Declared guilty... of displaying feelings of an almost human nature. -- Pink Floyd, "The Wall"

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / 4th IT20

SubjectAuthor
* 4th IT20John Hall
`* 4th IT20max.it
 +* 4th IT20mike
 |+* 4th IT20John Hall
 ||`* 4th IT20miked
 || +- 4th IT20David North
 || `* 4th IT20John Hall
 ||  `* 4th IT20David North
 ||   `* 4th IT20John Hall
 ||    `* 4th IT20mike
 ||     `- 4th IT20max.it
 |`- 4th IT20max.it
 `- 4th IT20John Hall

1
4th IT20

<Q4su0DBZOrglFwec@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29355&group=uk.sport.cricket#29355

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: 4th IT20
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:27:53 +0000
 by: John Hall - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:27 UTC

Who'd be a bowler?!
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: 4th IT20

<1nm5oihg8mv1speukf2rtcr6qap0p11s5h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29356&group=uk.sport.cricket#29356

From: max@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: 4th IT20
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 12:21:53 +0000
 by: max.it - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 12:21 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:27:53 +0000, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>Who'd be a bowler?!

I must have missed a match if that was the 4th.
Last week I baffled myself when I was reading the Zim / Ire scorecard.
For a while I thought Joylord Gumbie was a West Indian player. With
the WI /ENG series ongoing I seemed to be making a couple of wrong
connections fit nicely.

max.it

Re: 4th IT20

<05e6bb04-fef1-42ee-abd0-bb35bd4ab76en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29357&group=uk.sport.cricket#29357

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 08:32:50 -0800 (PST)
From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:32 UTC

On Wednesday, December 20, 2023 at 12:22:00 PM UTC, max.it wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:27:53 +0000, John Hall
> <john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Who'd be a bowler?!

must be a very small ground at grenada. is this going to be used in the
WC next year? imagine what india or RSA could do to 1 of the minnows
[or england] here! records galore, but salt 119 was englands highest,
and the 1st to score consecutive t20 100s for them. apparently the
1st player to do this was a frenchman called Gustav.

> I must have missed a match if that was the 4th.
> Last week I baffled myself when I was reading the Zim / Ire scorecard.
> For a while I thought Joylord Gumbie was a West Indian player. With
> the WI /ENG series ongoing I seemed to be making a couple of wrong
> connections fit nicely.

i heard 1 of the umpires was called custard.

mike

Re: 4th IT20

<Wa4EaIBjmxglFw8I@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29358&group=uk.sport.cricket#29358

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:43:15 +0000
 by: John Hall - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:43 UTC

In message <1nm5oihg8mv1speukf2rtcr6qap0p11s5h@4ax.com>, max. it
<max@tea.time> writes
>On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:27:53 +0000, John Hall
><john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Who'd be a bowler?!
>
>I must have missed a match if that was the 4th.

England have won two and WI have won two, so if it wasn't the 4th match
then 2+2 no longer equals 4. :)

>Last week I baffled myself when I was reading the Zim / Ire scorecard.
>For a while I thought Joylord Gumbie was a West Indian player.

With a name like that, he really ought to be.

> With
>the WI /ENG series ongoing I seemed to be making a couple of wrong
>connections fit nicely.
>
>max.it

:)
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: 4th IT20

<TquF2pB4rxglFwfh@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29359&group=uk.sport.cricket#29359

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:48:56 +0000
 by: John Hall - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 16:48 UTC

In message <05e6bb04-fef1-42ee-abd0-bb35bd4ab76en@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Wednesday, December 20, 2023 at 12:22:000 >> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:27:53 +0000, John Hall
>> <john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >Who'd be a bowler?!
>
>must be a very small ground at grenada. is this going to be used in the
>WC next year? imagine what india or RSA could do to 1 of the minnows
>[or england] here! records galore, but salt 119 was englands highest,
>and the 1st to score consecutive t20 100s for them. apparently the
>1st player to do this was a frenchman called Gustav.

Whilst the third match - in which both sides scored 220-odd - was played
in Grenada (as was the second), the fourth was played in Trinidad. I
believe most of the WI grounds are on the small side, so no doubt, given
decent pitches in the WC, there will be more high scores.

>> I must have missed a match if that was the 4th.
>> Last week I baffled myself when I was reading the Zim / Ire scorecard.
>> For a while I thought Joylord Gumbie was a West Indian player. With
>> the WI /ENG series ongoing I seemed to be making a couple of wrong
>> connections fit nicely.
>>

>i heard 1 of the umpires was called custard.
>
>mike

Almost. I think it's Gustard. I bet everyone calls him Custard, though.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: 4th IT20

<2676oip0829ujaapg445212hb7o83276bq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29360&group=uk.sport.cricket#29360

From: max@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:01:17 +0000
 by: max.it - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 17:01 UTC

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 08:32:50 -0800 (PST), mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 20, 2023 at 12:22:00?PM UTC, max.it wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023 09:27:53 +0000, John Hall
>> <john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >Who'd be a bowler?!
>
>must be a very small ground at grenada. is this going to be used in the
>WC next year? imagine what india or RSA could do to 1 of the minnows
>[or england] here! records galore, but salt 119 was englands highest,
>and the 1st to score consecutive t20 100s for them. apparently the
>1st player to do this was a frenchman called Gustav.
>
>> I must have missed a match if that was the 4th.
>> Last week I baffled myself when I was reading the Zim / Ire scorecard.
>> For a while I thought Joylord Gumbie was a West Indian player. With
>> the WI /ENG series ongoing I seemed to be making a couple of wrong
>> connections fit nicely.
>>

>i heard 1 of the umpires was called custard.
>
>mike

Patrick Gustard.
Never gets flustered ;-)

max.it

Re: 4th IT20

<c2a97767055b56c0d942893738573384@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29361&group=uk.sport.cricket#29361

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:36:35 +0000
 by: miked - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 22:36 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <05e6bb04-fef1-42ee-abd0-bb35bd4ab76en@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>>must be a very small ground at grenada. is this going to be used in the
>>WC next year? imagine what india or RSA could do to 1 of the minnows
>>[or england] here! records galore, but salt 119 was englands highest,
>>and the 1st to score consecutive t20 100s for them. apparently the
>>1st player to do this was a frenchman called Gustav.

> Whilst the third match - in which both sides scored 220-odd - was played
> in Grenada (as was the second), the fourth was played in Trinidad. I
> believe most of the WI grounds are on the small side, so no doubt, given
> decent pitches in the WC, there will be more high scores.

yes yor right but it was Tarouba not PoS, and the boundaries looked
quite short. entertaining as it was, when every other ball seems to
go for 4 or 6, the dot ball becomes the standout!

Clearly they had decided beforehand that Salt would keep, perhaps
cos Buttler wanted to show more captaincy skills, but after that
big effort batting, his keeping was a bit scrappy.

And although the crowds are as small as the grounds it was very noisy.
I remember that when they had a WC in windies before [2007?] the grounds
were pretty empty which must be a concern for next year. I dont think
June is great scheduling.

mike

Re: 4th IT20

<kui5fqF23l0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29362&group=uk.sport.cricket#29362

From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 06:49:30 +0000
 by: David North - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 06:49 UTC

On 20/12/2023 22:36, miked wrote:

> remember that when they had a WC in windies before [2007?] the grounds
> were pretty empty which must be a concern for next year.

In that WC, the ticket prices were too high for the locals. Hopefully
they will be more sensible this time.

--
David North

Re: 4th IT20

<3aiM6OBMGBhlFwwj@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29363&group=uk.sport.cricket#29363

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 10:21:00 +0000
 by: John Hall - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 10:21 UTC

In message <c2a97767055b56c0d942893738573384@news.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>John Hall wrote:
>
>> In message <05e6bb04-fef1-42ee-abd0-bb35bd4ab76en@googlegroups.com>,
>>mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>>On Wednesday, December 20, 2023 at 12:22:000 >> On Wed, 20 Dec 2023
>>>09:27:53 +0000, John Hall

>>>must be a very small ground at grenada. is this going to be used in the
>>>WC next year? imagine what india or RSA could do to 1 of the minnows
>>>[or england] here! records galore, but salt 119 was englands highest,
>>>and the 1st to score consecutive t20 100s for them. apparently the
>>>1st player to do this was a frenchman called Gustav.
>
>> Whilst the third match - in which both sides scored 220-odd - was
>>played in Grenada (as was the second), the fourth was played in
>>Trinidad. I believe most of the WI grounds are on the small side, so
>>no doubt, given decent pitches in the WC, there will be more high scores.
>
>yes yor right but it was Tarouba not PoS,

Yes. I'm guessing that the WC matches in Trinidad might be played there
too, as from the TV coverage it has one large and very modern-looking
stand, which I suspect may not be the case with PoS.

> and the boundaries looked
>quite short. entertaining as it was, when every other ball seems to
>go for 4 or 6, the dot ball becomes the standout!

Yep. It did mean that on the hour-long highlights package (more like 45
minutes after allowing for ad breaks), even some of the fours had to be
left out. At one point we saw England bring up their fifty, and then -
almost from the next ball, it seemed - bring up their hundred.

I'd watched the England innings live, but like to go to bed at a
sensible hour these days, so watched the highlights so I could see the
WI innings - or at least the sixes and wickets! From the highlights, you
could have formed the impression that Adil Rashid was expensive, as they
showed three or four sixes off his bowling, whereas actually he was the
most economical bowler on show.

>Clearly they had decided beforehand that Salt would keep, perhaps
>cos Buttler wanted to show more captaincy skills,

Yes, he probably wanted to field in a position where it would be easier
for him to talk to his bowlers.

> but after that
>big effort batting, his keeping was a bit scrappy.

Understandable. I think he still finished very much in credit.

>And although the crowds are as small as the grounds it was very noisy.

One thing the ground had that we hadn't seen at the other grounds was
two groups of three female cheerleaders, one group dressed in
traditional cheerleading costumes and one group dressed as for carnival,
i.e. wearing very little at all, which may have added to the noise. I'm
certainly not going to complain, though. :)

> I remember that when they had a WC in windies before [2007?] the
>grounds were pretty empty which must be a concern for next year.

It seems to be the case in most countries that in group matches not
involving the home team the crowds aren't great. (Yes, I know that West
Indies isn't actually a country.)

> I dont think
>June is great scheduling.

Was this WC only scheduled late on, when other competitions had already
fixed their schedules? I know Covid rather threw things out of gear for
a while, and it will only be about 18 months after the last T20 WC.
Early in the year would have been cooler and hence preferable, but at
least they have avoiding the rainy/hurricane season, which runs from
about July to November, I think.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: 4th IT20

<kul86kFqiv9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29369&group=uk.sport.cricket#29369

From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 10:54:12 +0000
 by: David North - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 10:54 UTC

On 21/12/2023 10:21, John Hall wrote:
> In message <c2a97767055b56c0d942893738573384@news.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes

> It seems to be the case in most countries that in group matches not
> involving the home team the crowds aren't great. (Yes, I know that West
> Indies isn't actually a country.)

Even us pedants can't take issue in this case. All of the matches will
still be played in countries, after all, and West Indies will still be
the home team, apart from the matches played in the USA.

--
David North

Re: 4th IT20

<bVk1DgBjvWhlFwl9@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29370&group=uk.sport.cricket#29370

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 10:58:43 +0000
 by: John Hall - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 10:58 UTC

In message <kul86kFqiv9U1@mid.individual.net>, David North
<nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>On 21/12/2023 10:21, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <c2a97767055b56c0d942893738573384@news.novabbs.com>, miked
>><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>
>> It seems to be the case in most countries that in group matches not
>>involving the home team the crowds aren't great. (Yes, I know that
>>West Indies isn't actually a country.)
>
>Even us pedants can't take issue in this case. All of the matches will
>still be played in countries, after all, and West Indies will still be
>the home team, apart from the matches played in the USA.

True, but it's still possible that if a WI match is played in an island
that doesn't happen to have any representatives in the team then the
crowd might not be great. I hope that won't happen, but I know that
inter-island rivalry in WI cricket is very strong.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: 4th IT20

<24cba2aa-9a6c-47c9-88ba-e52c1d465c60n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29371&group=uk.sport.cricket#29371

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 08:25:08 -0800 (PST)
From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:25 UTC

On Friday, December 22, 2023 at 10:59:12 AM UTC, John Hall wrote:
> In message <kul86k...@mid.individual.net>, David North
> <nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
> >On 21/12/2023 10:21, John Hall wrote:
> >> In message <c2a97767055b56c0...@news.novabbs.com>, miked
> >><dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >
> >> It seems to be the case in most countries that in group matches not
> >>involving the home team the crowds aren't great. (Yes, I know that
> >>West Indies isn't actually a country.)
> >
> >Even us pedants can't take issue in this case. All of the matches will
> >still be played in countries, after all, and West Indies will still be
> >the home team, apart from the matches played in the USA.
> >
> True, but it's still possible that if a WI match is played in an island
> that doesn't happen to have any representatives in the team then the
> crowd might not be great. I hope that won't happen, but I know that
> inter-island rivalry in WI cricket is very strong.
> --

so far i see the venues in the caribean are st'lucia, st.vincent, barbados
at Tarouba Trinidad, as you say no Queens park, plus the 3 venues
in USA at Dallas, Miami and Long island. There must be more that havnt
confirmed yet. Surely theyll have 1 in Kingston Jamaica? What about Guyana?
I spose they might be worried that Venezuela invades. It all surely should have
been sorted by now.

mike

Re: 4th IT20

<o8lboi55kbldop6vug7o487lb8paavh3rv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29372&group=uk.sport.cricket#29372

From: max@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 18:32:05 +0000
References: <Q4su0DBZOrglFwec@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <1nm5oihg8mv1speukf2rtcr6qap0p11s5h@4ax.com> <05e6bb04-fef1-42ee-abd0-bb35bd4ab76en@googlegroups.com> <TquF2pB4rxglFwfh@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <c2a97767055b56c0d942893738573384@news.novabbs.com> <3aiM6OBMGBhlFwwj@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <kul86kFqiv9U1@mid.individual.net> <bVk1DgBjvWhlFwl9@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <24cba2aa-9a6c-47c9-88ba-e52c1d465c60n@googlegroups.com>
 by: max.it - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 18:32 UTC

On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 08:25:08 -0800 (PST), mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Friday, December 22, 2023 at 10:59:12?AM UTC, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <kul86k...@mid.individual.net>, David North
>> <nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes

>> >Even us pedants can't take issue in this case. All of the matches will
>> >still be played in countries, after all, and West Indies will still be
>> >the home team, apart from the matches played in the USA.
>> >
>> True, but it's still possible that if a WI match is played in an island
>> that doesn't happen to have any representatives in the team then the
>> crowd might not be great. I hope that won't happen, but I know that
>> inter-island rivalry in WI cricket is very strong.
>> --
>
>so far i see the venues in the caribean are st'lucia, st.vincent, barbados
>at Tarouba Trinidad, as you say no Queens park, plus the 3 venues
>in USA at Dallas, Miami and Long island. There must be more that havnt
>confirmed yet. Surely theyll have 1 in Kingston Jamaica? What about Guyana?
>I spose they might be worried that Venezuela invades. It all surely should have
>been sorted by now.
>
>mike

New York GAA play in the Irish championship and cup. They don't play
in the league but London do.

max.it