From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket
Subject: Jonny Bairstow reignites Ashes row and accuses Australia of
unfairness in field
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 23:34:59 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 06:34 UTC

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/oct/24/jonny-bairstow-reignites-ashes-row-and-accuses-australia-of-unfairness-in-field

Jonny Bairstow reignites Ashes row and accuses Australia of unfairness
in field

England wicketkeeper breaks silence on stumping incident
Bairstow claims Australia took unfair catches throughout series

Jonny Bairstow has claimed Australia took illegal catches during the
Ashes, as part of his first in-depth reflection on his controversial
stumping by Alex Carey in the second Test.

When Bairstow strayed from his crease after the final ball of an over on
the last day at Lord’s, wicketkeeper Carey lobbed the ball underarm at
the stumps.

Over had not been called, but Australia’s decision not to withdraw their
appeal led to claims from the English that the stumping, while legal,
had not been in the spirit of the game.
Rashid Khan and Hashmatullah Shahidi celebrate Afghanistan’s famous
victory over Pakistan
Afghanistan stun Pakistan and send England to bottom of World Cup table
Read more

The wicket stood and the Australians, verbally abused by fans and
members in the pavilion as they left for lunch, went on to win the
second Test.

The stumping incident underscored a tense drawn series that ended with
the English choosing not to open the dressing rooms to Australia for
customary post-series beers.

But Bairstow had remained quiet about the incident until the release of
extracts from Lawrence Booth and Nick Hoult’s book Bazball in The Telegraph.

“The decision was that I was out, and I moved on,” Bairstow said. “I’ve
not brought it up since. I’ve kept quiet. It’s on them. If that’s how
they want to go about it and win a cricket game or what have you, then
so be it.”

Veteran all-rounder Moeen Ali implied Australia missed the chance to
exorcise any leftover demons from the 2018 Newlands ball-tampering saga,
after which they were branded cheats.

“My view was it was out, obviously,” Ali told the authors of Bazball. “I
just thought it was a great opportunity for [captain] Pat Cummins to put
to bed a lot of the things that have happened previously.

“Not just put to bed, but take away that label they have had for a while
with ‘Sandpapergate’.”

Bairstow said there was a difference between stumping a batter sneaking
out of their crease for cynical purposes, and catching a batter unaware,
as Australia did.

“If you try to gain an advantage, then it’s fair game,” he said. “But if
you’re starting in your crease, you’ve ducked, tap, tap, scratched. I’ve
even dragged my bat, looked up, and then gone.

Re: Jonny Bairstow reignites Ashes row and accuses Australia of unfairness in field

<fNp5IGBzk4NlFwEG@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28980&group=uk.sport.cricket#28980

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Jonny Bairstow reignites Ashes row and accuses Australia of unfairness in field
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 10:06:59 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 09:06 UTC

In message <uh7oik$3ncn6$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
<FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes

>https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/oct/24/jonny-bairstow-reignites-a
>shes-row-and-accuses-australia-of-unfairness-in-field
>
>Jonny Bairstow reignites Ashes row and accuses Australia of unfairness
>in field
>
> England wicketkeeper breaks silence on stumping incident
> Bairstow claims Australia took unfair catches throughout series

<snip>

Apparently he was interviewed during the Oval Test for a book that
Lawrence Booth and Nick Hoult were writing about the England team under
Bazball. After initially being reluctant to talk, when they pressed him
he opened up and was quite forthcoming. The story has come out now
because, though I don't think the book has been published yet, an
extract from it has appeared in today's Daily Telegraph (Hoult is their
chief cricket correspondent).
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: Jonny Bairstow reignites Ashes row and accuses Australia of unfairness in field

<20f117c6-0f0a-401b-8b56-e605cda39b5cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28981&group=uk.sport.cricket#28981

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 06:24:57 -0700 (PDT)
unfairness in field
From: hamish.laws@gmail.com (Hamish Laws)
 by: Hamish Laws - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:24 UTC

On Tuesday, October 24, 2023 at 5:35:03 PM UTC+11, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:

> Bairstow said there was a difference between stumping a batter sneaking
> out of their crease for cynical purposes, and catching a batter unaware,
> as Australia did.
>
> “If you try to gain an advantage, then it’s fair game,” he said. “But if
> you’re starting in your crease, you’ve ducked, tap, tap, scratched. I’ve
> even dragged my bat, looked up, and then gone.

Yeah, the difference is that he was the one that got out and he hates that

Here's him stumping a batsman who'd never left his crease until after the ball was settled in Bairstow's gloves when the batsman started to adjust his position

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/the-ashes/jonny-bairstow-footage-all-but-silences-englands-spirit-of-the-game-debate/news-story/3650c1597dd821d71866319c5b71c50a

here's his comments on it

“I saw him lift his foot and I took the bails off, luckily it was one of those that kind of went for us there,” Bairstow said.

“I saw Matt Prior do it against South Africa at Lord’s and it’s just something that’s luck of the draw. You can’t really practice, it’s just one that goes your way.”

But it’s his final 12-word remark that really puts the nail in the coffin and shuts down any argument England have attempted to make since the loss.

“It’s within the rules of the game and that’s how it is,” he said.

Re: Jonny Bairstow reignites Ashes row and accuses Australia of unfairness in field

<uh8js2$44e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28982&group=uk.sport.cricket#28982

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
unfairness in field
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 07:20:49 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 14:20 UTC

On 10/24/2023 6:24 AM, Hamish Laws wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 24, 2023 at 5:35:03 PM UTC+11, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
>>
>> Bairstow said there was a difference between stumping a batter sneaking
>> out of their crease for cynical purposes, and catching a batter unaware,
>> as Australia did.
>>
>> “If you try to gain an advantage, then it’s fair game,” he said. “But if
>> you’re starting in your crease, you’ve ducked, tap, tap, scratched. I’ve
>> even dragged my bat, looked up, and then gone.
>
> Yeah, the difference is that he was the one that got out and he hates that
>
> Here's him stumping a batsman who'd never left his crease until after the ball was settled in Bairstow's gloves when the batsman started to adjust his position
>
> https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/the-ashes/jonny-bairstow-footage-all-but-silences-englands-spirit-of-the-game-debate/news-story/3650c1597dd821d71866319c5b71c50a
>
> here's his comments on it
>
> “I saw him lift his foot and I took the bails off, luckily it was one of those that kind of went for us there,” Bairstow said.
>
> “I saw Matt Prior do it against South Africa at Lord’s and it’s just something that’s luck of the draw. You can’t really practice, it’s just one that goes your way.”
>
> But it’s his final 12-word remark that really puts the nail in the coffin and shuts down any argument England have attempted to make since the loss.
>
> “It’s within the rules of the game and that’s how it is,” he said.

If I look at how Bairstow got stumped by Carey in ISOLATION, I
sympathize with Bairstow BUT after learning what he himself did to other
batsmen, I changed my mind.

No sympathy for Bairstow anymore.

Re: Jonny Bairstow reignites Ashes row and accuses Australia of unfairness in field

<4ea58a19-deca-4350-967d-4f9524be7d7fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28983&group=uk.sport.cricket#28983

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 09:27:17 -0700 (PDT)
unfairness in field
From: tonythewelshtwat@gmail.com (Tony The Welsh Twat)
 by: Tony The Welsh Twat - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 16:27 UTC

On Tuesday, 24 October 2023 at 15:20:53 UTC+1, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> On 10/24/2023 6:24 AM, Hamish Laws wrote:
> > On Tuesday, October 24, 2023 at 5:35:03 PM UTC+11, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> >>
> >> Bairstow said there was a difference between stumping a batter sneaking
> >> out of their crease for cynical purposes, and catching a batter unaware,
> >> as Australia did.
> >>
> >> “If you try to gain an advantage, then it’s fair game,” he said. “But if
> >> you’re starting in your crease, you’ve ducked, tap, tap, scratched. I’ve
> >> even dragged my bat, looked up, and then gone.
> >
> > Yeah, the difference is that he was the one that got out and he hates that
> >
> > Here's him stumping a batsman who'd never left his crease until after the ball was settled in Bairstow's gloves when the batsman started to adjust his position
> >
> > https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/the-ashes/jonny-bairstow-footage-all-but-silences-englands-spirit-of-the-game-debate/news-story/3650c1597dd821d71866319c5b71c50a
> >
> > here's his comments on it
> >
> > “I saw him lift his foot and I took the bails off, luckily it was one of those that kind of went for us there,” Bairstow said.
> >
> > “I saw Matt Prior do it against South Africa at Lord’s and it’s just something that’s luck of the draw. You can’t really practice, it’s just one that goes your way.”
> >
> > But it’s his final 12-word remark that really puts the nail in the coffin and shuts down any argument England have attempted to make since the loss.
> >
> > “It’s within the rules of the game and that’s how it is,” he said.
> If I look at how Bairstow got stumped by Carey in ISOLATION, I
> sympathize with Bairstow BUT after learning what he himself did to other
> batsmen, I changed my mind.
>
> No sympathy for Bairstow anymore.

How can you tell when a British Airways flight from London lands in Sydney?

The whining goes on long after the pilot has shut the engines down.