I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

SubjectAuthor
* Another newsgroup ruined by spammersTony The Welsh Twat
+- Another newsgroup ruined by spammersFBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
+- Another newsgroup ruined by spammersFBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
`* Another newsgroup ruined by spammersJohn Hall
 `* Another newsgroup ruined by spammersAdrian
  +- Another newsgroup ruined by spammersmax.it
  `* Another newsgroup ruined by spammersJohn Hall
   `* Another newsgroup ruined by spammersAdrian
    `* Another newsgroup ruined by spammersJohn Hall
     `* Another newsgroup ruined by spammersAdrian
      `* Another newsgroup ruined by spammersAdrian
       `* Another newsgroup ruined by spammersAndy Walker
        +* Another newsgroup ruined by spammersJohn Hall
        |+* Another newsgroup ruined by spammersAndy Burns
        ||`* Another newsgroup ruined by spammersJohn Hall
        || `* Another newsgroup ruined by spammersmax.it
        ||  `- Another newsgroup ruined by spammersAndy Burns
        |`* Another newsgroup ruined by spammersAdrian
        | `- Another newsgroup ruined by spammersmike
        `* Another newsgroup ruined by spammersDavid North
         +- Another newsgroup ruined by spammersmike
         `- Another newsgroup ruined by spammersFBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer

1
Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<5a16898a-1e5c-43f8-8d6c-7216962d8b02n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28788&group=uk.sport.cricket#28788

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 08:47:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers
From: tonythewelshtwat@gmail.com (Tony The Welsh Twat)
 by: Tony The Welsh Twat - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 15:47 UTC

I think I (just, but only just) preferred Holmans' pro-English bullshit rather than the weird stuff infecting this group nowadays.

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<ufhegm$3kmft$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28790&group=uk.sport.cricket#28790

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 09:12:07 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 16:12 UTC

On 10/3/2023 8:47 AM, Tony The Welsh Twat wrote:
> I think I (just, but only just) preferred Holmans' pro-English bullshit rather than the weird stuff infecting this group nowadays.

VERY EASY to INTIMIDATE the filthy cross dressing, lipstick wearing,
confused gender EVIL US GOVT WHITE CIA NSA FBI DHS cowards and pussies.

IF you ask them to come out and FIGHT their opponents with exactly the
SAME/EQUAL WEAPONS, the whitefucks will RUN like hell, HIDE behind their
WHORE MOMMIES and CRY I don't wanna die, I don't wanna die, I don't
wanna die, pleas don't kill me, please don't kill me, please don't kill me.

POC have been too nice and too tolerant to the EVIL US Govt psychopathic
BLOOD THIRSTY THIEVES for too long.

IF Native americans MERCILESSLY MASSACRED the EVIL EUROPEAN THIEVES ON
SIGHT, america would still be owned by Native Red Indians instead of the
EVIL WHITE THIEVES.

It's actually NOT TOO LATE for POC to massacre the WHITE THIEVES like
pigs and SAVE their LAND, WEALTH and DIGNITY.

Niger kicked out european THIEVES recently but it is NOT over yet. The
CUNNING WHITE THIEVES will go back and do a SNEAK ATTACK and REPLACE the
Govt with PUPPETS to STEAL their NATURAL RESOURCES.

The WHOLE WORLD MUST "PERCEIVE" western whites as a RACE OF BLOODTHIRSTY
THIEVES and MASSACRE them ON SIGHT. They have the SELF DEFENSE RIGHT to
PROTECT THEMSELVES, their women and children, their WEALTH and LAND.

A WHITE MAN is an OXYMORON - Whites are a RACE of fucking COWARDS n PUSSIES
https://groups.google.com/g/misc.survivalism/c/5YYq6QlQ0PI/m/cb_SR32SAAAJ

A WHITE MAN is an OXYMORON - Whites are a RACE of fucking COWARDS n PUSSIES

At the current rate of western white men coming out as gays, trans and the
other 100+ confused genders Western Whites CREATED out of their
PERVERSIONS and DECADENCE, there WON'T be a straight white man left in a
couple of decades.

WESTERN WHITE CHRISTIANS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A RACE OF PUSSIES and COWARDS
their entire existence.

But the american whites "cunningly programmed" everybody to THINK that
America is "home of the brave".

The proof is in the pudding.

1) You ask a white man to fight their opponents with "exactly the same
weapons" and you will see whites "wetting their panties" and running and
hiding behind their whore moms and cry "I don't wanna die, please don't
kill me".

2) White Christian America DID NOT HAVE THE BALLS to fight Japan in
conventional war which is why they "NUKED Japan TWICE".

3) RACIST White Christian America DID NOT NUKE Germany even once",
"because GERMANS are WHITE CHRISTIANS."

4) White Christian America DID NOT HAVE THE BALLS to fight a war with
RUSSIA because RUSSIA HAD NUKES.

5) White Christian America with SUPERIOR WEAPONS fights wars ONLY with
"PUNY POWERLESS COUNTRIES" like Iraq, Somalia, Granada, Yugoslavia, Libya
Afghanistan who don't have nukes and don't have good enough weapons to
fight USA.

6) White Christian America does NOT HAVE THE BALLS to Fight China in a
war because CHINA HAS NUKES.

7) If you offer a hand of friendship, bible thumping whites will smile,
shake hands and BACKSTAB YOU when you turn back, KILL you and STEAL your
wealth and land.

8) On the other hand, if YOU PUT A GUN to a White man's head, "it" will
"WET ITS -PANTIES- AND BEG YOU FOR MERCY".

9) Western White Women are BREEDING a RACE of COWARD FILTHY EVIL VIRUS and
DESTROYING the beautiful planet and human species.

10) FACT:

USA "never fought a war" with ANY country with "equal weapons or nukes"
in its "ENTIRE EXISTENCE", because USA is a "Nation of COWARDS and
PUSSIES".

11) WHITES FEAR "DEATH" like NO OTHER RACE on the planet.

12) Whites were NEVER BRAVE in reality, it is just a "PERCEPTION created
in their minds and the rest of the humans' minds by the INFINITELY
CUNNING DECEPTIVE whites".

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<ufhep6$3kmft$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28791&group=uk.sport.cricket#28791

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 09:16:38 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 16:16 UTC

On 10/3/2023 8:47 AM, Tony The Welsh Twat wrote:
> I think I (just, but only just) preferred Holmans' pro-English bullshit rather than the weird stuff infecting this group nowadays.

You are a fucking typical WHITE COWARD and a PUSSY who will WET and SHIT
YOUR PANTIES if asked to fight their opponent with exactly the
same/equal weapon

Western White Women are BREEDING a "filthy COWARD PSYCHOPATHIC VIRUS".

The SOONER the rest of the world join hands, INVADE the FILTHY EVIL
WHITE VIRUS and FORCIBLY SUBJUGATE, REFORM, HUMANIZE and CIVILIZE the
EVIL bloodthirsty genocidal sadistic perverted pedophilic bestial
cannibalistic Western White Race, the BETTER for the world and the UNIVERSE.

The WORLD has put up with the EVIL WHITE VIRUS for too long.

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<Uep8vUCxpEHlFw0q@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28793&group=uk.sport.cricket#28793

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 18:08:01 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 17:08 UTC

In message <5a16898a-1e5c-43f8-8d6c-7216962d8b02n@googlegroups.com>,
Tony The Welsh Twat <tonythewelshtwat@gmail.com> writes
>I think I (just, but only just) preferred Holmans' pro-English bullshit
>rather than the weird stuff infecting this group nowadays.

It marks it hard to find the wheat among the chaff, doesn't ?
uk.sci.weather has been similarly inflicted. If you have a newsreader
that offers killfiling facilities which allow so-called "regular
expressions", then the custom reject rule

/^Content\-Transfer\-Encoding..base64$/h

should get rid of any future instances without causing any collateral
damage.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<74BlDSU8AGHlFwy3@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28794&group=uk.sport.cricket#28794

From: bulleid@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 19:41:00 +0100
 by: Adrian - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 18:41 UTC

In message <Uep8vUCxpEHlFw0q@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>It marks it hard to find the wheat among the chaff, doesn't ?
>uk.sci.weather has been similarly inflicted. If you have a newsreader
>that offers killfiling facilities which allow so-called "regular
>expressions", then the custom reject rule
>
>/^Content\-Transfer\-Encoding..base64$/h
>
>should get rid of any future instances without causing any collateral
>damage.

Thanks, I've just tried that in Turnpike (as a custom rule), but the
torrent continues.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<alpohitiupbhnuqildp3tv34kckkctcvui@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28795&group=uk.sport.cricket#28795

From: max@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2023 20:11:55 +0100
 by: max.it - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 19:11 UTC

On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 19:41:00 +0100, Adrian <bulleid@ku.gro.lioff>
wrote:

>In message <Uep8vUCxpEHlFw0q@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
><john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>>It marks it hard to find the wheat among the chaff, doesn't ?
>>uk.sci.weather has been similarly inflicted. If you have a newsreader
>>that offers killfiling facilities which allow so-called "regular
>>expressions", then the custom reject rule
>>
>>/^Content\-Transfer\-Encoding..base64$/h
>>
>>should get rid of any future instances without causing any collateral
>>damage.
>
>Thanks, I've just tried that in Turnpike (as a custom rule), but the
>torrent continues.
>
>Adrian

I used it just there in Forte and it filtered a load, still a few
resisting.

max.it

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<i9HBHfDLNHHlFwB8@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28796&group=uk.sport.cricket#28796

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 21:02:19 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 20:02 UTC

In message <74BlDSU8AGHlFwy3@ku.gro.lloiff>, Adrian
<bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> writes
>In message <Uep8vUCxpEHlFw0q@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
><john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>>It marks it hard to find the wheat among the chaff, doesn't ?
>>uk.sci.weather has been similarly inflicted. If you have a newsreader
>>that offers killfiling facilities which allow so-called "regular
>>expressions", then the custom reject rule
>>
>>/^Content\-Transfer\-Encoding..base64$/h
>>
>>should get rid of any future instances without causing any collateral
>>damage.
>
>Thanks, I've just tried that in Turnpike (as a custom rule), but the
>torrent continues.
>
>Adrian

I'm using TP too, so it should have worked for you. Did you set the rule
in the correct place, by right-clicking on the name of the newsgroup and
then selecting Properties and going from there? And did you remember to
click on the Reject radio button?

Could you post the headers from one of the spam articles? I'm wondering
if the ones that my rule works against have stopped comi9ng and you're
getting different ones that some older kill rule of mine happens to
stop.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed
its sober climb, until it had another fit of steps."
Ursula K Le Guin "The Beginning Place"

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<upQwXKX5jHHlFwBV@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28797&group=uk.sport.cricket#28797

From: bulleid@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 21:26:33 +0100
 by: Adrian - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 20:26 UTC

In message <i9HBHfDLNHHlFwB8@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>In message <74BlDSU8AGHlFwy3@ku.gro.lloiff>, Adrian
><bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> writes
>>In message <Uep8vUCxpEHlFw0q@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
>><john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>>>It marks it hard to find the wheat among the chaff, doesn't ?
>>>uk.sci.weather has been similarly inflicted. If you have a newsreader
>>>that offers killfiling facilities which allow so-called "regular
>>>expressions", then the custom reject rule
>>>
>>>/^Content\-Transfer\-Encoding..base64$/h
>>>
>>>should get rid of any future instances without causing any collateral
>>>damage.
>>
>>Thanks, I've just tried that in Turnpike (as a custom rule), but the torrent
>>continues.
>>
>>Adrian
>
>I'm using TP too, so it should have worked for you. Did you set the rule in
>the correct place, by right-clicking on the name of the newsgroup and
>then selecting Properties and going from there? And did you remember to
>click on the Reject radio button?

I've just double checked, it is for the right group, it is a custom
rule, and it is set to reject. The rule was cut and pasted from your

>Could you post the headers from one of the spam articles? I'm wondering
>if the ones that my rule works against have stopped comi9ng and you're
>getting different ones that some older kill rule of mine happens to stop.

From the latest batch :

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 12:40:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject:
=?UTF-8?B?8J+SjiBVRkFYMiDguYDguILguYnguLLguKrguLnguYjguKPguLDguJrguJotIOC
4hOC4sg==?=
=?UTF-8?B?4Liq4Li04LmC4LiZ4Lit4Lit4LiZ4LmE4Lil4LiZ4LmM4LmB4Lil4Li
w4LmA4Lin4LmH4Lia4Lie4LiZ?=
=?UTF-8?B?4Lix4LiZ4Lit4Lix4LiZ4LiU4Lix4Lia4Lir4LiZ4Li24LmI4LiH4Lm
D4LiZ4Lib4Lij4Liw4LmA4LiX?=
=?UTF-8?B?4Lio4LmE4LiX4LiiIPCfko4gdWZhMXgyIOC5gOC4guC5ieC4suC4quC
4ueC5iOC4o+C4sOC4muC4miA=?=
From:
=?UTF-8?B?4LmC4Lif4LiB4Lix4LiqIOC4p+C4seC4iuC4o+C4iOC4tOC4o+C4sOC4geC4uOC
4pQ==?= <zuelligmancharonemb@gmail.com>

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<eDCuYeEcBIHlFw1M@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28798&group=uk.sport.cricket#28798

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 21:58:04 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 20:58 UTC

In message <upQwXKX5jHHlFwBV@ku.gro.lloiff>, Adrian
<bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> writes
>In message <i9HBHfDLNHHlFwB8@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
><john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>>In message <74BlDSU8AGHlFwy3@ku.gro.lloiff>, Adrian
>><bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> writes
>>>In message <Uep8vUCxpEHlFw0q@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
>>><john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes

>>>Thanks, I've just tried that in Turnpike (as a custom rule), but the torrent
>>>continues.
>>>
>>>Adrian
>>
>>I'm using TP too, so it should have worked for you. Did you set the rule in
>>the correct place, by right-clicking on the name of the newsgroup and
>>then selecting Properties and going from there? And did you remember to
>>click on the Reject radio button?
>>

>I've just double checked, it is for the right group, it is a custom
>rule, and it is set to reject. The rule was cut and pasted from your
>

>>Could you post the headers from one of the spam articles? I'm wondering
>>if the ones that my rule works against have stopped comi9ng and you're
>>getting different ones that some older kill rule of mine happens to stop.
>
>From the latest batch :

<snip>

It's the same as I was getting, so the rule should have worked. The ^
ties the rule to the start of the line, the \ is the "escape" character
so that the following - is taken literally rather than as a control
character, the .. says match any two characters (because I couldn't
recall if the : or the space needed to be escaped or not, the $ ties it
to the end of the line, and the final h says check all header lines for
a match. You could try simplifying the rule to

/base64/h

which AIUI should check for that string in any position within the line
- less efficient in terms of processing time, but there's less to go
wrong.

The only possible explanation I can think of is that you're using a
different news server to me, and to wonder if it's somehow mangling the
headers in some way invisible to the naked eye - which it shouldn't do,
of course. For instance, if it added a space character to the end of
each header, that would mean that the $ at the end of my original rule
would prevent a match.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed
its sober climb, until it had another fit of steps."
Ursula K Le Guin "The Beginning Place"

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<hFtzMtYPVIHlFwzx@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28799&group=uk.sport.cricket#28799

From: bulleid@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 22:19:11 +0100
 by: Adrian - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 21:19 UTC

In message <eDCuYeEcBIHlFw1M@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>In message <upQwXKX5jHHlFwBV@ku.gro.lloiff>, Adrian
><bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> writes
>>In message <i9HBHfDLNHHlFwB8@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
>><john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>>>In message <74BlDSU8AGHlFwy3@ku.gro.lloiff>, Adrian
>>><bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> writes

>>>I'm using TP too, so it should have worked for you. Did you set the rule in
>>>the correct place, by right-clicking on the name of the newsgroup and
>>>then selecting Properties and going from there? And did you remember to
>>>click on the Reject radio button?
>>>

>>I've just double checked, it is for the right group, it is a custom
>>rule, and it is set to reject. The rule was cut and pasted from your
>>

>>>Could you post the headers from one of the spam articles? I'm wondering
>>>if the ones that my rule works against have stopped comi9ng and you're
>>>getting different ones that some older kill rule of mine happens to stop.
>>
>>From the latest batch :
>>
><snip>
>
>It's the same as I was getting, so the rule should have worked. The ^
>ties the rule to the start of the line, the \ is the "escape" character
>so that the following - is taken literally rather than as a control
>character, the .. says match any two characters (because I couldn't
>recall if the : or the space needed to be escaped or not, the $ ties it
>to the end of the line, and the final h says check all header lines for
>a match. You could try simplifying the rule to
>
>/base64/h
>
>which AIUI should check for that string in any position within the line
>- less efficient in terms of processing time, but there's less to go
>wrong.
>
>The only possible explanation I can think of is that you're using a
>different news server to me, and to wonder if it's somehow mangling the
>headers in some way invisible to the naked eye - which it shouldn't do,
>of course. For instance, if it added a space character to the end of
>each header, that would mean that the $ at the end of my original rule
>would prevent a match.

Thanks.

I've added another custom rule to reject /base64/h, I'll see what
happens.

I'm using Eternal September as my news server.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<6kTlk+a1qJHlFwD8@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28800&group=uk.sport.cricket#28800

From: bulleid@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 23:50:29 +0100
 by: Adrian - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 22:50 UTC

In message <hFtzMtYPVIHlFwzx@ku.gro.lloiff>, Adrian
<bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> writes
>I've added another custom rule to reject /base64/h, I'll see what
>happens.

That doesn't seem to have worked either.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<ufj9cj$2qai$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28801&group=uk.sport.cricket#28801

From: anw@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 09:56:51 +0100
 by: Andy Walker - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 08:56 UTC

On 03/10/2023 23:50, Adrian wrote:
>> I've added another custom rule to reject /base64/h, I'll see what happens.
> That doesn't seem to have worked either.

I've tried various strings from the Subject [such as "ufa" and
"UTF-8"] and Injection-Info ["2a0e:a942"], some of which gave partial
success, but TB seems to miss these quite often even when they're
staring it in the face. I'm sorry to report that the only 100% [so far]
success I've had has been by rejecting messages from Gmail. I suspect
that will also catch some genuine posters [inc Tony, the OP].

--
Andy Walker, Nottingham.
Andy's music pages: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<04tUmRBi4SHlFwyu@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28802&group=uk.sport.cricket#28802

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 10:19:30 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 09:19 UTC

In message <ufj9cj$2qai$1@dont-email.me>, Andy Walker <anw@cuboid.co.uk>
writes
>On 03/10/2023 23:50, Adrian wrote:
>>> I've added another custom rule to reject /base64/h, I'll see what happens.
>> That doesn't seem to have worked either.
>
> I've tried various strings from the Subject [such as "ufa" and
>"UTF-8"] and Injection-Info ["2a0e:a942"], some of which gave partial
>success, but TB seems to miss these quite often even when they're
>staring it in the face. I'm sorry to report that the only 100% [so far]
>success I've had has been by rejecting messages from Gmail. I suspect
>that will also catch some genuine posters [inc Tony, the OP].

You could both try "=?UTF" for the subject, which I had some success
with before trying the "base64" rule. (Since it's not a custom rule, the
= and ? aren't control characters but are taken literally.) It might not
work with Thunderbird if it's modern enough to know that =?UTF-8? is
control info rather than supposed to be taken literally, though.

I use news.individual.net, which is normally very good at filtering out
spam, but the encoding of these messages seems to have defeated it.
There are so many, and they are so hard to read, that I wonder if they
are intended as a denial of service attack rather than spam. Either way,
the creator seems to have gone to an awful lot of trouble. For some
reason, so far of the groups I take only this group and uk.sci.weather
have been affected. It's not even all uk.* groups, as others I take have
so far been clear.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed
its sober climb, until it had another fit of steps."
Ursula K Le Guin "The Beginning Place"

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<911a4f71-e4f7-4964-9789-c13dcd7477een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28803&group=uk.sport.cricket#28803

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 05:40:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
 by: David North - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 12:40 UTC

On Wednesday, 4 October 2023 at 09:56:54 UTC+1, Andy Walker wrote:
> On 03/10/2023 23:50, Adrian wrote:
> >> I've added another custom rule to reject /base64/h, I'll see what happens.
> > That doesn't seem to have worked either.
> I've tried various strings from the Subject [such as "ufa" and
> "UTF-8"] and Injection-Info ["2a0e:a942"], some of which gave partial
> success, but TB seems to miss these quite often even when they're
> staring it in the face. I'm sorry to report that the only 100% [so far]
> success I've had has been by rejecting messages from Gmail. I suspect
> that will also catch some genuine posters [inc Tony, the OP].

After trying a few other Subject strings in TB, I added individual Thai characters to the filter until it got rid of all of the existing messages - will see if any new ones get through later.

In my lunch break, I'm stuck with Google Groups. The best that can be done with that seems to be to use the Report Abuse function, but you still get "This conversation has been hidden because you've reported it for abuse" where each message was, rather than them disappearing altogether.

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<ko55bmF1deaU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28804&group=uk.sport.cricket#28804

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 13:49:59 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 12:49 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> You could both try "=?UTF" for the subject

You'll find that catches-out people who include currency symbols
e.g. £, € etc or “smart quotes”.

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<e4746aeb-62e4-4191-8d87-21f8df230a86n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28805&group=uk.sport.cricket#28805

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 06:27:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 13:27 UTC

On Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 1:40:43 PM UTC+1, David North wrote:
> > > That doesn't seem to have worked either.
> > I've tried various strings from the Subject [such as "ufa" and
> > "UTF-8"] and Injection-Info ["2a0e:a942"], some of which gave partial
> > success, but TB seems to miss these quite often even when they're
> > staring it in the face. I'm sorry to report that the only 100% [so far]
> > success I've had has been by rejecting messages from Gmail. I suspect
> > that will also catch some genuine posters [inc Tony, the OP].
> After trying a few other Subject strings in TB, I added individual Thai characters to the filter until it got rid of all of the existing messages - will see if any new ones get through later.
>
> In my lunch break, I'm stuck with Google Groups. The best that can be done with that seems to be to use the Report Abuse function, but you still get "This conversation has been hidden because you've reported it for abuse" where each message was, rather than them disappearing altogether.

if your using google, you can avoid the spam if you sign in and then star the posts or postees
you want, perhaps a bit time consuming at first, but then when u press starred conversations
the spam disapears. at least it worked like that for me at the library. i'm not in the least tech savvy
but isnt there an option where u can choose the language etc, so if u choose only english, anything
in thai wont appear? I'm not surpised it appears on google cos they dont really monitor these
groups, but surely your news provider or server would be concerned about this, cos as u say
someones gone to a lot of trouble.

mike

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<ufk06k$btfr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28807&group=uk.sport.cricket#28807

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 08:26:12 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 15:26 UTC

On 10/4/2023 5:40 AM, David North wrote:
>>> That doesn't seem to have worked either.
>> I've tried various strings from the Subject [such as "ufa" and
>> "UTF-8"] and Injection-Info ["2a0e:a942"], some of which gave partial
>> success, but TB seems to miss these quite often even when they're
>> staring it in the face. I'm sorry to report that the only 100% [so far]
>> success I've had has been by rejecting messages from Gmail. I suspect
>> that will also catch some genuine posters [inc Tony, the OP].
>
> After trying a few other Subject strings in TB, I added individual Thai characters to the filter until it got rid of all of the existing messages - will see if any new ones get through later.
>
> In my lunch break, I'm stuck with Google Groups. The best that can be done with that seems to be to use the Report Abuse function, but you still get "This conversation has been hidden because you've reported it for abuse" where each message was, rather than them disappearing altogether.

Report abuse to the following email id from where the SPAM originated in
Vietnam.

If anybody thinks that this SPAM is being spread by people from
Thailand, I have a moon to sell you all.

Report Abuse:

Email
contact@minproxy.io
Address
208 Nguyen Huu Canh, 22 Ward, Binh Thanh, Ho Chi Minh 700000, Vietnam

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<mWC5MZAoaYHlFwT1@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28808&group=uk.sport.cricket#28808

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:37:12 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 15:37 UTC

In message <ko55bmF1deaU2@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>John Hall wrote:
>
>> You could both try "=?UTF" for the subject
>
>You'll find that catches-out people who include currency symbols
>e.g. £, € etc or “smart quotes”.

If they include those in the subject line, I'm tempted to think that not
seeing their posts would be no big loss.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed
its sober climb, until it had another fit of steps."
Ursula K Le Guin "The Beginning Place"

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<i43rhi1qtu0fblk0rifreif3p031537k8q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28809&group=uk.sport.cricket#28809

From: max@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 17:03:54 +0100
References: <5a16898a-1e5c-43f8-8d6c-7216962d8b02n@googlegroups.com> <Uep8vUCxpEHlFw0q@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <74BlDSU8AGHlFwy3@ku.gro.lloiff> <i9HBHfDLNHHlFwB8@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <upQwXKX5jHHlFwBV@ku.gro.lloiff> <eDCuYeEcBIHlFw1M@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <hFtzMtYPVIHlFwzx@ku.gro.lloiff> <6kTlk+a1qJHlFwD8@ku.gro.lloiff> <ufj9cj$2qai$1@dont-email.me> <04tUmRBi4SHlFwyu@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <ko55bmF1deaU2@mid.individual.net> <mWC5MZAoaYHlFwT1@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
 by: max.it - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:03 UTC

On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:37:12 +0100, John Hall <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <ko55bmF1deaU2@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
><usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>>John Hall wrote:
>>
>>> You could both try "=?UTF" for the subject
>>
>>You'll find that catches-out people who include currency symbols
>>e.g. £, € etc or “smart quotes”.
>
>If they include those in the subject line, I'm tempted to think that not
>seeing their posts would be no big loss.

My filter was working and then it quit working and now the spam has
gone and it's not my filter doing it. Maybe the spammers have
outspammed themselves.

max.it

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<ko5ifmF39c3U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28810&group=uk.sport.cricket#28810

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:33:59 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:33 UTC

max.it wrote:

> now the spam has gone and it's not my filter doing it. Maybe the
> spammers have outspammed themselves.

Seems to have been knocked on the head at 10:06 BST

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<79RlQZQJFbHlFwC7@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28812&group=uk.sport.cricket#28812

From: bulleid@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 19:39:05 +0100
 by: Adrian - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 18:39 UTC

In message <04tUmRBi4SHlFwyu@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>You could both try "=?UTF" for the subject, which I had some success
>with before trying the "base64" rule. (Since it's not a custom rule,
>the = and ? aren't control characters but are taken literally.) It
>might not work with Thunderbird if it's modern enough to know that
>=?UTF-8? is control info rather than supposed to be taken literally,
>though.

I tried that last night, and it didn't appear to stop anything.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

Re: Another newsgroup ruined by spammers

<1993ddaf-50d5-471f-b7f0-719bf41b63d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28832&group=uk.sport.cricket#28832

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 07:19:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 14:19 UTC

On Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 7:48:30 PM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
> In message <04tUmRBi4SHlFwyu@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
> <john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes
> >You could both try "=?UTF" for the subject, which I had some success
> >with before trying the "base64" rule. (Since it's not a custom rule,
> >the = and ? aren't control characters but are taken literally.) It
> >might not work with Thunderbird if it's modern enough to know that
> >=?UTF-8? is control info rather than supposed to be taken literally,
> >though.
> >
> I tried that last night, and it didn't appear to stop anything.
> Adrian

its been sorted in the soc. groups i use, so hopefully they will get
around to uk. groups in due course. i suggest you just keep reporting it
so they realise its still ongoing.

mike