And on the eighth day, we bulldozed it.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and cyclist environment

SubjectAuthor
* news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and cyclist environmentswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian andSpike
+* Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and cyclist environmentswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian andSpike
+* Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and cyclist environmentswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and cyclist environmentswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and chavJNugent
`* Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and cyclist environmentswldx...@gmail.com
 `- Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian andSpike

1
news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and cyclist environment

<6d77089b-91cc-499f-813f-0bd5d6208932n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29241&group=uk.rec.cycling#29241

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 10:35:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and cyclist environment
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 17:35 UTC

Manchester City Council has unveiled the final plans for enhancing the safety of pedestrians and cyclists in Manchester city centre. The City Centre Transport Strategy (CCTS) outlines the goal of having 90% of peak morning trips to the city centre made by foot, bike, or public transport by 2040. Following a thorough consultation in 2022, the proposed improvements to the road network within the city centre have been finalised, and the work is scheduled to commence in summer 2023.

The planned changes include several key elements. Firstly, a CYCLOPS junction will be established at the intersection of Peter Street and Quay Street. In addition, bus stops will be integrated with cycle lanes, enabling cyclists to safely pass buses that are loading or unloading passengers. Sustainable drainage measures in the form of shrubs and rain gardens will be implemented on Whitworth Street West, Old Deansgate and Chester Road.

Supported by the UK government’s Active Travel Fund, the latest developments in Manchester city centre focus on enhancing safety for pedestrians and cyclists, with plans for improved road networks and sustainable drainage.

[...]

This webinar will highlight challenges most often found in finance, planning, transportation and the operations departments. Our speakers will provide insight into how they solved those challenges for their agencies in each unique scenario.

Furthermore, modifications will be made to the Great Jackson Street and Chester Road junction, including widening the radius of the junction to naturally slow down vehicles and adding a zebra crossing and Belisha beacon. Bus stops will be re-located to more optimal locations, and additional disabled parking bays will be provided to improve accessibility on Deansgate. A comprehensive list of all the works planned as part of the Active Travel Fund (ATF) City Centre Scheme can be found on the council’s website.

The funding for these projects has been secured through the Active Travel Fund, a government initiative aimed at supporting local councils in creating safer and more convenient travel routes for the public. The CCTS aims to achieve several objectives, such as encouraging more people to walk and cycle in the city centre, establishing interconnected walking and cycling paths, reducing traffic congestion in line with the CCTS 2040 vision, minimising the risk of road accidents, and delivering numerous health, environmental and congestion-related benefits.

https://www.intelligenttransport.com/transport-news/147018/manchester-unveils-plans-for-safer-pedestrian-and-cyclist-environment/

Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and cyclist environment

<kds3urF7cslU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29245&group=uk.rec.cycling#29245

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and
cyclist environment
Date: 1 Jun 2023 17:48:11 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 17:48 UTC

HEALTH WARNING!

In case you find yourself pondering over deja vu, some paragraphs in the
report have been repeated.

--
Spike

Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and cyclist environment

<ef73e1de-9f6c-4fff-8939-bedea65e229en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29250&group=uk.rec.cycling#29250

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 11:46:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 18:46 UTC

QUOTE: reducing traffic congestion in line with the CCTS 2040 vision, minimising the risk of road accidents, and delivering numerous health, environmental and congestion-related benefits.ENDS

Colonel Gammon says down with that sort of thing.

*parp parp*

Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and cyclist environment

<kds8b8F81ocU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29257&group=uk.rec.cycling#29257

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
cyclist environment
Date: 1 Jun 2023 19:03:05 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 19:03 UTC

> QUOTE: reducing traffic congestion in line with the CCTS 2040 vision,
> minimising the risk of road accidents, and delivering numerous health,
> environmental and congestion-related benefits.ENDS
>
> Colonel Gammon says down with that sort of thing.
>
> *parp parp*

Just look at the results. The London ULEZ has reduced pollution
considerably, but no-one can point to a reduction in asthma cases.

It raises lots of cash and enforces societal change, though.

--
Spike

Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and cyclist environment

<92dfe21f-f1e0-40e8-ae37-5d1cceba8212n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29260&group=uk.rec.cycling#29260

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 12:28:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 19:28 UTC

Designed by Greater Manchester engineers, CYCLOPS stands for Cycle Optimised Protected Signals. The unique design of the CYCLOPs junction completely separates pedestrians and cyclists from motor traffic at junctions, reducing the possibility of collisions or conflict.

Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and chav environment

<kdspb1FahitU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29268&group=uk.rec.cycling#29268

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and chav
environment
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 00:53:05 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 23:53 UTC

> Manchester City Council has unveiled the final plans for enhancing the safety of pedestrians and chavs (a/k/a "cyclists") in Manchester city centre. The City Centre Transport Strategy (CCTS) outlines the goal of having 90% of peak morning trips to the city centre made by foot, chav-bike, or public transport by 2040. Following a thorough consultation in 2022, the proposed improvements to the road network within the city centre have been finalised, and the work is scheduled to commence in summer 2023.
>
> The planned changes include several key elements. Firstly, a CYCLOPS junction will be established at the intersection of Peter Street and Quay Street. In addition, bus stops will be integrated with chav lanes, enabling chavs ("cyclists_ to safely pass buses that are loading or unloading passengers...

....without the hassle of having to keep pedestrians safe from being run
down by chavs on the footway.

> Sustainable drainage measures in the form of shrubs and rain gardens will be implemented on Whitworth Street West, Old Deansgate and Chester Road.
>
> Supported by the UK government’s Active Travel Fund, the latest developments in Manchester city centre focus on enhancing safety for pedestrians and chav-cyclists, with plans for improved road networks and sustainable drainage.
>
> Manchester City Council has unveiled the final plans for enhancing the safety of pedestrians and chavs in Manchester city centre. The City Centre Transport Strategy (CCTS) outlines the goal of having 90% of peak morning trips to the city centre made by foot, bchav-ike, or public transport by 2040. Following a thorough consultation in 2022, the proposed improvements to the road network within the city centre have been finalised, and the work is scheduled to commence in summer 2023.

You've just said that.

Alzheimers?

> The planned changes include several key elements. Firstly, a CYCLOPS junction will be established at the intersection of Peter Street and Quay Street. In addition, bus stops will be integrated with chav lanes, enabling chav- ("cyclists") to safely pass buses that are loading or unloading passengers, irrespective of the danger to pedestrians. Sustainable drainage measures in the form of shrubs and rain gardens will be implemented on Whitworth Street West, Old Deansgate and Chester Road.

You've just said that too.

> This webinar will highlight challenges most often found in finance, planning, transportation and the operations departments. Our speakers will provide insight into how they solved those challenges for their agencies in each unique scenario.
> Furthermore, modifications will be made to the Great Jackson Street and Chester Road junction, including widening the radius of the junction to naturally slow down vehicles and adding a zebra crossing and Belisha beacon. Bus stops will be re-located to more optimal locations, and additional disabled parking bays will be provided to improve accessibility on Deansgate. A comprehensive list of all the works planned as part of the Active Travel Fund (ATF) City Centre Scheme can be found on the council’s website.
> The funding for these projects has been secured through the Active Travel Fund, a government initiative aimed at supporting local councils in creating safer and more convenient travel routes for the public. The CCTS aims to achieve several objectives, such as encouraging more people to walk and ride chav-cycles in the city centre, establishing interconnected walking and chav-cycling paths, reducing traffic congestion in line with the CCTS 2040 vision, minimising the risk of road accidents, and delivering numerous health, environmental and congestion-related benefits.
>
> https://www.intelligenttransport.com/transport-news/147018/manchester-unveils-plans-for-safer-pedestrian-and-cyclist-environment/

Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and cyclist environment

<742ee9e8-438b-4a62-8e90-f4a72b7d69a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29276&group=uk.rec.cycling#29276

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 21:29:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 04:29 UTC

QUOTE: The City Centre Transport Strategy (CCTS) outlines the goal of having 90% of peak morning trips to the city centre made by foot, bike, or public transport by 2040. ENDS

The gammons stilll living in WWII will all be dead by then, so that's possible.

Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and cyclist environment

<kdtgo2Fds4qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29277&group=uk.rec.cycling#29277

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
cyclist environment
Date: 2 Jun 2023 06:32:34 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 06:32 UTC

> QUOTE: The City Centre Transport Strategy (CCTS) outlines the goal of
> having 90% of peak morning trips to the city centre made by foot, bike,
> or public transport by 2040. ENDS

I commuted for well over a decade on London Underground. I wouldn’t have
recommended it then as a mode of transport, and if people are coerced in to
using it, it will only deteriorate.

Friday evening jumpers were the worst, it took about 90 minutes to scrape
up the corpse and get the system running again, but of course that left a
huge backlog of passengers to clear. To say the trains were packed was an
understatement.

> The gammons stilll living in WWII will all be dead by then, so that's possible.

I can post a link to Gammon’s web site if you like.

They have swivels for sale…

--
Spike

Re: news Manchester unveils plans for safer pedestrian and cyclist environment

<92b50672-c46f-434d-8715-569d86a42612n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29279&group=uk.rec.cycling#29279

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 04:54:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 11:54 UTC

It’s certainly something I’ve never heard of before but an email has arrived from Transport for Greater Manchester telling me all about it. And from the picture provided, it looks like an impressive bit of transport engineering. Clearly it requires the drivers to play ball and not drive like maniacs but with things like this, perhaps in some places at least, we are slowly – very slowly – making progress towards what is the norm in some countries.

Which once again gives me the opportunity of showing one of my favourite videos – taken in The Netherlands, quite close to the border with Germany – from the 2015 cycle from Spain to Norway as I cycled from Maastricht to Aachen. This is how the professionals do it. Simple yet brilliant with everyone (even those pesky car drivers) playing their part in keeping the roads safe:CYCLOPS: Cycle Optimised Protected Signals.

The UK‘s first CYCLOPS (Cycle Optimised Protected Signals) junction has been launched in Hulme, South Manchester. The unique design separates pedestrians and cyclists from traffic, reducing the possibility of collisions or conflict.

The CYCLOPS junction has been designed to fully segregate cyclists from general traffic, improving safety for all road users. Pedestrians are also able to get where they want to be in fewer stages with more space to wait than on other junction designs.

Installed as part of the Manchester to Chorlton cycling and walking route, the first-of-its-kind-junction will act as a blueprint for future junctions as part of Greater Manchester’s Bee Network, an 1,800 mile joined-up walking and cycling network, connecting every community across the city-region. The next CYCLOPS on the ground will be at Newport Street by Bolton Station and over 30 others are in development across the 10 GM districts. The design has been lauded by experts nationally and internationally, with the approach being adopted in Cambridge, Lancashire and even Ottawa in Canada.

Chris Boardman, cycling and walking commissioner for Greater Manchester said, “Crossing busy junctions on foot or by bike can be a complicated and scary experience and is often a huge barrier for people travelling by foot or bike, and having to navigate a number of these can make them opt for the car.

“Particularly right now, as we’ve seen cycling trips up by 34% and cycling and walking trips now counting for 33% of all journeys in Greater Manchester, this junction design will make journeys easier and smoother for those doing their bit by cycling or walking, without impacting negatively on any other modes. This design is simply genius and I’m not surprised to see other places already adopting the approach.”

This new approach to junction design was developed by TfGM’s traffic engineers and walking and cycling team in response to some of the flaws in existing UK junction designs, whilst also considering how to make the junction work for all modes.

CYCLOPS designers, TfGM Engineers Richard Butler and Jonathan Salter said, “The main difference between this junction and traditional UK junction designs is that cyclists are offered an alternative safer route around the junction.. They are no longer required to position themselves on the nearside of the lane, allowing vehicles to pass on their offside which is often the cause of so-called ‘left hook’ incidents, where cyclists going ahead are struck by a vehicle turning left from the same lane.

“The CYCLOPS resolves this with its ‘external orbital cycle route’ which separates cyclists from motor traffic. Bicycles approaching from all four ‘arms’ can use the cycle track which encircles the junction to make left, ahead and right turning movements safely protected from traffic”.

Other benefits of the design include:

– Cyclist and pedestrian phases can run simultaneously
– Pedestrian crossing times are shorter and closer to desire lines, including the potential for diagonal pedestrian crossings
– Cyclists have protected right turn on a gentle radius, and can filter left without signal control
– Journey times for all modes navigating the junctions, including motor traffic, are not negatively affected.