One is not born a woman, one becomes one. -- Simone de Beauvoir

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Bolton: Driver reported after cyclist suffers 'serious injuries'

SubjectAuthor
* Bolton: Driver reported after cyclist suffers 'serious injuries'swldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Bolton: Driver reported after cyclist suffers 'serious injuries'Spike
+- Re: Bolton: Driver reported after cyclist suffers 'serious injuries'JNugent
`- Re: Bolton: Driver reported after cyclist suffers 'serious injuries'swldx...@gmail.com

1
Bolton: Driver reported after cyclist suffers 'serious injuries'

<81daf327-a656-4933-9a33-91e9a202055bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28659&group=uk.rec.cycling#28659

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 11:30:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Bolton: Driver reported after cyclist suffers 'serious injuries'
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 23 May 2023 18:30 UTC

A cyclist has suffered serious injuries after a crash in Bolton.

Officers from Greater Manchester Police’s traffic division were called to a busy roundabout in the town.

Police say the driver of white Mercedes passed too close to a cyclist and has been reported.

A GMP spokesperson said :”This resulted in serious injuries for the cyclist.“CCTV shows that no wide berth was given.”

The driver has been reported for driving without due care and attention.

Police have urged motorists to give other road users space.

The investigation comes shortly after Greater Manchester Police launched a new operation aimed a reducing the hundreds of cycling related crashes on the roads.

The Operation Close Pass initiative came after figures showed that between March last year and February this year there were 448 crashes involving an injury on a bike in Greater Manchester.

As part of this officers from the Traffic Unit will cycle on the streets to identify drivers who fail to keep to the safe passing distance of the Highway Code which is one and a half metres.

After they are identified a police patrol will be called in to intercept the driver and advice them about how to overtake in a safe manner.

Those who refused to do so will be charged with careless driving which would result in them being given a fine and points on their licence.

GMP Superintendent Gareth Parkin said: “It is really important that we keep getting the message out there to road users of how dangerous it can be and how vulnerable people on pedal cycles can feel when they are out on the roads.

“So you will be seeing more of these Close Pass operations across Greater Manchester, we are looking at hotspot locations, we will be reviewing our information and intelligence, and also talking to local communities about where they would like to see these operations.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/23542643.bolton-driver-reported-cyclist-suffers-serious-injuries/

Re: Bolton: Driver reported after cyclist suffers 'serious injuries'

<kd4qiqFjqtgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28663&group=uk.rec.cycling#28663

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 23 May 2023 21:47:06 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 23 May 2023 21:47 UTC

JJ
Police: 3000 burglaries a day NFA

Due to lack of resources the police in E&W are closing more than a million
cases of burglary and theft every year with NFA after the initial report.

This is the time to ask the question as to whether the police can afford to
follow up on ‘cases’ where a driver has not collided with a cyclist.

Freeing up these officers would mean they could be deployed on at least a
basic follow-up to a report of a burglary or theft report, as it is known
that once burgled, the chances of a repeat of the crime is a staggering
25%, and effective action can be taken to mitigate against this, especially
when police officer offers advice on countermeasures. At present,
conviction rates are very low.

It’s time the police stopped pussy-footing about with non-crimes like
‘close passes’ and tackled real issues.

Free up those officers! Bang up the burglars!

--
Spike

Re: Bolton: Driver reported after cyclist suffers 'serious injuries'

<kd544lFl6k2U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28664&group=uk.rec.cycling#28664

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 01:30:13 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 24 May 2023 00:30 UTC

> A cyclist has suffered serious injuries after a crash in Bolton.
> Officers from Greater Manchester Police’s traffic division were called to a busy roundabout in the town.
> Police say the driver of white Mercedes passed too close to a cyclist and has been reported.

Has the Bolton "News" got something against the indefinite [look it up,
Mason] article?

> A GMP spokesperson said :”This resulted in serious injuries for the cyclist.“CCTV shows that no wide berth was given.”
> The driver has been reported for driving without due care and attention.

What "crash" was that, then?

> Police have urged motorists to give other road users space.
> The investigation comes shortly after Greater Manchester Police launched a new operation aimed a reducing the hundreds of cycling related crashes on the roads.
> The Operation Close Pass initiative came after figures showed that between March last year and February this year there were 448 crashes involving an injury on a bike in Greater Manchester.
> As part of this officers from the Traffic Unit will cycle on the streets to identify drivers who fail to keep to the safe passing distance of the Highway Code which is one and a half metres.
> After they are identified a police patrol will be called in to intercept the driver and advice them about how to overtake in a safe manner.
> Those who refused to do so will be charged with careless driving which would result in them being given a fine and points on their licence.
> GMP Superintendent Gareth Parkin said: “It is really important that we keep getting the message out there to road users of how dangerous it can be and how vulnerable people on pedal cycles can feel when they are out on the roads.
> “So you will be seeing more of these Close Pass operations across Greater Manchester, we are looking at hotspot locations, we will be reviewing our information and intelligence, and also talking to local communities about where they would like to see these operations.”

> https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/23542643.bolton-driver-reported-cyclist-suffers-serious-injuries/

Re: Bolton: Driver reported after cyclist suffers 'serious injuries'

<da6e660c-1114-49c9-91c6-4f52fbc65be2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28670&group=uk.rec.cycling#28670

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 21:33:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 24 May 2023 04:33 UTC

QUOTE: > After they are identified a police patrol will be called in to intercept the driver and advice them about how to overtake in a safe manner.

> Those who refused to do so will be charged with careless driving which would result in them being given a fine and points on their licence ENDS

Excellent news - these morons need to be taught a lesson with real penalties for their idiotic "driving".