From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: e-bike explodes into fireball
Date: 29 May 2023 07:54:33 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 29 May 2023 07:54 UTC

[The video is impressive!]

Watch: Moment e-bike explodes into fireball in block of flats

Owner says he is 'shaken up' by the incident and will not have another
e-bike in his home again

Footage released by the London Fire Brigade shows the moment a faulty
e-bike catches fire and explodes.

The incident, which took place at a block of flats in Roehampton last week,
occured after the bike's lithium battery went into thermal runaway and
erupted into flames.

The video shows the bike producing a highly flammable and toxic vapour
cloud, before igniting in a fireball a second later.

Avi Gooransingh, 29, the owner of the bike, said he was "shaken up" by the
incident and will not have another e-bike in his home again.

"I arrived home and there was such a potent smell. I asked my sister if she
was using nail polish remover, but she replied no and said it was coming
from my bike," he said.

"I smelt the bike and I immediately thought something might be wrong, so I
thought the safest thing to do would be to get the bike out of the flat.

"When the bike exploded, I panicked. I thought my family was going to die,
especially if I hadn’t moved it. My sister and I ran back into the flat and
called 999."

He added: "If you do own an e-bike or scooter, I would recommend charging
and storing it outside, and if you can’t, then seriously think about
whether you should buy one."

<https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/26/video-ebike-fire-explodes-fireball-london/>

--
Spike