Got a dictionary? I want to know the meaning of life.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Do use 'Mature' software?

SubjectAuthor
* Do use 'Mature' software?Brian Gaff
+- Re: Do use 'Mature' software?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
+* Re: Do use 'Mature' software?Jim the Geordie
|+* Re: Do use 'Mature' software?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
||+* Re: Do use 'Mature' software?Brian Gaff
|||`- Re: Do use 'Mature' software?maus
||`- Re: Do use 'Mature' software?Richard Robinson
|`* Re: Do use 'Mature' software?Brian Gaff
| `- Re: Do use 'Mature' software?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
`* Re: Do use 'Mature' software?Mike Spencer
 +* Re: Do use 'Mature' software?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
 |`* Re: Do use 'Mature' software?Brian Gaff
 | `- Re: Do use 'Mature' software?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
 `* Re: Do use 'Mature' software?Brian Gaff
  `- Re: Do use 'Mature' software?Tease'n'Seize

1
Do use 'Mature' software?

<ujf9fe$8u9k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29201&group=uk.rec.sheds#29201

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Do use 'Mature' software?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 09:38:53 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 09:38 UTC

I think the word Mature sounds far better than the word 'legacy, or
unsupported. Having spent the best part of a weekend attempting to make
Windows 10 work efficiently for a blind user complete with accessible
alternatives to software 10 does not like, and failing and this morning
hearing that even their own email client is going to be phased our for
something even worse, it seems to me that Microsoft have lost sight of why
we have computers, IE so we can get stuff done, not so we have to spend our
days fiddling with it. Now there are those here who will say Linux, but no
matter how you look at this, there are certain pieces of software you cannot
run, and the screenreaders are just not up to the standards needed.
I shall win and get a more modern software system, but I'll also keep my
Mature' Windows 7 system until dropbox stops working.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Do use 'Mature' software?

<20231120110014.15ceacb6940111e5323d9f6b@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29205&group=uk.rec.sheds#29205

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Do use 'Mature' software?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 11:00:14 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 11:00 UTC

On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 09:38:53 -0000
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the word Mature sounds far better than the word 'legacy, or
> unsupported.

Mature may sound better but unsupported is the ugly truth. No
security updates and an increasing number of applications that won't run.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Do use 'Mature' software?

<MPG.3fc5aebfe40ede099896bf@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29220&group=uk.rec.sheds#29220

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 17:58:57 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 17:58 UTC

In article <ujf9fe$8u9k$1@dont-email.me>, brian1gaff@gmail.com says...

> I think the word Mature sounds far better than the word 'legacy, or
> unsupported. Having spent the best part of a weekend attempting to make
> Windows 10 work efficiently for a blind user complete with accessible
> alternatives to software 10 does not like, and failing and this morning
> hearing that even their own email client is going to be phased our for
> something even worse, it seems to me that Microsoft have lost sight of why
> we have computers, IE so we can get stuff done, not so we have to spend our
> days fiddling with it. Now there are those here who will say Linux, but no
> matter how you look at this, there are certain pieces of software you cannot
> run, and the screenreaders are just not up to the standards needed.
> I shall win and get a more modern software system, but I'll also keep my
> Mature' Windows 7 system until dropbox stops working.
> Brian

Mature software sounds like something to access porn.

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Do use 'Mature' software?

<20231120180506.cceaa95de55d98923e52ac50@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29222&group=uk.rec.sheds#29222

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 18:05:06 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 18:05 UTC

On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 17:58:57 -0000
Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> Mature software sounds like something to access porn.

Adult soft wear.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Do use 'Mature' software?

<877cmcayc0.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29232&group=uk.rec.sheds#29232

From: mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Nov 2023 17:50:39 -0400
Sender: mds@enoch.nodomain.nowhere
 by: Mike Spencer - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 21:50 UTC

"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes:

> I think the word Mature sounds far better than the word 'legacy, or
> unsupported. Having spent the best part of a weekend attempting to make
> Windows 10 work efficiently for a blind user complete with accessible
> alternatives to software 10 does not like, and failing and this morning
> hearing that even their own email client is going to be phased our for
> something even worse....

I've been a GNU Emacs user for 30 years, 23 of those on my own Linux
system.

Every time I upgrade my Linux system -- five times now -- I allow the
installation of the most recent version of Emacs. Then I spend
countless hours trying to make new features and putative improvements
to existing features, some of them merely annoying but some of them
disruptive of usability, go away. Then I revert to the version that I
downloaded and installed in 1999. This last upgrade, I just skipped
the countless hours of irritation and went straight to the 20+
y.o. version with which I'm composing this post.

So far, that has worked without recompiling Emacs. I've stuck with 32
bit Linux and all is well.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Do use 'Mature' software?

<20231121062451.4d5bc81861d9ed65c6deaa82@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29237&group=uk.rec.sheds#29237

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 06:24:51 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 06:24 UTC

On 20 Nov 2023 17:50:39 -0400
Mike Spencer <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

Oh Yay vi-emacs wars time.

> I've been a GNU Emacs user for 30 years, 23 of those on my own Linux
> system.

I've been a vi user for 38 years, 30 of them on my own FreeBSD
systems.

> Every time I upgrade my Linux system -- five times now -- I allow the
> installation of the most recent version of Emacs.

Every time I upgrade my FreeBSD system (lost count in the last 30
years but way more than five, I track the current release pretty closely,
it's a painless process, I install the latest vim - and use it without
noticing any changes in the things I use. Sometimes I find a use for new
features - syntax highlighting was nice when it turned up a while back.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Do use 'Mature' software?

<uji7ud$qvl9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29240&group=uk.rec.sheds#29240

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:31:08 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:31 UTC

Or cheese?

If we all acknowledge that we want the most productive experience, it surely
cannot be right to re invent Windows every time with a new user interface.
If I were in charge of Microsoft, I'd have made sure the XP experience was
still available in a choice of shell.

Now we are all getting to grips with ribbons, itself a stupid concept, the
new email software no longer conforms to the accepted standard and more and
more buttons are shoved all over the place, some of which are not actually
what we would expect.
As for security, at the moment at least a check with a third party scanner
confirms to me that there is no malicious software. If somebody is hell bent
on hacking a system it can still be done, I'm sure, even on the all singing
and dancing windows 11, which of course won't run on my hardware.
Brian

--

--:
"Jim the Geordie" <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <ujf9fe$8u9k$1@dont-email.me>, brian1gaff@gmail.com says...
>>
>> I think the word Mature sounds far better than the word 'legacy, or
>> unsupported. Having spent the best part of a weekend attempting to make
>> Windows 10 work efficiently for a blind user complete with accessible
>> alternatives to software 10 does not like, and failing and this morning
>> hearing that even their own email client is going to be phased our for
>> something even worse, it seems to me that Microsoft have lost sight of
>> why
>> we have computers, IE so we can get stuff done, not so we have to spend
>> our
>> days fiddling with it. Now there are those here who will say Linux, but
>> no
>> matter how you look at this, there are certain pieces of software you
>> cannot
>> run, and the screenreaders are just not up to the standards needed.
>> I shall win and get a more modern software system, but I'll also keep my
>> Mature' Windows 7 system until dropbox stops working.
>> Brian
>
> Mature software sounds like something to access porn.
>
> --
> Jim the Geordie

Re: Do use 'Mature' software?

<uji819$qvvp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29241&group=uk.rec.sheds#29241

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:32:39 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:32 UTC

Senior software?

I got a bit annoyed by an advertiser the other day talking about its life
insurance for Seniors.
Brian

--

--:
"Ahem A Rivet's Shot" <steveo@eircom.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 17:58:57 -0000
> Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Mature software sounds like something to access porn.
>
> Adult soft wear.
>
> --
> Steve O'Hara-Smith
> Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
> Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
> Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Do use 'Mature' software?

<uji875$r0ts$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29242&group=uk.rec.sheds#29242

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:35:48 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:35 UTC

Well what would a blind user use as a screenreader. I don't think a 20 year
olsd screenreader would suffice today. The other way out of this would be a
computer which can emulate all the things you would want to do, but be
completely alien to most people.
Brian

--

--:
"Mike Spencer" <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote in message

> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I think the word Mature sounds far better than the word 'legacy, or
>> unsupported. Having spent the best part of a weekend attempting to make
>> Windows 10 work efficiently for a blind user complete with accessible
>> alternatives to software 10 does not like, and failing and this morning
>> hearing that even their own email client is going to be phased our for
>> something even worse....
>
> I've been a GNU Emacs user for 30 years, 23 of those on my own Linux
> system.
>
> Every time I upgrade my Linux system -- five times now -- I allow the
> installation of the most recent version of Emacs. Then I spend
> countless hours trying to make new features and putative improvements
> to existing features, some of them merely annoying but some of them
> disruptive of usability, go away. Then I revert to the version that I
> downloaded and installed in 1999. This last upgrade, I just skipped
> the countless hours of irritation and went straight to the 20+
> y.o. version with which I'm composing this post.
>
> So far, that has worked without recompiling Emacs. I've stuck with 32
> bit Linux and all is well.
>
> --
> Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Do use 'Mature' software?

<uji89v$r0v3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29243&group=uk.rec.sheds#29243

From: richard@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:37:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:37 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 17:58:57 -0000
> Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Mature software sounds like something to access porn.
>
> Adult soft wear.

or Cheese.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Do use 'Mature' software?

<uji8a2$r1a0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29244&group=uk.rec.sheds#29244

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:37:20 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:37 UTC

So, if you were blind what kind of experience would you have?

Brian

--

--:
> On 20 Nov 2023 17:50:39 -0400
> Mike Spencer <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:
>
> Oh Yay vi-emacs wars time.
>
>> I've been a GNU Emacs user for 30 years, 23 of those on my own Linux
>> system.
>
> I've been a vi user for 38 years, 30 of them on my own FreeBSD
> systems.
>
>> Every time I upgrade my Linux system -- five times now -- I allow the
>> installation of the most recent version of Emacs.
>
> Every time I upgrade my FreeBSD system (lost count in the last 30
> years but way more than five, I track the current release pretty closely,
> it's a painless process, I install the latest vim - and use it without
> noticing any changes in the things I use. Sometimes I find a use for new
> features - syntax highlighting was nice when it turned up a while back.
>
> --
> Steve O'Hara-Smith
> Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
> Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
> Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Do use 'Mature' software?

<sLCcnSG3Gu15McH4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29245&group=uk.rec.sheds#29245

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 13:13:09 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-and-seize@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 13:13 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> Well what would a blind user use as a screenreader. I don't think a 20 year
> old screenreader would suffice today.

Do you pay for a commercial screenreader, or don't you regard them as
better than the free/open alternatives?

Re: Do use 'Mature' software?

<20231121135524.df10511c51b1d8f0f5e3ec0d@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29246&group=uk.rec.sheds#29246

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 13:55:24 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 13:55 UTC

On Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:37:20 -0000
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, if you were blind what kind of experience would you have?

Probably terrible.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Do use 'Mature' software?

<20231121135458.ff806b91d66b5266dc0f22e3@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29247&group=uk.rec.sheds#29247

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 13:54:58 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 13:54 UTC

On Tue, 21 Nov 2023 12:31:08 -0000
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> Or cheese?
>
> If we all acknowledge that we want the most productive experience, it
> surely cannot be right to re invent Windows every time with a new user
> interface. If I were in charge of Microsoft, I'd have made sure the XP
> experience was still available in a choice of shell.

The training courses for corporate users are big business.

> Now we are all getting to grips with ribbons, itself a stupid concept,

It is a real shame that there are no decent open source screen
readers for Linux or BSD. Otherwise - Windows just say no.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Re: Do use 'Mature' software?

<slrnulpk7p.dng.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29253&group=uk.rec.sheds#29253

From: maus@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 21 Nov 2023 15:47:05 GMT
 by: maus - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 15:47 UTC

On 2023-11-21, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Senior software?
>
> I got a bit annoyed by an advertiser the other day talking about its life
> insurance for Seniors.
> Brian

There was a scam before the (last crash), in which people were persuaded
to `release the equity' in their houses for a payment of cash.

It disappeared for a while, as house prices went into reverse, now it is
raising its ugly head again.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Death to the Influencers, hung, drawn and quartered is more than they deserve.