People who have no faults are terrible; there is no way of taking advantage of them.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

SubjectAuthor
* Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.CricketFBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
+* Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may beAndy Burns
|`* Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.CricketJohn Hall
| `* Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.CricketToby Briggs
|  `* Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricketmike
|   +* Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.CricketJohn Hall
|   |+* Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may beAndy Burns
|   ||`* Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.CricketJohn Hall
|   || `- Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may beAndy Burns
|   |`* Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.CricketJohn Hall
|   | +* Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may beAndy Burns
|   | |`- Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.CricketJohn Hall
|   | `- Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricketmike
|   `* Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may beAndy Burns
|    `- Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.CricketJohn Hall
+* Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.CricketJohn Hall
|`- Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.CricketAdrian
`- Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.CricketRobert Henderson

1
Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<ufr9j6$2a8li$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28830&group=uk.sport.cricket#28830

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 02:49:25 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 09:49 UTC

Can some one on UKSC who can AFFORD some time create a NEW GROUP, may be
England.Sport.Cricket or Uk.Sport.Cricket.New or something like that.

This group is destroyed by SPAM from Sadistic Psychopaths and Sociopaths.

Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<kocp8iF99gcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28831&group=uk.sport.cricket#28831

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be
England.Sport.Cricket
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 11:12:35 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 10:12 UTC

FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:

> Can some one on UKSC who can AFFORD some time create a NEW GROUP

Or you could do what I presume most people have done, spend 30 seconds
creating a filter to nuke all posts where message-id contains
@googlegroups.com

Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<s2Mn0uDqjZIlFwYQ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28837&group=uk.sport.cricket#28837

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 18:44:10 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 17:44 UTC

In message <ufr9j6$2a8li$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
<FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes

>Can some one on UKSC who can AFFORD some time create a NEW GROUP, may
>be England.Sport.Cricket or Uk.Sport.Cricket.New or something like that.

It's not very easy to get a new group created in the uk.* hierarchy.
It's administered by the UK Usenet Committee, whose members are elected
by the readers of uk.* newsgroups. You would have to propose the new
group in uk.net.news.management and then get its creation approved in a
vote by users of that group. AFAIK there's no precedent for creating a
new group in the hope of avoiding spam.

See the website:

https://www.usenet.org.uk/

and in particular:

https://www.usenet.org.uk/usenet-information.html#Creating-newsgroup

for more info.

>This group is destroyed by SPAM from Sadistic Psychopaths and Sociopaths.

It probably wouldn't take long for it to start appearing in the new
group. These spam floods don't normally last long, though, and have
become a lot less frequent than they used to be 20 or so years ago;
either the spammers have realised that they don't reach a very big
audience on newsgroups any more or they simply aren't even aware that
newsgroups exist.

Fortunately my own kill rules seem to be doing a pretty good job of
filtering out the trash. Normally I don't have to bother, as my
newsgroup provider - news.individual.net - does an excellent job with
its own filtering, but this latest outbreak has at least for now
defeated it.

You could always switch to rec.sport.cricket - the equivalent world-wide
group - which AFAIK hasn't been hit by the recent flood. It's true that,
unlike this group, it's been almost dead in recent years but hopefully
that would change.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<Tn54gLE$lZIlFwfs@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28838&group=uk.sport.cricket#28838

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 18:46:39 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 17:46 UTC

In message <kocp8iF99gcU1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
>
>> Can some one on UKSC who can AFFORD some time create a NEW GROUP
>
>Or you could do what I presume most people have done, spend 30 seconds
>creating a filter to nuke all posts where message-id contains
>@googlegroups.com

I think that would filter out mike's posts for one, which would be a
shame. A less draconian kill rule would be better. I find killing on the
Subject line containing =?UTF gets almost all of them.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<4d34ad25-a779-4776-a5f9-dcf06a293fe6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28839&group=uk.sport.cricket#28839

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 13:08:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: toby.briggs@gmail.com (Toby Briggs)
 by: Toby Briggs - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 20:08 UTC

On Saturday, 7 October 2023 at 18:52:35 UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <kocp8i...@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
> <use...@andyburns.uk> writes
> >FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> >
> >> Can some one on UKSC who can AFFORD some time create a NEW GROUP
> >
> >Or you could do what I presume most people have done, spend 30 seconds
> >creating a filter to nuke all posts where message-id contains
> >@googlegroups.com
> >
> I think that would filter out mike's posts for one, which would be a
> shame. A less draconian kill rule would be better. I find killing on the
> Subject line containing =?UTF gets almost all of them.
> --
> John Hall
> "Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
> from coughing."
> Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Frustratingly I use Google Groups via a browser to read (as you can probably guess I lurk more nowadays) and sadly I don’t think you can create kill list on here

Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<M0LZBhQxGcIlFwsq@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28840&group=uk.sport.cricket#28840

From: bulleid@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 21:38:09 +0100
 by: Adrian - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 20:38 UTC

In message <s2Mn0uDqjZIlFwYQ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>It probably wouldn't take long for it to start appearing in the new
>group. These spam floods don't normally last long, though, and have
>become a lot less frequent than they used to be 20 or so years ago;
>either the spammers have realised that they don't reach a very big
>audience on newsgroups any more or they simply aren't even aware that
>newsgroups exist.

My suspicion is that in this case, it's some form of automated script
that's gone a bit sorcerer's apprentice.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<dc680f0c-b553-4743-82b8-0d162a8b6552n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28841&group=uk.sport.cricket#28841

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 15:25:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 22:25 UTC

On Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 9:08:47 PM UTC+1, Toby Briggs wrote:
> On Saturday, 7 October 2023 at 18:52:35 UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> > In message <kocp8i...@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
> > <use...@andyburns.uk> writes

> > >Or you could do what I presume most people have done, spend 30 seconds
> > >creating a filter to nuke all posts where message-id contains
> > >@googlegroups.com
> > >
> > I think that would filter out mike's posts for one, which would be a
> > shame. A less draconian kill rule would be better. I find killing on the
> > Subject line containing =?UTF gets almost all of them.
> > --
> > John Hall

most kind of you to say so

i have created a back up group at alt.sport.cricket just in case it dont get
fixed, but hopefully we wont have to use it. or as you say we could migrate
back to rsc, which hasnt yet been targetted. they do seem to have cleared
up the soc. groups i use, so eventually i hope they will get round to this
one.

> Frustratingly I use Google Groups via a browser to read (as you can probably guess I lurk more nowadays) and sadly I don’t think you can create kill list on here

but if u login to gg you can use starred conversations to make the spam dissapear.

mike

Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<xJUQ7IBKXmIlFwox@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28843&group=uk.sport.cricket#28843

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 09:18:18 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 08:18 UTC

In message <dc680f0c-b553-4743-82b8-0d162a8b6552n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>i have created a back up group at alt.sport.cricket just in case it
>dont get fixed, but hopefully we wont have to use it.

I had a look for it, but it looks as though my news server hasn't added
it to their feed as yet, as it didn't show up. I imagine these things
usually take a few days.

> or as you say we could migrate back to rsc, which hasnt yet been
>targetted.

Searching for groups with "cricket" in their name, I was surprised to
find that england.sport.cricket exists. So I've added it to my feed. It
doesn't seem to have any traffic ATM, but it's another back-up
possibility.

> they do seem to have cleared up the soc. groups i use, so eventually i
>hope they will get round to this one.

googlegroups may have cleared them up, but that doesn't necessarily mean
that all the various news servers that people use will have done.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<kof843Fmc6iU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28844&group=uk.sport.cricket#28844

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
England.Sport.Cricket
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 09:38:28 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 08:38 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> dmike204 writes
>
>> i have created a back up group at alt.sport.cricket
>
> I had a look for it, but it looks as though my news server hasn't added
> it to their feed as yet

If nobody requests NIN to add it, it probably won't show up just by
itself ...

Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<kof8g7Fmc6iU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28845&group=uk.sport.cricket#28845

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
England.Sport.Cricket
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 09:44:56 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 08:44 UTC

mike wrote:

> John Hall wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns writes:
>>
>>> nuke all posts where message-id contains @googlegroups.com
>>
>> I think that would filter out mike's posts for one, which would be a
>> shame.
>
> most kind of you to say so
I don't understand the appeal of anyone using googlegroups as their main
news client. It's pretty light on features, poor at producing properly
formatted messages and tars you by association with the spammers ...
apart from that it's all good!

Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<C5jcHtBVtmIlFwsn@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28846&group=uk.sport.cricket#28846

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 09:41:57 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 08:41 UTC

In message <xJUQ7IBKXmIlFwox@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>In message <dc680f0c-b553-4743-82b8-0d162a8b6552n@googlegroups.com>,
>mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>i have created a back up group at alt.sport.cricket just in case it
>>dont get fixed, but hopefully we wont have to use it.
>
>I had a look for it, but it looks as though my news server hasn't added
>it to their feed as yet, as it didn't show up. I imagine these things
>usually take a few days.
<snip>

It's occurred to me that if you created the group within googlegroups
then it might not propagate to any of the "traditional" news servers. I
think groups created on "traditional" Usenet propagate to googlegroups
but not necessarily the other way round. So england.sport.cricket (see
my other post) might be better as a fall-back option.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<510f8ef0-df11-4985-bcf7-c8e16e85cb14n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28847&group=uk.sport.cricket#28847

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 02:16:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere156@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 09:16 UTC

On Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 10:49:29 AM UTC+1, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> Can some one on UKSC who can AFFORD some time create a NEW GROUP, may be
> England.Sport.Cricket or Uk.Sport.Cricket.New or something like that.
>
> This group is destroyed by SPAM from Sadistic Psychopaths and Sociopaths.

I don't know if it s significant but the spam seems to be all betting stuff RH

Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<kofap3Fmc6iU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28848&group=uk.sport.cricket#28848

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
England.Sport.Cricket
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 10:23:48 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 09:23 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> I think groups created on "traditional" Usenet propagate to googlegroups

Not these days, they refuse to add new usenet groups to googlegroups

Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<FIXNLsCGanIlFwed@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28849&group=uk.sport.cricket#28849

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 10:29:42 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 09:29 UTC

In message <kofap3Fmc6iU4@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>John Hall wrote:
>
>> I think groups created on "traditional" Usenet propagate to googlegroups
>
>Not these days, they refuse to add new usenet groups to googlegroups

Really? How antisocial of them. I wonder if they already have
england.sport.cricket
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<I4KOXTCxYnIlFwcn@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28850&group=uk.sport.cricket#28850

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 10:28:17 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 09:28 UTC

In message <kof843Fmc6iU2@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>John Hall wrote:
>
>> dmike204 writes
>>
>>> i have created a back up group at alt.sport.cricket
>> I had a look for it, but it looks as though my news server hasn't
>>added it to their feed as yet
>
>If nobody requests NIN to add it, it probably won't show up just by
>itself ...

I'm not sure there's any mechanism for asking NIN to add groups. They
may add other hierarchies automatically but not alt.* groups. But if
mike created it as a google group, it may not be possible to get it
added at all.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<YoBKjFDcdnIlFw$S@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28851&group=uk.sport.cricket#28851

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 10:33:16 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 09:33 UTC

In message <kof8g7Fmc6iU3@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>mike wrote:
>
>> John Hall wrote:

>>> I think that would filter out mike's posts for one, which would be a
>>> shame.
>> most kind of you to say so
>I don't understand the appeal of anyone using googlegroups as their
>main news client. It's pretty light on features, poor at producing
>properly formatted messages and tars you by association with the
>spammers ... apart from that it's all good!

I suppose its advantages are that it's easy and it's free. There are
free and very cheap traditional news servers, of course, but you have to
learn how to use them and also have to choose, download, install and
learn how to use a news reader application.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<cec2f604-ef26-4e2e-ae9a-0e47cda95e90n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28852&group=uk.sport.cricket#28852

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 03:25:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 10:25 UTC

On Sunday, October 8, 2023 at 9:45:42 AM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <xJUQ7IBKXmIlFwox@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
> <john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes
> >In message <dc680f0c-b553-4743...@googlegroups.com>,
> >mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >>i have created a back up group at alt.sport.cricket just in case it
> >>dont get fixed, but hopefully we wont have to use it.
> >
> >I had a look for it, but it looks as though my news server hasn't added
> >it to their feed as yet, as it didn't show up. I imagine these things
> >usually take a few days.
> <snip>
>
> It's occurred to me that if you created the group within googlegroups
> then it might not propagate to any of the "traditional" news servers. I
> think groups created on "traditional" Usenet propagate to googlegroups
> but not necessarily the other way round. So england.sport.cricket (see
> my other post) might be better as a fall-back option.
> --

For some reason the address is

https://groups.google.com/g/altsportcricket

i only did it as a last resort
but england.sport.cricket and rec.sport.cricket seem batter alternatives ATM

I'm still hoping google will get round to sorting it out, and hopefully those
who use other servers their sysop will too if you keep reporting it. I dont think
its 'real' spam or anything to do with betting either.

mike

Re: Can some one on UKSC create a NEW GROUP may be England.Sport.Cricket

<koff6lFmc6iU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28854&group=uk.sport.cricket#28854

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
England.Sport.Cricket
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 11:39:18 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 10:39 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> I'm not sure there's any mechanism for asking NIN to add groups. They
> may add other hierarchies automatically but not alt.* groups.

Certainly the alt.* groups I've created don't appear on googlegroups, I
tried and someone better connected also tried and was told "no"

There haven't been many big8 groups added lately,
comp.infosystems.gemini was recent'ish but isn't on googlegroups,
comp.lang.go probably doesn't actually exist yet.