Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart, what is true.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Spin to Win?

SubjectAuthor
* Spin to Win?mike
+* Re: Spin to Win?John Hall
|+- Re: Spin to Win?FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
|`* Re: Spin to Win?miked
| `* Re: Spin to Win?John Hall
|  +* Re: Spin to Win?Richard Dixon
|  |`- Re: Spin to Win?John Hall
|  `* Re: Spin to Win?miked
|   +* Re: Spin to Win?FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
|   |+* Re: Spin to Win?jack fredricks
|   ||`- Re: Spin to Win?FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
|   |`* Re: Spin to Win?John Hall
|   | +- Re: Spin to Win?John Hall
|   | `- Re: Spin to Win?FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
|   +* Re: Spin to Win?David North
|   |`- Re: Spin to Win?miked
|   +* Re: Spin to Win?John Hall
|   |+- Re: Spin to Win?miked
|   |`- Re: Spin to Win?FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
|   `* Re: Spin to Win?John Hall
|    `- Re: Spin to Win?John Hall
`- Re: Spin to Win?FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer

1
Spin to Win?

<10f89b07-f508-46d5-922a-0f69d1857194n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29480&group=uk.sport.cricket#29480

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 07:13:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Spin to Win?
From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:13 UTC

India pick 4 spinners but also 4 seamers for the squad for 1st 2 tests.
why do they need 3 keepers for a series at home?

Rohit Sharma (captain), Shubman Gill, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul (wk), KS Bharat (wk), Dhruv Jurel (wk), Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Siraj, Mukesh Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah (vice-captain), Avesh Khan.

mike

Re: Spin to Win?

<Ijnh4hAeNrplFw0h@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29481&group=uk.sport.cricket#29481

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Spin to Win?
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 16:48:30 +0000
 by: John Hall - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 16:48 UTC

In message <10f89b07-f508-46d5-922a-0f69d1857194n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>India pick 4 spinners but also 4 seamers for the squad for 1st 2 tests.
>why do they need 3 keepers for a series at home?
>
> Rohit Sharma (captain), Shubman Gill, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Virat Kohli,
>Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul (wk), KS Bharat (wk), Dhruv Jurel (wk),
>Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav,
>Mohammed Siraj, Mukesh Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah (vice-captain), Avesh Khan.
>
>mike

Maybe Rahul is in the squad primarily as a batsman. Are Pujara and
Rahane injured, out of form or just out of favour these days?
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: Spin to Win?

<d265f27d-ecb1-4213-9f77-3d8c8a8deb27@america.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29482&group=uk.sport.cricket#29482

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 11:16:36 -0800
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 19:16 UTC

On 1/16/2024 7:13 AM, mike wrote:
> India pick 4 spinners but also 4 seamers for the squad for 1st 2 tests.
> why do they need 3 keepers for a series at home?
>
> Rohit Sharma (captain), Shubman Gill, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul (wk), KS Bharat (wk), Dhruv Jurel (wk), Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Siraj, Mukesh Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah (vice-captain), Avesh Khan.
>
> mike

Team management already TOLD the selectors that KL Rahul will NOT be
keeping wickets in tests.

KL Rahul will be playing purely as a batsman.

That's why they picked newbie Dhruv Jurel (wk) as a back up for KS Bharat.

Re: Spin to Win?

<ad149ec7-dd1d-4e9e-bda3-a3e315e4b0a3@america.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29483&group=uk.sport.cricket#29483

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 11:22:08 -0800
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 19:22 UTC

On 1/16/2024 8:48 AM, John Hall wrote:
> In message <10f89b07-f508-46d5-922a-0f69d1857194n@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> India pick 4 spinners but also 4 seamers for the squad for 1st 2 tests.
>> why do they need 3 keepers for a series at home?
>>
>> Rohit Sharma (captain), Shubman Gill, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Virat Kohli,
>> Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul (wk), KS Bharat (wk), Dhruv Jurel (wk),
>> Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav,
>> Mohammed Siraj, Mukesh Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah (vice-captain), Avesh Khan.
>>
>> mike
>
> Maybe Rahul is in the squad primarily as a batsman. Are Pujara and
> Rahane injured, out of form or just out of favour these days?

Pujara was out of form before he was dropped from tests and now team
management wants to move on from both Pujara and Rahane who are close to
mid-thirties.

Re: Spin to Win?

<ad5ad0aaf519228b7e57e938a581c3f4@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29484&group=uk.sport.cricket#29484

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 20:49:37 +0000
 by: miked - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 20:49 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <10f89b07-f508-46d5-922a-0f69d1857194n@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>India pick 4 spinners but also 4 seamers for the squad for 1st 2 tests.
>>why do they need 3 keepers for a series at home?
>>
>> Rohit Sharma (captain), Shubman Gill, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Virat Kohli,
>>Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul (wk), KS Bharat (wk), Dhruv Jurel (wk),
>>Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav,
>>Mohammed Siraj, Mukesh Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah (vice-captain), Avesh Khan.
>>
>>mike

> Maybe Rahul is in the squad primarily as a batsman.

true, i notice jurel made 50 vs the lions whos bowlers got a bazball thrashing
233 vs 462-8, and then the game ended, 2 days! whats the point? even the victorians
had 3 day matches. daft. that said, how many of the tests will go beyond 3 days?
if the pitches are similar to the ones oz played on last year might not get to
even 3.

mike

Re: Spin to Win?

<+2aECFDeiBqlFwqK@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29485&group=uk.sport.cricket#29485

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 18:12:46 +0000
 by: John Hall - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 18:12 UTC

In message <ad5ad0aaf519228b7e57e938a581c3f4@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>John Hall wrote:
>
>> In message <10f89b07-f508-46d5-922a-0f69d1857194n@googlegroups.com>,
>>mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>>India pick 4 spinners but also 4 seamers for the squad for 1st 2 tests.
>>>why do they need 3 keepers for a series at home?
>>>
>>> Rohit Sharma (captain), Shubman Gill, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Virat Kohli,
>>>Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul (wk), KS Bharat (wk), Dhruv Jurel (wk),
>>>Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav,
>>>Mohammed Siraj, Mukesh Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah (vice-captain), Avesh Khan.
>>>
>>>mike
>
>> Maybe Rahul is in the squad primarily as a batsman.
>
>true, i notice jurel made 50 vs the lions whos bowlers got a bazball thrashing
>233 vs 462-8, and then the game ended, 2 days! whats the point? even
>the victorians
>had 3 day matches. daft. that said, how many of the tests will go
>beyond 3 days?
>if the pitches are similar to the ones oz played on last year might not get to
>even 3.
>
>mike

The second (?) India A v England Lions match has he Lions 382-3 at the
end of day 1. And it's supposed to be a 4-day match.

Meanwhile I see it's been announced that the Test series will be
broadcast in the UK by TNT Sport following an 11-th hour deal, with
TalkSport having the UK radio rights.

All five Tests are being played at what seem like relatively obscure
venues. I suppose the reasoning is that, given that Tests in India
usually only attract small crowds nowadays, it's better to play them at
smaller grounds so that they will be reasonably full. There may also be
bigger attendances if the matches are played in places that rarely get
to see international cricket.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Spin to Win?

<cdaf0eea-12eb-46c0-aadf-8dfbc380cb93n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29486&group=uk.sport.cricket#29486

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 13:37:54 -0800 (PST)
From: richsdixon1975@gmail.com (Richard Dixon)
 by: Richard Dixon - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 21:37 UTC

On Wednesday 17 January 2024 at 18:15:57 UTC, John Hall wrote:

> The second (?) India A v England Lions match has he Lions 382-3 at the
> end of day 1. And it's supposed to be a 4-day match.

I wonder if Jennings will get a promotion into the 1st Team...I was surprised he wasn't picked actually.

Re: Spin to Win?

<df9d1a8a08518bc4a488668233148581@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29487&group=uk.sport.cricket#29487

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 21:55:23 +0000
 by: miked - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 21:55 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <ad5ad0aaf519228b7e57e938a581c3f4@www.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>John Hall wrote:
>>
>>> In message <10f89b07-f508-46d5-922a-0f69d1857194n@googlegroups.com>,
>>>mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>>> Maybe Rahul is in the squad primarily as a batsman.
>>
>>true, i notice jurel made 50 vs the lions whos bowlers got a bazball thrashing
>>233 vs 462-8, and then the game ended, 2 days! whats the point? even
>>the victorians
>>had 3 day matches. daft. that said, how many of the tests will go
>>beyond 3 days?
>>if the pitches are similar to the ones oz played on last year might not get to
>>even 3.
>>
>>mike

> The second (?) India A v England Lions match has he Lions 382-3 at the
> end of day 1. And it's supposed to be a 4-day match.

i think the rest are all 4 days, which makes the first 2 day afffair
even odder. perhaps the ecb wanted guarenteed draw to avoid a whitewash.
But Jennings did rather well, wouldnt be surprised if both he and lees
are opening for the test team by the end. I cant see creepy and ducky
doing well in india. Just how is bazball going to wok in india? I spose
MH could explain it if he was still around, i might not agree but
he could explain it.

> Meanwhile I see it's been announced that the Test series will be
> broadcast in the UK by TNT Sport following an 11-th hour deal, with
> TalkSport having the UK radio rights.

talkshite are ghastly for any sport.

> All five Tests are being played at what seem like relatively obscure
> venues. I suppose the reasoning is that, given that Tests in India
> usually only attract small crowds nowadays, it's better to play them at
> smaller grounds so that they will be reasonably full. There may also be
> bigger attendances if the matches are played in places that rarely get
> to see international cricket.

yes no calcutta bombay and so on, no chennai either, but the 1st is at hyderabad
which is pretty big place i think, and the last is in the mountains at dharamsala
where i think england actually won a match in the WC!

mike

Re: Spin to Win?

<87c614b5-c159-4b38-ac45-d6bbdc928bdc@america.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29489&group=uk.sport.cricket#29489

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 21:34:55 -0800
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 05:34 UTC

On 1/17/2024 1:55 PM, miked wrote:
> John Hall wrote:
>
>> In message <ad5ad0aaf519228b7e57e938a581c3f4@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>>> true, i notice jurel made 50 vs the lions whos bowlers got a bazball
>>> thrashing
>>> 233 vs 462-8, and then the game ended, 2 days! whats the point? even
>>> the victorians
>>> had 3 day matches. daft. that said, how many of the tests will go
>>> beyond 3 days?
>>> if the pitches are similar to the ones oz played on last year might
>>> not get to
>>> even 3.
>>>
>>> mike
>
>> The second (?) India A v England Lions match has he Lions 382-3 at the
>> end of day 1. And it's supposed to be a 4-day match.
>
> i think the rest are all 4 days, which makes the first 2 day afffair
> even odder. perhaps the ecb wanted  guarenteed draw to avoid a whitewash.
> But Jennings did rather well, wouldnt be surprised if both he and lees
> are opening for the test team by the end. I cant see creepy and ducky
> doing well in india. Just how is bazball going to wok in india? I spose
> MH could explain it if he was still around, i might not agree but
> he could explain it.
>
>> Meanwhile I see it's been announced that the Test series will be
>> broadcast in the UK by TNT Sport following an 11-th hour deal, with
>> TalkSport having the UK radio rights.
>
> talkshite are ghastly for any sport.
>
>> All five Tests are being played at what seem like relatively obscure
>> venues. I suppose the reasoning is that, given that Tests in India
>> usually only attract small crowds nowadays, it's better to play them
>> at smaller grounds so that they will be reasonably full. There may
>> also be bigger attendances if the matches are played in places that
>> rarely get to see international cricket.
>
> yes no calcutta bombay and so on, no chennai either, but the 1st is at
> hyderabad
> which is pretty big place i think, and the last is in the mountains at
> dharamsala
> where i think england actually won a match in the WC!
>
> mike

I will be watching England vs India Hyderabad test match at the ground
at least a couple of days and may be more if time permits.

Re: Spin to Win?

<c2deade3-23ce-4980-92fa-c69c0afe0855n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29490&group=uk.sport.cricket#29490

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 23:28:32 -0800 (PST)
From: jzfredricks@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 07:28 UTC

On Thursday, January 18, 2024 at 3:34:57 PM UTC+10, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> I will be watching England vs India Hyderabad test match at the ground
> at least a couple of days and may be more if time permits.

That's exciting! I've always wanted to see a Test series in India. Do you have a favourite ground?

Re: Spin to Win?

<l0s50nFb5qfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29491&group=uk.sport.cricket#29491

From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 08:15:18 +0000
 by: David North - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 08:15 UTC

On 17/01/2024 21:55, miked wrote:
> John Hall wrote:
>
>> In message <ad5ad0aaf519228b7e57e938a581c3f4@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>>> true, i notice jurel made 50 vs the lions whos bowlers got a bazball
>>> thrashing
>>> 233 vs 462-8, and then the game ended, 2 days! whats the point? even
>>> the victorians
>>> had 3 day matches. daft. that said, how many of the tests will go
>>> beyond 3 days?
>>> if the pitches are similar to the ones oz played on last year might
>>> not get to
>>> even 3.
>>>
>>> mike
>
>> The second (?) India A v England Lions match has he Lions 382-3 at the
>> end of day 1. And it's supposed to be a 4-day match.
>
> i think the rest are all 4 days, which makes the first 2 day afffair
> even odder. perhaps the ecb wanted  guarenteed draw to avoid a whitewash.

The 2-day match was not part of the unoffical Test series, just a
warm-up match, which is more than the senior side has.

> But Jennings did rather well, wouldnt be surprised if both he and lees
> are opening for the test team by the end. I cant see creepy and ducky
> doing well in india. Just how is bazball going to wok in india?

It can't do much worse than England's batting on the last tour of India.
Root's 218 in the first innings of the series was higher than any of
England's other 7 totals.

In that series, all 3 of England's openers scored more in their first
innings of the series than in all of their others put together:

Sibley 87 followed by 47 in 7 innings
Burns 33 followed by 25 in 3 innings
Crawley, who replaced Burns for the 3rd Test, 53 followed by 14 in 3 innings

So maybe the answer is to use a different pair of openers for each Test. ;)

--
David North

Re: Spin to Win?

<WCbOfBEZ7EqlFwc2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29492&group=uk.sport.cricket#29492

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 22:04:09 +0000
 by: John Hall - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 22:04 UTC

In message <cdaf0eea-12eb-46c0-aadf-8dfbc380cb93n@googlegroups.com>,
Richard Dixon <richsdixon1975@gmail.com> writes
>On Wednesday 17 January 2024 at 18:15:57 UTC, John Hall wrote:
>
>> The second (?) India A v England Lions match has he Lions 382-3 at the
>> end of day 1. And it's supposed to be a 4-day match.
>
>I wonder if Jennings will get a promotion into the 1st Team...I was
>surprised he wasn't picked actually.

Unusually for an opener, he seems much better against spin than against
pace. But of course India do have Bumrah and Siraj.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Spin to Win?

<d7b09909db7668c6c2d1601baa1a6157@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29495&group=uk.sport.cricket#29495

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 13:00:42 +0000
 by: miked - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 13:00 UTC

David North wrote:

> On 17/01/2024 21:55, miked wrote:
>> i think the rest are all 4 days, which makes the first 2 day afffair
>> even odder. perhaps the ecb wanted  guarenteed draw to avoid a whitewash.

> The 2-day match was not part of the unoffical Test series, just a
> warm-up match, which is more than the senior side has.

>> But Jennings did rather well, wouldnt be surprised if both he and lees
>> are opening for the test team by the end. I cant see creepy and ducky
>> doing well in india. Just how is bazball going to wok in india?

> It can't do much worse than England's batting on the last tour of India.
> Root's 218 in the first innings of the series was higher than any of
> England's other 7 totals.

yes its a very low bar they have to exceed, but they did win a match
that time, which is more than i can see them doing this. after that
last tour we really should have agreed to only 3 tests like oz did
last year. i guess money has to do with it.

Meanwhile at ahmedabad where i think england were spun 2x to defeat
last time, Lions 553-8, india 215-8, one chap 140no, remarkable
effort, similar to Head at adelaide. without him oz might have
been embarrassed, but windies flimsy batting means the games
almost over.

mike

Re: Spin to Win?

<3405d1a0-2393-4828-ba79-67243ec05e47@america.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29499&group=uk.sport.cricket#29499

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 06:07:58 -0800
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 14:07 UTC

On 1/17/2024 11:28 PM, jack fredricks wrote:
> On Thursday, January 18, 2024 at 3:34:57 PM UTC+10, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
>> I will be watching England vs India Hyderabad test match at the ground
>> at least a couple of days and may be more if time permits.
>
> That's exciting! I've always wanted to see a Test series in India. Do you have a favourite ground?

Not really.

I have favorite test matches on some grounds but NOT grounds themselves.

But for scenic beauty and weather, Dharmasala is a hands down winner for me.

Re: Spin to Win?

<JxOA3aBiaVqlFws$@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29503&group=uk.sport.cricket#29503

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 16:49:38 +0000
 by: John Hall - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 16:49 UTC

In message <87c614b5-c159-4b38-ac45-d6bbdc928bdc@america.com>,
FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com>
writes
>I will be watching England vs India Hyderabad test match at the ground
>at least a couple of days and may be more if time permits.

I hope you have some entertaining cricket to watch. I expect you will;
England are usually good to watch and the modern England - whether they
play well or badly - don't do boring.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Spin to Win?

<NxCB3BBSYVqlFwsy@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29504&group=uk.sport.cricket#29504

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 16:47:14 +0000
 by: John Hall - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 16:47 UTC

In message <df9d1a8a08518bc4a488668233148581@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>John Hall wrote:
>
>> The second (?) India A v England Lions match has he Lions 382-3 at
>>the end of day 1. And it's supposed to be a 4-day match.
>
>i think the rest are all 4 days, which makes the first 2 day afffair
>even odder. perhaps the ecb wanted guarenteed draw to avoid a whitewash.
>But Jennings did rather well, wouldnt be surprised if both he and lees
>are opening for the test team by the end. I cant see creepy and ducky
>doing well in india. Just how is bazball going to wok in india? I spose
>MH could explain it if he was still around, i might not agree but
>he could explain it.

I'm not sure about Crawley, but I'd have thought that Duckett's game
should be quite well suited to India.

>> Meanwhile I see it's been announced that the Test series will be
>>broadcast in the UK by TNT Sport following an 11-th hour deal, with
>>TalkSport having the UK radio rights.
>
>talkshite are ghastly for any sport.
>
>> All five Tests are being played at what seem like relatively obscure
>>venues. I suppose the reasoning is that, given that Tests in India
>>usually only attract small crowds nowadays, it's better to play them
>>at smaller grounds so that they will be reasonably full. There may
>>also be bigger attendances if the matches are played in places that
>>rarely get to see international cricket.
>
>yes no calcutta bombay and so on, no chennai either, but the 1st is at
>hyderabad
>which is pretty big place i think, and the last is in the mountains at
>dharamsala
>where i think england actually won a match in the WC!
>
>mike

Yes. It's a very picturesque venue, with the Himalayas as the back-drop.
I imagine it could get quite chilly there at this time of year.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Spin to Win?

<qB6I7HDxeVqlFwq+@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29505&group=uk.sport.cricket#29505

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 16:54:09 +0000
 by: John Hall - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 16:54 UTC

In message <JxOA3aBiaVqlFws$@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>In message <87c614b5-c159-4b38-ac45-d6bbdc928bdc@america.com>,
>FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com>
>writes
>>I will be watching England vs India Hyderabad test match at the ground
>>at least a couple of days and may be more if time permits.
>
>I hope you have some entertaining cricket to watch. I expect you will;
>England are usually good to watch and the modern England - whether they
>play well or badly - don't do boring.

Oops! The first "England" was meant to be "India".
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Spin to Win?

<dc6ee6fea4ac599751fe860e99758968@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29509&group=uk.sport.cricket#29509

From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 16:56:40 +0000
 by: miked - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 16:56 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <df9d1a8a08518bc4a488668233148581@www.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>John Hall wrote:
>>
>>> All five Tests are being played at what seem like relatively obscure
>>>venues. I suppose the reasoning is that, given that Tests in India
>>>usually only attract small crowds nowadays, it's better to play them
>>>at smaller grounds so that they will be reasonably full. There may
>>>also be bigger attendances if the matches are played in places that
>>>rarely get to see international cricket.
>>
>>yes no calcutta bombay and so on, no chennai either, but the 1st is at
>>hyderabad
>>which is pretty big place i think, and the last is in the mountains at
>>dharamsala
>>where i think england actually won a match in the WC!
>>
>>mike

> Yes. It's a very picturesque venue, with the Himalayas as the back-drop.
> I imagine it could get quite chilly there at this time of year.

I think technically the mountains have another name the ?daladars,
but they are part of the himalays, even if as David pointed out,
everest [or Chomolungma/Sagarmatha] isnt visible.

but going back to my original point, what bowlers will india choose?
I assume the spin twins ashwin and jadega plus bumrah and siraj, but
who will be the 5th? a 3rd pacer? Kumar or Avesh, neither i've seen much
of, or a 3rd spinner Axar [who did so much damage last time] or Yadav?

mike

Re: Spin to Win?

<b3eb9ce2-7eee-44e8-937e-a4cce1dbb2bf@america.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29510&group=uk.sport.cricket#29510

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 09:09:01 -0800
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 17:09 UTC

On 1/18/2024 8:47 AM, John Hall wrote:
> In message <df9d1a8a08518bc4a488668233148581@www.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> John Hall wrote:
>>
>>> The second (?) India A v England Lions match has he Lions 382-3 at
>>> the end of day 1. And it's supposed to be a 4-day match.
>>
>> i think the rest are all 4 days, which makes the first 2 day afffair
>> even odder. perhaps the ecb wanted  guarenteed draw to avoid a whitewash.
>> But Jennings did rather well, wouldnt be surprised if both he and lees
>> are opening for the test team by the end. I cant see creepy and ducky
>> doing well in india. Just how is bazball going to wok in india? I spose
>> MH could explain it if he was still around, i might not agree but
>> he could explain it.
>
> I'm not sure about Crawley, but I'd have thought that Duckett's game
> should be quite well suited to India.
>>
>>> Meanwhile I see it's been announced that the Test series will be
>>> broadcast in the UK by TNT Sport following an 11-th hour deal, with
>>> TalkSport having the UK radio rights.
>>
>> talkshite are ghastly for any sport.
>>
>>> All five Tests are being played at what seem like relatively obscure
>>> venues. I suppose the reasoning is that, given that Tests in India
>>> usually only attract small crowds nowadays, it's better to play them
>>> at  smaller grounds so that they will be reasonably full. There may
>>> also be  bigger attendances if the matches are played in places that
>>> rarely get  to see international cricket.
>>
>> yes no calcutta bombay and so on, no chennai either, but the 1st is at
>> hyderabad
>> which is pretty big place i think, and the last is in the mountains at
>> dharamsala
>> where i think england actually won a match in the WC!
>>
>> mike
>
> Yes. It's a very picturesque venue, with the Himalayas as the back-drop.
> I imagine it could get quite chilly there at this time of year.

Yes, it will be very chilly which will be advantageous to England since
their bodies are more used to cold weather than Indian players.

Re: Spin to Win?

<68509429-ceb9-4ae9-8a03-99ecfe4bd593@america.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29511&group=uk.sport.cricket#29511

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 09:15:57 -0800
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 17:15 UTC

On 1/18/2024 8:49 AM, John Hall wrote:
> In message <87c614b5-c159-4b38-ac45-d6bbdc928bdc@america.com>,
> FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes
>> I will be watching England vs India Hyderabad test match at the ground
>> at least a couple of days and may be more if time permits.
>
> I hope you have some entertaining cricket to watch. I expect you will;
> England are usually good to watch and the modern England - whether they
> play well or badly - don't do boring.

I am sure I will, especially with England playing bazball, it will NEVER
be boring.

I started watching England test matches when they are playing other
teams like Australia, Pakistan etc AFTER bazball philosophy because
England made test cricket very entertaining.

I always enjoy close matches than one sided matches whether they be in
test cricket or ODIs and T20s.

Hopefully it will be a cracker of a game in Hyderabad.

The weather will be nice with NO rain and hence it will boil down to
what kind of pitch will be offered.

Re: Spin to Win?

<3mp28jByN6qlFw7T@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29515&group=uk.sport.cricket#29515

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 10:41:54 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 10:41 UTC

In message <df9d1a8a08518bc4a488668233148581@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>John Hall wrote:
>
>> In message <ad5ad0aaf519228b7e57e938a581c3f4@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>>>true, i notice jurel made 50 vs the lions whos bowlers got a bazball
>>>thrashing
>>>233 vs 462-8, and then the game ended, 2 days! whats the point? even
>>>the victorians
>>>had 3 day matches. daft. that said, how many of the tests will go
>>>beyond 3 days?
>>>if the pitches are similar to the ones oz played on last year might
>>>not get to
>>>even 3.
>>>
>>>mike
>
>> The second (?) India A v England Lions match has he Lions 382-3 at
>>the end of day 1. And it's supposed to be a 4-day match.
>
>i think the rest are all 4 days, which makes the first 2 day afffair
>even odder. perhaps the ecb wanted guarenteed draw to avoid a whitewash.
>But Jennings did rather well, wouldnt be surprised if both he and lees
>are opening for the test team by the end. I cant see creepy and ducky
>doing well in india. Just how is bazball going to wok in india? I spose
>MH could explain it if he was still around, i might not agree but
>he could explain it.
<snip>

I see that India A now look like they will get what had seemed like a
very demanding target, thanks largely to Bharat, who must have done his
chances of being chosen as the keeper for the first Test no harm at all.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Spin to Win?

<hcjfO$A5$ArlFwS9@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29517&group=uk.sport.cricket#29517

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 18:24:57 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 18:24 UTC

In message <3mp28jByN6qlFw7T@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
> see that India A now look like they will get what had seemed like a
>very demanding target, thanks largely to Bharat, who must have done his
>chances of being chosen as the keeper for the first Test no harm at all.

In the end India ran out of time, even though they scored at close to 4
rpo.