I used to be disgusted, now I find I'm just amused. -- Elvis Costello

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Self-entitled Chav-Cyclist: "It'll hurt if I hit you"

SubjectAuthor
* Self-entitled Cyclist: "It'll hurt if I hit you"Spike
+* Re: Self-entitled Cyclist: "It'll hurt if I hit you"Brian
|`- Re: Self-entitled Chav-on-a-bike: "It'll hurt if I hit you"JNugent
`* Re: Self-entitled Chav-Cyclist: "It'll hurt if I hit you"JNugent
 `* Re: Self-entitled Chav-Cyclist: "It'll hurt if I hit you"Peter Keller
  `- Re: Self-entitled Chav-Cyclist: "It'll hurt if I hit you"JNugent

1
Self-entitled Cyclist: "It'll hurt if I hit you"

<kcukrbFl5vnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28443&group=uk.rec.cycling#28443

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Self-entitled Cyclist: "It'll hurt if I hit you"
Date: 21 May 2023 13:32:27 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 21 May 2023 13:32 UTC

Imagine the manufactured anger if a driver said that to a cyclist! road.cc
would combust in its righteousness.

QUOTE: "What I do know is that I've had groups of kids deliberately take
time to cross the road in front of me, or deliberately step out in front of
me on my bike, forcing me to stop or swerve wildly. It's a game of chicken.
And, to some extent, intimidation, showing how hard they are by standing up
to the cyclist...

As for what the guy shouted, it's not that different from a phrase I often
use: "It'll hurt if I hit you". In a car, you wouldn't shout; you'd just
blast the horn. Most people will get out of the way of a car, but they
don't see a bike as a physical threat, so may not bother." ENDS

--
Spike

Re: Self-entitled Cyclist: "It'll hurt if I hit you"

<u4daba$1kcmc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28444&group=uk.rec.cycling#28444

From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Self-entitled Cyclist: "It'll hurt if I hit you"
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 14:37:30 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ELebQJ1++1da98S2rQl+PaJFPzo=
 by: Brian - Sun, 21 May 2023 14:37 UTC

Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:

> Imagine the manufactured anger if a driver said that to a cyclist! road.cc
> would combust in its righteousness.
>
> QUOTE: "What I do know is that I've had groups of kids deliberately take
> time to cross the road in front of me, or deliberately step out in front of
> me on my bike, forcing me to stop or swerve wildly. It's a game of chicken.
> And, to some extent, intimidation, showing how hard they are by standing up
> to the cyclist...
>
> As for what the guy shouted, it's not that different from a phrase I often
> use: "It'll hurt if I hit you". In a car, you wouldn't shout; you'd just
> blast the horn. Most people will get out of the way of a car, but they
> don't see a bike as a physical threat, so may not bother." ENDS

We’ve recently seen how innocent pedestrians are treated when inconsiderate
cyclists intimate them and put them in fear of their life.

Re: Self-entitled Chav-Cyclist: "It'll hurt if I hit you"

<kcupc7Flr79U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28445&group=uk.rec.cycling#28445

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Self-entitled Chav-Cyclist: "It'll hurt if I hit you"
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 15:49:42 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 21 May 2023 14:49 UTC

On 21/05/2023 02:32 pm, Spike wrote:

> Imagine the manufactured anger if a driver said that to a cyclist! road.cc
> would combust in its righteousness.
>
> QUOTE: "What I do know is that I've had groups of kids deliberately take
> time to cross the road in front of me, or deliberately step out in front of
> me on my bike, forcing me to stop or swerve wildly. It's a game of chicken.
> And, to some extent, intimidation, showing how hard they are by standing up
> to the cyclist...
>
> As for what the guy shouted, it's not that different from a phrase I often
> use: "It'll hurt if I hit you". In a car, you wouldn't shout; you'd just
> blast the horn. Most people will get out of the way of a car, but they
> don't see a bike as a physical threat, so may not bother." ENDS

That might be what that writer says, but the vast majority of drivers
simply STOP when a pedestrian - especially a child - runs out into the
road, deliberately or otherwise.

It happened to me on my driving test. The examiner banged his head on
the windscreen (this was a 1959 car with no seatbelts). I passed that
test (my first and only).

Re: Self-entitled Chav-on-a-bike: "It'll hurt if I hit you"

<kcupdhFlr79U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28446&group=uk.rec.cycling#28446

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Self-entitled Chav-on-a-bike: "It'll hurt if I hit you"
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 15:50:25 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 21 May 2023 14:50 UTC

On 21/05/2023 03:37 pm, Brian wrote:

> Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Imagine the manufactured anger if a driver said that to a cyclist! road.cc
>> would combust in its righteousness.
>>
>> QUOTE: "What I do know is that I've had groups of kids deliberately take
>> time to cross the road in front of me, or deliberately step out in front of
>> me on my bike, forcing me to stop or swerve wildly. It's a game of chicken.
>> And, to some extent, intimidation, showing how hard they are by standing up
>> to the cyclist...
>>
>> As for what the guy shouted, it's not that different from a phrase I often
>> use: "It'll hurt if I hit you". In a car, you wouldn't shout; you'd just
>> blast the horn. Most people will get out of the way of a car, but they
>> don't see a bike as a physical threat, so may not bother." ENDS
>>

> We’ve recently seen how innocent pedestrians are treated when inconsiderate
> cyclists intimate them and put them in fear of their life.

+1.

Re: Self-entitled Chav-Cyclist: "It'll hurt if I hit you"

<u4fbmm$24ivo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28508&group=uk.rec.cycling#28508

From: muzhmuzh@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 21:12:54 +1200
 by: Peter Keller - Mon, 22 May 2023 09:12 UTC

On 22/05/23 02:49, JNugent wrote:
> On 21/05/2023 02:32 pm, Spike wrote:
>>
>> Imagine the manufactured anger if a driver said that to a cyclist!
>> road.cc
>> would combust in its righteousness.
>>
>> QUOTE: "What I do know is that I've had groups of kids deliberately take
>> time to cross the road in front of me, or deliberately step out in
>> front of
>> me on my bike, forcing me to stop or swerve wildly. It's a game of
>> chicken.
>> And, to some extent, intimidation, showing how hard they are by
>> standing up
>> to the cyclist...
>>
>> As for what the guy shouted, it's not that different from a phrase I
>> often
>> use: "It'll hurt if I hit you". In a car, you wouldn't shout; you'd just
>> blast the horn. Most people will get out of the way of a car, but they
>> don't see a bike as a physical threat, so may not bother." ENDS
>
> That might be what that writer says, but the vast majority of drivers
> simply STOP when a pedestrian - especially a child - runs out into the
> road, deliberately or otherwise.
>
> It happened to me on my driving test. The examiner banged his head on
> the windscreen (this was a 1959 car with no seatbelts). I passed that
> test (my first and only).

I don't have a horn but I do have a loud voice, a bell and brakes.

Where is simple human decency and consideration these days? I'd rather
live with friends than enemies.

Re: Self-entitled Chav-Cyclist: "It'll hurt if I hit you"

<kd1bkoF3f5nU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28533&group=uk.rec.cycling#28533

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 15:13:44 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 22 May 2023 14:13 UTC

On 22/05/2023 10:12 am, Peter Keller wrote:
> On 22/05/23 02:49, JNugent wrote:
>> On 21/05/2023 02:32 pm, Spike wrote:
>>>
>>> Imagine the manufactured anger if a driver said that to a cyclist!
>>> road.cc
>>> would combust in its righteousness.
>>>
>>> QUOTE: "What I do know is that I've had groups of kids deliberately take
>>> time to cross the road in front of me, or deliberately step out in
>>> front of
>>> me on my bike, forcing me to stop or swerve wildly. It's a game of
>>> chicken.
>>> And, to some extent, intimidation, showing how hard they are by
>>> standing up
>>> to the cyclist...
>>>
>>> As for what the guy shouted, it's not that different from a phrase I
>>> often
>>> use: "It'll hurt if I hit you". In a car, you wouldn't shout; you'd just
>>> blast the horn. Most people will get out of the way of a car, but they
>>> don't see a bike as a physical threat, so may not bother." ENDS
>>
>> That might be what that writer says, but the vast majority of drivers
>> simply STOP when a pedestrian - especially a child - runs out into the
>> road, deliberately or otherwise.
>>
>> It happened to me on my driving test. The examiner banged his head on
>> the windscreen (this was a 1959 car with no seatbelts). I passed that
>> test (my first and only).
>
> I don't have a horn but I do have a loud voice, a bell and brakes.
>
> Where is simple human decency and consideration these days? I'd rather
> live with friends than enemies.

Well said.