The best prophet of the future is the past.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

SubjectAuthor
* Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bidswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bidSpike
+* Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bidswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bidJNugent
+* Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bidswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bidSpike
+* Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bidswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bidSpike
+* Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bidswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bidSpike
|`* Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bidswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bidSpike
+* Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bidswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bidSpike
`* Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bidswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bidSpike
 `- Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bidswldx...@gmail.com

1
Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

<d404a236-11b1-476b-a549-6f904585aa1bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28220&group=uk.rec.cycling#28220

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 04:36:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 19 May 2023 11:36 UTC

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - SUCK IT UP KILLER.
------------------------------

A pedestrian whose actions killed a 77-year-old cyclist when she was angered by her being on the pavement has failed in an appeal against her sentence.

Auriol Grey, 49, shouted an expletive and gestured in an "aggressive way" towards Celia Ward, who fell into the path of a car in Huntingdon in 2020.

In March, Grey, of Bradbury Place, was jailed for three years after being convicted of manslaughter.

Court of Appeal judges dismissed her application for leave to appeal.

The two women passed each other in opposite directions on the pavement of the Cambridgeshire town's ring road, during the afternoon of 20 October.

In CCTV footage, Grey could be heard shouting at Mrs Ward, a retired midwife, to "get off the [expletive] pavement".

Appeal judges said Mrs Ward then "collided" with Grey and fell into the road, where she was hit by a car.

Her legal team had sought for her sentence to be reduced and suspended.

The Court of Appeal in London heard that, after she was jailed, a psychologist - in a report paid for by Grey's family - found an autism diagnosis.

Miranda Moore KC, representing Grey, who has cerebral palsy and is partially blind, argued that the sentence was "excessive" and the diagnosis may have made a difference in her case.

She had argued the sentencing judge had made findings of fact against evidence, stating it "came as something of a shock" he found the pavement to be a shared cycleway, despite the local council being unable to confirm that.

But Mr Justice Griffiths, sitting with Lord Justice William Davis and Judge Neil Flewitt, refused to grant permission for Grey to appeal against her sentence, concluding it was "not arguably manifestly excessive".

The court heard Mrs Ward's widower said their 50 years of marriage had ended "in the most horrific way".

In an impact statement, the driver of the car that hit Mrs Ward said there was "always a piece of me that feels guilty" and that her whole life had "turned upside down" following the incident.

Cambridgeshire County Council said following Grey's conviction it might have to review its shared pavements policy, admitting it did not know whether this section was one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-65645364

Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

<kcpts4Fs7thU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28252&group=uk.rec.cycling#28252

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 19 May 2023 18:35:48 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 19 May 2023 18:35 UTC

> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - SUCK IT UP KILLER.
> ------------------------------

That’s sick.

--
Spike

Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

<a75ec705-3e3f-4095-8179-6c4f6dc5d8dcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28256&group=uk.rec.cycling#28256

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 11:41:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 19 May 2023 18:41 UTC

QUOTE:
> But Mr Justice Griffiths, sitting with Lord Justice William Davis and Judge Neil Flewitt, refused to grant permission for Grey to appeal against her sentence. ENDS

Were all three of them bent cyclist lovers?

Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

<kdrf0gF47sjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29208&group=uk.rec.cycling#29208

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 12:50:40 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 11:50 UTC

> QUOTE:
>> But Mr Justice Griffiths, sitting with Lord Justice William Davis and Judge Neil Flewitt, refused to grant permission for Grey to appeal against her sentence. ENDS
>
> Were all three of them bent cyclist lovers?

Who knows?

Who cares?

the interesting thing is that you seem to "think" that that that is the
end of the matter. It isn't.

Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

<8324ed75-30fa-443c-a18a-a9d9873d877cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29214&group=uk.rec.cycling#29214

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 05:06:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 12:06 UTC

The court heard Mrs Ward's widower said their 50 years of marriage had ended "in the most horrific way".

In an impact statement, the driver of the car that hit Mrs Ward said there was "always a piece of me that feels guilty" and that her whole life had "turned upside down" following the incident.

Mr Justice Griffiths said: "A blameless woman had been killed by the unlawful act of [Grey] with devastating impact upon the family she left behind and upon others including the entirely blameless driver of the car."

He told the court the sentence passed "had to mark the gravity of the unlawful killing" while taking into account mitigating factors.

The sentencing judge Sean Enright had "placed very strong emphasis" on Grey's disabilities, he said.

He added: "We do not consider that the recent psychology report calls for a greater reduction than was already given in this respect by the judge."

Outside of court, Grey's brother-in-law Alisdair Luxmoore expressed their family's condolences to Mrs Ward's family, stating "our actions today must diminish nothing from the suffering that they have had to endure".

Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

<kdrifjF4p98U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29221&group=uk.rec.cycling#29221

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Jun 2023 12:49:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 12:49 UTC

Cyclist Charlie Alliston jailed for 18 months over death of pedestrian

Alliston jailed over death of Kim Briggs, who sustained ‘catastrophic’ head
injuries in east London collision last year
Damien Gayle
@damiengayle
Mon 18 Sep 2017 16.50 BST

A cyclist jailed for knocking over and killing a woman as he sped through
east London on a bike with no front brakes was told he was “an accident
waiting to happen” as he received an 18-month sentence.

Charlie Alliston, 20, who collided with Kim Briggs as she crossed Old
Street, was told by judge Wendy Joseph QC at the Old Bailey that the victim
“could have been any pedestrian” and that he had shown no remorse for her
death.

“You have throughout sought to put your blame on her,” the judge said.
“Perhaps one of the most shocking things about this case is that you could
not and apparently cannot still see any fault in your cycling or
judgment.“You chose to ride at a speed and on a bike which you could not
stop, your attitude being that everyone else would just have to get out of
your way,” Joseph added. “Of course you did not set out to cause the harm
you did – but the jury have found that you were aware of the risks and went
on to take them.”

Kim Briggs widower: 'this is not about anti-cycling, it's about wrongdoing'

Alliston was travelling at 18mph on his secondhand fixed-gear bike on 12
February 2016 when he collided with Kim Briggs, 44, as she stepped out into
Old Street.

Briggs, a mother of two, who was on her lunch break, suffered
“catastrophic” head injuries and died in hospital a week later.

Alliston was cleared of manslaughter but found guilty of causing bodily
harm by “wanton and furious driving”, a crime under the 1861 Offences
Against the Person Act, which carries a maximum sentence of two years in
jail.

During the trial, jurors heard that Alliston, a fan of “dangerous” bike
racing videos, had been riding a black Planet X carbon-frame track bike, a
model more commonly seen ridden by top cyclists such as Sir Chris Hoy and
Laura Trott at the Olympic velodrome. Alliston had not fitted the bicycle
with a front brake, as is required to make them legal to ride on the road.

The judge said Alliston’s “whole manner of driving” caused the accident.
“If your bicycle had a front-wheel brake you could have stopped, but on
this illegal bike, you could not. On your own evidence by this stage you
weren’t even trying to slow or stop. You expected her to get out of your
way.”

In mitigation, Mark Wyeth QC told the court that an apparent lack of
remorse shown by Alliston was a “coping strategy” derived from the loss of
his father, who died of a heart attack in the bathroom of the family home
when Alliston was 16.

“It’s [pre-sentence report author] Ruth Smith’s opinion, having spent time
with the defendant and presenting this report to the court, that here we
have a young man who presents with emotional flatness,” Wyeth said.

Wyeth also told the court that, following the death of Briggs, Alliston
spent nine days in the Maudsley psychiatric hospital, south London, having
been taken there by police who had found him out alone with a rope,
apparently in preparation for a suicide attempt. Wyeth said this episode,
and Alliston’s repeated calls to the hospital after the collision to check
on Briggs’s condition, were evidence of the defendant’s remorse.

But Joseph, after reading the report for herself in court, said she saw no
evidence that Alliston had shown remorse over the death of Briggs, “only
self-interested fear as to the difficulties it is causing for you”.

While accepting that he had suffered mental ill health, including a
diagnosis of depression, she noted the documented causes were “stress at
the prospect of a trial, fear of being sent to prison, and upset at your
girlfriend breaking off the relationship”, rather than regret over his
actions.

Alliston, from Bermondsey, south London, had denied both charges against
him. He raised his eyebrows as Joseph passed sentence and showed no emotion
as he was led away to begin his sentence in a young offender
institution.Briggs’ widower, Matthew, from Lewisham, south London, who was
in court to see Alliston jailed, has called for a “radical change” in
cycling culture and the introduction of new laws, including the offence of
causing death by dangerous cycling.

In a vicim impact statement, Matthew Briggs had earlier told the court of
the moment he had to tell his children that their mother was dying. “My
children had to say goodbye to their mother as she lay in the intensive
care unit,” he said. “Our world fell apart. I lost my wife and my best
friend.”

In a statement outside court, Briggs said: “This case has clearly and
evidently demonstrated there is a gap in the law when it comes to dealing
with death or serious injury by dangerous cycling.

“To have to rely on either manslaughter at one end, or a Victorian law that
doesn’t even mention causing death at the other end, tells us there is a
gap. The fact that what happened to Kim is rare is not a reason to have no
remedy.”

Speaking outside the court, Alliston’s mother, Karan, said her son had been
sentenced “appropriately” and thanked the judge for handling the case
fairly.

“On behalf of my son Charlie and all his family we would like to express
our sincere condolences to the Briggs family for their loss,” she said. “We
know that they bear the heaviest loss of all in this case.”

> The court heard Mrs Ward's widower said their 50 years of marriage had
> ended "in the most horrific way".
>
> In an impact statement, the driver of the car that hit Mrs Ward said
> there was "always a piece of me that feels guilty" and that her whole
> life had "turned upside down" following the incident.
>
> Mr Justice Griffiths said: "A blameless woman had been killed by the
> unlawful act of [Grey] with devastating impact upon the family she left
> behind and upon others including the entirely blameless driver of the car."
>
> He told the court the sentence passed "had to mark the gravity of the
> unlawful killing" while taking into account mitigating factors.
>
> The sentencing judge Sean Enright had "placed very strong emphasis" on
> Grey's disabilities, he said.
>
> He added: "We do not consider that the recent psychology report calls for
> a greater reduction than was already given in this respect by the judge."
>
> Outside of court, Grey's brother-in-law Alisdair Luxmoore expressed their
> family's condolences to Mrs Ward's family, stating "our actions today
> must diminish nothing from the suffering that they have had to endure".

--
Spike

Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

<0c7e881a-5532-4315-a944-7bb91a79e3f5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29224&group=uk.rec.cycling#29224

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 06:38:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 13:38 UTC

A pedestrian whose actions led to the death of a 77-year-old cyclist has failed in a bid to appeal her prison sentence.

Auriol Grey, 49, shouted an expletive and gestured in an "aggressive way" towards Celia Ward, who then fell into the path of a car on Huntingdon ring-road in 2020.

In March, Grey, of Bradbury Place, Huntingdon was jailed for three years after being convicted of manslaughter.

The Court of Appeal has dismissed her application for leave to appeal.

THE END - GOODNIGHT CHILDREN.

Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

<kdro8vF5lpbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29228&group=uk.rec.cycling#29228

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Jun 2023 14:28:47 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 14:28 UTC

> A pedestrian whose actions led to the death of a 77-year-old cyclist has
> failed in a bid to appeal her prison sentence.
>
> Auriol Grey, 49, shouted an expletive and gestured in an "aggressive way"
> towards Celia Ward, who then fell into the path of a car on Huntingdon ring-road in 2020.

An interesting comment from the legal group was that the act of
manslaughter had to be preceded by a significant and related act, but
mention of this act doesn’t seem to have been made (although the trial
transcript doesn’t seem to be publicly available at the moment). However,
it was a very extensive thread in that group, and the above might not
reflect a balanced view of the position.

Shouting and waving an arm about doesn’t count as a significant precursor.

> In March, Grey, of Bradbury Place, Huntingdon was jailed for three years
> after being convicted of manslaughter.

> The Court of Appeal has dismissed her application for leave to appeal.

> THE END - GOODNIGHT CHILDREN.

I’m sure we can rely on you to keep Auriol Grey’s injustice to the fore.

JAAMOI:

[Regarding the execution for desertion of Private Eddie Slovak in January
1945]

“They're not shooting me for deserting the United States Army, thousands of
guys have done that. They just need to make an example out of somebody and
I'm it because I'm an ex-con. I used to steal things when I was a kid, and
that's what they are shooting me for. They're shooting me for the bread and
chewing gum I stole when I was 12 years old.”[12]

Colonel Robert C. Bard of the judge advocate general's office noted that of
the 2,864 army personnel tried for desertion for the period January 1942
through June 1948, 49 were convicted and sentenced to death, with 48 of
those sentences commuted by higher authority. At least one of the members
of the tribunal came to believe that Slovik's execution was an injustice in
light of all the circumstances, and was an example of disparate treatment
from a flawed process.[4]

<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Slovik>

--
Spike

Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

<aa9de376-2e70-476f-adc6-8eaa4d9e74e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29229&group=uk.rec.cycling#29229

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 07:32:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 14:32 UTC

Auriol Grey, whose actions led to the death of a cyclist after she gesticulated and swore at her, has lost her appeal against her prison sentence. CCTV footage showed Grey shouting at retired midwife Celia Ward to "get off the f****** pavement" in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, leading to her falling into the road.

Mrs Ward, 77, of Wyton, Cambridgeshire, died after she was struck by a car on October 20, 2020. Grey, who has cerebral palsy, denied manslaughter but was found guilty following a retrial at Peterborough Crown Court.

Grey was sentenced to three years in prison but appealed the sentence. However, Court of Appeal judges have dismissed her application for leave to appeal.

Miranda Moore KC, representing Grey, who has cerebral palsy and is partially blind, argued that the sentence was "excessive" and the diagnosis may have made a difference in her case. A report paid for by Grey's family also found an autism diagnosis.

However, appeal judges said Mrs Ward and Grey collided following the latter's actions and said the sentence was not 'arguably manifestly excessive'.

The judge at the original trial said her actions were "not explained by disability" as he handed her a three-year prison term.

He added that Grey had no mental disorder or learning difficulties and the pavement was 2.4 metres wide at the relevant point, describing it as a "shared path on the ring road".

He told Grey: "You have not expressed a word about remorse until the pre-sentencing notes. I accept the explanation from the counsel and that the difficulty you would face in custody and afterwards are considerable."

He added that Grey had no mental disorder or learning difficulties and the pavement was 2.4 metres wide at the relevant point, describing it as a "shared path on the ring road".

The defendant was described as "childlike" in a probation report and that she "does not pose an ongoing risk to the community".

Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

<kdrqjhF607rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29232&group=uk.rec.cycling#29232

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Jun 2023 15:08:33 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 15:08 UTC

> Auriol Grey, whose actions led to the death of a cyclist after she
> gesticulated and swore at her, has lost her appeal against her prison
> sentence. CCTV footage showed Grey shouting at retired midwife Celia Ward
> to "get off the f****** pavement" in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, leading
> to her falling into the road.

Technically speaking, Auriol Grey’s action preceded rather than led to Mrs
Ward’s demise.

> Mrs Ward, 77, of Wyton, Cambridgeshire, died after she was struck by a
> car on October 20, 2020. Grey, who has cerebral palsy, denied
> manslaughter but was found guilty following a retrial at Peterborough Crown Court.

One trial out of two; was Auriol Grey being scapegoated by the legal
system?

> Grey was sentenced to three years in prison but appealed the sentence.
> However, Court of Appeal judges have dismissed her application for leave to appeal.

> Miranda Moore KC, representing Grey, who has cerebral palsy and is
> partially blind, argued that the sentence was "excessive" and the
> diagnosis may have made a difference in her case. A report paid for by
> Grey's family also found an autism diagnosis.

Quite.

> However, appeal judges said Mrs Ward and Grey collided following the
> latter's actions and said the sentence was not 'arguably manifestly excessive'.

One has to admire weasel-wording…

> The judge at the original trial said her actions were "not explained by
> disability" as he handed her a three-year prison term.

> He added that Grey had no mental disorder or learning difficulties and
> the pavement was 2.4 metres wide at the relevant point, describing it as
> a "shared path on the ring road".

Which seems not to have been borne out by any authoritative document.

> He told Grey: "You have not expressed a word about remorse until the
> pre-sentencing notes. I accept the explanation from the counsel and that
> the difficulty you would face in custody and afterwards are considerable."

> He added that Grey had no mental disorder or learning difficulties and
> the pavement was 2.4 metres wide at the relevant point, describing it as
> a "shared path on the ring road".

> The defendant was described as "childlike" in a probation report and that
> she "does not pose an ongoing risk to the community".

Nuff said.

--
Spike

Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

<26b9132d-a588-4782-a78c-f1e72e3f0e32n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29237&group=uk.rec.cycling#29237

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 10:22:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 17:22 UTC

A woman jailed for manslaughter after shouting at a cyclist who then fell into the road and was killed by an oncoming car has had an appeal against her three-year jail sentence rejected.

Auriol Grey, 49, shouted at retired midwife Celia Ward to “get off the f****** pavement” in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, causing her to fall into the road in an incident that was captured on CCTV.

Ms Ward, a 77-year-old grandmother of Wyton, Cambridgeshire, died after she was struck by a car on 20 October 2020.

Judges ruled that Grey’s sentence was not excessive – despite her suffering with disabilities.
In an interview with police following the incident, Grey told officers she believed that cyclists should “purely” stay on the road and not the footpath.

Grey denied manslaughter but was found guilty after a retrial at Peterborough Crown Court and was jailed for three years in March.

She has cerebral palsy and partial blindness, and her lawyers argued that the sentence was “excessive”, adding that an autism diagnosis secured after her trial may have made a difference in her case.

But Mr Justice Griffiths, sitting with Lord Justice William Davis and Judge Neil Flewitt, refused to grant permission for Ms Grey to appeal against her sentence, concluding it was “not arguably manifestly excessive. He said the sentence passed “had to mark the gravity of the unlawful killing” while taking into account mitigating factors, such as Grey’s disabilities.

Miranda Moore KC, representing Grey, in the “very unusual” case, earlier told the court that a suspended sentence would have been "appropriate".

The court heard that the issue of autism “only raised its head” after Grey’s sentencing, with a subsequent psychologist report placing her within the “autism spectrum” and saying she had a “limited understanding of her own emotions”.

Ms Moore said autism can give someone “fixed views” and that an autistic person does not like people being close to them.

“This was a lady being sentenced as an aggressive and territorial pavement user and it was her aggression and territoriality which made her behave in the way that she did,” Ms Moore said.

“Having read this report with her diagnosis, that is so much more understandable.”

She also said criticisms of Grey for “showing no empathy”, “leaving the scene” and over what she said to police were “less than fair... knowing what we know now”.

Ms Moore also challenged the way Grey’s sentence was calculated, including the judge’s findings over evidence in the case and the weight given to mitigating factors.

Auriol Grey, 49, shouted at retired midwife Celia Ward to “get off the f****** pavement”
(PA)

Prosecutor Simon Spence KC said the sentencing judge had applied legal guidelines “entirely properly”, arguing that the new psychologist report did not reduce Grey’s culpability.

Mr Justice Griffiths rejected Grey’s appeal arguments but noted she had expressed remorse for her offence and never intended to cause harm.

“The judge placed very strong emphasis on the applicant’s disabilities and their effect on her as mitigating features.

“We do not consider that the recent psychology report calls for a greater reduction than was already given in this respect by the judge.”

Judge Sean Enright, sentencing Grey, of Huntingdon, previously said her actions were “not explained by disability”.

He said that Grey had no mental disorder or learning difficulties and he said the pavement was 2.4 metres wide at the relevant point, describing it as a “shared path on the ring road”.

In a statement released through police after Grey was sentenced, Mrs Ward’s widower David Ward said: “After 53 years of happy marriage, Celia was taken from me in a most horrific way, leaving me with my memories.

“She was kind, calm, careful, cheerful and competent in all that she did.

“Her death has caused me great suffering. We relied on each other, shared the same sense of humour and outlook on life, and enjoyed each other’s company.

“I miss her terribly.”

Her daughter, Gillian Hayter, added in a statement released through police: “Her untimely death has turned our world on its head and there isn’t a day that goes by when I don’t wish I could pick up the phone to ask her advice, celebrate the special events in our lives or just tell her how much I love her.”

Speaking after Friday’s hearing, Ms Moore told reporters: “The law of manslaughter needs to change because the perception of risk does not cater for people who are mentally challenged as Auriol is.”

Speaking outside court, Alisdair Luxmore, Grey’s brother-in law, offered condolences to Mrs Ward’s family, adding: “Our actions today must diminish nothing from the suffering they’ve had to endure."

He said: “We don’t believe that prison is the right place for someone in Auriol’s circumstances and frankly it’s a complete waste of taxpayers’ money. It’s doing no benefit to society and really it’s difficult to understand the point of it.

“I think there are mitigating circumstances, her mental and her physical (conditions) and her eyesight, those issues all taken together mean she acts in a certain way that’s different from everybody else and it appears the law doesn’t take account of that or allow for that.”

Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

<kds4btF7emhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29247&group=uk.rec.cycling#29247

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Jun 2023 17:55:09 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 17:55 UTC

> A woman jailed for manslaughter after shouting at a cyclist who then fell
> into the road and was killed by an oncoming car has had an appeal against
> her three-year jail sentence rejected.

That’s rough on the lady; she’s had her appeal rejected four times today!

--
Spike

Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

<c5093606-3cd6-4d9e-ab26-99defbb697ccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29253&group=uk.rec.cycling#29253

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 11:51:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 18:51 UTC

RoadiesCycles 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺
@roadiescycles
·
May 19
At that time.....under Covid Tranche 1 schemes...this lane of the Ring Rd was supposed to be close to vehicles and for 2 way cycling....however..... and approved by the county council....but it Never was implemented..... as Cambridge was more "important"...as per usual.

Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

<kds811F808lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29255&group=uk.rec.cycling#29255

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Jun 2023 18:57:37 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 18:57 UTC

> RoadiesCycles 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺
> @roadiescycles
> ·
> May 19
> At that time.....under Covid Tranche 1 schemes...this lane of the Ring Rd
> was supposed to be close to vehicles and for 2 way
> cycling....however..... and approved by the county council....but it
> Never was implemented..... as Cambridge was more "important"...as per usual.

Someone else been on the sundowners?

--
Spike

Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

<831af81e-213d-4c4e-a773-e263635d9ff1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29259&group=uk.rec.cycling#29259

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 12:27:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 19:27 UTC

Auriol Grey, whose actions led to the death of a cyclist after she gesticulated and swore at her, has lost her appeal against her prison sentence. CCTV footage showed Grey shouting at retired midwife Celia Ward to "get off the f****** pavement" in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, leading to her falling into the road.

Mrs Ward, 77, of Wyton, Cambridgeshire, died after she was struck by a car on October 20, 2020. Grey, who has cerebral palsy, denied manslaughter but was found guilty following a retrial at Peterborough Crown Court.

Grey was sentenced to three years in prison but appealed the sentence. However, Court of Appeal judges have dismissed her application for leave to appeal.

Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

<kdsh5oF9bjdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29264&group=uk.rec.cycling#29264

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 1 Jun 2023 21:33:44 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 21:33 UTC

swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote

> Auriol Grey, whose actions led to the death of a cyclist after she
> gesticulated and swore at her, has lost her appeal against her prison sentence.

That’s rough on the lady; she’s had her appeal rejected five times today!

--
Spike

Re: Auriol Grey: Huntingdon cyclist killer fails in appeal bid

<78bb71b1-12fe-4093-bd53-6dc40b9fc8b4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29273&group=uk.rec.cycling#29273

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 21:23:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 04:23 UTC

On Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 8:27:16 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Auriol Grey, whose actions led to the death of a cyclist after she gesticulated and swore at her, has lost her appeal against her prison sentence. CCTV footage showed Grey shouting at retired midwife Celia Ward to "get off the f****** pavement" in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, leading to her falling into the road.
> Mrs Ward, 77, of Wyton, Cambridgeshire, died after she was struck by a car on October 20, 2020. Grey, who has cerebral palsy, denied manslaughter but was found guilty following a retrial at Peterborough Crown Court.
>
> Grey was sentenced to three years in prison but appealed the sentence. However, Court of Appeal judges have dismissed her application for leave to appeal.

Is she still wriggling?
Maybe get Mr Arsehole on the case - he needs a few "successes" after his recent failures.