Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 11:05:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Letter: In defence of cyclists after letter criticising their
behaviour on our roads
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 18:05 UTC

"I observed two cyclists riding abreast of each other on a narrow road". It’s not illegal to do this. Motorists need to give a cyclist 1.5m of space, so if they had been single file on a narrow road, he wouldn't have been able to pass anyway.

"Abused at the expense of those who pay to keep our roads fit for purpose". Roads are subsidised by the tax payer via PAYE, so everyone pays. What if these cyclists own a car and pay tax?

Why is it null and void when they get on a bike? Also, what about electric vehicles and low emission cars that pay no tax? Aren't they allowed to use the road?

“The car drivers of today dare not overtake a cyclist without fearing a recording of his driving being made available to a court of law”. Have you heard of dashcams? If nothing illegal happened, surely it's not a problem.

“For two-pedal power enthusiasts, being able to hold law-abiding motorists to ransom is far from acceptable and delays people going about their business.”

What if the cyclist was commuting and going about their business?

How does Alan cope at a pedestrian crossing, when it’s on red?

So Alan makes four points, all of them, in my view, complete nonsense.

I think Harlan Ellison said it best: 'You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."

https://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/opinion/letters/letter-in-defence-of-cyclists-after-letter-criticising-their-behaviour-on-our-roads-4167594

Re: Letter: In defence of cyclists after letter criticising their behaviour on our roads

<kduqkfFk2bsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29286&group=uk.rec.cycling#29286

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Letter: In defence of cyclists after letter criticising
their behaviour on our roads
Date: 2 Jun 2023 18:27:27 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 18:27 UTC

> "I observed two cyclists riding abreast of each other on a narrow road".
> It’s not illegal to do this. Motorists need to give a cyclist 1.5m of
> space, so if they had been single file on a narrow road, he wouldn't have
> been able to pass anyway.
>
> "Abused at the expense of those who pay to keep our roads fit for
> purpose". Roads are subsidised by the tax payer via PAYE, so everyone
> pays. What if these cyclists own a car and pay tax?
>
> Why is it null and void when they get on a bike? Also, what about
> electric vehicles and low emission cars that pay no tax? Aren't they
> allowed to use the road?
>
> “The car drivers of today dare not overtake a cyclist without fearing a
> recording of his driving being made available to a court of law”. Have
> you heard of dashcams? If nothing illegal happened, surely it's not a problem.
>
> “For two-pedal power enthusiasts, being able to hold law-abiding
> motorists to ransom is far from acceptable and delays people going about their business.”
>
> What if the cyclist was commuting and going about their business?
>
> How does Alan cope at a pedestrian crossing, when it’s on red?
>
> So Alan makes four points, all of them, in my view, complete nonsense.
>
> I think Harlan Ellison said it best: 'You are not entitled to your
> opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
>
> https://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/opinion/letters/letter-in-defence-of-cyclists-after-letter-criticising-their-behaviour-on-our-roads-4167594

If supposition is piled upon supposition, the conclusions drawn can be
anything the supposer desires.

I hope the style of this report doesn’t count as reasoned argument.

--
Spike

Re: Letter: In defence of cyclists after letter criticising their behaviour on our roads

<85a94b28-dcc9-4570-9484-2fd7c26abbe3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29287&group=uk.rec.cycling#29287

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 11:43:42 -0700 (PDT)
behaviour on our roads
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 18:43 UTC

QUOTE: How does Alan cope at a pedestrian crossing, when it’s on red? ENDS

Probably goes even redder in the face while bellowing at 5 year old kids having the gall to cross the road making him wait for 15 seconds.