Hmmm ... an arrogant bouquet with a subtle suggestion of POLYVINYL CHLORIDE ...

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

SubjectAuthor
* Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess ofswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess ofJNugent
+* Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess ofswldx...@gmail.com
|+* Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escortingSpike
||`* Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess ofJNugent
|| `- Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escortingSpike
|+* Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess ofswldx...@gmail.com
||+- Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escortingSpike
||`* Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess ofswldx...@gmail.com
|| `* Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess ofswldx...@gmail.com
||  +- Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escortingSpike
||  `* Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess ofswldx...@gmail.com
||   `- Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escortingSpike
|`* Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess ofswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escortingSpike
`- Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess ofswldx...@gmail.com

1
Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<9cb7cb85-3e86-4860-bcf8-f33147e6451fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28518&group=uk.rec.cycling#28518

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 04:04:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of
Edinburgh remains in critical condition
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 22 May 2023 11:04 UTC

A great-grandmother hit by a police motorcycle escorting Sophie, Duchess of Edinburgh remains in a critical condition in hospital - as investigators appeal for witnesses to come forward.

The motorbike collided with Helen Holland, 81, from Essex, at around 3.21pm at the junction of Cromwell Road and Warwick Road in west London last Wednesday, May 10.

Police watchdog the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) began an independent probe after investigators attended the scene alongside emergency services, when the woman was taken to hospital.

She remains in a critical but stable condition, police confirmed.

An eyewitness last week said Ms Holland was 'thrown 40 feet across the road' after being struck by a motorbike. Family members described Mrs Holland as a 'beautiful, loving, kind and caring lady who would always put anyone before herself', in a statement shared with Sky News last week.

Ms Holland's family were said at the time to be 'deeply saddened and shocked' by the news she had been so seriously injured in the collision.

They stated: 'Helen may be 81 years old but she is sprightly for her age and nothing stopped her living life to the full, spending precious time with her family, muddy walks with the dogs and lunches with friends is what she enjoyed most.'

Ms Holland, a mother-of-four, grandmother-of-ten and great-grandmother of even, was also described as a 'well-respected and popular' member of the community.

Her family added: 'The outpour of love and support the family have received from those that know her is hugely appreciated.

'We are all praying for a miracle and ask that you keep her in your thoughts and prayers too.'

Speaking last Friday, Ms Holland's son Martin and daughter-in-law Lisa Marie said they were 'shocked and sickened' at her injuries.

They added: 'She is being well cared for by the who we must thank deeply.'

Buckingham Palace released a statement last Thursday saying the Duchess of Edinburgh was 'grateful for the swift response of emergency services and will keep abreast of developments'.

They added that further comments would not be appropriate while the investigation is ongoing.

Eyewitness Martin Hennessy, 62 last week claimed that black screens placed around a square brick electricity unit close to the crossing, as part of attempts to 'decorate' the area for the Coronation, meant pedestrians were unable to see oncoming traffic.

He told MailOnline: 'This was an accident waiting to happen. The screens had been put up for the coronation, but it meant that you had to step out a bit into the road to see any traffic.

'I was there soon after it happened and it was carnage. The poor lady was flung about 40ft along the road and paramedics were attending to her. She stepped out a bit to peer around the screens and was hit.'

He added: 'There have been a lot of near misses there recently because of those screens but getting across that road is dangerous at the best of times because it's so busy.'

Local residents revealed that they had complained about the black screens to the local authority after they were placed there ahead of the coronation. They have been taken down following the crash.

Pictures taken at the scene last Wednesday show a Special Escort Group police bike - commonly used to escort royals and high profile government officials - inside a police cordon surrounded by medical equipment.

IOPC regional director Amanda Rowe said: 'Our thoughts are with the woman, who has sustained life-threatening injuries, and her family.

'We have been in touch with them to explain our role and will keep them regularly updated as the investigation progresses.

'While some witnesses to the collision have been identified, it's important that as part of our enquiries we speak with anyone who witnessed or recorded any part of this incident to help us establish the full circumstances.'

The watchdog said CCTV from nearby properties and police body camera footage will be examined in the investigation, as well as accounts from officers involved and witnesses to the collision.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12103575/Great-grandmother-81-hit-police-bike-escorting-Duchess-Edinburgh-critical-condition.html

Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<kd13ioF2agdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28519&group=uk.rec.cycling#28519

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Edinburgh remains in critical condition
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 12:56:08 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 22 May 2023 11:56 UTC

> [...]
> IOPC regional director Amanda Rowe said: 'Our thoughts are with the woman, who has sustained life-threatening injuries, and her family.
> 'We have been in touch with them to explain our role and will keep them regularly updated as the investigation progresses.
> 'While some witnesses to the collision have been identified, it's important that as part of our enquiries we speak with anyone who witnessed or recorded any part of this incident to help us establish the full circumstances.'
> The watchdog said CCTV from nearby properties and police body camera footage will be examined in the investigation, as well as accounts from officers involved and witnesses to the collision.

A horrific traffic accident, certainly.

But what has it to do with chavs-on-fairy-cycles such as Mad Mason?

Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<0706382c-5c6f-4a06-8df3-39bd1647e60cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28521&group=uk.rec.cycling#28521

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 06:13:55 -0700 (PDT)
Edinburgh remains in critical condition
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 22 May 2023 13:13 UTC

All of the gammon flagshaggers would not have helped with visibility as well.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwvCuaVX0AAF4t9?format=jpg&name=medium

Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<kd1ahdF3c9aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28524&group=uk.rec.cycling#28524

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting
Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition
Date: 22 May 2023 13:54:53 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 22 May 2023 13:54 UTC

> All of the gammon flagshaggers would not have helped with visibility as well.

Would you like a link to Gammon swivels?

> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwvCuaVX0AAF4t9?format=jpg&name=medium

Supposition:
Giving you the answer you want, 24/7/365

--
Spike

Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<kd1b9nF3f5nU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28529&group=uk.rec.cycling#28529

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Edinburgh remains in critical condition
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 15:07:50 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 22 May 2023 14:07 UTC

On 22/05/2023 02:54 pm, Spike wrote:

> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> All of the gammon flagshaggers would not have helped with visibility as well.
>
> Would you like a link to Gammon swivels?
>
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwvCuaVX0AAF4t9?format=jpg&name=medium
>
> Supposition:
> Giving you the answer you want, 24/7/365

It's not supposition he needs.

It's a suppository.

Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<kd1cb8F3ll5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28538&group=uk.rec.cycling#28538

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition
Date: 22 May 2023 14:25:44 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 22 May 2023 14:25 UTC

JNugent <jenningsandco@mail.com> wrote:
> On 22/05/2023 02:54 pm, Spike wrote:
>
>> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> All of the gammon flagshaggers would not have helped with visibility as well.
>>
>> Would you like a link to Gammon swivels?
>>
>>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwvCuaVX0AAF4t9?format=jpg&name=medium
>>
>> Supposition:
>> Giving you the answer you want, 24/7/365
>
> It's not supposition he needs.
>
> It's a suppository.

LOL

--
Spike

Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<a27dabd4-72db-452b-ad13-e7762aa6f84fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28547&group=uk.rec.cycling#28547

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 08:24:36 -0700 (PDT)
Edinburgh remains in critical condition
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 22 May 2023 15:24 UTC

On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 2:13:57 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> All of the gammon flagshaggers would not have helped with visibility as well.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwvCuaVX0AAF4t9?format=jpg&name=medium

These stupid flag wavers should be shot.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwvgroWWcAAk_Cn?format=jpg&name=medium

Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<kd1kckF4roaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28563&group=uk.rec.cycling#28563

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition
Date: 22 May 2023 16:43:00 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 22 May 2023 16:43 UTC

> On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 2:13:57 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> All of the gammon flagshaggers would not have helped with visibility as well.
>>
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwvCuaVX0AAF4t9?format=jpg&name=medium
>
> These stupid flag wavers should be shot.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwvgroWWcAAk_Cn?format=jpg&name=medium

So you’re no fan of democracy, then?

Quelle surprise.

--
Spike

Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<5fa309fb-7faa-46b3-9e9d-fa17b474ce28n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28571&group=uk.rec.cycling#28571

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 11:08:46 -0700 (PDT)
Edinburgh remains in critical condition
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 22 May 2023 18:08 UTC

On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 4:24:37 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, May 22, 2023 at 2:13:57 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > All of the gammon flagshaggers would not have helped with visibility as well.

A brextard with ambition!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwwGQqDWIAoCq2k?format=jpg&name=small

Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<u4hnfs$2fnd3$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28591&group=uk.rec.cycling#28591

From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 06:46:21 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:5PqSRPqlVWGon5zgRSUVhGXXJSE=
 by: Brian - Tue, 23 May 2023 06:46 UTC

> [...]
>> police bike - commonly used to escort royals and high profile government
>> officials - inside a police cordon surrounded by medical equipment.
>> IOPC regional director Amanda Rowe said: 'Our thoughts are with the
>> woman, who has sustained life-threatening injuries, and her family.
>> 'We have been in touch with them to explain our role and will keep them
>> regularly updated as the investigation progresses.
>> 'While some witnesses to the collision have been identified, it's
>> important that as part of our enquiries we speak with anyone who
>> witnessed or recorded any part of this incident to help us establish the
>> full circumstances.'
>> The watchdog said CCTV from nearby properties and police body camera
>> footage will be examined in the investigation, as well as accounts from
>> officers involved and witnesses to the collision.

The victim was on a pedestrian crossing.

The photos show where she landed after being hit and thrown across the
road.

All so someone wasn’t late for tea.

Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<acaa525f-fec7-4e90-b774-32fa757ab5c7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28599&group=uk.rec.cycling#28599

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 01:57:16 -0700 (PDT)
Edinburgh remains in critical condition
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 23 May 2023 08:57 UTC

More morons blocking the view.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwzRoWgWwAI2R5q?format=jpg&name=small

Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<kd3ih9FdrsoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28605&group=uk.rec.cycling#28605

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Edinburgh remains in critical condition
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 11:23:37 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 23 May 2023 10:23 UTC

On 23/05/2023 07:46 am, Brian wrote:
> [...]
>>> woman, who has sustained life-threatening injuries, and her family.
>>> 'We have been in touch with them to explain our role and will keep them
>>> regularly updated as the investigation progresses.
>>> 'While some witnesses to the collision have been identified, it's
>>> important that as part of our enquiries we speak with anyone who
>>> witnessed or recorded any part of this incident to help us establish the
>>> full circumstances.'
>>> The watchdog said CCTV from nearby properties and police body camera
>>> footage will be examined in the investigation, as well as accounts from
>>> officers involved and witnesses to the collision.
>>>
>>> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12103575/Great-grandmother-81-hit-police-bike-escorting-Duchess-Edinburgh-critical-condition.html
>>
>> A horrific traffic accident, certainly.
>
> The victim was on a pedestrian crossing.

Just to be clear: there is no zebra crossing at that junction.

See: <https://tinyurl.com/mvj6rxvd>

The pelicon facility (W Cromwell Road side) will be therefore linked
with, and controlled by, the junction's traffic lights. So assuming they
were not switched off, someone disobeyed a red traffic light.

The bit I read (somewhere) was that her entry onto the crossing was
masked by temporary barriers - and pedestrians could not see approaching
traffic while drivers could not see approaching pedestrians - until she
actually appeared on the carriageway.

Obviously, either the access from the footway at that point should have
been completely blocked (for the duration) or the barriers should not
have been erected until the last moment (no matter how awkward that
might have been logistically).

> The photos show where she landed after being hit and thrown across the
> road.

I didn't see such a photo at the URL provided above.

> All so someone wasn’t late for tea.

If there's anything at all to be thankful for, and it's not much, it's
that at least fortune smiled to the extent that it wasn't just some poor
ordinary sap on his way to work who would be prosecuted for dangerous
driving out of hand.

Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<kd3iqtFdt5dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28608&group=uk.rec.cycling#28608

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition
Date: 23 May 2023 10:28:45 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 23 May 2023 10:28 UTC

> More morons blocking the view.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwzRoWgWwAI2R5q?format=jpg&name=small

That photo has been inverted L-R.

--
Spike

Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<b82b0e77-6240-4c59-9158-e7b17d9914efn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28613&group=uk.rec.cycling#28613

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 04:00:54 -0700 (PDT)
Edinburgh remains in critical condition
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 23 May 2023 11:00 UTC

equaliser, london, United Kingdom, 4 days ago

There is no excuse for minor royals to have expensive police escorts while you cannot even see a policeman let alone get one to come to you if a crime has been commited.

Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<kd7eo1F1kveU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28757&group=uk.rec.cycling#28757

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition
Date: 24 May 2023 21:43:30 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 24 May 2023 21:43 UTC

> equaliser, london, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
>
> There is no excuse for minor royals to have expensive police escorts
> while you cannot even see a policeman let alone get one to come to you if
> a crime has been commited.

Well, if the police are processing thousands of so-called ’close passes’,
they don’t have time to spend on real crimes.

That’s what cyclists wanted, now they’ve got it.

Suck it up.

--
Spike

Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<57608c3b-6091-4cf8-93c3-dd547a8fd060n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28765&group=uk.rec.cycling#28765

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 21:58:04 -0700 (PDT)
Edinburgh remains in critical condition
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 25 May 2023 04:58 UTC

hamgar, Bristol, United Kingdom, 3 days ago

How strange to appeal for witnesses when the bike rider and cars must surely have dash cameras, or have these been mistakenly erased?

--------------------------------

Maybe they don't want video evidence from "sneaky" sources?
Tell Mikey about getting threatened by thugs in cars for filming their law breaking.

Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<kd8j57F6rtcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28769&group=uk.rec.cycling#28769

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition
Date: 25 May 2023 08:04:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 25 May 2023 08:04 UTC

> hamgar, Bristol, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
>
> How strange to appeal for witnesses when the bike rider and cars must
> surely have dash cameras, or have these been mistakenly erased?
>
> --------------------------------
>
> Maybe they don't want video evidence from "sneaky" sources?
> Tell Mikey about getting threatened by thugs in cars for filming their law breaking.

Mikey can certainly hold his own against intoxicated elderly pedestrians,
apparently by threatening to ‘put them on the ground’. Twice.

--
Spike

Re: Great-grandmother, 81, hit by police bike escorting Duchess of Edinburgh remains in critical condition

<643db019-adad-4193-9c73-b06dde6da0a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28775&group=uk.rec.cycling#28775

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 01:48:11 -0700 (PDT)
Edinburgh remains in critical condition
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 25 May 2023 08:48 UTC

A woman hit by a police motorcycle escorting Sophie, the Duchess of Edinburgh, through London has died.

The family of 81-year-old Helen Holland, from Birchanger in Essex, said she fought "for her life for nearly two weeks... but irreversible damage to her brain finally ended the battle".

Buckingham Palace said the duchess was "deeply saddened" and sent her "deepest condolences" to all the family.

The police watchdog is investigating the crash.

Ms Holland had been in London visiting her sister when she was struck at the junction of West Cromwell Road and Warwick Road in Earl's Court on 10 May.

Following the crash, her family said she was in a coma, and on Friday the police said she remained in a critical condition.

Announcing her death, her son, Martin Holland, said his mother had died after "suffering multiple broken bones and massive internal injuries".

Sophie, who is married to the King's youngest brother, will get in touch privately with Ms Holland's family.

She gained the title of Duchess of Edinburgh when her husband Prince Edward took on a new role in March.
Duchess of Edinburgh carrying umbrella at Windsor Horse Show, 12 May 2023Image source, PA Media

Chief Supt Richard Smith, head of the Metropolitan Police's Royalty and Specialist Protection Unit, said the "tragic outcome is being felt by colleagues across the Met" and "thoughts are very much with the woman's family and loved ones".

"Officers know that their actions, both on and off duty, are open to scrutiny and following our referral of the incident, the IOPC launched an independent investigation - we continue to co-operate with and support that inquiry," he said.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), which investigates the most serious incidents involving officers, said its inquiry was "at an early stage".

It issued a witness appeal last week and said it "would still like to hear from anyone who saw or recorded any part of this incident who is yet to speak to us".

The watchdog also said it had been in touch with Ms Holland's family to explain its role and would keep them updated on the investigation.

The duchess has recently returned from a two-day visit to Iraq's capital Baghdad where she met the country's leaders and visited a girls' school to hear from pupils about their education.