Nonsense. Space is blue and birds fly through it. -- Heisenberg

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / James Coles of Sussex scored three 100s ....

SubjectAuthor
* James Coles of Sussex scored three 100s ....Robert Henderson
+* James Coles of Sussex scored three 100s ....John Hall
|`* James Coles of Sussex scored three 100s ....mike
| `* James Coles of Sussex scored three 100s ....David North
|  `- James Coles of Sussex scored three 100s ....John Hall
`- James Coles of Sussex scored three 100s ....FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer

1
James Coles of Sussex scored three 100s ....

<8696d959-a646-4731-8a70-14ce8cd61b00n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28730&group=uk.sport.cricket#28730

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 10:22:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: James Coles of Sussex scored three 100s ....
From: anywhere156@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 17:22 UTC

....in the Championship this year whilst still a teenager - he is still 19 years and 179 days .

Is this a record?

RH

Re: James Coles of Sussex scored three 100s ....

<95gWdID0YeFlFwjT@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28731&group=uk.sport.cricket#28731

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: James Coles of Sussex scored three 100s ....
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 21:46:44 +0100
 by: John Hall - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 20:46 UTC

In message <8696d959-a646-4731-8a70-14ce8cd61b00n@googlegroups.com>,
Robert Henderson <anywhere156@gmail.com> writes
>...in the Championship this year whilst still a teenager - he is
>still 19 years and 179 days .
>
>Is this a record?
>
>RH

I looked up Jack Crawford, who scored 2 centuries in 1905 and 1 in 1906,
and had his 20th birthday on 1st December, 1906. But it's too much work
to see if he was younger than Coles when he scored his third hundred.

Denis Compton scored 1 hundred in 1936, 3 in 1937 and 5 in 1938. His
20th birthday was 23rd May 1938. So it looks as if he would have been
younger than Coles when he scored his third ton, and he had made at
least 4 and possibly more before he was 20. So he may have been the most
prolific youthful prodigy among English cricketers. (I imagine some
Indian and Pakistani batsmen may have made more centuries at a younger
age - though some of their dates of birth may be open to dispute.)
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed

Re: James Coles of Sussex scored three 100s ....

<3d13e77a-b338-41f4-b1cc-f63c98558db3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28732&group=uk.sport.cricket#28732

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:19:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 22:19 UTC

On Thursday, September 28, 2023 at 9:50:35 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <8696d959-a646-4731...@googlegroups.com>,
> Robert Henderson <anywh...@gmail.com> writes
> >...in the Championship this year whilst still a teenager - he is
> >still 19 years and 179 days .
> >
> >Is this a record?
> >
> >RH
> >
> I looked up Jack Crawford, who scored 2 centuries in 1905 and 1 in 1906,
> and had his 20th birthday on 1st December, 1906. But it's too much work
> to see if he was younger than Coles when he scored his third hundred.
>
> Denis Compton scored 1 hundred in 1936, 3 in 1937 and 5 in 1938. His
> 20th birthday was 23rd May 1938. So it looks as if he would have been
> younger than Coles when he scored his third ton, and he had made at
> least 4 and possibly more before he was 20. So he may have been the most
> prolific youthful prodigy among English cricketers. (I imagine some
> Indian and Pakistani batsmen may have made more centuries at a younger
> age - though some of their dates of birth may be open to dispute.)

my memory doesnt go back that far, but i expect your right about Compton.

however if its just a season, i think rew the ginger wonder may have scored
4 this summer, and hes still 19. I think lawrence had the record for the
youngest in the CC some years ago, and before him sibley made a double
for surrey when he was still at school. so the record may lie with 1 of them
now. However in the wider world, i expect its someone in asia, cos didnt
tendulkar make his first 100 when he was 15?

mike

Re: James Coles of Sussex scored three 100s ....

<knn0k1Fk4duU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28734&group=uk.sport.cricket#28734

From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 05:03:13 +0100
 by: David North - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 04:03 UTC

On 28/09/2023 23:19, mike wrote:
> On Thursday, September 28, 2023 at 9:50:35 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <8696d959-a646-4731...@googlegroups.com>,
>> Robert Henderson <anywh...@gmail.com> writes
>>> ...in the Championship this year whilst still a teenager - he is
>>> still 19 years and 179 days .
>>>
>>> Is this a record?
>>>
>>> RH
>>>
>> I looked up Jack Crawford, who scored 2 centuries in 1905 and 1 in 1906,
>> and had his 20th birthday on 1st December, 1906. But it's too much work
>> to see if he was younger than Coles when he scored his third hundred.

It was on the 19th June, so he was about 3 weeks older.

>> Denis Compton scored 1 hundred in 1936, 3 in 1937

One of those was for MCC v OU

>> and 5 in 1938. His
>> 20th birthday was 23rd May 1938. So it looks as if he would have been
>> younger than Coles when he scored his third ton,

His 3rd in FC matches was on 17th July 1937, and his 3rd in CC was on
26th August, so he was younger than Coles.

>> and he had made at
>> least 4 and possibly more before he was 20.

5 in the CC and 7 FC in total

>> So he may have been the most
>> prolific youthful prodigy among English cricketers. (I imagine some
>> Indian and Pakistani batsmen may have made more centuries at a younger
>> age - though some of their dates of birth may be open to dispute.)
>
> my memory doesnt go back that far, but i expect your right about Compton.
>
> however if its just a season, i think rew the ginger wonder may have scored
> 4 this summer, and hes still 19.

He has made 5 this season, plus 1 last year. He was 2 days older than
Coles was yesterday when he made the last of those.

> I think lawrence had the record for the
> youngest in the CC some years ago, and before him sibley made a double
> for surrey when he was still at school. so the record may lie with 1 of them
> now.

Lawrence was 19 and 2 days when he made his 3rd, and made 6 before he
was 20, so equal with Rew on that score (and one more than Ben Stokes).

Sibley was 18 and 20 days when he made his 200, but didn't make another
100 in FC cricket until he was 21, and in the CC until he was 22.

> However in the wider world, i expect its someone in asia, cos didnt
> tendulkar make his first 100 when he was 15?

Yes. He made 13 FC centuries, including 5 in Tests, before he was 20.

The ACS lists 100s by players who were under 19 at the start of the match.

https://stats.acscricket.com/Records/First_Class/Overall/Batting/Youngest_Batter_to_Score_Hundred.html

The most appearances on the list is 9, by Tendulkar, Mushtaq Mohammad
and Hasan Raza.

--
David North

Re: James Coles of Sussex scored three 100s ....

<ZeovUeAVJpFlFw1x@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28736&group=uk.sport.cricket#28736

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 10:01:09 +0100
 by: John Hall - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 09:01 UTC

In message <knn0k1Fk4duU1@mid.individual.net>, David North
<nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes

Thanks for all your work, David.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed
its sober climb, until it had another fit of steps."
Ursula K Le Guin "The Beginning Place"

Re: James Coles of Sussex scored three 100s ....

<uf7222$cnt0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28737&group=uk.sport.cricket#28737

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 10:38:10 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 17:38 UTC

On 9/28/2023 10:22 AM, Robert Henderson wrote:
> ...in the Championship this year whilst still a teenager - he is still 19 years and 179 days .
>
> Is this a record?
>
> RH

Robert Henderson and 99% westerners will NEVER ACCEPT these PURE FACTS.

West NEVER HAD "ANY" VALUES.

Western "values"
https://twitter.com/DanielDumbrill/status/1707312709782716795