan’s Ulez expansion, across all 33 boroughs from August 29, was a “small step in the right direction towards cleaner air”. They called on all healthcare workers in the capital to campaign for clean air.
>
> Dr Mark Hayden, a London paediatrician and the cycle ride’s organiser, told the Standard: “For me, I struggle now to think of a disease that is not exacerbated or made worse by pollution.
>
> “We felt it was a good way for us, as healthcare providers, to speak up for the truth: that polluted air is highly toxic, causes the NHS a lot of harm and is costing the NHS a lot of money [to treat].”
>
> The 155-mile “Ride for their Lives” will start tomorrow in Havering and continue on Sunday and Monday. Up to a dozen medics are expected to take part. The aim is for the route to follow the capital’s boundary, which will become the Ulez boundary.
>
> Some of the doctors previously took part in a bike ride to Glasgow to mark the Cop26 summit in 2021.
>
> Dr Hayden referred to the coroner’s prevention of future deaths report issued following the inquest into the death of Ella Kissi-Debrah, and the advice from chief medical officer Professor Sir Chris Whitty for the NHS to stop creating air pollution and to educate itself and patients about its dangers.
>
> The cyclists - GPs, paediatricians, junior doctors, an emergency medicine doctor, a physiotherapist, an anaesthetist and a neonatologist - have backed the “clean air wins” campaign which warns that toxic air is placing a “huge strain” on hospital wards.
>
> Dr Hayden said: "Too often the health benefits are ignored. Air pollution crosses the placenta and causes harm before birth, the damage accumulates throughout childhood and adult life.
>
> “At a time when the NHS is already under immense pressure, air pollution is causing a huge strain on hospital wards across the country that could be prevented today.
>
> “The Ulez works, particularly for reducing NO2 (nitrogen dioxide), the main culprit in asthma. It is a small step in the right direction towards cleaner air and more safe active travel.
>
> “So we’re cycling to celebrate this expansion, and we call on all healthcare workers across London to speak up for safe air."
>
> Dr Anna Moore, a respiratory doctor from London who is joining the cycle ride, said: “There is no organ in the body which is not harmed by air pollution.
>
> “Our health service is under extraordinary pressure; waiting lists are too long, emergency services are overwhelmed.
>
> “Cleaning up the air we all breathe would prevent or reduce so much illness - from diabetes to cardiovascular disease, strokes to dementia, asthma to COPD. Imagine the positive impact on our NHS if we did.”
>
> Mr Khan said: “It is fantastic that this amazing group will be raising awareness about the importance of expanding the Ulez London-wide.”

If all London residents switch to electric vehicles where will the power come from?
That's right, it will be generated elsewhere because they don't want a nuclear power station in their back yard.

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kcu894Fj8ilU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28414&group=uk.rec.cycling#28414

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’
Date: 21 May 2023 09:57:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 21 May 2023 09:57 UTC

Mike Collins <cmike8828@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> ride, said: “There is no organ in the body which is not harmed by air pollution.
>>
>> “Our health service is under extraordinary pressure; waiting lists are
>> too long, emergency services are overwhelmed.
>>
>> “Cleaning up the air we all breathe would prevent or reduce so much
>> illness - from diabetes to cardiovascular disease, strokes to dementia,
>> asthma to COPD. Imagine the positive impact on our NHS if we did.”
>>
>> Mr Khan said: “It is fantastic that this amazing group will be raising
>> awareness about the importance of expanding the Ulez London-wide.”
>>
>> https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/doctors-ulez-expansion-bike-ride-greater-london-boundary-b1080733.html

> If all London residents switch to electric vehicles where will the power come from?

> That's right, it will be generated elsewhere because they don't want a
> nuclear power station in their back yard.

…is the right answer.

--
Spike

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<9f78155b-72e1-4a0a-82ee-18ccff76a857n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28422&group=uk.rec.cycling#28422

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 03:25:49 -0700 (PDT)
_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 21 May 2023 10:25 UTC

On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 10:47:24 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

> If all London residents switch to electric vehicles where will the power come from?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwpSl9VWYAApYCZ?format=jpg&name=medium

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<740823e2-1255-406c-a883-c2b7e1db05c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28428&group=uk.rec.cycling#28428

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 04:30:45 -0700 (PDT)
_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sun, 21 May 2023 11:30 UTC

On Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 11:25:50 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 10:47:24 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
>
> > If all London residents switch to electric vehicles where will the power come from?
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwpSl9VWYAApYCZ?format=jpg&name=medium

Are you claiming all London's current electrical needs are satisfied by wind power and there is enough excess to power every electric car in London when petrol and diesel cars are banned? How is this energy stored at off peak times?

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kcujhqFkv6pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28439&group=uk.rec.cycling#28439

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 21 May 2023 13:10:18 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 21 May 2023 13:10 UTC

> On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 10:47:24 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
>
>> If all London residents switch to electric vehicles where will the power come from?
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwpSl9VWYAApYCZ?format=jpg&name=medium

Last November wind was poor over the whole of Europe. In the UK CCGT had to
supply the 15GW shortfall for 25 days, some 9TWh of difference.There were
also serious shortfalls of wind in January, February, and March. Solar was
useless. The highly-polluting biomass, brought by diesel-powered ships from
the US, essentially was the only ‘renewable’ of any significance, and that
was only a small percentage of demand.

--
Spike

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<4886262d-f211-4544-a7d3-1c780f224cccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28452&group=uk.rec.cycling#28452

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 08:20:46 -0700 (PDT)
_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 21 May 2023 15:20 UTC

On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 12:30:47 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

> Are you claiming all London's current electrical needs are satisfied by wind power and there is enough excess to power every electric car in London when petrol and diesel cars are banned? How is this energy stored at off peak times?

They knew what they were voting for.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwqWNUnXsAEdpAO?format=png&name=medium

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with chav-bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kcuslfFmajbU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28457&group=uk.rec.cycling#28457

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Doctors_‘celebrate’_Ulez_expansion_
with_chav-bike_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 16:45:50 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 21 May 2023 15:45 UTC

On 21/05/2023 10:47 am, Mike Collins wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> “Our health service is under extraordinary pressure; waiting lists are too long, emergency services are overwhelmed.
>>
>> “Cleaning up the air we all breathe would prevent or reduce so much illness - from diabetes to cardiovascular disease, strokes to dementia, asthma to COPD. Imagine the positive impact on our NHS if we did.”
>>
>> Mr Khan said: “It is fantastic that this amazing group will be raising awareness about the importance of expanding the Ulez London-wide.”
>>
>> https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/doctors-ulez-expansion-bike-ride-greater-london-boundary-b1080733.html
>
> If all London residents switch to electric vehicles where will the power come from?
> That's right, it will be generated elsewhere because they don't want a nuclear power station in their back yard.

But that is exactly what they should be made to understand:

"Generate all your own power within London (and dispose of all your own
waste within London).

"Don't expect others to put up with your pollution."

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kcusoiFmajbU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28458&group=uk.rec.cycling#28458

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
with_bike_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 16:47:29 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 21 May 2023 15:47 UTC

On 21/05/2023 12:30 pm, Mike Collins wrote:

> On Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 11:25:50 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 10:47:24 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
>>
>>> If all London residents switch to electric vehicles where will the power come from?
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwpSl9VWYAApYCZ?format=jpg&name=medium
>
> Are you claiming all London's current electrical needs are satisfied by wind power and there is enough excess to power every electric car in London when petrol and diesel cars are banned?

Yes, he is.

Unbelievable, but true.

> How is this energy stored at off peak times?
Don't ask such awkward questions. You know they upset him.

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<f2f334fc-47bd-41fd-ab11-3c78525f7f16n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28461&group=uk.rec.cycling#28461

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 09:05:42 -0700 (PDT)
_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 21 May 2023 16:05 UTC

On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 4:20:47 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 12:30:47 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
>
> > Are you claiming all London's current electrical needs are satisfied by wind power and there is enough excess to power every electric car in London when petrol and diesel cars are banned? How is this energy stored at off peak times?
> They knew what they were voting for.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwqWNUnXsAEdpAO?format=png&name=medium

Sunday Times today!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwqeSyJWIAA4h7K?format=jpg&name=medium

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kcv3bdFnbhvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28470&group=uk.rec.cycling#28470

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 21 May 2023 17:39:57 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 21 May 2023 17:39 UTC

> On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 12:30:47 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
>
>> Are you claiming all London's current electrical needs are satisfied by
>> wind power and there is enough excess to power every electric car in
>> London when petrol and diesel cars are banned? How is this energy stored
>> at off peak times?
>
> They knew what they were voting for.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwqWNUnXsAEdpAO?format=png&name=medium

Nobody, but nobody, voted for windmills. They were imposed by a Renewables
Obligation (and not a temperature or CO2 obligation) by the EU in order to
make Siemens a shedload of money.

We simply couldn’t have had a results-based obligation, because there won’t
be any results from this travesty. Except for those who are raking it in,
of course.

QUOTE

And at the moment, we are going in the wrong direction. Overall generation
capacity available to the National Grid actually fell from 77.9 GW in 2019
to 76.6 GW in 2021.

Moreover, wind and solar farms are not performing in the way which was
hoped. Last year alone, the available generation capacity of wind power
grew by 5.3 per cent and solar by 2.8 per cent.

Yet the amount of electricity actually generated by wind, wave and solar
plunged by 9.3 per cent, largely on account of low wind speeds.

This is a problem which the wind industry has yet to grasp: there is a
long-term declining trend in wind speeds over the UK – and indeed
throughout most of the world.

This is an aspect of climate change which gets little coverage, perhaps
because it conflicts with the lazy and incorrect narrative, perpetuated by
the former chairman of the Environment Agency among others, that Britain is
facing more ‘violent’ weather.

ENDQUOTE

--
Spike

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<b18583a3-f21b-4b0a-9926-239a4ffbb9d1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28473&group=uk.rec.cycling#28473

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 11:03:07 -0700 (PDT)
_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 21 May 2023 18:03 UTC

On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 12:30:47 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
How is this energy stored at off peak times?

Apparently, there is a brand new gigafactory near Blyth called Britishvolt which is just muddy field which has gone bust, but it's early days yet.

Just give it 50 years or so.

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kd0m5rFb4kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28504&group=uk.rec.cycling#28504

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 May 2023 08:07:23 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 22 May 2023 08:07 UTC

> On Sunday, May 21, 2023 at 12:30:47 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
> How is this energy stored at off peak times?
>
> Apparently, there is a brand new gigafactory near Blyth called
> Britishvolt which is just muddy field which has gone bust, but it's early days yet.
>
> Just give it 50 years or so.

How does a muddy field go bust?

--
Spike

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<a478aa86-534e-454d-a5c4-b59793f483f6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28511&group=uk.rec.cycling#28511

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 02:17:09 -0700 (PDT)
_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 22 May 2023 09:17 UTC

Britain has now missed its window of opportunity to build a battery industry, and the government, including Rishi Sunak, is largely to blame, the head of collapsed cell manufacturer Britishvolt has told Sky News.

The company was feted as the jewel in Britain's manufacturing crown - the first home-grown gigafactory, co-financed by the government and turning out electric car batteries from its plant in the North East - but went into administration earlier this year.

Now, in his first interview since its implosion, co-founder Orral Nadjari blamed government bureaucracy for its failure.

"We lost that window of opportunity," said Mr Nadjari. "We already are behind East Asia. We're already behind continental Europe. The UK, unfortunately, has lost out or is losing out on the gigafactory economy, which is massive in terms of job creation.

"Unfortunately we didn't see that same support from the Conservative government in order to level up the North East. Because the North East wasn't as important for them as maybe other places in this country."

It comes as Vauxhall's parent company Stellantis called on the government to renegotiate its Brexit deal with the EU, telling a parliamentary committee's inquiry on electric vehicle production it was no longer able to meet trade rules on where parts are sourced.

Stellantis' warning was echoed by Ford, who said in a statement tariffs will penalise companies that invested early in electric vehicles the hardest.

The industry, Ford said, "does not have sufficient supply of locally-sourced batteries and components to meet demand".

"Tightening the trade rules at this point risks undermining the switch to EVs with tariffs and adding pointless cost to customers wanting to go green.

"Manufacturers who have invested heavily early in the transition will be hardest hit by tariffs because combustion engine vehicles will continue to move tariff-free."

'Fatal delay'

Britishvolt had planned to build a large scale battery factory - a so-called gigafactory - at a site on the North East coast near Blyth.

The plans were hailed by the then Prime Minister Boris Johnson as "part of our Green Industrial Revolution" and the site was visited by then Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng.

But while the government agreed in principle to provide funds to help the company build the factory, Mr Nadari told Sky News the Treasury repeatedly dragged its heels.

He said even after all the necessary paperwork had been done, the relevant papers sat on the then Chancellor Rishi Sunak's desk for months before being formally approved.

That delay was fatal, Mr Nadjari alleged, because it meant that Britishvolt ended up trying to raise most of its money at a period of war and sky-high inflation, when global investment was cratering.

"Nobody could foresee a two digit inflation, that the country hasn't seen since 1955," he said, adding that Britishvolt was "caught between a rock and a hard place" as Mr Sunak and Boris Johnson battled during the former prime minister's last days in office.

"Nobody could foresee three different prime ministers, four different chancellors… The UK saw a very turbulent time… and for a startup, what is important is that continuous capital injection and that really halted off and unfortunately because of that rivalry, we were hit with a delay."

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kd1cmfF3n83U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28540&group=uk.rec.cycling#28540

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 May 2023 14:31:43 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 22 May 2023 14:31 UTC

> Britain has now missed its window of opportunity to build a battery
> industry, and the government, including Rishi Sunak, is largely to blame,
> the head of collapsed cell manufacturer Britishvolt has told Sky News.
>
> The company was feted as the jewel in Britain's manufacturing crown - the
> first home-grown gigafactory, co-financed by the government and turning
> out electric car batteries from its plant in the North East - but went
> into administration earlier this year.

The company went bust because investors were unimpressed with its business
model, and so refrained from supporting the venture.

--
Spike

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<d1c09ef9-8172-46d7-9bff-310ec88e44edn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28550&group=uk.rec.cycling#28550

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 08:29:41 -0700 (PDT)
_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 22 May 2023 15:29 UTC

THE BEST OF BRITISH!

https://i2-prod.chroniclelive.co.uk/incoming/article26017412.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/1_Britishvolt-administration.jpg

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kd1i9jF4g44U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28558&group=uk.rec.cycling#28558

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
with_bike_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 17:07:15 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 22 May 2023 16:07 UTC

> THE BEST OF BRITISH!
>
> https://i2-prod.chroniclelive.co.uk/incoming/article26017412.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/1_Britishvolt-administration.jpg

....followed by...

<https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/bicycle-accidents-dangerous-bike-ride-600w-610140035.jpg>

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kd1j17F4kl1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28561&group=uk.rec.cycling#28561

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 May 2023 16:19:51 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 22 May 2023 16:19 UTC

> THE BEST OF BRITISH!

> https://i2-prod.chroniclelive.co.uk/incoming/article26017412.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/1_Britishvolt-administration.jpg

All they needed was the right business model.

Economics 101.

--
Spike

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with chav-bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<afd74024-d7da-4d94-b4da-c6aba1a19328n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28564&group=uk.rec.cycling#28564

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 10:15:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Doctors_‘celebrate’_Ulez_expansion_with_chav
-bike_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Mon, 22 May 2023 17:15 UTC

On Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 16:47:01 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> Mr Khan said: “It is fantastic that this amazing group will be raising awareness about the importance of expanding the Ulez London-wide.”
> >>
> >> https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/doctors-ulez-expansion-bike-ride-greater-london-boundary-b1080733.html
> >
> > If all London residents switch to electric vehicles where will the power come from?
> > That's right, it will be generated elsewhere because they don't want a nuclear power station in their back yard.
> But that is exactly what they should be made to understand:
>
> "Generate all your own power within London (and dispose of all your own
> waste within London).
>
> "Don't expect others to put up with your pollution."

Rather than charging for driving in to London we should charge those who live in London £25 a day to leave.

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with chav-bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<69ecea46-e128-4a62-af0a-7abef4d239c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28570&group=uk.rec.cycling#28570

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 11:05:32 -0700 (PDT)
-bike_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 22 May 2023 18:05 UTC

On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 6:15:45 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

> Rather than charging for driving in to London we should charge those who live in London £25 a day to leave.

Just wait for the next London marathon - would make a bomb!

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with chav-bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kd3iloFdrsoU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28606&group=uk.rec.cycling#28606

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
with_chav-bike_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 11:25:59 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 23 May 2023 10:25 UTC

On 22/05/2023 06:15 pm, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 16:47:01 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

>>> If all London residents switch to electric vehicles where will the power come from?
>>> That's right, it will be generated elsewhere because they don't want a nuclear power station in their back yard.
>> But that is exactly what they should be made to understand:
>>
>> "Generate all your own power within London (and dispose of all your own
>> waste within London).
>>
>> "Don't expect others to put up with your pollution."
>
> Rather than charging for driving in to London we should charge those who live in London £25 a day to leave.

Now *there's* an idea!

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with chav-bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kd3iu3FdtmcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28609&group=uk.rec.cycling#28609

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 23 May 2023 10:30:27 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 23 May 2023 10:30 UTC

JNugent <jenningsandco@mail.com> wrote:
> On 22/05/2023 06:15 pm, Mike Collins wrote:

>>> But that is exactly what they should be made to understand:
>>>
>>> "Generate all your own power within London (and dispose of all your own
>>> waste within London).
>>>
>>> "Don't expect others to put up with your pollution."
>>
>> Rather than charging for driving in to London we should charge those who
>> live in London £25 a day to leave.
>
> Now *there's* an idea!

WHS

--
Spike

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with chav-bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<1a76c8bd-1482-408b-97af-3005908f1749n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28614&group=uk.rec.cycling#28614

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 04:01:59 -0700 (PDT)
-bike_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 23 May 2023 11:01 UTC

On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 7:05:34 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 6:15:45 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
>
> > Rather than charging for driving in to London we should charge those who live in London £25 a day to leave.
> Just wait for the next London marathon - would make a bomb!

The poor dear are "imprisoned" in their own homes apparently.

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with chav-bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<6b20a6f8-39d1-4441-8e25-1e3873a77370n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28631&group=uk.rec.cycling#28631

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 07:10:53 -0700 (PDT)
-bike_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Tue, 23 May 2023 14:10 UTC

On Tuesday, 23 May 2023 at 11:28:01 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
> On 22/05/2023 06:15 pm, Mike Collins wrote:

> >> But that is exactly what they should be made to understand:
> >>
> >> "Generate all your own power within London (and dispose of all your own
> >> waste within London).
> >>
> >> "Don't expect others to put up with your pollution."
> >
> > Rather than charging for driving in to London we should charge those who live in London £25 a day to leave.
> Now *there's* an idea!

If you live in London everything you need to sustain life comes from outside, so stay in your stinking hell hole and be grateful.
Londoners who are bothered by air pollution can pay for air filters and CO2 scrubbers.

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with chav-bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<8ca61904-83f5-4ece-b032-1fbb7194d147n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29186&group=uk.rec.cycling#29186

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 11:38:00 -0700 (PDT)
-bike_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 31 May 2023 18:38 UTC

Poor babies happy now?

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/349831626_204405332534140_5722240380667023760_n.jpg

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with chav -bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kdpiqnFq0diU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29188&group=uk.rec.cycling#29188

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 31 May 2023 18:43:35 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 31 May 2023 18:43 UTC

> Poor babies happy now?
>
> https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/349831626_204405332534140_5722240380667023760_n.jpg

That cartoon neatly avoids the point that the cyclists that complained of
being ‘trapped’ could have left their house, on their bicycles, by cycling
on the pavement (whether allowed or not, it doesn’t make any difference to
them).

--
Spike