What scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? -- J. D. Farley

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Man arrested after cyclist struck with rock on trail

SubjectAuthor
* Man arrested after cyclist struck with rock on trailswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Man arrested after cyclist struck with rock on trailSpike
+* Re: Man arrested after cyclist struck with rock on trailJNugent
+- Re: Man arrested after cyclist struck with rock on trailswldx...@gmail.com
`* Re: Man arrested after cyclist struck with rock on trailswldx...@gmail.com
 `- Re: Man arrested after cyclist struck with rock on trailswldx...@gmail.com

1
Man arrested after cyclist struck with rock on trail

<f36c4c77-9e11-4c73-8948-224009865b6an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29349&group=uk.rec.cycling#29349

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 06:57:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Man arrested after cyclist struck with rock on trail
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 13:57 UTC

A man has been arrested after allegedly assaulting a cyclist with a rock in Kamloops earlier this week.

Kamloops RCMP said a suspect was quickly taken into custody after Mounties witnessed the assault on a trail under Halston Bridge at Schubert Drive just after 1 p.m. on Monday.

Officers were in the area for a well-being check when they witnessed the cyclist being struck with what appeared to be a rock as she rode under the bridge.

The cyclist was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

“Police immediately identified and arrested a suspect under the bridge deck for assault with a weapon. He was lodged in cells as officers conducted their initial investigation, and later released with a court date and conditions,” Cpl. Crystal Evelyn said in a news release Wednesday, adding that charge recommendations are anticipated.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/man-arrested-after-cyclist-struck-with-rock-on-kamloops-trail-rcmp-say-1.6423512

Re: Man arrested after cyclist struck with rock on trail

<ke3mffFc6dmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29351&group=uk.rec.cycling#29351

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 4 Jun 2023 14:47:11 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:47 UTC

So cyclists in Canada are perceived poorly as are those in Australia.

--
Spike

Re: Man arrested after cyclist struck with rock on trail

<ke3ng7FcagfU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29352&group=uk.rec.cycling#29352

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 16:04:39 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 15:04 UTC

> A man has been arrested after allegedly assaulting a cyclist with a rock in Kamloops earlier this week.
>
> Kamloops RCMP said a suspect was quickly taken into custody after Mounties witnessed the assault on a trail under Halston Bridge at Schubert Drive just after 1 p.m. on Monday.
>
> Officers were in the area for a well-being check when they witnessed the cyclist being struck with what appeared to be a rock as she rode under the bridge.
>
> The cyclist was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
>
> “Police immediately identified and arrested a suspect under the bridge deck for assault with a weapon. He was lodged in cells as officers conducted their initial investigation, and later released with a court date and conditions,” Cpl. Crystal Evelyn said in a news release Wednesday, adding that charge recommendations are anticipated.
>
> https://bc.ctvnews.ca/man-arrested-after-cyclist-struck-with-rock-on-kamloops-trail-rcmp-say-1.6423512

Kamloops... is that near 'Ull?

If not, which part of the UK?

Re: Man arrested after cyclist struck with rock on trail

<2bc0bf04-608d-4ff8-ab0f-4c7425ee9876n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29355&group=uk.rec.cycling#29355

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 08:30:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 15:30 UTC

QUOTE: “Police immediately identified and arrested a suspect under the bridge deck for assault with a weapon. ENDS

Bloody hell - if only the thugs on the trails in the UK could be caught as quickly whenever they put nails and tacks out for cyclists. The people who throw rocks off motorway bridges can go about their business though as they are no danger to us.

Re: Man arrested after cyclist struck with rock on trail

<ke3p8cFcjlaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29358&group=uk.rec.cycling#29358

From: Aero.Spike@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 4 Jun 2023 15:34:36 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 15:34 UTC

JNugent <jenningsandco@mail.com> wrote:
> On 04/06/2023 02:57 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> https://bc.ctvnews.ca/man-arrested-after-cyclist-struck-with-rock-on-kamloops-trail-rcmp-say-1.6423512

> Kamloops... is that near 'Ull?

> If not, which part of the UK?

I thought that Kamloops was something that was a service item on some
motor-vehicles.

--
Spike

Re: Man arrested after cyclist struck with rock on trail

<b7ce9cf1-396a-41d8-87ce-9800e89cb3e0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29361&group=uk.rec.cycling#29361

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 09:01:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 16:01 UTC

One motorist was injured and the occupants of two other vehicles were covered in glass after bricks and rocks thrown from the North West's motorway bridges smashed through windscreens. North West Motorway Police said the incidents were among ten reports they received over the weekend of children and teenagers causing disturbances across the region's motorway network, with youngsters also allegedly climbing up motorway signs.

On Sunday evening, North West Motorway Police posted a disturbing photograph of one of the large rocks that caused damage to unsuspecting car occupants. The picture was accompanied by the following words: "Yet another incident relating to youths throwing bricks off bridges - another two vehicles damaged and occupants of vehicles covered in glass.

"This is the rock that was found by our Highways colleagues. We will deal accordingly if youths are found."

In an earlier tweet, on the same day and same account, a North West Motorway Police spokesperson had said: "Over this weekend alone we have had 10 incidents involving children and teenagers on the network, climbing the signs and actually throwing bricks from bridges injuring a driver as it went through a windscreen. This is not acceptable. Parents do you know where your children are!"

Only last month, Greater Manchester Police superintendent Julie Ellison also issued a warning to the "reckless" offenders who were throwing bricks off the bridges of the region's motorway network. She said: "It goes without saying that behaviour such as this is reckless and puts multiple lives in unnecessary danger.

"Not only can it cause serious damage to vehicles but, even more worryingly, it can result in serious injury to those travelling in the vehicle and potentially cause a devastating collision. We already have officers patrolling known locations, who will not hesitate to take action against perpetrators, to ensure that those travelling can do so safely, so I would encourage young people to think about the consequences of a spilt second silly decision or an attempt to show off, because it can have serious consequences for them and others."

Re: Man arrested after cyclist struck with rock on trail

<ke3sg7Fd1skU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29366&group=uk.rec.cycling#29366

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:29:59 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 16:29 UTC

On 04/06/2023 04:34 pm, Spike wrote:
> JNugent <jenningsandco@mail.com> wrote:
>> On 04/06/2023 02:57 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>> https://bc.ctvnews.ca/man-arrested-after-cyclist-struck-with-rock-on-kamloops-trail-rcmp-say-1.6423512
>
>> Kamloops... is that near 'Ull?
>
>> If not, which part of the UK?
>
> I thought that Kamloops was something that was a service item on some
> motor-vehicles.

It has always reminded me of those adjustable signs hung inside the
front doors of corner shops (to be seen through the glass).

C L O O P S E N D

Re: Man arrested after cyclist struck with rock on trail

<ke3t4iFd55rU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29368&group=uk.rec.cycling#29368

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:40:50 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 16:40 UTC

On 04/06/2023 05:29 pm, JNugent wrote:

> On 04/06/2023 04:34 pm, Spike wrote:
>> JNugent <jenningsandco@mail.com> wrote:

>>> Kamloops... is that near 'Ull?
>
>>> If not, which part of the UK?
>
>> I thought that Kamloops was something that was a service item on some
>> motor-vehicles.

:-)

> It has always reminded me of those adjustable signs hung inside the
> front doors of corner shops (to be seen through the glass).
>
> C  L O O P S E N D

Correction:

C L O O P S E E N D (an important distinction)

It always looked Dutch to me.

Re: Man arrested after cyclist struck with rock on trail

<e87209f6-19f7-401e-800e-344a65977bfan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29372&group=uk.rec.cycling#29372

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 10:48:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:48 UTC

Drivers have been urged to be careful after rocks were dropped off a motorway bridge onto the M40 below - leaving a windscreen smashed.

The stones were flung off the M40 overbridge just before the northbound exit slip road for Stokenchurch, from the direction of Wycombe, at junction 5 at around 10pm on Wednesday night.

One driver shared photos on social media of his damaged windscreen after a stone hit his vehicle to warn fellow motorists about the danger.

Fortunately no one was injured, but it could have been a very different story if he had a passenger with him at the time - because the impact caused glass to fly everywhere.

There have been a string of similar incidents reported across the country, where motorists have narrowly avoided injury by rock-throwing thugs.

In August 2019, a rock that was thrown from a bridge over the M62 in Merseyside missed a truck driver's head by inches.

Meanwhile in America, two people were killed in two separate incidents when rocks and sandbags were thrown from highway overpasses by teenagers in 2017.