Caution: breathing may be hazardous to your health.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bikeswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’Spike
`* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bikeswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’Spike
 +* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bikeswldx...@gmail.com
 |`- Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’Spike
 `* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bikeswldx...@gmail.com
  +- Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’Spike
  +* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bikeswldx...@gmail.com
  |`- Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’Spike
  `* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bikeswldx...@gmail.com
   +* Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’Spike
   |`- Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bikeMike Collins
   `- Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bikeswldx...@gmail.com

1
Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<241f0ff2-a347-427c-aa4b-7e975fd99967n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29190&group=uk.rec.cycling#29190

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 12:10:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Doctors_‘celebrate’_Ulez_expansion_with_bike
_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 31 May 2023 19:10 UTC

QUOTE: “So we’re cycling to celebrate this expansion, and we call on all healthcare workers across London to speak up for safe air." ENDS

Tony Blackburn wants more Ella Adoo-Kissi-Debrah's killed by car fumes - it's only fair as they pay something to spew out toxic gases into children's lungs.

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kdpt9bFrhrlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29196&group=uk.rec.cycling#29196

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’
Date: 31 May 2023 21:42:03 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 31 May 2023 21:42 UTC

> QUOTE: “So we’re cycling to celebrate this expansion, and we call on all
> healthcare workers across London to speak up for safe air." ENDS
>
> Tony Blackburn wants more Ella Adoo-Kissi-Debrah's killed by car fumes -
> it's only fair as they pay something to spew out toxic gases into children's lungs.

A ‘dramatic reduction’ in emissions and air pollution in the last year -
yet no mention at all of even one asthma case fewer than before.

Yet Khan said “The evidence from this landmark report is clear – the ULEZ
works. This is beyond dispute. It has already reduced toxic air pollution
by almost half in central London and by over a fifth in inner London,
transforming the quality of air for four million Londoners”.

So where is the mention of the reduction in asthma cases that could have
been expected if the ‘pollution causes asthma’ hypothesis is true?

Whatever ULEZ is about, air quality and pollution is the excuse, not the
reason.

80% of asthma cases are due to viral infection.

Indoor pollution can be 8x that of outdoors.

Khan’s KhracKhdown on Khars is political, not environmental.

--
Spike

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<c2a1566c-fa90-4460-b9e9-77de3600e8afn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29198&group=uk.rec.cycling#29198

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 22:55:11 -0700 (PDT)
_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 05:55 UTC

A London mother who is campaigning against air pollution 10 years on from her daughter's death has said she will not "apologise" for her work.

Ella Kissi-Debrah was the first person to have air pollution listed as a cause of death at an inquest in the UK.

Rosamund Adoo-Kissi-Debrah has been calling on MPs to introduce the Clean Air (Human Rights) Bill - or "Ella's law", named after her daughter.

She said she wanted to ensure "no child in this country will die from asthma".

At the conclusion of Ella Kissi-Debrah's inquest in 2020, coroner Philip Barlow said the nine-year-old had been exposed to excessive levels of pollution before she died.

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kdr3tfF2k85U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29201&group=uk.rec.cycling#29201

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Jun 2023 08:41:19 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 08:41 UTC

> A London mother who is campaigning against air pollution 10 years on from
> her daughter's death has said she will not "apologise" for her work.
>
> Ella Kissi-Debrah was the first person to have air pollution listed as a
> cause of death at an inquest in the UK.
>
> Rosamund Adoo-Kissi-Debrah has been calling on MPs to introduce the Clean
> Air (Human Rights) Bill - or "Ella's law", named after her daughter.
>
> She said she wanted to ensure "no child in this country will die from asthma".

> At the conclusion of Ella Kissi-Debrah's inquest in 2020, coroner Philip
> Barlow said the nine-year-old had been exposed to excessive levels of
> pollution before she died.

Asthma: Six Tips

Air Pollution: Six top tips from asthma.org.uk

Open windows if you can (be cautious on high pollen or pollution days) or
use extractor fans, especially in kitchens and bathrooms. It’ll help clear
any indoor pollutants and prevent damp and mould.

Reduce dust mites as much as possible by regularly washing bedding or using
anti-allergy covers. Read more on dust mites.

Avoid aerosols and sprays – go for non-spray cleaning and personal
products.

Avoid strong smells and chemicals – look for mild or unscented products,
and products low in VOCs (Volatile Organic Chemicals).

Don’t smoke. Cigarette smoke is a dangerous asthma trigger. And it can also
make you and your child more sensitive to other indoor triggers.

Make sure any heaters, cookers and boilers are serviced regularly. Also
make sure any new appliances are fitted properly with adequate ventilation.

--
Spike

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<8fbc6ebe-2e99-48fc-8441-065ab815e644n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29211&group=uk.rec.cycling#29211

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 05:01:01 -0700 (PDT)
_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 12:01 UTC

One of Ella’s dying wishes was that her siblings, who were really young, wouldn’t forget her and she also didn’t want her friends to forget her, obviously. She said to me: “‘Oh Mum. I hope they will remember me,” said Rosamund Kissi-Debrah recently. “I think Ella would like the fact that when you show her picture now, or you mention her name, most people know who she is.”

Ella’s fame is tragic: she died, aged nine, after an acute asthma attack in south London on 15 February 2013. She had had more than 25 emergency hospital admissions in the previous three years. In 2020, a landmark coroner’s report made Ella the first person in the world to have air pollution cited as a cause of death.

In the 10 years since she lost her daughter, Kissi-Debrah has become a compelling advocate for cleaner air. She is driving the proposed “Ella’s law” in the UK parliament and is a World Health Organization advocate, while also keeping the memory of Ella as a lively, smart and musical girl alive. Kissi-Debrah was made CBE in the New Year’s honours list.

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kdrn3oF5fclU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29226&group=uk.rec.cycling#29226

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Jun 2023 14:08:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 14:08 UTC

> One of Ella’s dying wishes was that her siblings, who were really young,
> wouldn’t forget her and she also didn’t want her friends to forget her,
> obviously. She said to me: “‘Oh Mum. I hope they will remember me,” said
> Rosamund Kissi-Debrah recently. “I think Ella would like the fact that
> when you show her picture now, or you mention her name, most people know who she is.”

> Ella’s fame is tragic: she died, aged nine, after an acute asthma attack
> in south London on 15 February 2013. She had had more than 25 emergency
> hospital admissions in the previous three years.

One wonders if the coroner had been made aware of what research papers
claim is a major cause of asthma events: virus infections.

> In 2020, a landmark coroner’s report made Ella the first person in the
> world to have air pollution cited as a cause of death.

> In the 10 years since she lost her daughter, Kissi-Debrah has become a
> compelling advocate for cleaner air. She is driving the proposed “Ella’s
> law” in the UK parliament and is a World Health Organization advocate,
> while also keeping the memory of Ella as a lively, smart and musical girl
> alive. Kissi-Debrah was made CBE in the New Year’s honours list.

--
Spike

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<903b28ce-d97a-4566-8a40-95b7b9d11787n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29227&group=uk.rec.cycling#29227

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 07:14:32 -0700 (PDT)
_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 14:14 UTC

A new clean air law is starting out in parliament after the Green party peer Jenny Jones won first place in the House of Lords ballot for private members’ bills.

Named Ella’s law, as a tribute to nine-year-old Ella Kissi-Debrah who died from asthma induced by air pollution, the bill would establish a right to clean air and set up a commission to oversee government actions and progress. It would also join policies on indoor and outdoor air pollution with actions to combat our climate emergency, and include annual reviews of the latest science.

Jones said: “Having a nice environment isn’t just a matter of ecology and science, it is a question of social justice. The clean air (human rights) bill would enshrine the human right to healthy air precisely and explicitly in UK law. A suitable date for the government to put it into law would be before the 70th anniversary of the Great Smog later this year”.

The UK’s first Clean Air Act also began as a private member’s bill, introduced by the handlebar moustached Tory MP Gerald Nabarro. Nabarro’s bill was triggered by a Ministry for Health report that estimated a death toll of about 4,000 people due to the weeklong London smog of 1952, a death rate greater than the Victorian cholera outbreaks and the worst periods of the blitz.

Politically, Jones and Nabarro are poles apart but Jones’s bill comes at a time when about 4,000 Londoners die from breathing polluted air each year. UK annual deaths are estimated to be between 28,000 and 36,000, and globally it is about 7 million.

Since Nabarro’s bill, thousands of research studies have explored the health harm from air pollution, or, viewed from a different angle, the benefits that could come from cleaner air.

Dr Maria Neira, the World Health Organization (WHO) director for public health, environmental and social determinants of health, said: “These days we have overwhelming evidence that air pollution harms health, more than enough evidence to justify actions to reduce exposure. You can imagine the incredible number of lives we will save.”

Improving air pollution saves money from reduced absence from work and less cost to the NHS. In parallel to Jones’s bill, the government is asking for views on its own targets for particle pollution in England. These targets for 2040 match the guidelines that were set by the WHO in 2005. Additionally, it is proposed to reduce average particle pollution by 35%. According to government analysis, the benefits from these actions would be five times greater than the money than spent cleaning our air.

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kdrragF64mkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29234&group=uk.rec.cycling#29234

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Jun 2023 15:20:48 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 15:20 UTC

> A new clean air law is starting out in parliament after the Green party
> peer Jenny Jones won first place in the House of Lords ballot for private members’ bills.

Excellent news for those who want to see pollution in the home controlled
and lowered.

Scented personal products of all kinds, pets, gas heating and cooking,
aerosols and trigger packs of all kinds, furnishings, building work - there
is a lot to ban if indoor pollution is to be brought down to outdoor
levels.

But what will happen when the summer brings in red zone pollution from
Africa and Europe? What will be proposed to ban that?

--
Spike

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<538ea386-edf9-4c9b-b77c-f8f53fa551c5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29238&group=uk.rec.cycling#29238

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 10:24:00 -0700 (PDT)
_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 17:24 UTC

Green party peer Jenny Jones is pushing a new clean air law after it won first place in the House of Lords ballot for private members’ bills.

Ella’s Law is what people are calling the Clean Air (Human Rights) Bill, introduced to Parliament by Baroness Jenny Jones in May 2022, named after Ella Adoo Kissi Debrah, the first person in England to have air pollution named as a cause of death by a coroner.

The bill aims to protect the public against air pollution which is one of the biggest public health hazards of our time and responsible for tens of thousands of premature deaths in the UK.

The bill would establish a right to clean air and set up a commission to oversee government actions and progress. It would also join policies on indoor and outdoor air pollution with actions to combat our climate emergency, and include annual reviews of the latest science.

It would force the government to act to bring air quality in every community up to minimum WHO standards. This would mean people no longer have to breathe air that seriously damages their health. It would also mean a better quality of life in many other ways, too.

Rosamund Adoo Kissi Debrah, Ella’s mum, said; “Ella used to worry people might forget her and move on. She would love to have known that people will remember her for something good.”

Jones said: “Having a nice environment isn’t just a matter of ecology and science, it is a question of social justice. The clean air (human rights) bill would enshrine the human right to healthy air precisely and explicitly in UK law. A suitable date for the government to put it into law would be before the 70th anniversary of the Great Smog later this year”.

According to Hodge Jones & Allen’s Kate Harrison, “The Bill stands a good chance of getting through all three stages in the Lords, before moving into the Commons. It is transformational for UK environmental legislation; elements that the Government had previously not been willing to introduce in the Environment Act are included. For example, the air quality target limits set by the World Health Organisation (“WHO”).. It is truly progressive as it treats air as one entity and would protect the rights of current and future generations to enjoy clean air. If successful, the Bill will be a benchmark for future environmental legislation.

The Government has recently proposed setting air pollution limits in England that are twice as high as the WHO recommendations, which poses a serious concern and risk to the health of millions of people in the UK. As air pollution has increased, so has evidence of the negative impacts of air pollution on health, especially the threat posed by ultra-fine particles which can lodge in the brain and other organs.

Should the Bill pass, it will provide every person the right to be able to play a bigger and more significant part in combating air pollution within the UK. For the public, this means they will even be able to challenge regulatory bodies on promises and targets set for improving air quality.

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kds45kF7dneU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29246&group=uk.rec.cycling#29246

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Jun 2023 17:51:48 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 17:51 UTC

It would appear that Jenny Jones has two ‘clean air’ bills in progress!

> [...]
>
> The Government has recently proposed setting air pollution limits in
> England that are twice as high as the WHO recommendations, which poses a
> serious concern and risk to the health of millions of people in the UK.
> As air pollution has increased, so has evidence of the negative impacts
> of air pollution on health, especially the threat posed by ultra-fine
> particles which can lodge in the brain and other organs.
>
> Should the Bill pass, it will provide every person the right to be able
> to play a bigger and more significant part in combating air pollution
> within the UK. For the public, this means they will even be able to
> challenge regulatory bodies on promises and targets set for improving air quality.

--
Spike

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<a3efe467-8aa8-4693-b407-42977c19bf90n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29251&group=uk.rec.cycling#29251

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 11:48:22 -0700 (PDT)
_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 18:48 UTC

A new law to enshrine the human right to clean has passed through the committee stage at the House of Lords.

The Clean Air Bill is also known as Ella’s Law, after Ella Kissi-Debrah, the first person in the UK to have air pollution listed as a cause of death.

The bill, put forward by Baroness Jenny Jones, would require public bodies to review and monitor pollution limits, with the aims of achieving clean air in the UK within five years of its passing.

It received no opposition as it passed through to the report stage.

Baroness Jones said she hoped the bill will pass before the 10th anniversary of Ella’s death on February 15, 2023. She later tweeted: “My #CleanAirBill went thru Committee Stage in about half an hour! We’d worked hard to deal with everyone’s comments so it meant there was widespread support and no opposition.”

Ella, who lived in Lewisham in south London, died from an asthma attack and in 2020, a coroner ruled excessive exposure to air pollution contributed to her death in a landmark inquest.

In spring last year, the coroner said the UK needed to bring its “far higher” threshold for fine particulate matter (PM2.5) – a type of air pollutant – in line with the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) to reduce the number of air pollution deaths.

Ella’s mother Rosamund Kissi-Debrah, now a clean air campaigner, said at the time that the target was “too weak”.

“We have moved on from 2005 targets. The WHO realised they were not even strong enough because 7 million people still continue to die,” Ms Kissi-Debrah said.

This is how many people the global health body estimates are killed every year around the world by air pollution, which is linked to lung cancer, heart disease, chronic respiratory and autoimmune diseases, among other health issues.

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<kds84fF80o6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29256&group=uk.rec.cycling#29256

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Jun 2023 18:59:27 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 18:59 UTC

> A new law to enshrine the human right to clean has passed through the
> committee stage at the House of Lords.

A ‘right to clean’ sounds like a good idea, but does it need enshrining in
law?

--
Spike

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<89041b62-1ed9-45e5-bbc1-c980f93d22b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29270&group=uk.rec.cycling#29270

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 21:19:16 -0700 (PDT)
_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 04:19 UTC

On Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 7:48:23 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> A new law to enshrine the human right to clean has passed through the committee stage at the House of Lords.

I thought that the Brextards said that the unelected and undemocratic House of Lords has no powers?

Re: Doctors ‘celebrate’ Ulez expansion with bike ride round new Greater London boundary

<2e050edf-db45-451c-8371-3c259d47b848n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29283&group=uk.rec.cycling#29283

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 10:01:55 -0700 (PDT)
_ride_round_new_Greater_London_boundary
From: cmike8828@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 17:01 UTC

On Thursday, 1 June 2023 at 19:59:30 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
> swldx...@gmail.com <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A new law to enshrine the human right to clean has passed through the
> > committee stage at the House of Lords.
> A ‘right to clean’ sounds like a good idea, but does it need enshrining in
> law?
>

> --
> Spike

A right to clean