Many a bum show has been saved by the flag. -- George M. Cohan

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at cyclist… for stopping at a red light

SubjectAuthor
* Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at cyclistswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at chav-cyJNugent
+* Re: Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at cyclswldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at cyclswldx...@gmail.com
| +- Re: Furious van driver blasts hornBrian
| `* Re: Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at cyclswldx...@gmail.com
|  `- Re: Furious van driver blasts hornSpike
+* Re: Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at cyclswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Furious van driver blasts hornSpike
`- Re: Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at cyclswldx...@gmail.com

1
Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at cyclist… for stopping at a red light

<f3d2cda3-2c79-4cdc-8cf9-fbbca3a76c1dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29160&group=uk.rec.cycling#29160

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 03:26:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Furious_van_driver_blasts_horn_and_rages_at_cyclist
…_for_stopping_at_a_red_light
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 30 May 2023 10:26 UTC

Ah, those pesky cyclists, always stopping at red lights… Doesn’t quite have the same ring to it, does it?

But that was the rather bewildering accusation thrown yesterday at Cork-based cyclist John – whose clips of poor driving from his Rightobikeit Twitter account have been featured previously on the blog and Near Miss of the Day – by a van driver unhappy that the cyclist had come to a stop… in a bike box… at a red light.

In the clip, as John stops at the traffic lights (coming to a halt in a designated painted section of the road designed to give people on bikes space), the impatient van driver immediately blares his horn, before opening and leaning out of his door to accuse the “very, very dangerous” cyclist of “jamming on his brakes”.

“At a red light? Really?” the baffled cyclist responds. “The lights are red, and you’re supposed to stop if you can.

“You’re responsible to stop a perfect distance away from me.. I stopped at a red light!”

The video, posted on Twitter last night, was met with an equally confused response from John’s fellow cyclists.

“Great, now any time a driver complains about cyclists jumping red lights, we can show them this driver complaining that a cyclist didn’t do that,” wrote Steve.

Meanwhile, another Cork cyclist, Ashling, noted that the junction in question “has a delay between the red light you stopped at and the pedestrian crossing turning green. The pedestrian was already crossing as you stopped, so if you had done as he said was he going to run over the pedestrian..”

I’m not sure the van driver took that into consideration if I’m honest, Ashling…

“The absolute f'ing irony,” says Bob. “‘Cyclists need number plates because they don’t stop at red lights’. Also: ‘Why did you stop at that red light!’”

As John noted on Twitter last night, yesterday’s incident wasn’t the first time that he has been subject to those startling levels of cognitive dissonance: But remember – cyclists, red lights, hi-viz, and so on…

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-30-may-2023-301551#live-blog-item-46085

Re: Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at chav-cyclist… for stopping at a red light

<kdm451F98cbU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29163&group=uk.rec.cycling#29163

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Furious_van_driver_blasts_horn_and_rages_at_chav-cy
clist…_for_stopping_at_a_red_light
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 12:14:41 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 30 May 2023 11:14 UTC

On 30/05/2023 11:26 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Ah, those chav-cyclists, always stopping at red lights… Doesn’t quite have the same ring to it, does it?
>
> But that was the rather bewildering accusation thrown yesterday at Cork-based chav-cyclist John – whose clips of poor driving from his Rightobikeit Twitter account have been featured previously on the blog and Near Miss of the Day – by a van driver unhappy that the chav had come to a stop… in a bike box… at a red light.
>
> In the clip, as John stops at the traffic lights (coming to a halt in a designated painted section of the road designed to give chavs on bikes [more] space), the impatient van driver immediately blares his horn, before opening and leaning out of his door to accuse the “very, very dangerous” chav-cyclist of “jamming on his brakes”.
>
> “At a red light? Really?” the baffled chav responds. “The lights are red, and you’re supposed to stop if you can.
>
> “You’re responsible to stop a perfect [sic] distance away from me. I stopped at a red light!”
>
> The video, posted on Twitter last night, was met with an equally confused response from John’s fellow chavs.
>
> “Great, now any time a driver complains about chavs jumping red lights, we can show them this driver complaining that a chav-cyclist didn’t do that,” wrote Steve.
>
> Meanwhile, another Cork chav-cyclist, Ashling, noted that the junction in question “has a delay between the red light you stopped at and the pedestrian crossing turning green. The pedestrian was already crossing as you stopped, so if you had done as he said was he going to run over the pedestrian.”
>
> I’m not sure the van driver took that into consideration if I’m honest, Ashling…
>
> “The absolute f'ing irony,” says Bob. “‘Chav-cyclists need number plates because they don’t stop at red lights’. Also: ‘Why did you stop at that red light!’”
>
> As John noted on Twitter last night, yesterday’s incident wasn’t the first time that he has been subject to those startling levels of cognitive dissonance: But remember – chav-cyclists, red lights, hi-viz, and so on…
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-30-may-2023-301551#live-blog-item-46085

In which part of the (current) UK is this "Cork" place?

Re: Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at cyclist… for stopping at a red light

<de16724b-ec67-49f9-a464-4ae104c6bd01n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29166&group=uk.rec.cycling#29166

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 04:50:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Furious_van_driver_blasts_horn_and_rages_at_cycl
ist…_for_stopping_at_a_red_light
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 30 May 2023 11:50 UTC

Hilarious. If he had rammed me from behind while I was stopping at at a red light it’d be my fault. 🤣🤣🤣 the red face on him that I didn’t facilitate him🤣🤣🤣. (Apologies I’d deleted the unstaffed video split)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1663315732325703684

Re: Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at chav-cyclist… for stopping at a red light

<u584sa$2fnsg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29189&group=uk.rec.cycling#29189

From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Furious van driver blasts horn
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 18:49:46 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:YimEIc3utMPxBWJIXnjAdVWSAq0=
 by: Brian - Wed, 31 May 2023 18:49 UTC

JNugent <jenningsandco@mail.com> wrote:
> On 30/05/2023 11:26 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Ah, those chav-cyclists, always stopping at red lights… Doesn’t quite
>> have the same ring to it, does it?
>>
>> But that was the rather bewildering accusation thrown yesterday at
>> Cork-based chav-cyclist John – whose clips of poor driving from his
>> Rightobikeit Twitter account have been featured previously on the blog
>> and Near Miss of the Day – by a van driver unhappy that the chav had
>> come to a stop… in a bike box… at a red light.
>>
>> In the clip, as John stops at the traffic lights (coming to a halt in a
>> designated painted section of the road designed to give chavs on bikes
>> [more] space), the impatient van driver immediately blares his horn,
>> before opening and leaning out of his door to accuse the “very, very
>> dangerous” chav-cyclist of “jamming on his brakes”.
>>
>> “At a red light? Really?” the baffled chav responds. “The lights are
>> red, and you’re supposed to stop if you can.
>>
>> “You’re responsible to stop a perfect [sic] distance away from me. I
>> stopped at a red light!”
>>
>> The video, posted on Twitter last night, was met with an equally
>> confused response from John’s fellow chavs.
>>
>> “Great, now any time a driver complains about chavs jumping red lights,
>> we can show them this driver complaining that a chav-cyclist didn’t do that,” wrote Steve.
>>
>> Meanwhile, another Cork chav-cyclist, Ashling, noted that the junction
>> in question “has a delay between the red light you stopped at and the
>> pedestrian crossing turning green. The pedestrian was already crossing
>> as you stopped, so if you had done as he said was he going to run over the pedestrian.”
>>
>> I’m not sure the van driver took that into consideration if I’m honest, Ashling…
>>
>> “The absolute f'ing irony,” says Bob. “‘Chav-cyclists need number plates
>> because they don’t stop at red lights’. Also: ‘Why did you stop at that red light!’”
>>
>> As John noted on Twitter last night, yesterday’s incident wasn’t the
>> first time that he has been subject to those startling levels of
>> cognitive dissonance: But remember – chav-cyclists, red lights, hi-viz, and so on…
>>
>> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-30-may-2023-301551#live-blog-item-46085
>
> In which part of the (current) UK is this "Cork" place?

It isn’t the first time the OP has struggled with geography. His grasp of
geography is as tenuous as his grasp of the HWC, especially as it relates
to cyclists and road positioning.

Re: Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at cyclist… for stopping at a red light

<8e220355-0006-4098-9d51-951f90c3433an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29191&group=uk.rec.cycling#29191

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 12:12:58 -0700 (PDT)
ist…_for_stopping_at_a_red_light
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 31 May 2023 19:12 UTC

Funny how those willing to be irresponsible & illegal road users expect others to be irresponsible & illegal road users unless being an irresponsible & illegal road user would somehow impede their determination to be an irresponsible & illegal road user
Something like that :-)

Re: Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at cycl ist… for stopping at a red light

<u58bfm$2gd6m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29195&group=uk.rec.cycling#29195

From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 20:42:30 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Nn2hdyYVIINu6FXRjbPt3YM1o6c=
 by: Brian - Wed, 31 May 2023 20:42 UTC

> Funny how those willing to be irresponsible & illegal road users expect
> others to be irresponsible & illegal road users unless being an
> irresponsible & illegal road user would somehow impede their
> determination to be an irresponsible & illegal road user
> Something like that :-)

You seem to be analysing your fellow irresponsible cyclists.

Re: Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at cyclist… for stopping at a red light

<6da65694-5274-4467-8fb2-06aed22a9f50n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29197&group=uk.rec.cycling#29197

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 22:53:18 -0700 (PDT)
ist…_for_stopping_at_a_red_light
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 05:53 UTC

YᗩY ᖴOᖇ ᗷIᑕYᑕᒪEᔕ 🚲
@byjoeb
·
May 29
Incredible. 🫠🤯 Arguing with you for not running a red light! These 🤡's just get more & more off the scale.

Re: Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at cycl ist… for stopping at a red light

<kdr46mF2li0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29202&group=uk.rec.cycling#29202

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Jun 2023 08:46:14 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 08:46 UTC

> YᗩY ᖴOᖇ ᗷIᑕYᑕᒪEᔕ 🚲
> @byjoeb
> ·
> May 29
> Incredible. 🫠🤯 Arguing with you for not running a red light! These 🤡's
> just get more & more off the scale.

The van driver clearly expected the cyclist to behave normally, that is,
cycle blithely through a red light.

A recent video exercise by road.cc showed 50% of cyclists ignoring a red
light - the numbers were something like 120 out of a total of 240.

No wonder the van driver was confused.

--
Spike

Re: Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at cyclist… for stopping at a red light

<2008ba02-552a-48d7-8c2a-8bfde1c4f0d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29212&group=uk.rec.cycling#29212

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 05:02:34 -0700 (PDT)
ist…_for_stopping_at_a_red_light
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 12:02 UTC

Dan Lewis
@DanLewis3
·
16h
Bloody cyclist how dare you stop at a red light 😤

Re: Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at cycl ist… for stopping at a red light

<kdril9F4q3lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29222&group=uk.rec.cycling#29222

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Jun 2023 12:52:57 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 12:52 UTC

> Dan Lewis
> @DanLewis3
> ·
> 16h
> Bloody cyclist how dare you stop at a red light 😤

Exactly!

a road.cc video showed that on one 15-minute video at one location, some
50% of cyclists jumped a red light.

--
Spike

Re: Furious van driver blasts horn and rages at cyclist… for stopping at a red light

<65106d24-da2f-48a2-943d-ac1d077eda13n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29225&group=uk.rec.cycling#29225

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 06:40:43 -0700 (PDT)
ist…_for_stopping_at_a_red_light
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 13:40 UTC

Tom Bowles
@tomsdinner
·
23h
Motorists drive full length of pavement at speed to avoid the @JustStop_Oil
protest in Warwick Road this morning. #protest. Not sure Addison Lee will be too pleased.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1663912842808942592