You are destined to become the commandant of the fighting men of the department of transportation.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: Double hat trick

SubjectAuthor
* Double hat trickmax.it
+- Double hat trickmike
`* Double hat trickMister Johnson
 `* Double hat trickDavid North
  +* Double hat trickJohn Hall
  |`- Double hat trickDavid North
  `* Double hat trickHamish Laws
   `- Double hat trickHVS

1
Double hat trick

<an74lil5i5squ0rmrf9o9hjdbrvse0c66s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29163&group=uk.sport.cricket#29163

From: max@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Double hat trick
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 13:05:18 +0000
 by: max.it - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 13:05 UTC

Australian club cricketer takes six wickets in final over to win match
Last updated on3 hours ago3 hours ago.
From the sectionCricket
A cricket helmet, bat, gloves and two cricket balls on the outfield of
a cricket pitch
Surfers Paradise were 174-4 chasing 179 going into the final over
before Mudgeeraba captain Gareth Morgan's heroics
It is a cricketing miracle that could sit alongside Ian Botham 1981 or
Ben Stokes 2019. But instead of Headingley, this latest incredible
comeback took place in the humble surroundings of the Carrara
Community Centre on Australia's Gold Coast.

Club side Surfers Paradise had victory in their grasp against
Mudgeeraba in the Gold Coast's Premier League Division Three. Chasing
179, they needed just five runs from the final over with six wickets
in hand to win.

Mudgeeraba captain Gareth Morgan had other ideas, taking six wickets
in six balls to seal the unlikeliest of victories.

"It is funny, the umpire said to me at the start of the over that I
needed to take a hat-trick or something to win the game," Morgan told
the Gold Coast Bulletin.

"When it happened he just sort of looked at me."

The chaos began when opener Jake Garland, a reporter for the Gold
Coast Bulletin, smacked the ball straight to mid-wicket to depart for
65. The next two batters were caught at mid-on and short mid-wicket to
make it three in a row - but Morgan was not done there.

"I remember thinking after I got the hat-trick - I don't want to lose
this game now. Then it just went crazy," said Morgan.

The next batter was caught to point to leave Surfers Paradise wobbling
on 174-8. Morgan then needed no further help from his team-mates in
the field, with the final two batters clean bowled.

"When I saw the stumps go back on the last ball I couldn't believe it,
I've never seen anything like it," he said.

For reporter Garland, he had broken a golden rule of journalism by
becoming part of the story. Not that he minded too much on this
occasion.

"I mean all you can really do now is laugh about it," he wrote on X,
formerly Twitter. "Always wanted to be part of history with sport
somehow, didn't think it would be for this reason."

Incredibly, this is not the first time Morgan has been involved in
some bowling heroics.

Writing on the club's Facebook page, Morgan's father Huw said: "A
proud father here. Gareth won't tell you, but as a young bloke, he
once took five wickets in an over! He didn't get six, because there
was only five wickets left at the start of the over."

The most wickets taken in an over of professional cricket is five,
which has been achieved on three occasions, Neil Wagner playing for
Otago in 2011, Al-Amin Hossain for a Bangladesh Cricket Board XI in
2013 and Abhimanyu Mithun for Indian state side Karnataka in 2019.

Re: Double hat trick

<6734ebbc-6aec-4655-9125-bc005f90f634n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29170&group=uk.sport.cricket#29170

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 07:26:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Double hat trick
From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 15:26 UTC

On Monday, November 13, 2023 at 1:05:23 PM UTC, max.it wrote:
> Australian club cricketer takes six wickets in final over to win match
> Last updated on3 hours ago3 hours ago.
> From the sectionCricket
> A cricket helmet, bat, gloves and two cricket balls on the outfield of
> a cricket pitch
> Surfers Paradise were 174-4 chasing 179 going into the final over
> before Mudgeeraba captain Gareth Morgan's heroics

its a remakable feat. the most i've ever seen was caddicks 4 at headingley.

> The most wickets taken in an over of professional cricket is five,
> which has been achieved on three occasions, Neil Wagner playing for
> Otago in 2011,

I didnt recall this at all and so had to look it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5eGlA6YvkA

mike

Re: Double hat trick

<7IE4N.80506$99Z2.66671@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29173&group=uk.sport.cricket#29173

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
From: root@example.net (Mister Johnson)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 06:45:23 GMT
 by: Mister Johnson - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 06:45 UTC

On 2023-11-13, max.it <max@tea.time> wrote:
> Australian club cricketer takes six wickets in final over to win match
> Last updated on3 hours ago3 hours ago.
> From the sectionCricket
> A cricket helmet, bat, gloves and two cricket balls on the outfield of
> a cricket pitch
> Surfers Paradise were 174-4 chasing 179 going into the final over
> before Mudgeeraba captain Gareth Morgan's heroics
> It is a cricketing miracle that could sit alongside Ian Botham 1981 or
> Ben Stokes 2019. But instead of Headingley, this latest incredible
> comeback took place in the humble surroundings of the Carrara
> Community Centre on Australia's Gold Coast.
>
> Club side Surfers Paradise had victory in their grasp against
> Mudgeeraba in the Gold Coast's Premier League Division Three. Chasing
> 179, they needed just five runs from the final over with six wickets
> in hand to win.
>
> Mudgeeraba captain Gareth Morgan had other ideas, taking six wickets
> in six balls to seal the unlikeliest of victories.
>
> "It is funny, the umpire said to me at the start of the over that I
> needed to take a hat-trick or something to win the game," Morgan told
> the Gold Coast Bulletin.
>
> "When it happened he just sort of looked at me."
>
> The chaos began when opener Jake Garland, a reporter for the Gold
> Coast Bulletin, smacked the ball straight to mid-wicket to depart for
> 65. The next two batters were caught at mid-on and short mid-wicket to
> make it three in a row - but Morgan was not done there.
>
> "I remember thinking after I got the hat-trick - I don't want to lose
> this game now. Then it just went crazy," said Morgan.
>
> The next batter was caught to point to leave Surfers Paradise wobbling
> on 174-8. Morgan then needed no further help from his team-mates in
> the field, with the final two batters clean bowled.
>
> "When I saw the stumps go back on the last ball I couldn't believe it,
> I've never seen anything like it," he said.
>
> For reporter Garland, he had broken a golden rule of journalism by
> becoming part of the story. Not that he minded too much on this
> occasion.
>
> "I mean all you can really do now is laugh about it," he wrote on X,
> formerly Twitter. "Always wanted to be part of history with sport
> somehow, didn't think it would be for this reason."
>
> Incredibly, this is not the first time Morgan has been involved in
> some bowling heroics.
>
> Writing on the club's Facebook page, Morgan's father Huw said: "A
> proud father here. Gareth won't tell you, but as a young bloke, he
> once took five wickets in an over! He didn't get six, because there
> was only five wickets left at the start of the over."
>
> The most wickets taken in an over of professional cricket is five,
> which has been achieved on three occasions, Neil Wagner playing for
> Otago in 2011, Al-Amin Hossain for a Bangladesh Cricket Board XI in
> 2013 and Abhimanyu Mithun for Indian state side Karnataka in 2019.

Quite extraordinary!

BTW, a double hat-trick is four in four.

Re: Double hat trick

<9f049e55-b8de-4a2d-8076-e625d909e0ecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29176&group=uk.sport.cricket#29176

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 05:35:38 -0800 (PST)
From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
 by: David North - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 13:35 UTC

On Tuesday, 14 November 2023 at 06:45:26 UTC, Mister Johnson wrote:
> On 2023-11-13, max.it <m...@tea.time> wrote:
> > Australian club cricketer takes six wickets in final over to win match

--snip--

> BTW, a double hat-trick is four in four.

In the ranks of silly cricket terminology, that's right up there with batters having "strike-rates" (rather than scoring rates) and calling a pitch a wicket.

ISTR that it was Mark Waugh who said that, by that logic, 101 is a double-century.

Re: Double hat trick

<LJwJIkA3Y6UlFwu1@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29178&group=uk.sport.cricket#29178

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 16:54:15 +0000
 by: John Hall - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 16:54 UTC

In message <9f049e55-b8de-4a2d-8076-e625d909e0ecn@googlegroups.com>,
David North <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>On Tuesday, 14 November 2023 at 06:45:26 UTC, Mister Johnson wrote:
>> On 2023-11-13, max.it <m...@tea.time> wrote:
>> > Australian club cricketer takes six wickets in final over to win match
>
>--snip--
>
>> BTW, a double hat-trick is four in four.
>
>In the ranks of silly cricket terminology, that's right up there with
>batters having "strike-rates" (rather than scoring rates) and calling a
>pitch a wicket.

I can see the logic behind it. If a hat-trick is a bowler taking wickets
with 3 consecutive balls, then balls 1, 2 and 3 are a hat-trick and so
are balls 2, 3 and 4. That would make taking 6 in 6 a quadruple
hat-trick.

>ISTR that it was Mark Waugh who said that, by that logic, 101 is a
>double-century.

I suppose he had a point.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: Double hat trick

<bab41de3-1f57-408b-81bf-a16716cd03b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29179&group=uk.sport.cricket#29179

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 18:40:59 -0800 (PST)
From: hamish.laws@gmail.com (Hamish Laws)
 by: Hamish Laws - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 02:40 UTC

On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 12:35:40 AM UTC+11, David North wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 November 2023 at 06:45:26 UTC, Mister Johnson wrote:
> > On 2023-11-13, max.it <m...@tea.time> wrote:
> > > Australian club cricketer takes six wickets in final over to win match
> --snip--
> > BTW, a double hat-trick is four in four.
> In the ranks of silly cricket terminology, that's right up there with batters having "strike-rates" (rather than scoring rates) and calling a pitch a wicket.

Why?
Wickets on balls 1,2,3
Wickets on balls 2,3,4
that's 2 hat tricks

> ISTR that it was Mark Waugh who said that, by that logic, 101 is a double-century.

No, because a double century is :"made 200 runs in an innings"

Re: Double hat trick

<krjdhnFq6vfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29180&group=uk.sport.cricket#29180

From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 08:24:24 +0000
 by: David North - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 08:24 UTC

On 14/11/2023 16:54, John Hall wrote:
> In message <9f049e55-b8de-4a2d-8076-e625d909e0ecn@googlegroups.com>,
> David North <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>>
>> --snip--
>>
>>> BTW, a double hat-trick is four in four.
>>
>> In the ranks of silly cricket terminology, that's right up there with
>> batters having "strike-rates" (rather than scoring rates) and calling
>> a pitch a wicket.
>
> I can see the logic behind it. If a hat-trick is a bowler taking wickets
> with 3 consecutive balls, then balls 1, 2 and 3 are a hat-trick and so
> are balls 2, 3 and 4.

Yes, it's two overlapping hat-tricks, but I wouldn't call it a double
hat-trick, as that involves counting the 2nd and 3rd wickets twice. Are
there any other cases where "double" is used in such a way?

A footballer's hat-trick involves scoring 3 goals in a match, whether
consecutive or not. If a footballer scores 4 goals in a match, you could
make 4 different hat-tricks out of those, but they don't call it a
quadruple hat-trick.

--
David North

Re: Double hat trick

<XnsB0BD845E35ABDwhhvans@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29181&group=uk.sport.cricket#29181

From: office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk (HVS)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 13:00:44 GMT
 by: HVS - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 13:00 UTC

On 15 Nov 2023, Hamish Laws wrote

> On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 12:35:40 AM UTC+11, David
> North wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 14 November 2023 at 06:45:26 UTC, Mister Johnson
>> wrote:
>> --snip--
>>> BTW, a double hat-trick is four in four.
>> In the ranks of silly cricket terminology, that's right up there
>> with bat
> ters having "strike-rates" (rather than scoring rates) and calling
> a pitch a wicket.
>
> Why?
> Wickets on balls 1,2,3
> Wickets on balls 2,3,4
> that's 2 hat tricks

Iknow that's how it's counted, but in my book that's double-counting
the wickets on balls 2 and 3.