From: max@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Another FA cup / cricket question
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 21:31:22 +0100
 by: max.it - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 20:31 UTC

On May 4th this international footballer was scoring and winning in
the FA cup final, by June 29th he was playing premier league cricket.

max.it

Re: Another FA cup / cricket question

<d4rrfip9mmrv8fdj9fr67j8o5id0p2cqqb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28463&group=uk.sport.cricket#28463

From: max@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Another FA cup / cricket question
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 17:19:53 +0100
 by: max.it - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 16:19 UTC

https://stats.acscricket.com/Archive/Players/334/334974/Liverpool_Premier_League_Matches.html

max.it

Re: Another FA cup / cricket question

<B+3WPJBLRh$kFwgQ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28465&group=uk.sport.cricket#28465

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 20:08:59 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 19:08 UTC

In message <d4rrfip9mmrv8fdj9fr67j8o5id0p2cqqb@4ax.com>, max. it
<max@tea.time> writes
>On Sat, 09 Sep 2023 21:31:22 +0100, max.it <max@tea.time> wrote:
>

>>On May 4th this international footballer was scoring and winning in
>>the FA cup final, by June 29th he was playing premier league cricket.
>>

>>max.it
>

>https://stats.acscricket.com/Archive/Players/334/334974/Liverpool_Premie
>r_League_Matches.html
>
>max.it

Would SD Heighway be Steve Heighway? I vaguely remember the name. But I
think it would have been fairer to put "premier league" in quotes as,
whatever the competition may have called itself, it's not what most
people would think of as "premier". Indeed I'd never even heard of it.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed

Re: Another FA cup / cricket question

<s78sfid83bp6hqkgqhnarcht9r42tlvuli@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28466&group=uk.sport.cricket#28466

From: max@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 21:12:51 +0100
 by: max.it - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 20:12 UTC

On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 20:08:59 +0100, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <d4rrfip9mmrv8fdj9fr67j8o5id0p2cqqb@4ax.com>, max. it
><max@tea.time> writes
>>On Sat, 09 Sep 2023 21:31:22 +0100, max.it <max@tea.time> wrote:
>>

>>>On May 4th this international footballer was scoring and winning in
>>>the FA cup final, by June 29th he was playing premier league cricket.
>>>

>>>max.it
>>

>>https://stats.acscricket.com/Archive/Players/334/334974/Liverpool_Premie
>>r_League_Matches.html
>>
>>max.it
>
>Would SD Heighway be Steve Heighway? I vaguely remember the name. But I
>think it would have been fairer to put "premier league" in quotes as,
>whatever the competition may have called itself, it's not what most
>people would think of as "premier". Indeed I'd never even heard of it.

Yup, Liverpool and Ireland. His Father played for YMCA in Dublin
before returning to England. That's why Steve played for the republic.

Single innings matches; it's hard to have any idea what level they
were, some of the score cards read like ye olden days with lots of
single figure scores and the odd ton or heap of wickets by a better
player or maybe just a player.

max.it

Re: Another FA cup / cricket question

<km7o16FtibqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28467&group=uk.sport.cricket#28467

From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 06:48:22 +0100
 by: David North - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 05:48 UTC

On 10/09/2023 20:08, John Hall wrote:
> In message <d4rrfip9mmrv8fdj9fr67j8o5id0p2cqqb@4ax.com>, max. it
> <max@tea.time> writes
>> On Sat, 09 Sep 2023 21:31:22 +0100, max.it <max@tea.time> wrote:
>>

>>> On May 4th this international footballer was scoring and winning in
>>> the FA cup final, by June 29th he was playing premier league cricket.
>>>

>>> max.it
>>

>> https://stats.acscricket.com/Archive/Players/334/334974/Liverpool_Premie
>> r_League_Matches.html
>>
>> max.it
>
> Would SD Heighway be Steve Heighway? I vaguely remember the name. But I
> think it would have been fairer to put "premier league" in quotes as,
> whatever the competition may have called itself, it's not what most
> people would think of as "premier". Indeed I'd never even heard of it.

It calls itself the Liverpool and District Cricket Competition, and is
now an ECB Premier League, which is presumably why the heading is
"Liverpool Premier League Matches". I don't think any league would have
called itself "Premier" in 1974; that was even before Scottish football
had a Premier Division (1975/76).

--
David North

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: Another FA cup / cricket question