From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: ICC to introduce stop clock to regulate pace of play
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 22:41:34 -0800
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 06:41 UTC

I think it's a good idea.

ICC to introduce stop clock to regulate pace of play

The move will be tested on a trial basis between December 2023 and April
2024 in men's ODIs and T20Is

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/icc-to-introduce-stop-clock-to-regulate-pace-of-play-1410004

In a radical step to regulate the pace of play, the ICC has said it will
experiment with having a stop clock between overs. A penalty of five
runs will be imposed on the bowling side if they fail three times in an
innings to start the new over within a minute.

The move, which was approved by the chief executives committee, will be
restricted to men's ODIs and T20Is, and will be tested on a "trial
basis" for six months between this December and April 2024. The first
instance where this will be used will be in the upcoming three-match ODI
series between West Indies and England, which begins on December 3.

"The clock will be used to regulate the amount of time taken between
overs," the ICC said in a media release on Tuesday. "If the bowling team
is not ready to bowl the next over within 60 seconds of the previous
over being completed, a five-run penalty will be imposed the third time
it happens in an innings."

In 2022, the ICC had introduced an in-match penalty in ODIs and T20Is -
in both men's and women's cricket - to combat slow over rates.
Currently, as per the playing conditions, the sanction for both formats
is: if the fielding team fails to start the final over by the stipulated
time, they are docked one fielder from outside the 30-yard circle.

The third umpire, through a timer, regulates the time while accounting
for any stoppages, before relaying it to the on-field match officials.
The rule was introduced in T20Is in January and in ODIs during the World
Cup Qualifiers in June-July earlier this year. That sanction is in
addition to monetary fines teams have to pay for slow over rates under
the ICC's playing conditions.

Having a stop clock is not an unprecedented move in sport, with tennis
using the 'shot clock' where a player gets 25 seconds to get ready to
serve between points. The 'shot clock' was also suggested by the MCC's
World Cricket Committee in 2018 to combat slow over rates in all three
formats. The MCC committee, which included former international captains
Ricky Ponting, Sourav Ganguly and Kumar Sangakkara, had recommended the
'shot clock' would be used during the "dead time" in a game.

The clock, Ponting, at the time, had explained would not be operation
during an over. "It is the dead time in the game, so at the end of the
over the fielders and the bowlers have to be back in the position and
ready to bowl at a certain time. That is a non-negotiable. The same with
the new batsman coming to the crease - the bowling team has to be ready
when the batsman gets there and he has had certain amount of time."

Re: ICC to introduce stop clock to regulate pace of play

<tbtrli90bk31ln6uabqo31qhfspv0b434e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29241&group=uk.sport.cricket#29241

From: max@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 12:42:16 +0000
 by: max.it - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 12:42 UTC

On Tue, 21 Nov 2023 22:41:34 -0800, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
<FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> wrote:

>I think it's a good idea.

Yup, whenever they introduced the penalty for failing to bowl the
overs within 3hrs :15min some of my umpiring colleagues brought a stop
watch onfield with them. They would referee football during the winter
so they were used to keeping time on events.

I always used the 'official timepiece' as agreed with the scorers and
captains at the pre match meeting / toss, because that's what you are
supposed to do.

max.it

>ICC to introduce stop clock to regulate pace of play
>
>The move will be tested on a trial basis between December 2023 and April
>2024 in men's ODIs and T20Is
>

>https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/icc-to-introduce-stop-clock-to-regulate-pace-of-play-1410004
>
>In a radical step to regulate the pace of play, the ICC has said it will
>experiment with having a stop clock between overs. A penalty of five
>runs will be imposed on the bowling side if they fail three times in an
>innings to start the new over within a minute.
>
>The move, which was approved by the chief executives committee, will be
>restricted to men's ODIs and T20Is, and will be tested on a "trial
>basis" for six months between this December and April 2024. The first
>instance where this will be used will be in the upcoming three-match ODI
>series between West Indies and England, which begins on December 3.
>
>"The clock will be used to regulate the amount of time taken between
>overs," the ICC said in a media release on Tuesday. "If the bowling team
>is not ready to bowl the next over within 60 seconds of the previous
>over being completed, a five-run penalty will be imposed the third time
>it happens in an innings."
>
>In 2022, the ICC had introduced an in-match penalty in ODIs and T20Is -
>in both men's and women's cricket - to combat slow over rates.
>Currently, as per the playing conditions, the sanction for both formats
>is: if the fielding team fails to start the final over by the stipulated
>time, they are docked one fielder from outside the 30-yard circle.
>
>The third umpire, through a timer, regulates the time while accounting
>for any stoppages, before relaying it to the on-field match officials.
>The rule was introduced in T20Is in January and in ODIs during the World
>Cup Qualifiers in June-July earlier this year. That sanction is in
>addition to monetary fines teams have to pay for slow over rates under
>the ICC's playing conditions.
>
>Having a stop clock is not an unprecedented move in sport, with tennis
>using the 'shot clock' where a player gets 25 seconds to get ready to
>serve between points. The 'shot clock' was also suggested by the MCC's
>World Cricket Committee in 2018 to combat slow over rates in all three
>formats. The MCC committee, which included former international captains
>Ricky Ponting, Sourav Ganguly and Kumar Sangakkara, had recommended the
>'shot clock' would be used during the "dead time" in a game.
>
>The clock, Ponting, at the time, had explained would not be operation
>during an over. "It is the dead time in the game, so at the end of the
>over the fielders and the bowlers have to be back in the position and
>ready to bowl at a certain time. That is a non-negotiable. The same with
>the new batsman coming to the crease - the bowling team has to be ready
>when the batsman gets there and he has had certain amount of time."

Re: ICC to introduce stop clock to regulate pace of play

<185818b4-192d-42c4-b137-f2a6f7007ee1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29242&group=uk.sport.cricket#29242

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 05:33:49 -0800 (PST)
From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
 by: David North - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 13:33 UTC

On Wednesday, 22 November 2023 at 06:41:37 UTC, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> I think it's a good idea.

> ICC to introduce stop clock to regulate pace of play
>
> The move will be tested on a trial basis between December 2023 and April
> 2024 in men's ODIs and T20Is
>

> https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/icc-to-introduce-stop-clock-to-regulate-pace-of-play-1410004
>
> In a radical step to regulate the pace of play, the ICC has said it will
> experiment with having a stop clock between overs. A penalty of five
> runs will be imposed on the bowling side if they fail three times in an
> innings to start the new over within a minute.
>
> The move, which was approved by the chief executives committee, will be
> restricted to men's ODIs and T20Is, and will be tested on a "trial
> basis" for six months between this December and April 2024.

They would do well to fit a 6-month trial into a 5-month period! The ICC press release confirms that it is December to April, and doesn't mention 6 months, so that seems to be CI's error.

Re: ICC to introduce stop clock to regulate pace of play

<65d6dba4-30ea-41d1-89c3-b3eea4b958b3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29243&group=uk.sport.cricket#29243

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 05:34:42 -0800 (PST)
From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
 by: David North - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 13:34 UTC

On Wednesday, 22 November 2023 at 13:33:50 UTC, David North wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 November 2023 at 06:41:37 UTC, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> > I think it's a good idea.
> >

> > ==========================================================================
> >

> > ICC to introduce stop clock to regulate pace of play
> >
> > The move will be tested on a trial basis between December 2023 and April
> > 2024 in men's ODIs and T20Is
> >

> > https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/icc-to-introduce-stop-clock-to-regulate-pace-of-play-1410004
> >
> > In a radical step to regulate the pace of play, the ICC has said it will
> > experiment with having a stop clock between overs. A penalty of five
> > runs will be imposed on the bowling side if they fail three times in an
> > innings to start the new over within a minute.
> >
> > The move, which was approved by the chief executives committee, will be
> > restricted to men's ODIs and T20Is, and will be tested on a "trial
> > basis" for six months between this December and April 2024.
> They would do well to fit a 6-month trial into a 5-month period! The ICC press release confirms that it is December to April, and doesn't mention 6 months, so that seems to be CI's error.

https://www.cricketworldcup.com/news/3791155

Re: ICC to introduce stop clock to regulate pace of play

<7b109601-e50d-47c9-be4b-5ff702eef8a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29244&group=uk.sport.cricket#29244

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 07:33:19 -0800 (PST)
From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 15:33 UTC

On Wednesday, November 22, 2023 at 1:33:50 PM UTC, David North wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 November 2023 at 06:41:37 UTC, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> > I think it's a good idea.
> >

> > ==========================================================================
> >

> > ICC to introduce stop clock to regulate pace of play
> >
> > The move will be tested on a trial basis between December 2023 and April
> > 2024 in men's ODIs and T20Is
> >

> > https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/icc-to-introduce-stop-clock-to-regulate-pace-of-play-1410004
> >
> > In a radical step to regulate the pace of play, the ICC has said it will
> > experiment with having a stop clock between overs. A penalty of five
> > runs will be imposed on the bowling side if they fail three times in an
> > innings to start the new over within a minute.

if that had been the case in the last ashes there might have been quite
a few penalties handed out. OTOH, if everyone bowled their overs as
quick as jadega did in the WC, we might get 100 overs a day.

mike

Re: ICC to introduce stop clock to regulate pace of play

<93e7d6ef-2f0e-4dc7-9c3c-84a41abc4e3cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29251&group=uk.sport.cricket#29251

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 05:50:21 -0800 (PST)
From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
 by: David North - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 13:50 UTC

On Wednesday, 22 November 2023 at 15:33:21 UTC, mike wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 22, 2023 at 1:33:50 PM UTC, David North wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 22 November 2023 at 06:41:37 UTC, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> > > I think it's a good idea.
> > >

> > > ==========================================================================
> > >

> > > ICC to introduce stop clock to regulate pace of play
> > >
> > > The move will be tested on a trial basis between December 2023 and April
> > > 2024 in men's ODIs and T20Is
> > >

> > > https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/icc-to-introduce-stop-clock-to-regulate-pace-of-play-1410004
> > >
> > > In a radical step to regulate the pace of play, the ICC has said it will
> > > experiment with having a stop clock between overs. A penalty of five
> > > runs will be imposed on the bowling side if they fail three times in an
> > > innings to start the new over within a minute.
> if that had been the case in the last ashes there might have been quite
> a few penalties handed out.

Presumably they will get warnings the first two times, so hopefully they would have got the message and got a move on before it came to penalties.

Re: ICC to introduce stop clock to regulate pace of play

<odmulil6jujmk540t9aall0r0gg7t7mj2r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29252&group=uk.sport.cricket#29252

From: max@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 13:55:41 +0000
 by: max.it - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 13:55 UTC

On Thu, 23 Nov 2023 05:50:21 -0800 (PST), David North
<nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>On Wednesday, 22 November 2023 at 15:33:21 UTC, mike wrote:

>> if that had been the case in the last ashes there might have been quite
>> a few penalties handed out.
>
>Presumably they will get warnings the first two times, so hopefully they would have got the message and got a move on before it came to penalties.

Said no sports editor ever ;-)

max.it