There's no future in time travel.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclists put lives at risk

SubjectAuthor
* Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclists put lives at riskswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclistsSpike
`* Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclists put livesswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of chav-cyclists putJNugent
 +* Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclistsSpike
 |`* Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclistsSpike
 | `- Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of chav-cyclists putJNugent
 +- Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclists put livesswldx...@gmail.com
 `- Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclists put livesswldx...@gmail.com

1
Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclists put lives at risk

<6809bca1-86e3-4451-9082-5046b0cd8c48n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29115&group=uk.rec.cycling#29115

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 08:28:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclists put lives at risk
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 29 May 2023 15:28 UTC

A survey has found that almost all drivers who responded believe that motorists making close passes on cyclists are putting people’s lives at risk. The survey, conducted on behalf of Cycling Scotland as part of its Give Cycle Space campaign (link is external), coincides with Police Scotland launching a close pass initiative to target drivers who give people on bikes insufficient room when passing them.

According to Cycling Scotland, findings from the survey of more than 500 drivers who do not cycle on the road and were interviewed face to face last month by research firm Progressive include that:

97 per cent of drivers agree that people who drive too closely to people cycling are putting lives at risk

Over a third admit that they don’t think of someone cycling as a person, being more focused on getting past and getting on with their journey

8/10 drivers worry they could seriously injure someone cycling if they don’t give them enough space

96 per cent of drivers acknowledged that a vehicle getting too close would be frightening for someone cycling

83 per cent confessed to feeling frustration when trying to pass people on bikes

30 per cent of drivers didn’t agree that people cycling have equal rights on the roads as drivers.

Changes made to the Highway Code in January last year include drivers being advised that they should give cyclists at least 1.5 metres of space when overtaking them at speeds of up to 30mph, but many drivers still overtake too closely.

Indeed, Cycling Scotland’s survey also found out that 23 per cent of drivers were unaware that overtaking a cyclist while not leaving them at least 1.5 metres of space could result in a charge of careless or dangerous driving.

As a result, the charity has focused on the message of “Leave Space for a Life” as part of its annual Give Cycle Space campaign, which will also see Police Scotland target drivers under its Operation Close Pass initiative over the summer months.

Keith Irving, chief executive of Cycling Scotland, said: “Every week in Scotland, at least four people cycling suffer serious, potentially life-changing injuries, usually from a crash with a vehicle.

“To make cycling safer and support more people to travel by bike, we need a network of dedicated cycle lanes, police enforcement and education on reducing road danger.

“Our campaign highlights that drivers need to give at least 1.5 metres of space when passing someone on a bike. Together with the police, we’re raising awareness of the risks of careless driving.

“More people are taking up cycling in Scotland and even more people need to cycle more journeys for our country to reach net zero. We must not accept a corresponding rise in serious injuries and deaths.

“Please remember to drive safely around people on bikes,” he added. “Leave space for a life.”

Supported by Police Scotland, Cycling Scotland’s annual ‘Give Cycle Space’ campaign aims to reduce close pass incidents and make Scotland’s roads safer for people cycling, by raising awareness of the legal passing distance and the responsibility of drivers to safely overtake.

Chief Superintendent Hilary Sloan, Head of Road Policing at Police Scotland, commented: “Every driver has a responsibility to safely overtake cyclists and understand how their actions can impact the life of that person riding a bike.

“As we approach the summer months, there will be more people using Scotland’s roads. All road users should take care, plan their journey and be aware of cyclists who are more vulnerable.”

“Over the summer, Police Scotland will conduct Operation Close Pass in locations across Scotland to improve road safety.

“Enforcement is key to preventing road danger and dashcam and helmet cam footage can provide vital evidence to support this. Introduction of a dashcam portal, now in use throughout England and Wales, is critical to allow people to report dangerous driving behaviour and keep everyone safer on our roads.

Last week, a close pass operation in Aberdeen led to 11 motorists facing charges after they overtook a plain clothes police officer on a bike too closely, which footage of the overtaking manoeuvres captured on camera.

The operation in Aberdeen was led by Sergeant Geoff Smart from the North East Road Policing Team, who said: “Cyclists are vulnerable road users, and it is important for drivers to recognise that and drive appropriately to cyclists on the road in accordance with the law to prevent collisions and serious or fatal injuries occurring.

“It is disappointing to see that so many drivers were identified careless driving within such a short period of time and this evidences that awareness, education and enforcement still needs to be carried out.

“Drivers caught committing this offence can be given three penalty points on their licence and £100 fine,” he added.

Besides close pass initiatives, Police Scotland also regularly uses cameras to catch law-breaking drivers who have committed other offences.

When we reported on the launch of Cycling Scotland’s campaign earlier this month, we highlighted how there had been criticism of Police Scotland’s involvement given that it has yet to introduce a dedicated portal enabling third party footage – for example, of a close pass captured by a cyclist’s action camera – to be easily uploaded to the force.

The charity Cycling UK has previously said that the delay in introducing such a portal is putting cyclists’ lives at risk.

https://road.cc/content/news/almost-all-drivers-agree-close-passes-risk-lives-301537

Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclists put lives at risk

<kdjvs5FtqvcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29116&group=uk.rec.cycling#29116

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclists
put lives at risk
Date: 29 May 2023 15:49:25 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 29 May 2023 15:49 UTC

What we need now is a similar recognition, by cyclists, of the dangers of
cyclists close-passing pedestrians, whether by cycling illegally on
footways or in pedestrian-only areas, or more generally.

The delay in putting a reporting portal in place is putting pedestrian
lives at risk

It will be a long wait until the time when 97 per cent of cyclists agree
that cyclists who cycle too closely to people are putting lives at risk.

--
Spike

Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of chav-cyclists put lives at risk

<kdk0m3FtuoaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29119&group=uk.rec.cycling#29119

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of chav-cyclists put
lives at risk
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 17:03:16 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 29 May 2023 16:03 UTC

On 29/05/2023 04:49 pm, Spike wrote:

> What we need now is a similar recognition, by cyclists, of the dangers of
> cyclists close-passing pedestrians, whether by cycling illegally on
> footways or in pedestrian-only areas, or more generally.
>
> The delay in putting a reporting portal in place is putting pedestrian
> lives at risk
>
> It will be a long wait until the time when 97 per cent of cyclists agree
> that cyclists who cycle too closely to people are putting lives at risk.

As well as that, there needs to be official recognition of the dangers
of fairy-cyclists on their chav-bikes passing motor vehicles too closely.

Especially at the approach to traffic lights, etc.

> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>> A survey has found that almost all drivers who responded believe that
>> motorists making close passes on chav-cyclists are putting people’s lives at
>> risk. The survey, conducted on behalf of Chav Cycling Scotland as part of its
>> Give Chav Cycle Space campaign (link is external), coincides with Police
>> Scotland launching a close pass initiative to target drivers who give
>> people on chav-bikes insufficient room when passing them.
>>
>> According to Cycling Scotland, findings from the survey of more than 500
>> drivers who do not ride chav-cycles on the road and were interviewed face to face
>> last month by research firm Progressive include that:
>>
>> 97 per cent of drivers agree that people who drive too closely to
>> people chav-cycling are putting lives at risk
>>
>> Over a third admit that they don’t think of someone chav-cycling as a
>> person, being more focused on getting past and getting on with their journey
>>
>> 8/10 drivers worry they could seriously injure someone chav-cycling if
>> they don’t give them enough space
>>
>> 96 per cent of drivers acknowledged that a vehicle getting too close
>> would be frightening for someone cycling
>>
>> 83 per cent confessed to feeling frustration when trying to pass people on chav-bikes
>>
>> 30 per cent of drivers didn’t agree that people chav-cycling have equal
>> rights on the roads as drivers.
>>
>> Changes made to the Highway Code in January last year include drivers
>> being advised that they should give cchav-yclists at least 1.5 metres of space
>> when overtaking them at speeds of up to 30mph, but many drivers still overtake too closely.
>>
>> Indeed, Chav-Cycling Scotland’s survey also found out that 23 per cent of
>> drivers were unaware that overtaking a chav-cyclist while not leaving them at
>> least 1.5 metres of space could result in a charge of careless or dangerous driving.
>>
>> As a result, the charity has focused on the message of “Leave Space for a
>> Life” as part of its annual Give Chav Cycle Space campaign, which will also
>> see Police Scotland target drivers under its Operation Close Pass
>> initiative over the summer months.
>>
>> Keith Irving, chief executive of Cycling Scotland, said: “Every week in
>> Scotland, at least four people suffer serious, potentially
>> life-changing injuries, usually from a crash with a vehicle...

....but often due to their own behaviour is a single-vehicle "accident"
(eg, when a dry-stone wall on the other side of a footway suddenly leaps
into their path).

>> “To make cycling safer and support more people to travel by chav-bike, we need
>> a network of dedicated chav-cycle lanes, police enforcement and education on
>> reducing road danger.
>>
>> “Our campaign highlights that drivers need to give at least 1.5 metres of
>> space when passing someone on a chav-bike. Together with the police, we’re
>> raising awareness of the risks of careless driving.
>>
>> “More people are taking up chav-cycling in Scotland and even more people need
>> to chav-cycle more journeys for our country to reach net zero. We must not
>> accept a corresponding rise in serious injuries and deaths.
>>
>> “Please remember to drive safely around people on chav-bikes,” he added.
>> “Leave space for a life.”
>>
>> Supported by Police Scotland, Chav-Cycling Scotland’s annual ‘Give Chav Cycle
>> Space’ campaign aims to reduce close pass incidents and make Scotland’s
>> roads safer for people chav-cycling, by raising awareness of the legal passing
>> distance and the responsibility of drivers to safely overtake.
>>
>> Chief Superintendent Hilary Sloan, Head of Road Policing at Police
>> Scotland, commented: “Every driver has a responsibility to safely
>> overtake chav-cyclists and understand how their actions can impact the life of
>> that person riding a chav-bike.
>>
>> “As we approach the summer months, there will be more people using
>> Scotland’s roads. All road users should take care, plan their journey and
>> be aware of chav-cyclists who are more vulnerable.”

So chav-cyclists are not "road-users". Official. According to Police
Scotland.

>> “Over the summer, Police Scotland will conduct Operation Close Pass in
>> locations across Scotland to improve road safety.
>>
>> “Enforcement is key to preventing road danger and dashcam and helmet cam
>> footage can provide vital evidence to support this. Introduction of a
>> dashcam portal, now in use throughout England and Wales, is critical to
>> allow people to report dangerous driving behaviour and keep everyone safer on our roads.
>>
>> Last week, a close pass operation in Aberdeen led to 11 motorists facing
>> charges after they overtook a plain clothes police officer on a chav-bike too
>> closely, which footage of the overtaking manoeuvres captured on camera.
>>
>> The operation in Aberdeen was led by Sergeant Geoff Smart from the North
>> East Road Policing Team, who said: “Chav-cyclists are vulnerable road users,
>> and it is important for drivers to recognise that and drive appropriately
>> to chav-cyclists on the road in accordance with the law to prevent collisions
>> and serious or fatal injuries occurring.
>>
>> “It is disappointing to see that so many drivers were identified careless
>> driving within such a short period of time and this evidences that
>> awareness, education and enforcement still needs to be carried out.
>>
>> “Drivers caught committing this offence can be given three penalty points
>> on their licence and £100 fine,” he added.
>>
>> Besides close pass initiatives, Police Scotland also regularly uses
>> cameras to catch law-breaking drivers who have committed other offences.
>>
>> When we reported on the launch of Chav Cycling Scotland’s campaign earlier
>> this month, we highlighted how there had been criticism of Police
>> Scotland’s involvement given that it has yet to introduce a dedicated
>> portal enabling third party footage – for example, of a close pass
>> captured by a chav-cyclist’s action camera – to be easily uploaded to the force.
>>
>> The charity Chav Cycling UK has previously said that the delay in introducing
>> such a portal is putting chav-cyclists’ lives at risk.
>>
>> https://road.cc/content/news/almost-all-drivers-agree-close-passes-risk-lives-301537

Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclists put lives at risk

<ab909f5e-50c0-436a-b223-078eb68d7cd9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29124&group=uk.rec.cycling#29124

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 09:08:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclists put lives
at risk
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 29 May 2023 16:08 UTC

IanMSpencer | 1807 posts | 1 hour ago
3 likes

The concerning thing is the sulky equal rights bit at the end of the survey..

We have a national issue which goes back to Thatcherism and "no such thing as society" where many people sincerely believe that they do not have a need to give consideration to others (while demanding it for themselves).

While we, as a nation, no longer consider ourselves as having a responsibility to care for others, with the magnification of attitudes that occurs sealed in a box behind the wheel of a vehicle, it is hardly surprising that consideration for cyclists is a difficult mental challenge.

It is of course not just cyclists at risk, driving is competitive rather than cooperative in the UK.

The fix though is not just road usage, it is a nationwide reset, where being woke is considered the right and correct thing to be, and that means the poisonous propaganda of this government and the intolerance of others by extremist groups needs to come to an end. Where intolerance is glorified, other groups are caught in the crossfire, and I think the current extremist position of some people with regard to cyclists is born from the promotion of intolerance in other walks of life.

Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of chav-cyclists put lives at risk

<kdk28bFu6djU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29128&group=uk.rec.cycling#29128

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
lives at risk
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 17:30:04 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 29 May 2023 16:30 UTC

> IanMSpencer | 1807 posts | 1 hour ago
> 3 likes
>
> The concerning thing is the sulky equal rights bit at the end of the survey.
>
> We have a national issue which goes back to Thatcherism and "no such thing as society" where many people sincerely believe that they do not have a need to give consideration to others (while demanding it for themselves).

You've hit the nail on the head: that's chav-cyclists to a capital T!

Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclists put lives at risk

<kdk2h7Fu832U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29129&group=uk.rec.cycling#29129

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
put lives at risk
Date: 29 May 2023 16:34:47 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 29 May 2023 16:34 UTC

> IanMSpencer | 1807 posts | 1 hour ago
> 3 likes
>
> The concerning thing is the sulky equal rights bit at the end of the survey.
>
> We have a national issue which goes back to Thatcherism and "no such
> thing as society" where many people sincerely believe that they do not
> have a need to give consideration to others (while demanding it for themselves).

“…many people sincerely believe that they do not have a need to give
consideration to others”.

By jingo, IanMSpencer has summed up cyclists to a T.

--
Spike

Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclists put lives at risk

<kdk2jnFu8jeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29131&group=uk.rec.cycling#29131

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
put lives at risk
Date: 29 May 2023 16:36:07 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 29 May 2023 16:36 UTC

Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>> IanMSpencer | 1807 posts | 1 hour ago
>> 3 likes
>>
>> The concerning thing is the sulky equal rights bit at the end of the survey.
>>
>> We have a national issue which goes back to Thatcherism and "no such
>> thing as society" where many people sincerely believe that they do not
>> have a need to give consideration to others (while demanding it for themselves).
>
> “…many people sincerely believe that they do not have a need to give
> consideration to others”.
>
> By jingo, IanMSpencer has summed up cyclists to a T.

LOL! Just seen your reply! Spot on.

--
Spike

Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclists put lives at risk

<64ab40f0-88ef-405c-a81b-6315f454eb74n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29132&group=uk.rec.cycling#29132

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 09:36:41 -0700 (PDT)
at risk
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 29 May 2023 16:36 UTC

Oldfatgit | 567 posts | 1 hour ago
1 like

"Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclists put lives at risk" ...
However, none of them agrees to monitoring after agreeing tochange their driving habits.

Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of chav-cyclists put lives at risk

<kdkc62F1557U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29146&group=uk.rec.cycling#29146

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
lives at risk
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 20:19:30 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 29 May 2023 19:19 UTC

On 29/05/2023 05:36 pm, Spike wrote:

> Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
>> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> IanMSpencer | 1807 posts | 1 hour ago

>>> 3 likes
>>> The concerning thing is the sulky equal rights bit at the end of the survey.
>>> We have a national issue which goes back to Thatcherism and "no such
>>> thing as society" where many people sincerely believe that they do not
>>> have a need to give consideration to others (while demanding it for themselves).

>> “…many people sincerely believe that they do not have a need to give
>> consideration to others”.

>> By jingo, IanMSpencer has summed up cyclists to a T.
>
> LOL! Just seen your reply! Spot on.

It was the obvious response. It jumped off the screen.

Re: Almost all drivers agree that close passes of cyclists put lives at risk

<61d14560-06ac-4ebf-b542-b58f91b0ceacn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29147&group=uk.rec.cycling#29147

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 12:29:47 -0700 (PDT)
at risk
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 29 May 2023 19:29 UTC

eburtthebike | 4408 posts | 2 hours ago
3 likes
97 per cent of drivers agree that people who drive too closely to people cycling are putting lives at risk

Over a third admit that they don’t think of someone cycling as a person, being more focused on getting past and getting on with their journey

8/10 drivers worry they could seriously injure someone cycling if they don’t give them enough space

Apart from the confusing use of fractions, both written and numerical, and percentages, something doesn't add up. If 34% of drivers don't think of a cyclist as a person, how can 80% worry about seriously injuring someone, and 97% of them agree that close passes put lives at risk?

I wonder what questions they were asked?