QOTD: "What I like most about myself is that I'm so understanding when I mess things up."

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Dame Sarah Storey slams drivers who turn “a blind eye to yet another death”, asks for progress after three HGV crashes with cyclists in a day — two of them fatal

SubjectAuthor
* Dame Sarah Storey slams drivers who turn “a blind eye to yet another death”, askswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Dame Sarah Storey slams drivers who turn “aJNugent
+* Re: Dame Sarah Storey slams drivers who turn “a blswldx...@gmail.com

1
Dame Sarah Storey slams drivers who turn “a blind eye to yet another death”, asks for progress after three HGV crashes with cyclists in a day — two of them fatal

<b59b599e-b7c3-4be7-a249-925ef2b705a6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28810&group=uk.rec.cycling#28810

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 05:51:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Dame_Sarah_Storey_slams_drivers_who_turn_“a_blind_eye_to_yet_another_death”,_asks_for_progress_after_three_HGV_crashes_with_cyclists_in_a_day_—_two_of_them_fatal
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 25 May 2023 12:51 UTC

Dame Sarah Storey, Britain’s most-decorated Paralympian who’s now the active travel commissioner for Greater Manchester, has denounced drivers who dismissed a 19-year-old cyclist’s death after a collision with an HGV driver in Manchester, on a day which saw two more collisions between cyclists and lorry drivers — leaving one cyclist dead in London and another in Manchester “fighting for his life”.

Responding to the news of a crash which cost the cyclist his life in Great Bridgewater Street, off Deansgate around Wednesday midday, Storey said: “This news has knocked me sick. A road I use a lot and a regular route for many others cycling. The circumstances of the collision have not been released yet but when they are it’s vital the city region make progress to prevent it happening again.”

However, the crash for which a 55-year-old has now been arrested on the suspicion of careless driving, when reported by Manchester Evening News (link is external), invited toxic comments downplaying the tragic death and claiming that “cyclists shouldn’t be on this road”. The website has since last night closed off its comments section on the report to fend off such conversation.

Dame Sarah Storey, responding to those comments said: “Yes and those people making those comments are also likely to drive which makes the roads even more frightening. Deterrents to dangerous and anti-social behaviour in a vehicle are clearly not severe enough. Vehicles are potentially weapons, just like a knife or a gun.”

However, one person replied under Storey’s original tweet claiming that it was not a major cycle route and that an “accident like this will always see a driver arrested”.

In another reply, the person added: “You really do need to shut up. Great Bridgwater St IS NOT a major cycle route at all. There is a huge construction site at Viadux that has restricted road space & necessitated temporary lights.”

However, Storey, who before taking over Chris Boardman’s role in May 2022 had also served as the active travel commissioner for Sheffield for three years, said that the road doesn’t need to be a major route for people to care that a fatal crash doesn’t happen there again”.

She added: “This gentleman can’t seem to fathom that a road not being a major cycling route (in his opinion) somehow warrants a ‘turn a blind eye to yet another road death’ approach. Sorry to disappoint but I won’t keep quiet, people’s lives depend on it.”

The former cycling and swimming athlete with 17 gold medals in the Paralympic Games has been staunchly advocating for safer cycling and raising awareness about the dangers caused by reckless and inappropriate driving behaviours.

Earlier this week, we reported her calling out the “entitlement” of speeding drivers, as social media replies downplayed its subsequent risks after Met Police’s national lead of fatal collisions DCS Andy Cox noted that speeding was the leading cause of fatal crashes.

“Some of the responses and quote tweets on this statement, from a leading police expert, demonstrates perfectly the level of entitlement and subsequent risk posed by some drivers,” Storey wrote.

Cox had made these comments after the UK Home Secretary Suella Braverman got tangled up in a speeding controversy where she allegedly tried to arrange a private driver awareness course after she was caught speeding in order to avoid public scrutiny.

London Cycling Campaign criticised the former Attorney Genral from the Conservative Party for not only being caught speeding, but “attempting to dismiss that as an issue and often getting away with no real consequences”.

Just yesterday early morning, a cyclist was killed in a collision with a lorry being driven in central London. Commenting on the “devastating news”, the London Cycling Campaign said “yet again a tipper truck involved in a fatal collision with someone cycling”.

“It's too early yet for any clarity on why this collision happened — but incidents like this should be designed out of London. Our hearts go out to family and friends of the victim,” said the LCC.

The news of this crash came hours before Transport for London published its official road safety data for 2022, which showed that although cycling fatalities were down in the capital, the number of those seriously injured in collisions had risen.

And in more terrible news from Manchester, a man in his 30s suffered life-threatening injuries and was left “fighting for his life” after a collision with a lorry near Manchester Piccadilly yesterday afternoon, reported MEN (link is external).

Constable Oliver Batty from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit said: “We are appealing to members of public and other motorists who may have been travelling along Fairfield Street at the time of this collision.

“It is an extremely busy area of Manchester and any information, no matter how small, may assist the investigation. I appeal directly to anyone who may have witnessed this or to anyone who has dash-cam or CCTV footage relating to this incident.”

https://road.cc/content/news/dame-sarah-storey-slams-drivers-dismissing-cyclist-deaths-301463

Re: Dame Sarah Storey slams drivers who turn “a blind eye to yet another death”, asks for progress after three HGV crashes with cyclists in a day — two of them fatal

<kd94sjF9g39U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28811&group=uk.rec.cycling#28811

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Dame_Sarah_Storey_slams_drivers_who_turn_“a
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 14:07:33 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 25 May 2023 13:07 UTC

> Dame Sarah Storey, Britain’s most-decorated Paralympian who’s now the active travel commissioner for Greater Manchester, has denounced drivers who dismissed a 19-year-old cyclist’s death after a collision with an HGV driver in Manchester, on a day which saw two more collisions between cyclists and lorry drivers — leaving one cyclist dead in London and another in Manchester “fighting for his life”.

What does she mean, "dismissed"?

What does it have to do with other people, whether HGV drivers or anyone
else?

NB: The deceased did not collide with an HGV driver. He must have
collided with an HGV.

> Responding to the news of a crash which cost the cyclist his life in Great Bridgewater Street, off Deansgate around Wednesday midday, Storey said: “This news has knocked me sick. A road I use a lot and a regular route for many others cycling. The circumstances of the collision have not been released yet but...

....she's not going to let her lack of information inhibit her rant.

> when they are it’s vital the city region make progress to prevent it happening again.”
> However, the crash for which a 55-year-old has now been arrested on the suspicion of careless driving, when reported by Manchester Evening News (link is external), invited toxic comments downplaying the tragic death and claiming that “cyclists shouldn’t be on this road”. The website has since last night closed off its comments section on the report to fend off such conversation.
> Dame Sarah Storey, responding to those comments said: “Yes and those people making those comments are also likely to drive which makes the roads even more frightening. Deterrents to dangerous and anti-social behaviour in a vehicle are clearly not severe enough. Vehicles are potentially weapons, just like a knife or a gun.”
> However, one person replied under Storey’s original tweet claiming that it was not a major cycle route and that an “accident like this will always see a driver arrested”.
> In another reply, the person added: “You really do need to shut up. Great Bridgwater St IS NOT a major cycle route at all. There is a huge construction site at Viadux that has restricted road space & necessitated temporary lights.”

I certainly didn't know that. I suspect that Storey didn't either.

> However, Storey, who before taking over Chris Boardman’s role in May 2022 had also served as the active travel commissioner for Sheffield for three years, said that the road doesn’t need to be a major route for people to care that a fatal crash doesn’t happen there again”.

Ban cycling there. That'll do it, while allowing the building works to
be completed.

> She added: “This gentleman can’t seem to fathom that a road not being a major cycling route (in his opinion) somehow warrants a ‘turn a blind eye to yet another road death’ approach. Sorry to disappoint but I won’t keep quiet, people’s lives depend on it.”

Stop ranting. Start *thinking* (difficult as that is for fairy-cyclists,
who are so self-focused as to lose sight of all realities, particularly
those which relate to the lives and activities of others).

> The former cycling and swimming athlete with 17 gold medals in the Paralympic Games has been staunchly advocating for safer cycling and raising awareness about the dangers caused by reckless and inappropriate driving behaviours.
> Earlier this week, we reported her calling out the “entitlement” of speeding drivers, as social media replies downplayed its subsequent risks after Met Police’s national lead of fatal collisions DCS Andy Cox noted that speeding was the leading cause of fatal crashes.
> “Some of the responses and quote tweets on this statement, from a leading police expert, demonstrates perfectly the level of entitlement and subsequent risk posed by some drivers,” Storey wrote.
> Cox had made these comments after the UK Home Secretary Suella Braverman got tangled up in a speeding controversy where she allegedly tried to arrange a private driver awareness course after she was caught speeding in order to avoid public scrutiny.
> London Chav Cycling Campaign criticised the former Attorney Genral from the Conservative Party for not only being caught speeding, but “attempting to dismiss that as an issue and often getting away with no real consequences”.
> Just yesterday early morning, a cyclist was killed in a collision with a lorry being driven in central London. Commenting on the “devastating news”, the London Chav-Cycling Campaign said “yet again a tipper truck involved in a fatal collision with someone cycling”.
> “It's too early yet for any clarity on why this collision happened — but incidents like this should be designed out of London. Our hearts go out to family and friends of the victim,” said the LC-CC.
> The news of this crash came hours before Transport for London published its official road safety data for 2022, which showed that although cycling fatalities were down in the capital, the number of those seriously injured in collisions had risen.
> And in more terrible news from Manchester, a man in his 30s suffered life-threatening injuries and was left “fighting for his life” after a collision with a lorry near Manchester Piccadilly yesterday afternoon, reported MEN (link is external).
> Constable Oliver Batty from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit said: “We are appealing to members of public and other motorists who may have been travelling along Fairfield Street at the time of this collision.
> “It is an extremely busy area of Manchester and any information, no matter how small, may assist the investigation. I appeal directly to anyone who may have witnessed this or to anyone who has dash-cam or CCTV footage relating to this incident.”

> https://road.cc/content/news/dame-sarah-storey-slams-drivers-dismissing-cyclist-deaths-301463

Re: Dame Sarah Storey slams drivers who turn “a blind eye to yet another death”, asks for progress after three HGV crashes with cyclists in a day — two of them fatal

<8258e1fc-4071-422a-b880-ec1b5d13653en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28816&group=uk.rec.cycling#28816

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 08:21:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Dame_Sarah_Storey_slams_drivers_who_turn_“a_bl
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 25 May 2023 15:21 UTC

This morning, coming into work, waiting at the traffic lights here

https://goo.gl/maps/vzXpn9U2Ri6ikqXt9 (link is external)

I was in the left lane, a HGV was in the right lane. So, completely different lanes of traffic. I had arrived at the lights first.

The lights changed and I pulled away. So did the HGV. As the cab went in front of me, I realised that the HGV was ever so gradually moving left, and I touched my brakes; the HGV carried on moving left, ending up in front of me just in time to go through the next set of traffic lights (a single lane, I've indicated just how far ahead) and away into the distance.

I forgot my point - I think it was something about how HGVs shouldn't be in the middle of busy urban centres...

There's not much point in an HGV trying to get in front of you there as they'll either get stopped at the pedestrian lights that you circled or they'll get caught up in traffic further down the road. Bikes are much quicker along that section than cars/lorries.

Re: Dame Sarah Storey slams drivers who turn “a blind eye to yet another death”, asks for progress after three HGV crashes with cyclists in a day — two of them fatal

<kd9e47Fas99U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28824&group=uk.rec.cycling#28824

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 16:45:12 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 25 May 2023 15:45 UTC

> This morning, coming into work, waiting at the traffic lights here
>
> https://goo.gl/maps/vzXpn9U2Ri6ikqXt9 (link is external)
>
> I was in the left lane, a HGV was in the right lane. So, completely different lanes of traffic. I had arrived at the lights first.
>
> The lights changed and I pulled away. So did the HGV. As the cab went in front of me, I realised that the HGV was ever so gradually moving left, and I touched my brakes; the HGV carried on moving left, ending up in front of me just in time to go through the next set of traffic lights (a single lane, I've indicated just how far ahead) and away into the distance.
>
> I forgot my point - I think it was something about how HGVs shouldn't be in the middle of busy urban centres...

How would you deliver stock to Tesco Express, Wagamama and all the other
restaurants, WH Smith, such remaining department stores as survived
Brown's Crash in 2008, chav-cycle shops, clinics hospitals and pubs, not
to mention getting building materials to the construction sites for
high-rise office blocks, etc?

Balloon lifts powered by chav-dust?

> There's not much point in an HGV trying to get in front of you there as they'll either get stopped at the pedestrian lights that you circled or they'll get caught up in traffic further down the road. Bikes are much quicker along that section than cars/lorries.

Re: Dame Sarah Storey slams drivers who turn “a blind eye to yet another death”, asks for progress after three HGV crashes with cyclists in a day — two of them fatal

<014c6f83-57d4-4696-9f48-b97f1bc08451n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28827&group=uk.rec.cycling#28827

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 09:02:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 25 May 2023 16:02 UTC

Argos74 | 606 posts | 1 hour ago
3 likes

Manchester Critical Mass is tomorrow night, and invariably goes through the underpass on Great Bridgewater St. It's the acoustics.

There will be feelings.

:-(

Re: Dame Sarah Storey slams drivers who turn “a blind eye to yet another death”, asks for progress after three HGV crashes with cyclists in a day — two of them fatal

<kd9f9qFb2r6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28828&group=uk.rec.cycling#28828

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 17:05:15 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 25 May 2023 16:05 UTC

> Argos74 | 606 posts | 1 hour ago
> 3 likes
>
> Manchester Critical Chav Mass is tomorrow night, and invariably goes through the underpass on Great Bridgewater St. It's the acoustics.
>
> There will be feelings.

That is a threat of sexual assault.

Re: Dame Sarah Storey slams drivers who turn “a blind eye to yet another death”, asks for progress after three HGV crashes with cyclists in a day — two of them fatal

<4c215ac5-65a6-499a-a8ff-12d1ee7c6cbfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28831&group=uk.rec.cycling#28831

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 09:30:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 25 May 2023 16:30 UTC

In another reply, the person added: “You really do need to shut up. Great Bridgwater St IS NOT a major cycle route at all.

There's a rectangle sign denoting this is a recommended route for cycling, it's also on route 6 of the National Cycle Network. It is actually one of the major cycling routes through Manchester.

I really hope the person commenting there is not a driver.

QED: https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/Screenshot%202023-05-25%20at%2013.43.42.png