You can't carve your way to success without cutting remarks.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / “Educating people wasn’t working… Hopefully this will deter others”: Police target motorists using city centre pedestrian and cycle zone as a “shortcut”

SubjectAuthor
* “Educating people wasn’t working… Hopefully thswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: “Educating people wasn’t workingJNugent
+* Re: “Educating people wasn’t working… Hopefullswldx...@gmail.com

1
“Educating people wasn’t working… Hopefully this will deter others”: Police target motorists using city centre pedestrian and cycle zone as a “shortcut”

<6fc704f3-0d34-46c8-9eb8-218b97ca0da1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29036&group=uk.rec.cycling#29036

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 07:15:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: “Educating_people_wasn’t_working…_Hopefully_th
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 28 May 2023 14:15 UTC

Nine motorists were fined in a single day for driving through a city centre pedestrian and cycle zone as police announced a shift in tactics to combat the illegal rat-running, just weeks after locals came together to ‘block’ drivers from using the controversial street.

On Thursday 18 May, Norfolk Constabulary issued fines to nine drivers flouting the rules on Exchange Street in Norwich, the scene of often dangerous and heated confrontations between motorists and cyclists and pedestrians since the busy shopping street was closed to motor traffic in 2020, the Norwich Evening News reports (link is external).

Officers confirmed that the recent targeted action was not the first time that fines have been handed out to motorists using the street, though it does appear to represent a shift in tactics from the force’s previous focus on giving guidance and education to rat-running drivers, who have continued to use the cycling and walking route to continue through Norwich city centre.

The enforcement also appears to signify a shift away from the police’s targeting of residents attempting to stop what has been described by local campaign groups as the normalisation of “mass law breaking” by motorists.

Last October, Harry Mach was arrested after he stood in the street in an attempt to block oncoming cars, with the charges against him only recently being dropped after he pleaded not guilty to “unlawfully obstructing free passage on the road”. A month later, 66-year-old Lucy Hall was forcibly removed by the police after she acted as a “human bollard” to demonstrate how many drivers were illegally using the road.

“The road was turned into a pedestrianised zone by Norfolk County Council and is closed to motorised traffic between 10am and 4pm seven days a week,” a police spokesperson said.

“Enforcement is just one of the ways officers are tackling non-compliance, along with signage and education in this narrow and busy city centre street.

“People are reminded the street remains open to cyclists in both directions. Officers routinely visit the area to discourage illegal vehicle movements and ultimately improve safety.”
“It’s just a shortcut for them, but it’s actively dangerous for the people using the street for its intended purpose”

While the enforcement on Exchange Street has been welcomed by local cyclists and pedestrians, some have voiced their concerns that last week’s campaign was a “one-off”, while noting the dangers of motorists continuing to use the street, a situation described by one activist as an “embarrassment”.

“We’re pleased that the police have finally recognised that educating people that it’s illegal to drive down Exchange Street simply wasn’t working and that it was necessary to actually enforce the law by ticketing offenders. Hopefully this will deter others,” Norwich Cycling Campaign’s Peter Silburn told road.cc.

“This needs to be the norm – and not just a one-off exercise – until a longer-term solution can be implemented, and the benefits of pedestrianisation can be realised for citizens and businesses,” adds Matt White, of Car Free Norwich.

“That Exchange Street is still subject to regular illegal driving, three years after introduction of the zone, is an embarrassment.”

Fern Blevins, a local parent, also described the ongoing situation as “actively dangerous” for people legally using the street.

“There’s a huge sign at the start of the road saying ‘pedestrian and cycle zone’, yet drivers keep using the street,” she said.

“It’s just a shortcut for them but it’s actively dangerous for the people using the street for its intended purpose. This is especially so for those with wheelchairs, pushchairs, or small children, for whom it’s not so easy to hop up on a kerb out of the way when a driver decides to push their way through.

“My child was nearly knocked over last week by a motorist trying to push their way past pedestrians. It’s not okay.

“Hopefully the thought of getting a ticket might make some of these drivers actually follow the rules.” Earlier this month, we reported that Car Free Norwich organised an event on Exchange Street which saw residents, including families and children, come together to take action by forming one massive, informal human blockade to stop drivers using the street..

“It’s clear that Norfolk County Council and the police aren’t succeeding in enforcing their own regulations as drivers continue to drive down there almost two and a half years on,” Silburn said..

“So, the residents just said enough is enough and organised an event, inviting everyone to gather in the street and remind any motorists trying to drive down there that they are breaking the law and will risk getting a fine.

“For two hours on lunchtime on Saturday, the street was really functioning as it should be. It was quite interesting to see the calm response from drivers, there was no real aggression from them. I think the fact that there were families there, a real mix of young and old, men and women, drivers could see that they’re not going to get through there.”

https://road.cc/content/news/police-target-motorists-using-cycle-zone-shortcut-301521

Re: “Educating people wasn’t working… Hopefully this will deter others”: Police target motorists using city centre pedestrian and chav-cycle zone as a “shortcut”

<kdh7jvFgotfU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29037&group=uk.rec.cycling#29037

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: “Educating people wasn’t working
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 15:43:11 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 28 May 2023 14:43 UTC

> [...]
> “It’s clear that Norfolk County Council and the police aren’t succeeding in enforcing their own regulations as drivers continue to drive down there almost two and a half years on,” Silburn said.
> “So, the residents just said enough is enough and organised an event, inviting everyone to gather in the street and remind any motorists trying to drive down there that they are breaking the law and will risk getting a fine.
> “For two hours on lunchtime on Saturday, the street was really functioning as it should be. It was quite interesting to see the calm response from drivers, there was no real aggression from them. I think the fact that there were families there, a real mix of young and old, men and women, drivers could see that they’re not going to get through there.”

The usual hate-filled rant from the illiterates at road.cc, though now
suitably amended.

Re: “Educating people wasn’t working… Hopefully this will deter others”: Police target motorists using city centre pedestrian and cycle zone as a “shortcut”

<b28e6147-775d-4b47-aaf3-b00022901109n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29041&group=uk.rec.cycling#29041

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 08:46:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_“Educating_people_wasn’t_working…_Hopefull
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 28 May 2023 15:46 UTC

giff77 replied to AidanR | 2011 posts | 34 min ago
0 likes

Randomly mix it up. A handful of PCs around for a couple of hours and change the time frame. Change location on street. Motorist thinks they've got away with it and all of a sudden there's a peeler standing at the exit rather than the entrance. Keep them on their toes.

Re: “Educating people wasn’t working… Hopefull y this will deter others”: Police target motorists using c ity centre pedestrian and cycle zone as a “shortcut”

<kdhc14FherbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29042&group=uk.rec.cycling#29042

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: “Educating people wasn’t
Date: 28 May 2023 15:58:28 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 28 May 2023 15:58 UTC

swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> giff77 replied to AidanR

> Randomly mix it up. A handful of PCs around for a couple of hours and
> change the time frame. Change location on street. Motorist thinks they've
> got away with it and all of a sudden there's a peeler standing at the
> exit rather than the entrance. Keep them on their toes.

What a good idea! They could also patrol pedestrian-only footpaths for
cyclists using them as rat runs.

It could save a cyclist’s life, so must be a good thing.

Might even save a pedestrian’s life, although a handful of pedestrian
deaths are regarded in the cycling world as being quite an acceptable
exchange for the freedom to do whatever cyclists want.

--
Spike

Re: “Educating people wasn’t working… Hopefully this will deter others”: Police target motorists using city centre pedestrian and cycle zone as a “shortcut”

<8bb58e67-3607-4b6e-82d9-7e9004c2dd3fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29045&group=uk.rec.cycling#29045

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 09:12:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 28 May 2023 16:12 UTC

QUOTE:“So, the residents just said enough is enough and organised an event, inviting everyone to gather in the street and remind any motorists trying to drive down there that they are breaking the law and will risk getting a fine. ENDS

How DARE pedestrians challenge drivers on their lawbreaking?

Re: “Educating people wasn’t working… Hopefull y this will deter others”: Police target motorists using c ity centre pedestrian and cycle zone as a “shortcut”

<kdhig3Fids2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29050&group=uk.rec.cycling#29050

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 28 May 2023 17:48:51 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 28 May 2023 17:48 UTC

> QUOTE:“So, the residents just said enough is enough and organised an
> event, inviting everyone to gather in the street and remind any motorists
> trying to drive down there that they are breaking the law and will risk
> getting a fine. ENDS
>
> How DARE pedestrians challenge drivers on their lawbreaking?

The chances are they won’t get three years for raising their voices and
waving an arm about, because drivers aren’t in the same class as pavement
cyclists.

--
Spike

Re: “Educating people wasn’t working… Hopefully this will deter others”: Police target motorists using city centre pedestrian and cycle zone as a “shortcut”

<b03ca3d6-24b5-43ee-9b93-243fd2ebbc1an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29051&group=uk.rec.cycling#29051

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 11:01:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 28 May 2023 18:01 UTC

QUOTE: On Thursday 18 May, Norfolk Constabulary issued fines to nine drivers flouting the rules on Exchange Street in Norwich, the scene of often dangerous and heated confrontations between motorists and cyclists and pedestrians since the busy shopping street was closed to motor traffic in 2020, the Norwich Evening News reports. ENDS

So basically, these drivers have got away with their serial lawbreaking for THREE YEARS?
At last the day of reckoning has arrived and not a moment too soon.

Re: “Educating people wasn’t working… Hopefull y this will deter others”: Police target motorists using c ity centre pedestrian and cycle zone as a “shortcut”

<kdhmmlFj2alU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29053&group=uk.rec.cycling#29053

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 28 May 2023 19:00:37 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 28 May 2023 19:00 UTC

> QUOTE: On Thursday 18 May, Norfolk Constabulary issued fines…

Probably FPNs.

>…to nine drivers flouting the rules on Exchange Street in Norwich, the
> scene of often dangerous and heated confrontations between motorists and
> cyclists and pedestrians since the busy shopping street was closed to
> motor traffic in 2020, the Norwich Evening News reports. ENDS

> So basically, these drivers have got away with their serial lawbreaking for THREE YEARS?

Pavement cyclists have been lawbreaking for far longer than that. Rhiannon
Bennett, RIP, 2007, for example.

> At last the day of reckoning has arrived and not a moment too soon.

Pure emotional hyperbole.

--
Spike

Re: “Educating people wasn’t working… Hopefully this will deter others”: Police target motorists using city centre pedestrian and cycle zone as a “shortcut”

<910e1e5c-d3a0-47e1-bd06-2d4df4598563n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29054&group=uk.rec.cycling#29054

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 12:33:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 28 May 2023 19:33 UTC

QUOTE: Oldfatgit | 566 posts | 2 hours ago
1 like

Guess Norfolk Police have been shamed in to doing something.

The only thing that will work though, is rising bollards to block the road completely at the appropriate times. ENDS
I like these ones in Manchester bus lanes.
Sumpbusters.

https://youtu.be/KIas-5pwpZk