From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Police: 3000 burglaries a day NFA
Date: 3 Jun 2023 15:20:54 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 15:20 UTC

Police: 3000 burglaries a day NFA

Due to lack of resources the police in E&W are closing more than a million
cases of burglary and theft every year with NFA after the initial report.

This is the time to ask the question as to whether the police can afford to
follow up on ‘cases’ where a driver has not collided with a cyclist.

Freeing up these officers would mean they could be deployed on at least a
basic follow-up to a report of a burglary or theft report, as it is known
that once burgled, the chances of a repeat of the crime is a staggering
25%, and effective action can be taken to mitigate against this, especially
when police officer offers advice on countermeasures. At present,
conviction rates are very low.

It’s time the police stopped pussy-footing about with non-crimes like
‘close passes’ and tackled real issues.

--
Spike

Re: Police: 3000 burglaries a day NFA

<ke17brFls2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29302&group=uk.rec.cycling#29302

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Police: 3000 burglaries a day NFA
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 17:16:58 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 16:16 UTC

On 03/06/2023 04:20 pm, Spike wrote:

> Police: 3000 burglaries a day NFA
>
> Due to lack of resources the police in E&W are closing more than a million
> cases of burglary and theft every year with NFA after the initial report.
>
> This is the time to ask the question as to whether the police can afford to
> follow up on ‘cases’ where a driver has not collided with a cyclist.
>
> Freeing up these officers would mean they could be deployed on at least a
> basic follow-up to a report of a burglary or theft report, as it is known
> that once burgled, the chances of a repeat of the crime is a staggering
> 25%, and effective action can be taken to mitigate against this, especially
> when police officer offers advice on countermeasures. At present,
> conviction rates are very low.
>
> It’s time the police stopped pussy-footing about with non-crimes like
> ‘close passes’ and tackled real issues.

No-one *with* a brain and *without* a perverted personal agenda could
possibly disagree with that.

And as if to prove the point: Mad Mason will disagree with it.

Re: Police: 3000 burglaries a day NFA

<u5fuh5$3kfgd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29309&group=uk.rec.cycling#29309

From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 17:50:30 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:gr7KBBaUEF89VWqFOaqfQ6judkc=
 by: Brian - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 17:50 UTC

Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:

> Police: 3000 burglaries a day NFA
>
> Due to lack of resources the police in E&W are closing more than a million
> cases of burglary and theft every year with NFA after the initial report.
>
> This is the time to ask the question as to whether the police can afford to
> follow up on ‘cases’ where a driver has not collided with a cyclist.
>
> Freeing up these officers would mean they could be deployed on at least a
> basic follow-up to a report of a burglary or theft report, as it is known
> that once burgled, the chances of a repeat of the crime is a staggering
> 25%, and effective action can be taken to mitigate against this, especially
> when police officer offers advice on countermeasures. At present,
> conviction rates are very low.
>
> It’s time the police stopped pussy-footing about with non-crimes like
> ‘close passes’ and tackled real issues.

Especially where the video evidence is clearly flawed if not faked.

Re: Police: 3000 burglaries a day NFA

<ke1p8jF3c0eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29330&group=uk.rec.cycling#29330

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 3 Jun 2023 21:22:28 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 21:22 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
> Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Police: 3000 burglaries a day NFA
>>
>> Due to lack of resources the police in E&W are closing more than a million
>> cases of burglary and theft every year with NFA after the initial report.
>>
>> This is the time to ask the question as to whether the police can afford to
>> follow up on ‘cases’ where a driver has not collided with a cyclist.
>>
>> Freeing up these officers would mean they could be deployed on at least a
>> basic follow-up to a report of a burglary or theft report, as it is known
>> that once burgled, the chances of a repeat of the crime is a staggering
>> 25%, and effective action can be taken to mitigate against this, especially
>> when police officer offers advice on countermeasures. At present,
>> conviction rates are very low.
>>
>> It’s time the police stopped pussy-footing about with non-crimes like
>> ‘close passes’ and tackled real issues.

> Especially where the video evidence is clearly flawed if not faked.

And no-one mentions the mechanism by which the alleged ‘close pass’
distance is determined. It just seems to be rule of thumb.

--
Spike

Re: Police: 3000 burglaries a day NFA

<u5ic9g$gv4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29360&group=uk.rec.cycling#29360

From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 15:57:37 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:dok2TtnTI2wI6FEP5RExzWqH5o8=
 by: Brian - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 15:57 UTC

Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
> Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>> Spike <Aero.Spike@mail.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Police: 3000 burglaries a day NFA
>>>
>>> Due to lack of resources the police in E&W are closing more than a million
>>> cases of burglary and theft every year with NFA after the initial report.
>>>
>>> This is the time to ask the question as to whether the police can afford to
>>> follow up on ‘cases’ where a driver has not collided with a cyclist.
>>>
>>> Freeing up these officers would mean they could be deployed on at least a
>>> basic follow-up to a report of a burglary or theft report, as it is known
>>> that once burgled, the chances of a repeat of the crime is a staggering
>>> 25%, and effective action can be taken to mitigate against this, especially
>>> when police officer offers advice on countermeasures. At present,
>>> conviction rates are very low.
>>>
>>> It’s time the police stopped pussy-footing about with non-crimes like
>>> ‘close passes’ and tackled real issues.
>
>> Especially where the video evidence is clearly flawed if not faked.
>
> And no-one mentions the mechanism by which the alleged ‘close pass’
> distance is determined. It just seems to be rule of thumb.

Exactly.

Without knowing the relative positions, angle of camera etc, not to mention
being sure the data hasn’t been doctored, the video should not be trusted.

Plus, why does the ‘close pass’ rule not apply both ways? It should
prevent a cyclist squeezing between lines of cars, between cars and the
kerb, plus ( of course) when they take to the pavement.