It's easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: 35 drivers caught with no seatbelt and five on their phone in just days as police launch crackdown

SubjectAuthor
* 35 drivers caught with no seatbelt and five on their phone in justswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: 35 drivers caught with no seatbelt and five on their phone inJNugent
`- Re: 35 drivers caught with no seatbelt and five on their phone inswldx...@gmail.com

1
35 drivers caught with no seatbelt and five on their phone in just days as police launch crackdown

<4cf23050-8715-41a3-9a69-0fc3654f0b25n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28802&group=uk.rec.cycling#28802

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 03:40:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 35 drivers caught with no seatbelt and five on their phone in just
days as police launch crackdown
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 25 May 2023 10:40 UTC

Over 60 vehicles were stopped last week by Humberside Police's Roads Policing Unit as part of a national initiative, Operation Tramline, to identify dangerous drivers committing road-related offences.

Working in partnership with National Highways, officers have been busy travelling across the region in an unmarked Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) monitoring other drivers in a bid to keep roads safe across our area. The unmarked HGV will next be utilised by police later this year in August.

Throughout the four days of intensive action, the team issued a total of 59 traffic offence reports among those they stopped. 35 of these reports were to drivers who were not wearing their seatbelt, nine for insecure loads and five were found to be using their mobile phone behind the wheel.

“By participating in Operation Tramline, this sees us using an unmarked HGV to spot drivers who are committing road offences. We record video footage of the offences, and colleagues in an accompanying marked vehicle are alerted to intercept the offending vehicle, pulling it over and dealing with the driver involved over any offences committed.

“We are committed in keeping the roads in our region as safe as possible. Those who break the law behind the wheel are putting lives at risk and we see on a daily basis the devastating effects these actions can have.”

The unmarked HGV will next be utilised by Humberside Police to catch dangerous drivers on the week commencing Monday, August 21. It will then return in mid-October, before being utilised again at the start of December.

If you have information about road traffic offences, you can call Humberside Police on 101 when it is safe to do so. Alternatively, you can report road traffic incidents via the Humberside Police website by clicking here.

Roads Policing Inspector, John Rickells said, “Nationally there has been an increase in the past three years of commercial vehicles being involved in fatal collisions.

“Commercial vehicles carry a significant risk of harm when the driver is not in proper control. Those driving whilst using a mobile phone, failing to comply with EU Driving Hours, or not wearing a seatbelt are an increased risk.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/35-drivers-caught-no-seatbelt-8467721

Re: 35 drivers caught with no seatbelt and five on their phone in just days as police launch crackdown

<kd8u7jF8fl1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28804&group=uk.rec.cycling#28804

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: 35 drivers caught with no seatbelt and five on their phone in
just days as police launch crackdown
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 12:13:56 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 25 May 2023 11:13 UTC

On 25/05/2023 11:40 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Over 60 vehicles were stopped last week by Humberside Police's Roads Policing Unit as part of a national initiative, Operation Tramline, to identify "dangerous" drivers committing road-related offences.

> Working in partnership with National Highways, officers have been busy travelling across the region in an unmarked Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) monitoring other drivers in a bid to keep roads safe across our area. The unmarked HGV will next be utilised by police later this year in August.
>
> Throughout the four days of intensive action, the team issued a total of 59 traffic offence reports among those they stopped. 35 of these reports were to drivers who were not wearing their seatbelt, nine for insecure loads and five were found to be using their mobile phone behind the wheel.
>
> “By participating in Operation Tramline, this sees us using an unmarked HGV to spot drivers who are committing road offences. We record video footage of the offences, and colleagues in an accompanying marked vehicle are alerted to intercept the offending vehicle, pulling it over and dealing with the driver involved over any offences committed.
>
> “We are committed in keeping the roads in our region as safe as possible. Those who break the law behind the wheel are putting lives at risk and we see on a daily basis the devastating effects these actions can have.”
>
> The unmarked HGV will next be utilised by Humberside Police to catch dangerous drivers on the week commencing Monday, August 21. It will then return in mid-October, before being utilised again at the start of December.
>
> If you have information about road traffic offences,

Does driving a motor vehicles for hundreds of miles with no working
windscreen wipers count?

> you can call Humberside Police on 101 when it is safe to do so. Alternatively, you can report road traffic incidents via the Humberside Police website by clicking here.
>
> Roads Policing Inspector, John Rickells said, “Nationally there has been an increase in the past three years of commercial vehicles being involved in fatal collisions.
>
> “Commercial vehicles carry a significant risk of harm when the driver is not in proper control. Those driving whilst using a mobile phone, failing to comply with EU Driving Hours, or not wearing a seatbelt are an increased risk.
>
> https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/35-drivers-caught-no-seatbelt-8467721

To whom is "not wearing a seatbelt" an "increased risk"?

The author *does* know that some people are exempt from the requirement
to use a seatbelt, yes?

And even that some vehicles are not required to have them fitted?

Re: 35 drivers caught with no seatbelt and five on their phone in just days as police launch crackdown

<2a6304da-33e5-4428-9fc6-fcb7f54bd248n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28808&group=uk.rec.cycling#28808

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 05:45:41 -0700 (PDT)
just days as police launch crackdown
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 25 May 2023 12:45 UTC

1 hr ago

Is that all, I see loads of driver's on phones daily. Come on Police you can do better than that.
WHEN THEY DO - THE "SAFE" SPEEDING DRIVERS BLEAT ABOUT IT BEING "UNFAIR".